Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2007, 21:31   #1
BHPian

Bangalore to Srirangapatna and nearby places - inputs??

I am planning to visit Srirangapatna and nearby places this weekend (leave by 6am and should be back not beyond 9pm).

I have some idea on how to go to Srirangapatna. However, your inputs are valuable.

Please let me know of any useful inputs and any places nearby (temple or any other).

(I didn't find Srirangapatna in excel sheet that lists places nearby Bangalore)
Old 29th August 2007, 21:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Rangantittoo bird sanctuary (hope i got the spelling right)... my favorite place around Bangalore. Be sure to arm yourself with a good camera. Past srirangapatna, heading towards mysore, look for a board on the right.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 29th August 2007 at 21:36.
Old 29th August 2007, 22:13   #3
BHPian

ranganatitoo was flooded recently they have closed it...u can find out abt it from travel pvt....u can also goto gaganna chukki falls its nice and also talakadu
Old 29th August 2007, 22:21   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Ranganthittu Bird Sanctuary, Sangama - where Cauvery and 2 other rivers meet - you can actually make out the difference in colors, KRS dam a bit further upstream, Shivanasamudra falls. But all these are not exactly in the vicinity of each other but more like 40 kms apart
Old 29th August 2007, 22:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Places of Interest

Sriranganatha Temple

This is one of the largest temples in the State & is of great local importance. Its God has given the town His name. It consists of a Mahadwara with a huge tower & a pillared hall built in three or four different stages, Sukanasi & Garbhagriha. There are many other shrines inside the enclosure. Inside the Garbhagriha (Cell) is a colossal image of Vishnu reclining on the huge coils of the great snake Ananta.

Lord Sriranganathaswamy.

Daria Daulat Bagh

Tipu Sultan's Summer palace built in 1784 was his favorite retreat. Made of teak, this Indo - Saracenic structure has ornate and beautiful frescoes. It is now a museum and tells eloquent stories of Tipu's valor and his loosing battle with the British.

Daria Daulat Bagh.

The Gumbaz
Here lie the bodies of Hyder, his wife & Tippu. It is an imposing structure in the midst of the lovely Lal-bagh garden, with a high rise platform & having a verandah of polished black basalt pillars all round. The other things of importance are the other dungeons, gates of the fort & flag-staff cavalier, Tippu's racket court etc...

The Gumbaz.

Dungeons
Situated to the East of the Delhi Gate at a distance of 150 yards. The Dungeons are hidden by the view of the passers by, with a large oblong bastion in the fort wall.

Dungeons.

Place of Tippu's Death
It is at a distance of about ¼ km to the north-east of the Ranganatha Temple.

Tippu Sultan Died here.

Jumma Masjid
Situated close to the Bangalore Gate.

Jumma Masjid.

Tippu's Palace
About 150 yards east of the Ranganatha Temple is now to be seen the mound & ruined walls of the Lal Mahal which was once a magnificent palace inhabited by Tippu.

Fort
It is from here that Tipu started his attack against the British. An obelisk in the fort marks the place where he fell - betrayed by his own men. The fort holds within it a mosque and the Ranganathaswamy Temple. Outside the fort is the Gumbaz, Tipu's tomb with splendid ebony door inlaid with ivory.

Old Masjid

Situated to the West of the Railway Station.

Delhi Gate & Bridge

Situated at a distance of about ¼ km to the East of the Railway Station.

Jibi Gate

This is a small passage in the footwall leading from the temple area to the river.

Swinging Arch
Situated to the South of the temple at a distance of 100 yards. It is 122 feet in span & 3 feet in width. Now it has fallen down.

Narasimha Temple

Situated to the south east of Ranganatha temple at a distance of 100 yards.

Ranganathittu 4 Kms from Srirangapatna and 18 Kms from Mysore is a bird sanctuary that houses exotic birds. Birds from as far away as Siberia and even North America make their home here. Crocodiles basking in the sun is also a familiar sight. The best season to visit is between January and March.

Gosai ghat, Nimishamba Temple

Source: Srirangapatna

PS: Carry your swimming trunks along. There are many places you can get into water
Old 30th August 2007, 09:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
KRS dam a bit further upstream
on the way to KRS you can go to balmuri falls.
Old 30th August 2007, 10:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Place of Tippu's Death
It is at a distance of about ¼ km to the north-east of the Ranganatha Temple.

Tippu Sultan Died here.
OT: Tipu birthplace is in Devanahalli. On the way to Nandi Hills from Bangalore, you have turn left after Devanahalli bus-stop and go for about 2 or 3 Km. Here is the photo:
Old 30th August 2007, 10:35   #8
BHPian

Thanks guys, I will explore them.
Old 30th August 2007, 10:49   #9
BANNED

Hey buddy, also post pics of your travel man. List of places you visited would be great

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
Thanks guys, I will explore them.
Old 30th August 2007, 11:43   #10
BHPian

Sure I have planned to post them. My handycam battery is being charged for taking photos :-)
Old 30th August 2007, 11:49   #11
BHPian

On Sunday's the mysore palace is lighted in the evening for 2 hours. You can check the timings and if they are lighted on Saturday too. Pretty good sight if you are anyway going to mysore. But you cant make it back by 9pm in that case.
Old 30th August 2007, 11:55   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
u can also goto gaganna chukki falls
Please dont go here. Not worth it.

The falls might be full of water, but the crowd and the road after mavalli freaked me out. This road is filled with some gigantic speed bumps.

But then if you want to test out your sx4 GC, then this is the road to take.
Old 30th August 2007, 11:56   #13
rkg
Senior - BHPian

try to go to Somanathpura near srirangapatna. it is most beautiful temple. one of three best temples( others are belur and halebeedu). no worship as it is under ASI.
Old 30th August 2007, 12:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
try to go to Somanathpura near srirangapatna. it is most beautiful temple. one of three best temples( others are belur and halebeedu). no worship as it is under ASI.
I think there is no worship since the temple was vandalized. But the temple is in good state, well maintained & less crowded.
Old 30th August 2007, 12:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
Please dont go here. Not worth it.

The falls might be full of water, but the crowd and the road after mavalli freaked me out. This road is filled with some gigantic speed bumps.

But then if you want to test out your sx4 GC, then this is the road to take.
Recently, the tourism department held a cultural festival in these falls. I heard that its so crowded that you have park your car & walk 2~3Km to reach the falls . Gone are the days when you could drive upto the falls.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks