Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2007, 11:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pune to Dandeli - Route Query

All Travel Gurus,

I am planning to drive to Dandeli on Sep 29 from Pune in my Swift along with my wife and son.

Need your help on:
  • Which would be the best route? I would love the most scenic route, with good roads (even if not the best) with sparse traffic - that is what everyone wants, right? . I plan to stop for pictures, for soaking in the nature whenever it demands me to.
  • I do not intend to drive faster than 100 kmph at any point. And assuming stops on the way for photos, how long would the drive be to reach Dandeli from Pune. How early should I start from Pune?
  • What are the things I can do at Dandeli (other than rafting, since my son is too young for that)? Are there places close to Dandeli that I can visit?
  • I plan to stay at a friend's house there, if I cannot get a good place to stay. Which resorts/hotels would you recommend for the stay? I am not sure, if I can get any booking now. I am looking for resorts, because they may be in the jungle or at least close to it than my friend's house. And I would love that.
  • Will 2 days be (Sep 30, Oct 1) too much or too little?
Thanks for all your help!
-Biju

Last edited by pjbiju : 21st September 2007 at 11:39.
Old 21st September 2007, 12:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Take NH4 from Pune to Belgaum via Satara and Kolhapur. Get into Belgaum town and take NH4A - road to Goa - and go via Khanapur to Londa, from where you can reach Dandeli. Roads in and around Londa will be bad but rest of the route is good. If you are a fast driver, you should reach in 3/4 of a day.
Old 21st September 2007, 13:39   #3
BHPian

Long ago there was this site IndiaOverland.com -However now unable to get it on the net - just found their address -
"IndiaOverLand Pvt. Ltd., 2nd Floor, Atur Chambers, 2-A Moledina Road, Pune - 411 001. INDIA Phone No. : (020) 6137177 / 6130941 Fax : (020) 6130575 E-mail : info@indiaoverland.com"
They had wonderful info/maps -Being Pune based you should be able to contact them- Hope this info is useful -
PS - I have been dreaming of doing this trip for a long time!
If you dont get the map -let me know I search my hard disc/ cd's for it at home.
Rgds
Old 21st September 2007, 14:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Kumar. I knew, I would get a reply from you with all the details. I am amazed at the level of knowledge you have of Indian roads. Not just one part of India, but all parts of India. How do you manage to travel to all these places? :O
Old 21st September 2007, 21:03   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Roads in and around Londa will be bad but rest of the route is good.
When you reach Londa from Khanapur, dont go into town, just continue on the highway. You will come to an intersection where you just continue straight. [Left at this point will take you towards Alnavar & Dharwad, while a right turn will take you to Goa]

Roads around Londa and some distance after that are good. But as you near Dandeli, roads are not so good. But nothing to worry about.
Old 21st September 2007, 23:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
How do you manage to travel to all these places? :O
20 years of driving around - in bike, jeep, car and Scorpio! And all personal holidays only by road for the last 12 years.
Old 24th September 2007, 00:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Any idea, how far Jog Falls is from Dandeli and how long would it take to drive to Jog Falls? Can that be done in one day (Dandeli->Jog Falls->Dandeli)?
Old 24th September 2007, 07:27   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

About 160 km. Dandeli - towards Haliyal, to Yellapur, Sirsi, Siddapur to Jog.
Old 26th September 2007, 11:17   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
All Travel Gurus,

I am planning to drive to Dandeli on Sep 29 from Pune in my Swift along with my wife and son....
-Biju

Interesting! I am also driving to Dandeli from Bombay on 29th. Staying at Kali River Adventure and Wildlife Camp. Driving in my Petra. Can you give me a rough idea how many hours it should take? If you can tell me the time from Bombay, great, else the time from Pune would also help.
Old 26th September 2007, 11:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Interesting! I am also driving to Dandeli from Bombay on 29th. Staying at Kali River Adventure and Wildlife Camp. Driving in my Petra. Can you give me a rough idea how many hours it should take? If you can tell me the time from Bombay, great, else the time from Pune would also help.
If you leave early enough from Bombay (say, 500 am), you should make it to Kolhapur in 6 hours (i.e. 11 am). From there to Belgaum is an hour, and from there it is around 55 kms to Londa, which could take you 1-2 hours (since you have to navigate through BElgaum town). And another 1 houur to reach Dandeli from there. That means driving time of around 10 hours, assuming you are a fast driver. Add another 1.5 hours for food and refuelling breaks, and I would think 12 hours is a good on-the-road time estimate. Eralier teh start from Bombay the better, because you could face high traffic between Satara-Karad-Kolhapur.
Old 26th September 2007, 12:21   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
If you leave early enough from Bombay (say, 500 am), you should make it to Kolhapur in 6 hours (i.e. 11 am). From there to Belgaum is an hour, and from there it is around 55 kms to Londa, which could take you 1-2 hours (since you have to navigate through BElgaum town). And another 1 houur to reach Dandeli from there. That means driving time of around 10 hours, assuming you are a fast driver. Add another 1.5 hours for food and refuelling breaks, and I would think 12 hours is a good on-the-road time estimate. Eralier teh start from Bombay the better, because you could face high traffic between Satara-Karad-Kolhapur.
Thanks HVKumar, that is pretty informative. I generally prefer to drive at 120 with an odd burst now and then, if I get into a tussle or if I just feel like it. Not a zip zap zoom style of driving, so I guess I shall take it at 13 hours on the road for me.
I hope the NH 4A and the state highways are also in good condition.
Old 26th September 2007, 17:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

I have dropped my idea of going to Dandeli/Goa. Friends back from Goa and my friend from Dandeli says, it is raining quite heavily there and more rains are expected next week. So I may go there sometime during November.

So now I am looking around for a place near Pune that I can go to for the weekend, without having to worry much about the rains.
Old 7th April 2009, 17:08   #13
BHPian

I know this is an old thread, but I cant seem to find another thread that talks about the condition of roads from Belgaum to Dandeli. Many online reviews about the white water rafting trips say that the last leg of the journey to Dandeli is patchy. I just got back from Dandeli and I have to write this update: The roads till Dandeli from belgaum (via Khanapur > Londa) is EXCELLENT! Not a single patch that is bad.
Old 24th January 2011, 20:29   #14
BHPian

Re: Pune to Dandeli - Route Query

Had been to Dandeli on Saturday/Sunday (JLR Kali Adventure camp). NH4A section i.e. from Belgaum - Londa - Ramnagar(after Londa where one has to take sharp right for Goa ) is bad. Not many potholes but the surface is washed out/rough. Road from Ramnagar to Ganeshgudi is excellent but after that till Dandeli is bad with many potholes.

Started from Pune at 8. Was in Belgaum at 1 pm. Wasted a lot of time searching for a restaurant which was open and then having food (Karnataka strike). Started at 2.15 and reached Dandeli at 4pm.
Old 24th January 2011, 20:37   #15
DRC
BHPian

Re: Pune to Dandeli - Route Query

If one is reaching ganeshgudi before Dandeli, it is just fine. Because the whitewater evets actually happen in Ganeshgudi, not Dandeli.
There are 2 routes to Dandeli from Ganeshgudi, One is bad and other is excellent. Just about 2 kms diff.

Been there last year and about 2 years ago. The road condition had not changed between the visits. I presume the case is same now too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks