Team-BHP - Madikeri > Mangalore Or Hassan > Mangalore ??
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Madikeri > Mangalore Or Hassan > Mangalore ?? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/28103-madikeri-mangalore-hassan-mangalore-11.html)

Chetta I left on the dot @ 5AM from Bangalore.

Bangalore - Sakleshpur : Under 3 hours
Sakleshpur - Gindiya - Aivarnad : In 2.5 hours

One thing is for sure Hassan-Sakleshpur and about 10-12kms out of Sakleshpur your will fall in love with your Baleno all over again.

Caution while approaching ALL bridges/culverts as those stretches seem to have been done in the British era and forgotten.

You guys decide after seeing the pics ;)

souljah, so finally you did it:) good to see the the ghat improving....so tempted to take off to mangalore..........:)

The last pic showcases beautiful scene dude. Should visit this place soon.

Oppppppss... I'm tempted too after seeing the last 2 pics.

Anirudh thanks for the pics mate. Nice nice !! Oh my I cant stop smiling, finally something to keep me pepped for the rest of the day :) .

Kundapur here I come !!

Best part is since no buses/tankers ply on the road it is a relatively hassle free drive through the ghat.

You guys have seen the pics so decide wisely ;)

From 12-17th they have made a fair bit of progress so I guess by the month end one can expect 70% of the ghat to be in good condition.

Right now about 30% is in mint condition, 40% manageable, 30% = Mars surface :p

Better bring some towels and some buckets if you come to M'lore now. Despite the rains, I have been sweating like mad in between the rains.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spadival (Post 801216)
Better bring some towels and some buckets if you come to M'lore now. Despite the rains, I have been sweating like mad in between the rains.

Mangalorean.Com- Serving Mangaloreans Around The World!

OT sushrutha every other weekend you are off to chicmaglur;) you still tempted!!! hehehehe

Once getting of the ghats the traffic is very low....till BC road their on its different story:)

Yeah BC road was bad last august.

This time luckily I turned off much earlier near Gundiya and proceeded towards Subramanya. That stretch is good but every 1km or so there is a patch of 500metres which is only rubble. NO potholes, just plain stretches of rubble thats it.

I didnt go as far as Subramanya and instead took the right upon approaching the arch to Subramanya. This road heads to Sullia. This stretch is EXCELLENT. Clean, green & serene with pukka roads and nice twists and turns. One reaches Bellare town after which its hills and dales for 7-8km. My destination was roundabout the 8km mark so I didnt get to venture as far as Sullia.

After seeing the pictures of the shiradi ghat road, i cannot wait for my Mid May 08 drive to Mangalore.

The horror of driving down on this road last August is still fresh in my memory. There was no road....only rubble and huge crators at most of the curves in the ghat section.

hmmm last 1 year i have made more then 5 trips to mangalore... and managed to travel on that bad stretch! now seeing this road improving... it just feels great:)

Guys, Can somebody quickly provide the exact route from Shimoga to Kollur, over balebare ghat. Tomorrow theMAG needs to go from Bangalore to Kollur, but he is not too sure about the route from Shimoga to Kollur. And he doesn't have internet access right now thanks to BSNL.

Hopefully he can see this in time.

Madikeri > Mangalore Or Hassan > Mangalore ??-p4200891eb8.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 802689)
Guys, Can somebody quickly provide the exact route from Shimoga to Kollur, over balebare ghat. Tomorrow theMAG needs to go from Bangalore to Kollur, but he is not too sure about the route from Shimoga to Kollur. And he doesn't have internet access right now thanks to BSNL.

Not sure if this one is over the Balebare Ghat but ...
1. Shimoga - Tirthahalli - SH25
2. Continue on SH25 till it meets SH26. 2 ways beyond this:
a. Turn right on to SH26 and head nort-east past Khyrugundha. Turn right off SH26 at Mudugoppa, through the Mandagadde Bird Sanctuary via Aramane Koppa and Nagodi ("asking around expected": rural roads!) to Kollur

b. Turn left on to SH26 and head south-west towards Hosangadi and beyond. Ask at the next junction(s) - right right turn to take the road towards Kamalashile, Hallihole and Jadkal (Mookambika WIldlife Sanctuary), join the road coming from Kundapura (turn right), and join the SH52 coming from the west coast near Byndoor (again, turn right). Next stop: Kollur.

Narrow (I mean, 'one vehicle has to get down to the shoulder' narrow), twisting roads - don't exceed 70 as there are too many surprises.