Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2024, 08:57   #1006
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad - Chennai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhugs View Post
Even if you make it by 4 am you will cut the Chennai traffic and comfortably reach Tanguturu Toll Plaza restaurant by 7:30-8 am.
Tanguturu in 3.5 hours is way too aggressive. I referred back one of my aggressive drives, had driven to then N5 in 4:15 hrs (3:45 am to 8:00 am)

Quote:
Don't worry about lunch as you will be in Secunderabad by lunch time and can directly got to Paradise for a hot biryani
You can reach Chityal/Pangthangi toll. It'll be a bit late to get into the city no?

circa 2019-2020 we used to target Narketapalli Vivera for lunch. With some bypasses done and much improved surface on NAM we can drive further. Last December we made it from Chityal Midway 7 to Nellore Grand in 5 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
For lunch I stopped at the NH 5 plaza on top of the toll road. I expected the old style food court. It instead has a fine dine kind of place.
Looks good. It was average when we used to frequent between 2018 and 2021.

You may want to try the Ongole Delhi Highway if you are looking for lunch. The Ongole outlet is fast and better than the Sholinganallur outlet we visited recently.

Last edited by narayans80 : 11th March 2024 at 09:00.
Old 11th March 2024, 09:34   #1007
BHPian

I don't think it's aggressive as it is around 280 kms away and 70-80 kmph can take you there easily within 4 hours. The early morning gives you a clear city route which I think works wonder.
Old 11th March 2024, 11:05   #1008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it is around 280 kms away and 70-80 kmph can take you there easily within 4 hours.
I used to do it regularly. Start 2 am to 4 am towards Hyderabad (my destination is usually Solapur or Osmanabad for the night). T. Nagar to N5 used to be 296 km. Till Tada averaging 60 kph is an achievement. There is steady stream of trucks all night. At 2 am its more free, by 4 am you'll have a lot more on the road. Madras-Nellore being a 2-lane, there are occasions you'll have to slow behind them.

I used to do 60-80 till Tada and hammer 100-110 beyond. Only then would I make it N5 in the above said time.

With an absolute speed of 70-80 kph you'll not be able to make it N5 in 4 hours averaging 70 kph for the 280 km you mention.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 14:31   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
Even if you make it by 4 am you will cut the Chennai traffic and comfortably reach Tanguturu Toll Plaza restaurant by 7:30-8 am. Don't worry about lunch as you will be in Secunderabad by lunch time and can directly got to Paradise for a hot biryani as reward for your safe driving
Started at 4 am from home in Chennai and could reach Tanguturu by 7.45 am to have a decent breakfast at Skyview. I was able to reach Seconderabad (New Bowenpally) at around 1.30 pm, thanks to ORR. My return journey was very bad. Started at around 9.30 am and reached Pidugurula by 1 pm that is when pathetic phase started. Due to a high-profile political meeting, had to wait for an hour to take a diversion and some village roads to reach Ongole at around 4.30 pm. Reached home by 9.30 pm wading through usual week-end traffic in Chennai.

Lesson: Get local news update about political meetings for the next 2 months to plan alternative routes!

Last edited by Gokrish : 11th March 2024 at 14:35.
Gokrish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 12:11   #1010
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
You may want to try the Ongole Delhi Highway if you are looking for lunch. The Ongole outlet is fast and better than the Sholinganallur outlet we visited recently.
Mom had packed some sandwiches for my return journey and so I skipped this restaurant. It looks very nice from the outside. I will definitely check it out for my next trip, which would be in a couple of months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Lesson: Get local news update about political meetings for the next 2 months to plan alternative routes!
+1

I happened to give a lift to a Policeman from one toll gate to another a couple 100 kms away.
Poor guy handling bandobast duty in this scorching summer. I don't think we can thank them enough for their service. They are the true warriors on whom the success of our democracy rests.

The highway between Hyderabad and Chennai needs to be made 4 lane in its entirety.
The sections with just two lanes are getting completely overwhelmed and forcing drivers to take unnecessary risks.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 21:13   #1011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Started at 4 am from home in Chennai and could reach Tanguturu by 7.45 am to have a decent breakfast at Skyview
Thanks for this. I'm planning to do a solo drive from Chennai to Warangal. Google shows it's the same route as Hyd, till Tipparthy. If I start at 4 from Chennai, and assuming I'm reaching Tanguturu by 9, at which location can I expect to be by lunch, around 1pm or so ?

Sorry, I couldn't find any post of routes to Warangal, and since Hyd route came as common one( for half of it atleast ), I posted here.
niCo_neOz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 08:56   #1012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niCo_neOz View Post
If I start at 4 from Chennai, and assuming I'm reaching Tanguturu by 9, at which location can I expect to be by lunch, around 1pm or so ?
May be near Suryapet. I find lot of options for both veg and non-veg restaurants on Google. Others who have fair idea about this route may give some inputs on the matter.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 09:15   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chennai to Warangal
I had taken the Vijayawada route in Dec 2022. The route was Vijayawada-Suryapet-Tirumalagiri-Jangaon-Warangal. Roads are excellent all through. Don't take the Tirumalagiri-Thorur road, it is very narrow.

There are some small options on Suryapet bypass, which would be the best in terms of time. If you are looking for something fancy, there is a 7 Food Court little further away from the Tirumalagiri turn.

If you are around Vijayawada for lunchtime, you might want to try Murugan at Mangalagiri.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 06:09   #1014
BHPian

Planning a trip to
Chennai - Nandyal - Mantralayam - Srisailam - Chennai

Starting this Friday morning and taking the
Chennai-Nellore-Badvel-Kurnool-Mantralayam (stay in Mantralayam)

Starting Saturday morning and taking
Mantralayam - Atmakur - Srisailam (Darshan) and then stay in Ongole (any suggestions for a good stay options in Ongole is welcome).

Sunday morning Ongole - Nellore - Chennai

Looking for present updates from the members on the routes.

Thank you
Old 18th April 2024, 09:18   #1015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArspeed View Post
Chennai-Nellore-Badvel-Kurnool-Mantralayam (stay in Mantralayam)
Nellore-Badvel-Mydukur is good, but not as flawless as it used to be. There are zero food and minimal fuel options. So plan before Nellore or between Nandyal and Kurnool.

Take Nellore-Badvel from the north end of the Nellore bypass. This way you'll have to deal only with 3 km of city like traffic.

At the Kurnool end, take Kurnool-Aspari-Adoni-Yemmiganur-Mantralayam. This is 50 km detour as opposed to going via Kodumur, but will take the same 2.5 hours Kurnool-Mantralayam drive.

Quote:
Mantralayam - Atmakur - Srisailam (Darshan) and then stay in Ongole
Srisailam darshan does take time, budget minimum 2 hours. The ghat has timing restrictions, am not sure you'll make it out in time. If you can do Madras-Mantralayam in a sitting, you can easily do Srisailam-Madras in a sitting as well.

Srisailam-Dornala-Markapur-Podili-Ongole route is good. The last 30 km to Ongole alone will be narrow, very much doable. Should take 3 hours change to Ongole.

You can look at Mourya Inn in Ongole, if staying at Ongole.

Not done Srisailam from Kurnool end, so no idea on that side of the route.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2024, 20:58   #1016
BHPian

Quote:
I had taken the Vijayawada route in Dec 2022. The route was Vijayawada-Suryapet-Tirumalagiri-Jangaon-Warangal. Roads are excellent all through. Don't take the Tirumalagiri-Thorur road, it is very narrow.
Thanks for the heads up. My end location in Warangal is Shambunipet. So google automatically re directs me to the Tirumalagiri -Thorur route. Guess that is the quickest one, compared to Tirumalagiri-Jangaon-Kazipet-Shambunipet. Please do correct me if I’m wrong here as I’m not much familiar with the town too.

Quote:
There are some small options on Suryapet bypass, which would be the best in terms of time. If you are looking for something fancy, there is a 7 Food Court little further away from the Tirumalagiri turn.

If you are around Vijayawada for lunchtime, you might want to try Murugan at Mangalagiri.
Thanks for these. Will make note.
Old 21st April 2024, 11:18   #1017

Hi fellow BHPians,

It's been a while since I last connected with this group. I'm gearing up for a trip from Chennai to Hyderabad via Vijayawada in the second week of May, kicking off from Chennai at 4 am.

Here are a few things I need assistance with:

1. Recommendations for pure vegetarian restaurants in Ongole (assuming a 4-hour drive to reach Ongole).

2. Information on reliable gas stations along the route (excluding the opposite directions).

3. Suggestions for lunch spots along the Vijayawada-Hyderabad highway, preferably vegetarian options. Alternatively, any well-known fast-food joints like McDonald's.

I'm aiming to reach Hyderabad in 13 hours, which might be a challenge considering the 100km detour. Any tips on how to manage the journey efficiently?
Additionally, any pro tips on safeguarding both myself and the car from the extreme heat during the month of May would be greatly appreciated.

I'm planning to make a stop around 11:30 am for a bio break. Would taking a 20-minute break help in cooling down the engine?

Looking forward to your insights!
Old 21st April 2024, 20:32   #1018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. My end location in Warangal is Shambunipet. So google automatically re directs me to the Tirumalagiri -Thorur route. Guess that is the quickest one
You'll be driving the narrow sections till Thorur at 30-40 kph vs 80-100 on Suryapet-Tirumalagiri. You have to decide between wider road vs quicker one.

One major difference is you'll be at Warangal Fort surroundings without going through the town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majetisantosh View Post
1. Recommendations for vegetarian restaurants
Tanguturu N5 (above the toll plaza) for breakfast. Narketapalli Vivera for lunch

Quote:
Would taking a 20-minute break help in cooling down the engine?
Not needed

Last edited by narayans80 : 21st April 2024 at 20:56.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2024, 11:51   #1019
BHPian

Quote:
One major difference is you'll be at Warangal Fort surroundings without going through the town.
Is this for the Thorur route ?
Old 22nd April 2024, 15:13   #1020

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majetisantosh View Post
Hi fellow BHPians,

It's been a while since I last connected with this group. I'm gearing up for a trip from Chennai to Hyderabad via Vijayawada in the second week of May, kicking off from Chennai at 4 am.

Here are a few things I need assistance with:

1. Recommendations for pure vegetarian restaurants in Ongole (assuming a 4-hour drive to reach Ongole).

2. Information on reliable gas stations along the route (excluding the opposite directions).

3. Suggestions for lunch spots along the Vijayawada-Hyderabad highway, preferably vegetarian options. Alternatively, any well-known fast-food joints like McDonald's.

I'm aiming to reach Hyderabad in 13 hours, which might be a challenge considering the 100km detour. Any tips on how to manage the journey efficiently?
Additionally, any pro tips on safeguarding both myself and the car from the extreme heat during the month of May would be greatly appreciated.

I'm planning to make a stop around 11:30 am for a bio break. Would taking a 20-minute break help in cooling down the engine?

Looking forward to your insights!
Hello

I just did Chennai-Nagpur-Chennai by Road, it took me about 16:30 hours to do Nagpur to Chennai (due to heavy traffic around industrial estate around 9:30 pm in Chennai) and 16 hours to do Chennai to Nagpur ( as i started early from Chennai at around 5:00 am). I could not find any recommendable restaurant on the stretch from Chennai to Nagpur, particularly in the route Chennai to Hyderabad (NOT via Vijaywada) via Nellore, Ongole (specifically on the left side of the road).

There are many big fuel stations along the route , I generally prefer to refuel from the immediate big fuel station that comes first after crossing a big town or bye-pass.

There is one Ramaswamy Military Hotel with good customer reviews on Hyderabad-Vijaywada Road ( which i had found while surfing for the route from Nagpur to Chennai via Vijaywada) which you can explore before hand. Note that I have not been to this hotel as I did not go via Vijaywada.

It shall be advisable if you can carry your packed rolls (paratha like stuff) for breakfast, which you can have on the go itself while driving. Minimum stoppage is the key to reach your destination faster. Looking for places kills reasonable time.

I started from Chennai with my Breakfast packed (Rolled parathas) and had them on the go. I also carried tea in a thermo-wear which i had during quick bio-stops. I had my lunch at around 2 pm in Nalagonda town (taking a de-tour of about 1.5 km in the city) the hotel was just beside the newly opened Factory outlet of "Ram-Rajya", bought a couple of white shirts from there and still managed to cross ORR at about 4:00 pm for Medchal exit.

Cooling the engine shall not be a thing to bother, I suppose. It is about 750 kms ride and your lunch break will take care of cooling you as well as your carrier too !

Wish you a safe travel !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks