Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2014, 20:27   #31
BHPian

re: Chennai - Hampi : Route Queries

Mod Note : Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post.

For the correct way to quote, please see this thread. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
So assuming we spend 1.5 days in Hampi (26/27 July), what else can we do on 28/29 July on our way back to Chennai?
Hampi needs 3-4 days for decent visit and that too with a guide. Opt for a guide and provide him details of your available time, they would plan for you.

Quote:
My current worry is that our son (3 years old) may just get bored by Hampi in 1 day itself. What can we do to engage him better? He's okay with nature and loves animals- the coracle ride should be fun.
Agree, I had the same issuethough my son was 4yrs and 10 yrs old on our two visits, he loved swimming pool in the hotel rather than Hampi visit

Quote:
How good would the sightings in the Daroji bear sanctuary be?
Suggest you to skip, better cover Vani Vilas Sagar and Tung Bhadra Dam, unless you really want to visit bear sanctuary

Quote:
Normally in Europe, we carry our pram and move our son around in it between destinations. Is the pram of any use in Hampi at all, or do you go from point to point in the car only?
Some places yes, you can use. But some places you may not be. Better to carry with your car
thanks!

I would suggest you take

Chennai--> Chittor --> Mulabagal --> Srinivaspura --> Chintamani --> Bagepalli --> Pennakonda --> Ananthapur --> Bellary --> Hampi (Around 620 KMs).

1. Chennai --> Chitoor --> Mulabagal is Old Madras road to chennai. Good roads

2. Mulabagal --> Srinivaspura --> Chintamani --> Bagepalli is state highway, with good two lane road, with very minimal traffic (6 months back I had taken this road, it won;t rain in Kolar district, so roads would remain good for long time to come).

3. Bagepalli --> Pennakonda -> Ananthapur is BLR-HYD tool road, excellent condition

4. Ananthapur --> Bellary --> Hampi, please refer to earlier posts.

Last edited by GTO : 11th July 2014 at 18:21.
Old 10th July 2014, 07:49   #32
Team-BHP Support

Thats lots of non-4 lane roads, when you have the 4-lane at your disposal. Easiest is 4-lane to Bangalore, and then the 4-lane towards Chitradurga. When family is on board, I would suggest the 4-lane option any day.
Old 10th July 2014, 12:48   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Ananthapur --> Bellary --> Hampi, please refer to earlier posts.
Exactly what route are you talking about? There are 2, one via Uravakonda-Bellary. The other via Gooty-Guntakal-Bellary.

I hear the latter has been resurfaced in Gooty-Bellary but am skeptical of recommending due to my own experience 2 years back. Not the kind of route that can be done on a hatch.

If that route is good, it will open up atleast 3 different routes to Gooty and NH63 thereon:

Madras-Palamaner-Madanapalle-Anantapur-Gooty
Madras-Hoskote-Devanahalli-Gooty
Madras-Naidupeta-Rajampeta-Kadapa-Tadipatri-Gooty
Old 10th July 2014, 19:50   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats lots of non-4 lane roads, when you have the 4-lane at your disposal. Easiest is 4-lane to Bangalore, and then the 4-lane towards Chitradurga. When family is on board, I would suggest the 4-lane option any day.
Agree, depend on how comfort one is on good 2-lane roads.

Chitradurga to Hampi is more than 150 KMs of heavy traffic 2-lane road.
Whereas Walajapet --> Mulabagal --> Bagepalli 235Kms but peaceful two-lane road. Gooty to Hampi another 140+KMs..

One would save more than 100KMs of distance viaMulabagal --> Bagepalli

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Exactly what route are you talking about? There are 2, one via Uravakonda-Bellary. The other via Gooty-Guntakal-Bellary.
Via Gooty..

Last edited by manjubp : 10th July 2014 at 19:51.
Old 15th September 2015, 14:53   #35
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread.
We are planning a trip from Chennai to Hampi in the first week of October. From previous posts and google maps found two routes:
1. Bangalore-->Chitradurga
2. Anantapur-->Bellary

Prefer the 1st one due to it being mostly 4 lane but have heard that the final leg from Chitradurga to Hampi is in bad shape.
Which is a better option among these? Also any update/information on the current state of these roads?
Old 19th December 2015, 13:13   #36

Did Chennai to Hampi during Oct 1 - 5 long weekend. Took the below route from Chennai to Hampi (Stayed at Sanapur, tourist village behind Hampi)

Chennai - Ambur - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore - Tumkur (via NICE Ring Road) - Chitradurga - Hospet - Sanapur

Chennai to Chitradurga is of completely 4-laned roads. Took NICE Ring Rd to avoid entering the Bangalore city. Chitradurga to Sanapur was quite hectic as it was predominantly 2-laned with heavy truck traffic, speed breakers, patchy roads and the final 5 kms before the tunnel road near Hospet was the worst with non-existent roads. But post crossing the tunnel road its again a 4-laned road till Hampi. I doubt why this 154kms alone was not maintained properly that too a highway connecting State Capital with a major tourist spot

While returning back, we had the plans to vist Manthralyam and then head back to Chennai.

So took the following route:

Sanapur - Raichur Rd - Sindhanur - Manvi -Manthralayam

After a 3hr break at manthralayam, started back to Chennai. There were several route options for this as below:

1. Manthralayam - adoni - anatapur - kadiri - madanapalle - Chittor - ranipet - sriperumbudur - chennai
2. Manthralayam - adoni - anatapur - kadiri - tirupati - tirutani - chennai
3. Manthralayam - Kadapa - rajampet - tirupati - tirutani - chennai

Of these opted Route 1, as the locals advised us to take anantapur rd rather than Kadapa. Also some of my friends suggested that kadapa route was generally loaded with heavy truck traffic.

Road laying was going-on near anantapur, so had to slow down a bit, after that it was a mix of 4-laned and 2-laned roads, but predominantly with less traffic. Driving through Horsley hills, Madanapalle and chitoor were really scenic

Later came to know from one of my friend who traveled from Manthralayam to Chennai via Kadapa-Tirupati route that the roads were really good comparing to Anantapur road
saipadmarajen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 17:23   #37
BHPian

Re: Chennai - Hampi : Route Queries

Old thread, however updating it so that someone finds this info helpful sometime.
Did Chennai to Hampi last week - 3rd - 7th May.
On 3rd May, Reached Puttaparthi and stayed overnight and on 4th morning started around 5:30am towards Hampi and reached around 10:30am.
Route Taken: Chennai (Tambaram) - Kanchipuram - Ranipet - Chittoor - Palamner (4 lane upto here - Good roads) Madanapalle - Puttaparthi - Dharmavaram - Ananthapur (2 lane and roads were 80% okay) - Bellary - Hampi (4 lane roads) heavy traffic and some deviations as road work was happening some places - Overall 90% okay)

Returned from Hampi - Chennai on 7th May - Started about 5:30am and Reached around 6pm.
Route Taken: Hampi - Chitradurga - Hiriyur - Sira (4 lane - Good roads) - Chikballapur - Chintamani - Mulbagal (2 lane roads - 98% okay and to be careful of humps) - Chitoor - Ranipet - Kanchipuram - Chennai (Tambaram) - 4lane/6lane - Good Roads
sunsivj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 19:46   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsivj View Post
Returned from Hampi - Chennai on 7th May - Started about 5:30am and Reached around 6pm.
Route Taken: Hampi - Chitradurga - Hiriyur - Sira (4 lane - Good roads) - Chikballapur - Chintamani - Mulbagal (2 lane roads - 98% okay and to be careful of humps) - Chitoor - Ranipet - Kanchipuram - Chennai (Tambaram) - 4lane/6lane - Good Roads
Any reason why you didn't choose Hampi-Bangalore-Chennai 4 lane roads?
Old 4th February 2024, 16:21   #39
BHPian

Sorry for my late response.
I am so used to Chittoor route for Bangalore - Chennai and hence mostly use this. Also while going, I had Puttparthi as one of my stopping points and in return Mulbagal route joins in Chittoor side of Highways.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks