Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2007, 09:33   #1
BHPian

Bangalore-New Delhi-Jaipur-Agra-Shimla

Hi Guys,

I plan to do a 12 day trip to New Delhi,Jaipur,Agra,Shimla (if possible Manali too).This is my first trip to North India.Its a family trip with me, my wife and my 1 year old baby.I need your suggestions on the route/plan/stay/transportation etc.Delhi will be my hub.

Heres the plan:

Day 1:Reach New Delhi by flight from Bangalore.

Day 2:Go sightseeing to Jaipur.I am not sure if this can be arranged by the hotel guys.Can they?

Can we cover Jaipur and come back to Delhi the same day?

If we need to stay in Jaipur can any one suggest a decent budget hotel at around max Rs.1000 (inclusive of taxes) per day?

How far is Jaipur from Delhi?What is the best mode of transportation?If I hire a cab , what will be the rate (including tips)?

Day 3:If the above works out then get to Agra, go sightseeing and come back to New Delhi on the same day.
How far is Agra from Delhi?What is the best mode of transportation?If I hire a cab , what will be the rate (including tips)?
What would be the Delhi like in August end/september begining?
What are places that we can visit
Day 4elhi-> Shimla
Destination Shimla - Get a train to Kalka from Delhi (at 5.30 am )and from Kalka catch the 'Himalayan Queen' hill train (at 12.30)to Shimla.I wanted to book A/C Chair Car.My wife prefers second class sitting.I am little worried that inspite of having reserved tickets (which I plan to have) there may be some people who would want to share seat with us .I heard that this is the case with most of N.India.(Sorry, If I hurt any one) I do not want to take up any fight/argument.I have heard from many people who have travelled to north having experienced this.

Guys,do I need to book the A/C or not?Again another reason why I am asking this is we really wanted to enjoy the hill climb by the toy train from Kalka?If we are closed in A/C we won't be having much fun enjoying this journey.I need your sugegstions guys.Again this will be my first hill climbing in a train.

What is a decent hotel to check in at Shimla at around 1200 per day rate?

Do the hotel people arrange for daly sight seeing?
How is Shimla duirng this time (1st week of September)?
What are the main places to visit?

Day 5 and 6:Sight seeing in Shimla.

Day 7 : If possible travel to Manali from Shimla.
What would be the best mode of transportation?I know it takes 8-9 hrs of journey to Manali from Shimla.I am not sure of travelling by bus (even Volvo) since I am not sure how my baby would adjust to it (a long journey).If I hire a cab to Manali how much would it cost me?

Day 8,9: Saty in Manalui for sight seeing.

Day 10:Travel back to Delhi via Chandigarh?Again can I book a train or bus is the only way.What will be the distance and the time to cover that?

Day 11:Sight seeing/shopping in Delhi
Please let me know some important places to visit in Delhi.I know I can't cover all, but still.

Day 12:Prepare for the return flight to Bangalore.

Guys, please throw in your suggestions and valuable inputs.

NOTE:Manali trip is just optional, but I do not want to miss it since it not very often that we visit these places in future.I was thinking og skipping Shimla for Manali.But my wife is against it.

Thanks,
Old 8th June 2007, 11:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blrboy View Post

Day 2:Go sightseeing to Jaipur.I am not sure if this can be arranged by the hotel guys.Can they?
Yes they can surely arrange for it...
Quote:

If we need to stay in Jaipur can any one suggest a decent budget hotel at around max Rs.1000 (inclusive of taxes) per day?
Same day is impossible unless u just wanna touch down Jaipur n return...
Mahalakshmi hotel is good...Details i'll confirm n let u know later
Quote:
How far is Jaipur from Delhi?What is the best mode of transportation?If I hire a cab , what will be the rate (including tips)?
300+ kms By road its good...n the highway is just perfect but could be boring too
Quote:
Day 3:If the above works out then get to Agra, go sightseeing and come back to New Delhi on the same day.
Yes this can be done in a day but there's nothing in Agra for sightseeing
Quote:
How far is Agra from Delhi?What is the best mode of transportation?If I hire a cab , what will be the rate (including tips)?
200kms from Delhi...There are two options by road or shatabdi provided it should suit your timing
Quote:
Cant predict the climate these days...! I think it will be hot...
Quote:
Please let me know some important places to visit in Delhi.I know I can't cover all, but still.
Lots of places...Depends on what u want to shop..!!
Old 8th June 2007, 11:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

BLRBOY - Here's my suggestion about the Trip:

1. There are quite a few things to see in Jaipur so make it a two-day trip atleast.

2. Arrange your own cab (One of us can help you do it for sure), it'll turn out to be cheaper than what the hotel will get you one for.

3. Agra-Delhi can be done comfrotable in one day provided you start early from Delhi. Around 5am should be fine & should see you back in Delhi arpund 8-9pm.

4. Again this can be done by a cab & is the most convenient.

5. Weather in End-August/September should be fairly ok. Not too bad like we have it right now.

6. Taxi's should cost you around 6-8rs per km for an A/C Indica and overnight charges would be an extra 100rs or so for the driver. Tips are not included in this. However, a tip of 200-300rs should see your driver being reasonably happy.

7. If possible visit both Shimla & Manali, both are worth visiting especially since you're coming down from Bangalore. Also if possible try to do a day trip to Rohtang Pass from Manali, you might like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
KP - Tu maar khayega. Taj Mahal/Fatehpur Sikri/Agra Fort kya Freedabad main hain?
Old 8th June 2007, 11:38   #4
BHPian

Hi Kpzen and raghava,

Thank you very much for your inputs.
Old 8th June 2007, 11:46   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
2. Arrange your own cab (One of us can help you do it for sure), it'll turn out to be cheaper than what the hotel will get you one for.
Thank you Raghav.I will try that option.
Old 8th June 2007, 11:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Mahalakshmi hotel is good...Details i'll confirm n let u know later
Thanks you.I shall wait to hear from you on this.
I would like to know Address/phone no.The room rates etc.

Thanks
Old 8th June 2007, 11:53   #7
Team-BHP Support

AC indica is 5rs/km + 200/day for outstation trips.
In Jaipur you do not need to go to mahalaxmi or a place like that. There is 50% off season discount in most hotels at that time. Check out the adversts. Book a 2N package, you need atleast 1 full day in Jaipur.

On the Manali shimla front I do not recommend a cab from Delhi.

1. Go to Kalka via train, and then take the hill train to shimla. Best option. Its really enjoyable
2. For Shimla to Manali, visit HP tourism office in Bangalore(google for their site and agent addresses) and book a sleeper Volvo.
3. At manali take a Sumo to Rohtang
4. Coming back from Manali book a overnight sleeper(HP toursim again) to delhi.
Old 8th June 2007, 11:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Day 4elhi-> Shimla
Destination Shimla - Get a train to Kalka from Delhi (at 5.30 am )and from Kalka catch the 'Himalayan Queen' hill train (at 12.30)to Shimla.I wanted to book A/C Chair Car.
Why do you want to wait till 12:30PM for Himalayan Queen? Take the Shivalik Express at 5:30AM at Kalka. It is the connecting train and it won't leave the station till the Delhi train arrives.
I doubt any of these toy-trains have AC. 1st class is expensive but they serve breakfast. It reaches Shimla by 11AM - almost 4 hours journey - it can get boring. For 1st time its ok.

Quote:
What is a decent hotel to check in at Shimla at around 1200 per day rate?
You can book online too: Himachal Hotels-Online Reservations for Hotels in Himachal,Air flights,HRTC Buses,Car Rentals
Which ever it is, book close to Mall Road.

Quote:
I am little worried that inspite of having reserved tickets (which I plan to have) there may be some people who would want to share seat with us .I heard that this is the case with most of N.India.(Sorry, If I hurt any one) I do not want to take up any fight/argument.I have heard from many people who have travelled to north having experienced this.
HP is a tourism friendly state. You need not worry these things. All your requirements will be satisfied.

Quote:
http://www.himachaltourism.nic.in/tourspot.htm

Quote:
If I hire a cab to Manali how much would it cost me?
Himachal Hotels-Online Reservations for Hotels in Himachal,Air flights,HRTC Buses,Car Rentals

Quote:
NOTE:Manali trip is just optional, but I do not want to miss it since it not very often that we visit these places in future.I was thinking og skipping Shimla for Manali.But my wife is against it.
Its like visting Bangalore & not visiting Mysore. Do add Manali to the list. If possible visit Rohtang Pass, Manikaran. You can also go for rafting on river Beas near Kulu.

Last edited by msdivy : 8th June 2007 at 12:00.
Old 8th June 2007, 12:03   #9
Team-BHP Support

A word on the hotels, book directly from govt website, or go to their office in Bangalore, I recommend going to office
HP Tourism Development Corporation
Great nice comfy hotels for 1000/night. August is again off season, you can get one for cheaper!
As for the toy train, first time its a very very memorable experience, do not miss it.
Old 8th June 2007, 12:12   #10
BHPian

Thank you msdivy,

Guys,I also checked with the local HP tourism agent in Bangalore.He said he can arrange for Delhi-Shimla-Manali-Delhi, Delhi to Shimla via kalka he said he can arrange for train tickets.The journey from Shimla to Manali is via HTDC bus (not a Volvo too).I am worried about my kid getting adjusted to this long journey.

Does the toy train to shimla from Kalka take the same route as Shivalik Express?

I am asking this because, I do not want to miss the sceneray.I hope this too will be equally enoyable.Is it so?
Old 8th June 2007, 12:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Himachal Tourism organises customised tours also, apart from having bus tours. You can approach any of their offices, they will plan it for you. Which means they will organise their taxi for only your family and plan out the entire itinerary. Ideally, take the cab from Shimla to manali and get droppe doff at Chandigarh. Take the Shatabdi option to Delhi.
Old 8th June 2007, 12:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Day 10:Travel back to Delhi via Chandigarh?Again can I book a train or bus is the only way.What will be the distance and the time to cover that?

Jaipur needs minimum 1 day for sightseeing, better still 2. Ideally, arrive in morning on Day 1, return in the evening of Day 2, or maybe morning of Day 3. Keep aside at least 1 evening free for shopping - lady's clothing, rajais, blankets, precious stones.

You could also take teh Himachal Tourism bus tours from Shimla. They also have buses to go to Manali.

If you take a day trip, it wil take you all day. You can also do overnight trips to save on time.

Manali-Delhi is a very long drive, best is to come upto Chandigarh the most convenient rail head.

Incidentally, now Air Deccan flies from Delhi to Kulu (Bhuntar Airport) - Kulu is 40 kms from Manali en route Chandigarh.
Old 8th June 2007, 12:35   #13
BHPian

I am in touch with the local marketing office of HPTDC.They say they aren't sure about the sleeper coaches for September.He said Volvo coaces are there for sure.He was suggesting to book in Volvo and if the slpeer coaches are available upgrade to it later.
Old 8th June 2007, 12:50   #14
BANNED

Oh My God!

Quote:
Kevin Prasad Sharma mar gaya!
Old 8th June 2007, 12:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion and suggestion.

Quote:

It will be arranged by the hotel guy but keep atleast 2 days for Jaipur for sightseeing and shopping too, otherwise it becomes hectic.

Quote:
If you hire a cab and stay there, you will have to pay overnight + minimum KM run per day, I suggest you also look at an option of Tourism Volvo buses, the distance is quite short.

Quote:

You can go to Agra from Jaipur directly, no need to come back its called the triangle Delhi- Jaipur- Agra. Check the tourism Volvo's schedule.

Quote:
Hot and dry.

Historically : Qutub minar, Red Fort(it has a museum inside and light and sound shows in the evening, India Gate, Purana Quila (Zoo is also right next to it).

Patriotically: You have the Samadhi's of Gandhis, Nehru and others in a row. Btw for ppl who dont know that's the '0' mile for delhi.

You can check with Delhi tourism, they have DTC buses known as Delhi Darshan and it will take you around to most of these places, its cheap and will take a day.

Quote:
Day 4elhi-> Shimla
Destination Shimla - Get a train to Kalka from Delhi (at 5.30 am )and from Kalka catch the 'Himalayan Queen' hill train (at 12.30)to Shimla.I wanted to book A/C Chair Car.My wife prefers second class sitting.I am little worried that inspite of having reserved tickets (which I plan to have) there may be some people who would want to share seat with us .I heard that this is the case with most of N.India.(Sorry, If I hurt any one) I do not want to take up any fight/argument.I have heard from many people who have travelled to north having experienced this.
Why are you spending so much of time travelling the train from Kalka to Shimla will take ages(6 hours) to reach shimla (its narrow gauze track and slow) wasting your whole day(no A/C), although the route is very scenic, but you will get bored.

Quote:

Day 5 and 6:Sight seeing in Shimla.
The hotel ppl will help you out on that, not many places to see though, apart from the mall road, Jhaku temple and Kufri (16 km away).

Quote:
What would be the best mode of transportation?I know it takes 8-9 hrs of journey to Manali from Shimla.I am not sure of travelling by bus (even Volvo) since I am not sure how my baby would adjust to it (a long journey).If I hire a cab to Manali how much would it cost me?
Let me reiterate, state roadways/tourism Volvo bus is the most practical and comfortable way including economical to travel. Dont worry ppl travel with very small babies too.

Quote:
Day 8,9: Saty in Manalui for sight seeing.
Rohtang pass, Solang Valley, Hadimba temple, Vasishta temple (Hot water bath) and manikaran(takes a whole day)

Quote:
Again take SR/Toursim volvos only, most journeys are overnight and saves on time and fatigue.

Quote:
See my suggestions above apart from it you can visit national museum near India gate, Natural History Museum and science museum near Pragati maidan.

For shopping, Connaught place, Karol bagh and South Extn market.

Do also take a ride in the delhi metro, even if its to and fro only.

Tips:

Always take roadways/tourism Volvos (get bookings done at ISBT), the private ones cheat you , waste your time and are not reilable et all.

For all journeys in the hills, take seaters only and not sleepers, remember the hills will rock you like anything and sleepers are very uncomfortable.

Last edited by dadu : 8th June 2007 at 12:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks