Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2007, 20:44   #1

Driving from Pune to Cochin?

I read some real helpful posts on driving from Pune to Cochin. But on many counts I am confused.

1) A friend who recently drove to Karwar from Mumbai strictly advises me to avoid NH 17 till Kundapur. He says the Ankola-Bhatkal stretch is absolutely non-motorable. He suggests Hubli -> Sirsi -> Siddapur -> Jog Falls -> Sagar -> Shimoga -> Tirtahalli -> Agumbe -> Karkala -> Mangalore as the alternate route.

2) But one post appearing on this site (posted by Mr. Ravi 8th August 2007 at 15:19) warns of Naxal possible attacks near Jog falls and that is indeed worrying.

3) That leaves me with only one option - what Mr. Kumar suggested vide his post on 12th August 2007 viz; NH 4 Pune -> Bangalore -> NH7 till Toppur -> SH -> Bhavani -> NH47 Coimbatore -> Palakkad -> Trissur -> Cochin.

But I am confused. Which of the above 3 should I take? I must complete the journey in 2 days. And naturally I want to avoid night journey.

Could any kind soul help me? Kindly tell me the approximate distances and the time needed to cover it and the road condition in general. Also please tell me the best place for overnight stay.

Thanks a lot in advance and Regards to everyone.
Old 3rd November 2007, 21:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuda View Post
3) That leaves me with only one option - what Mr. Kumar suggested vide his post on 12th August 2007 viz; NH 4 Pune -> Bangalore -> NH7 till Toppur -> SH -> Bhavani -> NH47 Coimbatore -> Palakkad -> Trissur -> Cochin.
Mr. Kumar's advice is usually the best you can find in the country in these matters, therefore I would recommend that you follow the same.

The only change you may want to consider is the last leg from Bangalore-Cochin thru NH 212 from Mysore to Calicut and NH17 from Calicut to Cochin.
Old 3rd November 2007, 21:49   #3
BANNED

IF the NH 17 is bad till Kundhapura, it is worse in Kerala. In particular, I have information that the Payyannur - Kannur stretch is very bad, and I can extrapolate that is equally bad in Kasargod and at least up to Kozhikode. So, you can stick to hvkumar's advice; and remember that Mysore - Calicut route is to be taken only during daytime, but you will face plenty of private buses on the route. Walayar - Chalakudy stretch too is very poor. (chalakudy - Angamaly is bad, but not unmotorable.
Old 3rd November 2007, 22:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Mr. Kumar's advice is usually the best you can find in the country in these matters, therefore I would recommend that you follow the same.

The only change you may want to consider is the last leg from Bangalore-Cochin thru NH 212 from Mysore to Calicut and NH17 from Calicut to Cochin.
The Bangalore-Calicut-Cochin route is a good choice in the present circumstances.

I have an update from a friend today morning driving from Bombay to Tirupati via Bangalore - he says the Hubli-Harihar road is terrible and he could maintain only slow speeds, but you have no other choice but to take NH4 (better than most).

Pune-Bangalore is 850 kms and Bangalore-Calicut-Cochin approximately 530 kms. Ideally target Bangalore on Day 1 and you will be in Cochin comfortably on Day 2. You can take an alternative route to Mysore turning off NH4 at Harihar and going via Shimoga, Tarikere, Channarayapatna and K R Pet - I believe this road is OK (any updates?) , although I don't know about the Chanarayapatna-K R Pet-Mysore road. The advantage of this route is that you could bypass Bangalore and go directly to Mysore. If you take the second route, you could halt at either Shimoga or Mysore on Day 1.

Needless to say, you will have to start quite early in the morning (before 6 am) and drive till at least 8 pm to make these schedules.

You can always PM me for the exact route/ distance particulars if you want.
Old 3rd November 2007, 23:06   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Took this route last week. Roads are good till kerala border. But, most of the roads in kerala are BAD (), and there is not much to do about it. I'd recommend this route.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...life-easy.html
Old 4th November 2007, 16:03   #6

Thanks Kumar, Steer, BackseatDriver and Crazydriver. Never expected such a swift and helpful response! Thanks a lot folks.

As advised by you all and Kumar in particular I am opting for the following route:

Pune -->Belgaum -->Harihar -->Hosdurga -->KR Pet -->Mysore (860 kms)
Mysore -->Bandipur -->Nilambur -->Shornur -->Trissur -->Cochin (305 kms)

I am still slightly anxious. In the Pune-Mysore stretch, I couldn't find Shimoga. The Mysore - Cochin route is my own 'invention', mainly to avoid bad roads in Northern Kerala.

Now, will you all once again help me and confirm if the above is ok?

Thanks & Regards
rajuda
Old 4th November 2007, 17:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Kumar, Steer, BackseatDriver and Crazydriver. Never expected such a swift and helpful response! Thanks a lot folks.

As advised by you all and Kumar in particular I am opting for the following route:

Pune -->Belgaum -->Harihar -->Hosdurga -->KR Pet -->Mysore (860 kms)
Mysore -->Bandipur -->Nilambur -->Shornur -->Trissur -->Cochin (305 kms)

I am still slightly anxious. In the Pune-Mysore stretch, I couldn't find Shimoga. The Mysore - Cochin route is my own 'invention', mainly to avoid bad roads in Northern Kerala.

Now, will you all once again help me and confirm if the above is ok?

Thanks & Regards
rajuda
The Harihar-Mysore route is via Honnali, Shimoga, Bhadravathi, Tarikere, Channarayapatna and K R Pet.

Going via Nilambur and Trissur will not solve your problem of bad roads. The "good" route is Mysore-Gundulpet-Sultan's battery-Kalpetta-Calicut-Kuttipuram-Kodungallur-Paravur-Cochin.

Incidenatally, if you wish to take the Nilambur route (the Gudalur-Nilambur road has just reopened after landslides), you can go via Edavanna, Malappuram to Kodungallur and Cochin, instead of through Shoranur and Trissur.
Old 4th November 2007, 21:39   #8
BANNED

I can vouch that Shornur - Trichur - Irinjalakuda - Kodungallur - Parur - ([Cherai - vypeen} | Edappally ) - Cochin is excellent condition. Alternatively, take left from main junction at Irinjalakuda - Chalakudy - Angamaly (4 lane NH 47) upto Cochin is also good; except for 12 KM between Chalakudy and Angamaly, which will take about 20 minutes to cover. Have taken both the alternatives on Cochin - Shornur route during Onam.
Old 5th November 2007, 13:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Update 3 Days Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I can vouch that Shornur - Trichur - Irinjalakuda - Kodungallur - Parur - ([Cherai - vypeen} | Edappally ) - Cochin is excellent condition. Alternatively, take left from main junction at Irinjalakuda - Chalakudy - Angamaly (4 lane NH 47) upto Cochin is also good; except for 12 KM between Chalakudy and Angamaly, which will take about 20 minutes to cover. Have taken both the alternatives on Cochin - Shornur route during Onam.
A friend took this route to Cocin from Palakkad.
Palakkad>Ottapalam>Shornur>Trichur> Irinjalakkuda (expect heavy bus traffic from Trichue to Irinjalakkuda)>Chalakudy >Angamaly>Cochin. He says this is the smoothest bet, traffic keeps flowing, no jams.

Reportedaly, the NH 7 route Calicut, Kodungallur, Cochin has heavy truck traffic now as most of them have moved to NH7 from 7 since 47 is in a terrible condition.

--Ramky
---------
Old 13th November 2007, 14:00   #10
santoshnair

i want to do Mumbai vadodra with family and i have a santro xing....i need advice from you guys..n terms of duration and the roads

Old 13th November 2007, 14:01   #11
santoshnair

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
A friend took this route to Cocin from Palakkad.
Palakkad>Ottapalam>Shornur>Trichur> Irinjalakkuda (expect heavy bus traffic from Trichue to Irinjalakkuda)>Chalakudy >Angamaly>Cochin. He says this is the smoothest bet, traffic keeps flowing, no jams.

Reportedaly, the NH 7 route Calicut, Kodungallur, Cochin has heavy truck traffic now as most of them have moved to NH7 from 7 since 47 is in a terrible condition.

--Ramky
---------
the thrissur--kodungallur-kottapuram-paravur-alwaye-ernakulam-cochin is good and very beautiful to drive ....or u can take the nh-?? from thrissur to alwaye and cochin

Old 14th June 2017, 19:32   #12
BHPian

Re: Driving from Pune to Cochin?

Would be driving down from Ernakulam to Pune starting Sunday 18-Jun.

Can someone please help advise on the current state of affairs with this route?

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !
bikertillidie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 19:48   #13
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertillidie View Post
Would be driving down from Ernakulam to Pune starting Sunday 18-Jun.

Can someone please help advise on the current state of affairs with this route?

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !
Good roads all the way till Pune except for the work in progress after Mannuthy to Kuthiran and single lane Coimbatore by-pass. In Maharashtra there will be few diversions between Satara and Pune but nothing to slow you down drastically.
Lij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 19:54   #14
BHPian

Thanks for the prompt reply Lij.

Which route would you recommend?
Old 14th June 2017, 20:35   #15
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertillidie View Post
Thanks for the prompt reply Lij.

Which route would you recommend?
Ernakulam - Thrissur - Coimbatore - Hosur - Nice Road (Bangalore) - Tumkur - Belagavi - Kolhapur - Satara - Pune.

Have a safe trip!!
Lij is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks