Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2007, 18:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

I went to Ooty via Masinagudi during March. My Palio 1.2 had to be in the first gear for most part of the climb. This was my first climb. Maybe, I was not used to such a steep climb, or my car is just not able to handle such a climb in any gear other than 1. Even when I revved the car to 4kin first gear, the progress was very slow. When I thought I had revved enough in the first gear and engaged the second, the revs used to drop to an obscenely low 1.5-2k and the car could barely move. So, I did not venture into engaging the second gear again. I could sense a huge gap between the first and second gears in my car.
Old 2nd October 2007, 19:56   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Once in Ooty fill up from the bunk on the left side of the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
...don't use Ooty Fuel.Seems like it is adulterated in most of the places there.
Kaushik, hope you arent refering to the same bunk that Riju has ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I've been up and down those slopes several times, and I do not recall any part of the drive that requires you to shift to first.
Steer - was it in a car or your Dicor ?

Deepak, what car ?
Old 2nd October 2007, 20:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

Abhi' you need some momentum when you get to a pin curve.Else you sure would have to down shift to 1st and then start all over again.
You run the risk of over heating the engine.

Its always suggested that you take a curve wide so that you don't loose momentum.

I love the Masinagudi Ghat section. Anyone tried this stretch after 6pm ?

My last 3 trips to Ooty , I did the masinagudi ghats after it got dark. They close the road by 6pm, so be there before that. Stop by the bridge at the foot of the mountains.

Wait till it gets dark and then do the climb,now put your driving skills to test. Let me warn you, it ain't an easy task. I have done it thrice and every time came back with a new learning.

BTW Condor I don't think the petrol bunk which I mentioned sells adulterated fuel. I have been filling up from the same bunk for the last 4 years or so when in Ooty.

Condor
Quote:
My Palio 1.2 had to be in the first gear for most part of the climb. This was my first climb.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 2nd October 2007 at 20:21.
Old 2nd October 2007, 20:39   #19
BHPian

Mysore to Oooty

from mysore till the tamil naidu border roads are good and a pleasure to drive. if you happen to cross the bandipur forest early morning you can spot some wild animals too. After crossing tamil naidu border there are two ways , one turns left towards the jungle mudumalai another one goes straight which is basically NH. DO NOT take the NH road, its in pathetic condition. Take left from the junction into the jungle. Roads are pretty ok and you can easily drive 50 to 60 km/hr. as soon as the forest ends 36 hair pins starts . The pins are very steep so do take care while going up or coming down. at the entrance of ooty there will be check post , and you know what they want , i realy felt shouting at them and thought why in india these people want under table money .... Well dont spoil your holidays just give them 20 to 30 rs and move off. Regarding petrol you can always fill it up in mysore. While u r in ooty, do visit payakra falls , but let me caution you , roads are not good , basically u will not call them roads...dont get confused, i am talking when u come down from ooty to cover payakara falls, but i will say its a must see and bring some extra pair of dresses if you want to take bath..which u cant stop urself.. water was too cold.

Hotel to stay : willow hills. Ultimate view you will get.
Price Range: 800(minimum) -1300(Delux room)-1500(cottage),
Landmark: go up after crossing "Holiday Inn".
i would recoomend to stay here, anyway its your choice.
hope it helps .

http://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/ima...gger_hover.gif
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1116/...087c2b20_s.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1089/...db74e1d0_s.jpg
Old 2nd October 2007, 20:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I love the Masinagudi Ghat section. Anyone tried this stretch after 6pm ?

My last 3 trips to Ooty , I did the masinagudi ghats after it got dark. They close the road by 6pm, so be there before that. Stop by the bridge at the foot of the mountains.

Condor
I once drove up the road from Bandipur-Ooty via Masinagudi, in a bike, between 2-4 am in the night. Happily, those were the days when there were no check posts (18 years ago) and elephants and bisons ambled around aplenty (unfortunately we did not run into any). We were too scared looking out for elephant ambushes on the curves that we did not stop till we reached way up near Kalhatti where we stopped and enjoyed the view of the dark valley below teeming with wild life.

I think the check post timings are 8 pm - 6 am. Earlier this year, I "negotiated" my way down the ghats from Ooty to Masinagudi at 400 am, and it is a fantastic experience.
Old 2nd October 2007, 21:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

kumar the check post chaps wont stop you. Its once you go further ahead you need to take a left and the road generally is closed(the narrow metal bridge).

Last time I did this stretch, I was awed by what I got to see in the dark.You generally witness more wildlife once it gets dark.

I saw one of these gaur's standing in a mighty stance by the road.

Scared the life outta me, coz no way on sweet earth we had a chance if it charged at us.

I switched off the lights, drove the car at a very low rpm looking at it in the twilight. My friends swore never to do the drive again .

manjubp sorry to have hijacked your thread mate. Happy tripping.
Old 2nd October 2007, 21:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last time I did this stretch, I was awed by what I got to see in the dark.You generally witness more wildlife once it gets dark.

I saw one of these gaur's standing in a mighty stance by the road.

Scared the life outta me, coz no way on sweet earth we had a chance if it charged at us.
Thats the ideal time if you want to see gaur/bison. I can relate to your experience, a bison we had spotted once was practically the size of our zen
Old 2nd October 2007, 22:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Kaushik, hope you arent refering to the same bunk that Riju has ..
No no, I was not talking about any specific petrol bunk.But it's a general feeling that I've learnt from few of the tour Taxi drivers from Bangalore. Most of them told me to avoid fuel in Ooty(and they were talking about Diesel ofcourse, but if there is adulteration then it would be with petrol also) . And actually have noticed lotsa vehicle coming from Ooty emanating think black smoke and that's surely a sign of bad fuel if not bad engine.
But as Riju had first hand good experience with the BP bunk(and yeah you'll definitely can't miss it) then probably I'll try there next time.But just keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 3rd October 2007, 11:56   #24
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback/response. Sure I will keep in mind the advice you have given, except on hotels to stay, as I have already blocked Holiday Inn for 4 days.

regards,
-manju
Old 4th October 2007, 13:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

I just returned yesterday from a Bangalore - Mysore- Ooty Trip, well i am yet to post my updates

Mysore - Ooty two options as everybody has said, i would definitely recommend the Masinagudi Route but only in daytime if you are traveling with your family, as for the first timer an encounter with wild elephants or Bison is a very scary concept, and not always welcome.Be warned that 36 Hairpin curve is not recommended for the novice . as recently the forest dept has stared allowing mini truck to use this way these guys will not , i repeat WILL NOT stop for you to clear out of the way. So on your route if you see either wildlife for mini trucks just move to the max possible way out and let them pass. I for one had a run in with elephants during my drive back, the elephants were blocking the road for over an hour , and i had a real scare . This was not my first wild life encounter but definitely the most unnerving one amongst the many i have had.I will post me trip report later. together with videos my wife managed to shoot.

Brunch Can be had from JLR , Bandipur , Pug Mark Restruant

Fuel From Mysore is recommended later if you need to fill up you need to do it from the two level BP Pump, Ooty which will come up on you left hand side once you pass the check post if you are taking the masinagudi route. If you are taking the other route there are good pumps at Gudalur , but my piece of advice , do not take this route . Due to reason unavoidable i was forced tho drive till Gudalur and back to masinagudi where i had put up at GREEN PARK Resorts for a day. The road essentially calls for SUV like vehicles .

And make it a point to visit one of those Ooty Apple farms on the way to Pykara Dam, Shooting point etc. Ask any of he apple vendors outside the Botanical Gardens and they will be happy to tell you how to get there. Again the roads to all these places are really bad till the turn off to Glen Morgan Estates, after that the roads are really good at least till Pykara dam.

The road to Glen Morgan is also very bad , but i would recommend you to still go ahead and reach there as the view from the view point is worth the drive.

From this view point towards your right side you will find a road leading to a blue gate , thats is the opening to a tunnel, these gates open for you if you have some contacts in the TNSEB. This leads down to a point about 4 Kms near Masinagudi junction, (a total distance of about 13 Kms). which you would have passed on your way to Kalhatti - Ooty. I haven't tried this, but people say its once in a life time experience.

have a great vacation and be careful.
Old 4th October 2007, 13:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

Where's the travelogue ?

edit : Condor I recommended the same petrol bunk in Ooty.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 4th October 2007 at 13:41.
Old 4th October 2007, 13:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where's the travelogue ?
Will put it up soon pal !
Old 29th November 2007, 11:09   #28
BHPian

I did this trip last week in my corolla. I believe what matters is the low end torque. I had to shift to first gear at times while climbing. Managed to climb in second mostly, but switched to first whenever I needed more control because of cars in the opposite direction. I dont know how you can keep the momentum, if there is traffic coming from the opposite side, as there is no way they can see us. I tried hard and had to rely only on the honks to know if there is a car coming from the other side.

While descent, at second gear my car was touching 50 kmph in few seconds and it was very dangerous. Had to shift to first to slow down and use brakes as well. I did not realize how steep the road was while climbing, but while coming down, it made me realize how steep the ascent is. Saw few indicas cooling off after such torture. We did that stretch from Masinagudi( Monarch Safari Park ) to Ooty in around 1:10 minutes. May not be a record for others, but definitely for me, given the conditions.

Anyday, would take that road again, for sheer beauty and the thrill of driving in such conditions.

Nainar
Old 4th December 2007, 18:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
The climb is a lot easier than the 36-hairpins-within-8kms tag seems to indicate. We've zipped up the slope in record time in a fully laden car with 'emaciated korean horses and bad handling'.
Could you please share that record with us. Curious to know about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
We did that stretch from Masinagudi( Monarch Safari Park ) to Ooty in around 1:10 minutes. May not be a record for others, but definitely for me, given the conditions.
Masingudi to Ooty in 1:10 mins
Old 6th December 2007, 13:12   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,

Any updates on the road condition between Mysore and Ooty? Should I take Masinagudi or Gudalur? I need to get to the Ratan Tata guesthouse at Peytons Road.

Thanks,

Last edited by itwasntme : 6th December 2007 at 13:14. Reason: Grammar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks