Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2013, 17:59   #61
Team-BHP Support

re: Chennai - Yercaud : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridsahmed View Post
Was a isolated drive with few commercial vehicles spotted in between. Had t oask for directions in between as was not sure which direction to take.
I hope you are referring to the route via Kupannur. Its a nice secluded route. But its narrow. One needs to be careful all the way till Yercaud. But it provides a nice different perspective to Yercaud.
Old 10th January 2015, 14:48   #62
BHPian

Guys! Heading to Yercaud over the Pongal weekend. Would love to take the lovely uthangarai - Yercaud road again. Any update on the condition of the Tirupattur-Uthangarai-Yercaud stretch? Any info, will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10th January 2015, 18:13   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timj View Post
Tirupattur-Uthangarai-Yercaud stretch? Any info, will be much appreciated. Thanks!
I know that the stretch from Harur to Salem is horrible now. It would be the same from Uthangarai to Harur too. My recommendation would be to use Ullundurpet, Ayothiapattnam, Kuppaur to Yercaud. It is really bad now. My brother in law who went to Harur from Yercaud returned via Morappur-Salem-Yercaud because of the condition of the road...

Last edited by ampere : 15th December 2016 at 22:25. Reason: Fixed quotes
Old 11th January 2015, 15:31   #64
VKS
BHPian

I am planning for a trip from Chennai to Yercaud via Ulundurpet.

There are 2 routes to drive up to Yercaud - Via Salem and Via Kuppanur .Which one of this is better?
Old 11th January 2015, 17:46   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKS View Post
There are 2 routes to drive up to Yercaud - Via Salem and Via Kuppanur .Which one of this is better?
The one via Salem is the wider one and more used one. The one via Kuppanur is narrow and quite desolate. But it has good views.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 10:29   #66
BHPian

Hi team, since this thread has not been updated for some time, I have a question.
I will be traveling from Chennai to Yercaud on 22nd of this month. How are the road conditions via Tindivanam as well as via Krishnagiri? Which one is preferred?
Thanks.
Old 15th December 2016, 11:26   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Hi team, since this thread has not been updated for some time, I have a question.
I will be traveling from Chennai to Yercaud on 22nd of this month. How are the road conditions via Tindivanam as well as via Krishnagiri? Which one is preferred?
Thanks.
I have always used the Ulundurpet road and the roads are very good, at least when I last used them. Just that it becomes a single lane carriage way for some kilometers during by passes after taking the right turn towards Salem. The roads still remain good. Krishnagiri should also be ok, but the roads from Chennai till Ranipet may not be too good
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 15:42   #68
Team-BHP Support

The other noted difference: Krishnagiri has much much more options for food. Ulundurpet-Salem has nothing. Best if taking that route, it is good to break at Ulundurpet and then drive.

Last edited by ampere : 15th December 2016 at 22:16. Reason: Fixed typo
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 18:46   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which one is preferred?
Where do you stay in Madras. And what is your intended start time? If your start point is on the north or western part like Porur, Iyyappanthangal, Annanagar, Ambattur, Avadi. You are better off going through Krishnagiri even though the first 100 km is farce. This is especially true if you are having an evening start. If you are on the southern part GST, OMR and ECR surroundings. NH45 is a no brainer. If you are close to OMR, ECR there is a bonus of taking OMR-Thiruporur-Chengalpattu to bypass the traffic till Mahindra City. The first 100 km of NH45 also is in much better maintained as opposed to first 100 of NH4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The other noted difference: Krishnagiri has much much more options for food. Uludurpet-Salem has nothing.
Yes food options are low on NH68. They are good till Ulundurpet on NH45.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 19:07   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

Where do you stay in Madras. And what is your intended start time? If your start point is on the north or western part like Porur, Iyyappanthangal
I stay at Iyyappanthangal and intend to start at 7am. Normally for my Kerala trips I prefer the route via Chennai bypass - Vandalur and further. Once couple of years ago on my way back from Kerala I came via Krishnagiri. The roads long before Sriperumbudur till Ponamallee was very patchy with a bumpy ride. Since then I have avoided that route.
So for early morning start do you reckon Tindivanam route will be OK? I am a sedate driver and intend to reach Yercaud close to 2pm which is the check-in time.
rajivr1612 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 19:14   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I stay at Iyyappanthangal and intend to start at 7am. Normally for my Kerala trips I prefer the route via Chennai bypass - Vandalur and further. Once couple of years ago on my way back from Kerala I came via Krishnagiri. The roads long before Sriperumbudur till Ponamallee was very patchy with a bumpy ride. Since then I have avoided that route.
So for early morning start do you reckon Tindivanam route will be OK? I am a sedate driver and intend to reach Yercaud close to 2pm which is the check-in time.
For Iyyappanthangal, if your start time is 7, both the routes will be crowded till you exit the city. I once spent 1.5 hours to get out of Poonamallee after starting at around 6 30 AM from Arcot road. The shorter route will be the Krishnagiri route for you. Also, the Paranur toll can be choc a bloc, I have never seen it without crowd.

My choice: try to get somewhere near Motel highway (near the turn off to Tirupathi) by sometime around 6 30AM to reduce the amount of traffic you will encounter.
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 21:17   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I stay at Iyyappanthangal and intend to start at 7am.
Take Iyyappanthangal-Kattupakkam-take a right at Mangadu junction-drive 3 km-left on Poonamalee bypass. From here it is NH4 all the way.

22nd December is a working day. A 7am start would land you in office rush on Vandalur-Mahindra City stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
I once spent 1.5 hours to get out of Poonamallee after starting at around 6 30 AM from Arcot road.
We've been religiously following the above route mentioned since my father's driving days in mid 80s. Never ever passed through Poonamalee. Its always damn crowded except for ungodly hours.
Old 15th December 2016, 22:27   #73
Team-BHP Support

I dont know the location of "Iyyappanthangal" very well. When I see in Google it looks pretty close to Ponamallee. All then is needed is to take the 4-lane by using Ponnamallee bypass. Thats a life saver and avoids the town very well.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 06:18   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I dont know the location of "Iyyappanthangal" very well. When I see in Google it looks pretty close to Ponamallee. All then is needed is to take the 4-lane by using Ponnamallee bypass. Thats a life saver and avoids the town very well.
Yes it's close to Poonamallee. Actually it's closer to Sri Ramachandra Hospital. Taking the Poonamallee bypass would be the easiest thing to do.
Old 16th December 2016, 06:30   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes it's close to Poonamallee. Actually it's closer to Sri Ramachandra Hospital. Taking the Poonamallee bypass would be the easiest thing to do.
Then please use the same option and use NH4. But an earlier start would be good. You should have crossed the Sriperumbudur toll by 7 if possible and should be well up on the road to Arcot. A 5:30 or a 6AM start would be much better.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed