Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2008, 11:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Dudhwa - Tales, Tails & Travails - IIIrd stage

29.12.2007 - post lunch

Continuing from last where I left yesterday, the interesting tale continues. What happened during lunch is best described by Roshun a.k.a RP since at that precise moment I received a call on my cell and was distracted. I quote:

" Now, here is where I probably think and… I say probably, that we got lucky.

I was looking down the road we had just traveled on, when I saw a whole herd of deer emerge from the grassland and scamper down the road. I told Mrs GD to come take a look at the deer. Meanwhile, Shona calls me to the other side of the terrace and says – “can you see what I see?” And in the grass, about 200 metres from the rest house we saw this large animal slinking through the grass. Now, don’t buy SS’s version that it was a mouse or Munnilal headed to fetch firewood!

But that was all we saw and then this animal simply settled into the elephant grass and was gone. So was it a tiger? Hard to tell. It could have been a leopard. Not enough to call a tiger. Damn.

We had some sandwiches, noodles and kulchas for lunch and then GD, the guide and I got into my Scorp and headed down to camp office to fetch SS, Vaishali, Abhinav, Albert, Priyanka, AG, Anil and Smita. The two Scorps – AG’s Blue and SS’s Vader, nice and clean, had just reached when we got there at about 4.30pm.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3...campoffvn4.jpg

We then led the way back to the rest house – dousing the other two Scorps in virgin dust. The anointment done.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2...asuite1nv8.jpg

Welcome to Dudhwa. "

More to come.....
Old 15th January 2008, 14:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Dudhwa - Tales, Tails & Travails - IVth stage

Our bookings at Dudhwa were from 28th to 1st.

This was the only day when the entire team, all of 14, were together since the way we came in 2 groups, similarly in 2 groups we left due to professional commitments. My family and I were the only ones who stayed the entire period from 28th evening till 1st morning.

The Head count:

1. Gurudutt, Shanno & Gauri
2. Roshun & Shona
3. Subhashish, Vaishali & Bumpy
4. Anil & Smita
5. Ashish, Priyanka, Anubhav & Albert

Today was the turn of the IInd group to undertake that Elephant safari to Rhinoland. It turned out to be quiet an inetersting and unforgettable day for all of us. Here is the account:

When the IInd party came in last evening and the process of registering at the Camp HQ was going on, I suggested that we should book for the Elephants now itself since only 3 pachyderms were available for the Rhino Safari. When DFO Srivastava was approached for the same he said none would be available tommorrow morning as one beast is reserved for the CGM, BSNL who was visitng the Reserve. That left with only 1 adult male and another 8 yr old brat Batalik. But after a bit of cajoling the DFO agreed and said that if the group is there the next day morning at sharp 7 then he would arrange for one. Now that was the silver lining in the dark..

But now another problem cropped up. 1 & 1/2 elephant meant only 7 people at best could go on it. So who two will opt out? While we were debating as to who will be having the overflowing 'tyaag ki bhavana', out came a chorus from Anil & Smita that they would stay back as they love their sleep very much and would rather Honeymoon. With this settled we all slept.

So in the morning when we got up… the show started… Now I swear I heard someone shout… saallaa bloody scorpio show offs… but no we were not to be let down by dissuasion…. it went on and on and on…. till i heard some one scream… bas karo .. bas karo…. and we finally gave up on it…..

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9...thiana2jn9.jpg

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/8...thiana1pb3.jpg

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/8...thiana1pb3.jpg

The IInd group left in two Scorpios - AG's & SS's for Rhinoland.

After two days Gauri and I had hot water baths and so did the others except Anil & Smita who were.... Later around 10 Smita, Mrs. GD & Anil managed some excellant breakfast that we all had enjoying the warm sun on the terrace. As decided before we were to meet the rest of the gang at the Camp HQ around 2 pm and then were to proceed to Nepal that was just 25 kms away from the Reserve. The International Border is called Gauriphanta and after you croos over the border the town of Dhangadi in Nepal lies. That later..

The tale of Elephant Safari in AG's words:

"…. The next morning we got up early, and as described before, once our early morning light and sound show got over. SS and I set off for the elephant safari, now the estimates for “renting” out elephants was that a large elephant can seat no more than 4 people, but there was 7 of us for the safari. The lingo used by the forest officers in Dudhwa was amazing…

They said….

Since VIP movement बहूत है …दो हाथी possible नहीं है…..

… now that put us in a dilemma, How can then 7 people go on a safari?
The question was answered in a queer manner…. We were told…

डेढ़ हाथी (1 and a half) ही मिल सकता है!! Did you read right? डेढ़ हाथी….. can you even imagine what that means? As soon as I started thinking about some weird arrangements being worked out and figuring out who could have sat on Half an elephant I saw these two. Now For a moment, I thought the Calf has had it… we had our own behemoth SS to sit on him …..

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/6...yan1m4djk8.jpg

But then we found the battle weary, mast, out of “George of the Jungle” Hathee that went by the name of Battalik. Now the story behind this naughty haughty (sorry could not help it!!) is quite interesting, presumably some wild elephant in the jungle could not hold its primeval urge to fornicate, and one fine day ravaged the stables to pounce on poor unsuspecting Champakali (Female Tamed Tourist Elephant).

The junglee left with the grin on his face, but left Champa ripe with Batallik. He was named Battalik since he was born on the 16th of July 1999, the same day Batalik was won over by the Indian Army during the Kargil assault. Now as RP and SS so adroitly mentioned, this beast was “crazy”, it had knocked a foreigner off and was attempting to stamp on him, he was known to simply throw visiting tourists off his back and scoot off merrily into the jungle, when he was used to ferry visitors for Tiger visits (think he must have been colluding with the Tiger for its meal), he was aptly termed as half an elephant since he was more like a naughty dog. As Bumpy (SS’ younger sibling) put it aptly, Rapist ka beta hai na, isi lie aisa hai!! Lol!

Anyways, we were bundled on Champakali ……The wives along with Albert were bundled along on Battalik along with some moronic Delhiwalla’s wife, who had come with his litter of puppies, did not bother to make any bookings for himself and forced his entire family down the gullet of Batalik, somehow secretly, SS me and the remaining bunch hoped that Batalik would teach this Yuppie Dilli wala some manners. We (and the mahout) ensured that only his 1 of his members could be on “OUR BOOKED” elephant…..

The mahout was a real talkie… while telling us stories of how Bareily-walas chickened out on hearing a tiger roar to how Shatrughan Sinha monkeyed from one side of the elephant to the next on seeing Panthera Tigris in action…. all fun … almost like him reading some story out of a Ruskin Bond.. Jungle tales book. Now I learnt some interesting tones and elephant lingo from the Mahouts…. to move the Elephants forward they use the word which sounds something like .. Mahae-lh! and to make them move closer together to each other they say .. Bhidh (with a chota ee kee matra) so it sounds like …. महेल्ह महेल्ह …. भिड भिड….. So have started using the same on my Beast, whenever it makes an unnecessary sound .

We spotted a mother and a baby Rhino and got some good shots of them. This was a very good alternative than going to Kaziranga and watching the last known kinds of the Indian Rhino…There was a sense of relief and sorrow at the same time… we got to see these wonderful creatures in our lifetime, but would our progeny?

Anyways, given our (Priyanka and my) fate and their (SS and Vaishali’s) luck we knew at the outset that the only Pathera Tigris we will get to see is the one sipping tea next to Winnie the Pooh! So this was more than enough for us.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/7857/clawslu7.jpg

So now, after feeding the deer …….. and burping the elephant we headed for our own safari. The guide nonchalantly took us to see the croc, we shooed away some poor migratory bird on the pretext of taking its photographs.. and pretty much headed back out of the park…. The only other memorable site was the Railway track bang in the middle of the forest, for which GD has taken a mind-blowing snap of the tracks disappearing in the mist….

Once we exited the sanctuary, we teamed up with GD, AP and associated families and figured out the next steps…. Since it was the 29th, a holiday and already teaming up with exponentially high number of tourists, we decided it was best not to head out to the jungle, since we did not expect to see anything in the din……

It was then we decided to move to a different kind of jungle….. Now what I am going to describe next is a hilarious journey of 3 scoprios and 14 people…. In case you folks have not noticed, Dudhwa is in the district of Lakhimpur Khiri which shares a long border with Nepal. Now having done quite a bit of our country, we all decided we will head out to International Borders and return as - “Branded NRI’s from Nepal” all with family and cars…. The crossing of Nepal from India is via a place called GaureePhantaa (Go Figure!) and opens to a place called Dhangadee on the Nepalese side. En route GD screeched to a halt and we stalled, there was a wild turtle wandering on the road about to be souped by passing cars…. we saved a wild turtle from first being hustled into Desi Cab to be made soup for night time…

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4489/img7765vr4.jpg

Desis: Hum bhi local hain…. Hume pata hai iske saath kya karna hai (Pointing towards their open car door)

Scorpio Samaritans: Nahin isse … paas ke pond mein daal dete hain… bechara…

We put the turtle there… thats one good deed for the scorpio group!… and as we were scooting off from there we could have sworn we heard someone (or something) screaming

"Saallaa… it took me 4 days to get to the middle of the road… and these a’holes put me right back where I started from…. a’holes a’holes a’holes…. (as we disappeared from site)"

More to come...
Old 15th January 2008, 14:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

wah wah sab. fundooo
Old 15th January 2008, 15:11   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post

"Saallaa… it took me 4 days to get to the middle of the road… and these a’holes put me right back where I started from…. a’holes a’holes a’holes…. (as we disappeared from site)"

More to come...
LOL.. very interesting travelogue.. waiting for more..
Old 15th January 2008, 15:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

Dudhwa - Tales, Tails & Travails - IVth stage

Crossover to Nepal - afternoon of 30.12.07

This is what AG had to narrate and exactly in his words:

"One of us (now I do not know who) figured out that the Nepalaese mountains (aka Himalayas) are all but 25km from the border. So the Yeti in all of us jumped out….. and we jumped to the opportunity…. Anil “Kancha” Sharma was already playing the lead role in this fiasco which was about to happen…. Since Indians required no permit to enter Nepal, we were simply asked to display our drivers license for ID and RC as ownership proof for the Beasts the formalities were done quickly…. at this point Anil “Kancha” Sharma (Henceforth refered to as AKS) was all jumpy …

AKS: Arre we entering “Mera Illaka” ab main tum logon ko ghoomaata hoon…. dont worry I am there na… I am with you guys na…. I will take care of everything.. dont worry…

AG/SS/GD/RP: Sahee hai yaar… humare saath to full 2 Neplaee hai… ab Nepal mein bahoot maza Ayega….

What were we to know what AKS meant when he said … Goomaata hoon. Now since, as much as we tried passing Albert as a Kashmiri, the lingo gave way on the border… luckily for us he was carrying his passport, so we quickly got his “Exit” from India stamped…. we were also told that we will need to get the “entry” for him done at the Nepalese Immigration…. So once we were all bundled up in our stingers… we drove over the Bridge across “International Water” .

On the Nepalese side we immediately saw soldiers with AK-47's and LMG’s. We joked and AKS went across to get the paper work done for us.

AG/GD/SS/RP: Sahee hai yaar… AKS to full 2 Nepali Local Hai.. ab to bahoot aaraam se mazaa ayega…

AKS to Custom Guys at Nepal Border in Nepali: Gibberish…. Gibberish… 2 Cars 14 people… Gibberish Gibberish…. Ok good?

AKS to RP/GD/AG/SS: Its all done we are getting in 3 cars for the price for 2…. Dekha mera kamaal?

RP/GD/AG/SS: Yaar too to bahoot sahee hai!! Full 2 Kancha….3 cheers for AKS…..

AG to AKS: Lekin yaar Albert?

AKS to AG: Arre… main hoon na? maine unko bol dia hai… sab ho gaya hai…. No tension, I will take care of all of you… I am Kancha….

Albert to AG: I think we are forgetting something….

AG to AKS: Yaar lekin Albert…….

So once it was settled… we entered Nepal… across International Borders… across the 7 seas far away from our Motherland driving Scorpios with HR/DL number plates….. totally Kyool….. And to know that we have AKS the great in our midst…

AG (Thinking): Yaar Lekin Albert… … … Arre apne saaath Kancha Hai… Sharma Jee se kaun panga lega Nepal mein…. Dekhi Jayegee…. Nepal mein…

So with AKS in RP’s car…SS in mine and GD with family the “Bannered” Scorpio owners cavalcade, we zoomed into Nepal. Now none of us knew where we were and started driving behind RP…. Suddenly RP stops and takes a U turn… we are like… arre what happened?

AKS: There is nothing to eat ahead… we should head towards the market to eat and then head out… we have to reach before the border closes which is around 7 pm…. we will make it…I am there na? Just follow me….

All of us: Ok … AKS knows best!

So we took a perpendicular road… looking for restaurants …. we found on Fancy looking place called…. (forgot its name) parked our cars and took a peak inside… some shady looking maoist characters drinking away to glory…

AKS: There is a place called (forgot its name) nearby let us go there….

AG to Local People: Boss (forgot its name) kahan hai?

Local People: Usse acha to yeh hai!

AKS dissapears for a while and reappears…

AKS: There is another place called Bells Cafe up ahead let us go there….

AG: Do not go by good names… maybe shady too…

AKS: I am there na… let us go!

Everyone OK, so AG took the lead this time.

Now I do not know how it started, but SS and AG began with what was a discussion and how did it progress? …

SS: Pulsar 200 is a solid bike… blah blah blah…

AG: I do not think so 125cc … sorry 150cc blah blah… bad performance
blah blah..

SS: Abe oye! Chapadganjoo… You no zilch about Bikes… and I am an encyclopedia impersonate on bikes… Pulsar is a good bike..

AG: Is not

SS: Are too..

Is Not… are too.. ..

Mine is bigger than yours… No mine is …

IS NOT… ARE TOO ARE TOO….

SS: OH JUST SHUT UP!

AG (Thinking) : Saale ko yahin se Nepali pulsar pe bitha ke wapas bhaga dete hain!

But in lighter vein… I did see the “verbal” side of SS that I have talked about often but experienced only this time..

Suddenly RP honks and blares lights from behind…. in our melee we missed Bells Cafe…

AKS: Are main hoon na? Let us keep heading out we will find something up ahead… We will lead you follow…

All of us: AKS knows best he is our Leader… Humara Leader … Zindabad…

AG (In the back of his mind): Yaar… lekin Albert…. chalo no problem AKS is with us

Suddenly RP takes U turn again…

Everyone thinking (except AKS): Yeh AKS ko kuch pata bhi hai.. yaa…. “Ghooma” Raha hai?

AKS: I know what I am doing… just had a flash of memory from my previous Nepali Birth… there is nothing up ahead… let us go back to Bells Cafe…

Everyone (including AKS): We do not know where we are headed, let us drop the idea of Nepali mountains… eat and boogger off from here….

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/4...llscafecr3.png

To Get a picture of what Bells Cafe is all about note the punch line.. ” When The Bells Ring” also, this is what the Menu Card said (roughly the following but in classier english)..
“Toilet is not inside. It is under the stairs ground floor on your left, only for guests.”
“Outside food not allowed We have the following to eat”

…. I mean… aaaaghh!! We are sitting on the ground floor!!!!

Also, in Bells Cafe we got to see the AKS in his new Avataar… Matire-D of Bells cafe… lost in last birth now found…. for the exclusive pleasure of the scorpio gang..

AKS: What will you all have to drink and eat?

Everyone: Ummm…. Err….

AKS: Arre Wait I know this place like the back of my hand…

Disappears… Appears with a bottle of wine for the ladies…

Ladies: 3 Cheers for AKS

AG(Thinking): Lekin Albert…..

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/2...llscafexy9.jpg

AKS: Beaming….

People ordered Thukpa, chowmien.. Carlsberg Beer… and the general atmosphere was jovial and humorous.

so we had our fun laffs and jokes… Some snaps at Bells cafe. GD seems to be enjoying his holidays

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/1594/selfvt9.jpg

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/5066/dsc0016pr4.jpg

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/7030/dsc0017oz4.jpg

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/2497/dsc0018lf5.jpg

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/9...sssgearky4.jpg

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/8181/dsc0022lx6.jpg

AKS settled the bills and we started heading out…

Enroute the women and Mrs.GD especially was kind enough to consider buying supplies to last us 2 more days on the jungle… again AKS used his “contacts” … ran around fetched supplies along with Mrs.GD….

AG (Thinking): We are headed back… what about Albert? AKS is “Kancha” in Nepal but in India he is only AS..I think we are going to make ASses of ourselves….

So we all head back… now we cross the Indian border and the Immigration “Afsar” is out some where for Tea/Brunch and would be back in 30 minutes….and since Albert has to get his passport stamped, let RP/AS move back with their car and arrange for the guide to take us back to the forest rest house since after dark private cars are not allowed in the park….

AS: Yeah Yeah! we will go back and make everything alright….

RP/AS booger off and once they are out of sight we realise that AS has left the food supplies in our car and run away with the booze….
30 minutes later the Afsar arrives, apologizes for the delay…. and sets off to his work verifying Alberts passport

AG (Panic Thinking): What about Albert?…. What about Albert??? AS has boogered off… what will happen now?

Now what happened next some of you may well imagine… and is something not quite approved by legality so it is best left unsaid… but these are its aftermath

AG (In Manoj Kumar Style): Phat Gayeee……..

SS started cooking up some Kaka Meme excuse which was promptly slapped back by the Afsar…

Albert (Thinking in Dutch): Phat Gayee…..

Now folks, without spelling out too much detail… the travails began here.. what transpired next took place till about 10pm at night, across International borders, which were sealed…. inumerous Gandee Galees were shouted out at the Anil “Invisible/Psuedo-Dependable” Sharma….. who boogered off WITHOUT the supplies but WITH the booze…

It is now that GD started heating his “Iron Rod” for Mr. Anil Sharma, off which we heard about earlier….

AG started (mentally) imitating choicest and most painful Kung-Fu moves on the imaginary target that went by the name Anil “Dependable Kancha” Sharma….. Not sure what Albert was thinking, but I remember him telling me something about Austin Powers…. and what can happen in Austin Powers….

But all said and done an adventure is an adventure and we have AS to thank for it!! We GD/AG/SS somehow managed to reach the sanctuary back.. and nearly ran all our cars over AKS…. who (as expected) pleaded ignorance of the matter and tried to brush things under the carpet…. but I think this matter will be taken far into his life… and ours… and possibly, God willing, will be a story for the progeny…..

We had our dinner that night fully content with our adventures… and RP/AG moved on towards Delhi the next day…. Not much to talk about the next day except.. when we woke up in the morning there was ICE on our cars, it had struck 0 degrees Celcius that night.. this is some of what we saw (and there is one more Amazing photos taken by BCG which reflect blue Hues off ice on his beasts roof!! Sirjee kindly make it available for all….!!)

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/2...ozentopof9.jpg

Return journey was uneventful, apart from the fact that we nearly had a life threatening mishap due to some faulty overtaking and talking too much behind the wheel, all on my part, discussion on Karma and philosophies between Albert, Priyanka and Me… Huge backlog of traffic on Delhi Ghaziabad border all revelers for the new year on the 31st of Dec….

!!NICE HOT SHOWER AFTER 3 DAYS OF MUDDY JUNGLE ADVENTURE!!

My side of the story ends here…. hope who ever is reading it gets a feel of what this Gang of Scorpios has been thru… Looking forward to many more such escapades"

Thus AG's narration ends and the 3rd day at Dudhwa ends.

More to come.....
Old 15th January 2008, 15:50   #21
BHPian

GD uncle mazza aa jata hai aapka travelogue padh kar.
Old 15th January 2008, 16:41   #22
BHPian

gd bro awesome man to go through such a detailed travelogue.......i heard during the meet and was curious to know your experience.....
Old 15th January 2008, 19:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Dudhwa - Tales, Tails & Travails - Vth stage

This was the last day of 2007 and also the last day for Roshun & his sister Shona, Ashish, Priyanka & Albert as they were heading back to Delhi/NCR due to professional constraints. Even Anil, Smita, Anubhav & Bumpy were planning to go back but somehow Mrs.GD managed to convince them to stay back.

AG & RP took the Pilibhit route back to Delhi with AG having a near miss on the way that made Albert react - "Kyool, let us do it again".

31st was a better day which unlike the rest of the days was not foggy. It was a clear day and all indications pointed to a beautiful sunrise. And lo behold! the sun rose for the last time in the year 2007.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/9...eof2007ae8.jpg

After 2 days of spotting little games we were desparate to see Stripes as nary a roar or a whimper or a meeeeow was heard from the jungle. And we were supposedly staying in one of the core areas of the jungle. I must mention that every night, being a late sleeper, I used to hear deer call in alarm, indicating some predator was on the move somewhere near.

During breakfast on the terrace we entrusted a mission to the youngest members of our group - Abhinav & Bumpy. We told them to talk to Rana and take him to confidence and offer him incentive @ Rs. 50/- per member of our group so that he makes sure that we see the Tiger. Apparently they forgot to talk to him; this we were to know later.

Well all bundled in two Scorpios - The Bull & the Vader with Guide Rana in my car we headed for the jungle with high hopes. On our way, as the warmth of the sun filtered through the thick foliage we spotted the elusive, rare white crested Eagle that was starting its day.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/6...edeagleol3.jpg

We drove at all the known spots, including the Machaan where a monkey was giving insistent alarm calls and occassionaly we heard deer calling.

And believe me, this was the mating season for Tigers'.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/5383/cranesns9.jpg

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/6...trationbs2.jpg

Monkeys are one of the biggest enemies of tiger & leopard. Because as soon as the monkeys/langurs spot one they create such a ruckus that the predators' prey get alerted and scamper away. Also the Stripes & Spots love primate meat..And one of the biggest gathering of the primates is at Banke Talaab.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3862/dsc0033cg6.jpg

Guide Rana took us to Banke Talaab the most famous watering hole of the forest. He informed that it is one of the places where sure sightings do happen. I thought that the incentive factor is working. But alas, that was not to be.

Here I should mention a fact. Dudhwa Park has timings for visit - Morning: 7 to 10 am and Evening: 3 to 6 pm; and you can enter the forest only if you are accompanied with a guide assigned by the DFO. All the vehicles that would have gone inside the forest have to return by the closing time or else the guides are penalised along with the tourists.

Now here the ineteresting tale starts. The sun was up and look at the watch showed the time as 11 am. An hour past closing time. Seeing our desire to watch Tiger while scouring the jungle, Rana pointed to a thicket that was dark, apparently had no tracks and asked us to turn our vehicles there. I was a bit hesitant as I could not see any track but he told me to proceed. He also mentioned that no visitor/tourist is ever brought here as this is very dangerous and that he was risking his neck out for us. Was the incentive behind this bravado?

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7328/dsc0031pt4.jpg

This drive for about 20 odd minutes was one the most amazing drives that SS & I ever had. It was through 10-15 feet high elephant grass and periodically Rana was asking su to stop the car to listen some jungle sounds. It was thrilling, scary and awesome.

In SS's words that I quote:

"I do recall a saying that goes something like - "Fools tread in where angels fear.." or something to that effect. Here then are a series of pictures of GD's wagon, barging into a patch of elephant grass in search of panthera tigris. For 20 whole minutes (seemed like an eternity in there!), Bull & Vader skulked around ye high scrubs, bounced over ruts and boulders and generally provided us the thrills of a lifetime. We still didn't catch hair or whisker of Tigger, but the experience goes down with me as the single most electrifying until I have the guts to go down off the Great Barrier Reef to eyeball Jaws!"

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5180/dsc0029ef5.jpg

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/8590/dsc0030bk5.jpg

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5023/img7808eo0.jpg

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1073/img7799ei6.jpg

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5435/img7810qg2.jpg

We weren't lucky enough to spot. We returned and the time was 1 pm. Guide said that we can't go in from the regular exit gate since we have overshot the time and will be penalised and he could loose his job as well. He took us out from an opening near a place called Chandan Chowki and from there we returned to Sathiana to have lunch and decide the next course of action.

On way to our Rest House I mentioned to Rana that I wanted to meet 'Billy' Arjan Singh the Honorary Tiger of Dudhwa. He said that "Billy" was 87 yrs old and cranky and didn't like visitors. But that he would show us his abode from across the Neoru river that flows on the fringes of forest.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/2118/dsc0069yh0.jpg

How I longed to meet him..!

When we returned Munnilal had the lunch ready and hot paranthas were order of the day. As we came back empty handed I was very keen to return to the forest during the afternoon visiting hours. Shanno & gauri were game but SS & Vaishali were tired and feeling lethargic. A bit of cajoling and pleading made SS agree on the condition that he would not drive but would ride with me. I agreed and this resulted in dropping of Bumpy, Anil & Smita. They chose to stay back as there was not enough space in the Bull.

As it was New Year's eve Shanno gave last minute instructions to Munnilal for the night feast and one single desi 2.5 Kg Murga was ordered from the nearby village. And off we went in search of the Big Cat.

The second session was no better and except a peacock and couple of deers we couldn't see anything.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1737/img7858os1.jpg

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/9...odbyetocp9.jpg

While returning back to the rest house we saw the most amazing last sunset of 2007.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/4...tsunsetez6.jpg

Tired and dejected we returned to our rooms and freshened up to celebrate New Year in the forest. Munnilal had the fireplace crackling and with enough supplies of spirit we raised toast.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/1923/dsc0078yn1.jpg

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/9039/dsc0077ko3.jpg

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/1025/dsc0076yp0.jpg

When we checked with Bumpy and Anubhav if they spoke to Rana about the incentive, they said that they forgot..

The reveleries went on till 11 pm and we were too tired and sleepy to welcome 2008. After deciding to get up early the next day to leave by 7 am to Delhi we hit the sack just as a deer called in a succession of alarm as if mocking us on our failure.

The concluding New Year tale will come later.

Last edited by gd1418 : 15th January 2008 at 19:12.
Old 15th January 2008, 20:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Dudhwa - Tales, Tails & Travails - Conclusion

January 1, 2008

Today was the day to move out of this beautiful, pristine forest with a heavy heart. 3 days flew away without mobiles ringing, away from the tensions of city life. We felt rejuvenated. We woke up to a dense foggy morning and all hopes of seeing the New Year's sun rise vapourised. Since most of the packing was done the previous night there was little to do in the morning other than getting ready and putting the belongings in the car.

After the last cuppa of hot tea served by Munnilal, we were ready to roll out and we did so at 7:30. On the way we had to drop Rana at the Camp HQ. We were hoping against hope of seeing something on the 10 km drive back to HQ. Not even a bird in that darn fog. Enroute Palia SS who was leading, had a near miss as out of the fog suddenly a truck materialised.

That moron had no lights on so as to warn the oncoming vehicles.

We had decided to tank up at the Reliance pump at Palia. After tanking up we proceeded with trepidation as the route via Pilibhit was also no better as the previous party had reported. We reached Mailani from where the route bifurcated - one via shahjahanpur and the other via Pilibhit.

We stopped for breakfast at one of the roadside dhabas who made fresh gobhi, mooli, aloo & egg paranthas for all of us.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1335/dsc0004zh3.jpg

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/8086/dsc00587bv9.jpg

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/3503/img7869zh1.jpg

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/8619/dsc0007ju2.jpg

And btw, what is Mrs.GD doing behind the dhaba counter..?

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/9807/img7880bd8.jpg

Vehicle tanked up, tummy fuelled and raring to go now

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/7835/dsc00585sq9.jpg

Here we casually asked the dhaba owner about the route and then he pointed towards the road to shahjahanpur which was a fork. When RP & I came we had taken the old route that was the left road at the fork. The owner pointed us to the right side road of the fork and said that is the 'VIP road' and is like "makkhan-malai". With a bit of doubt we took that road and lo behold, what a metalled road it was. We made good speed and were well before schedule and reached Rampur by 2:30 pm.

As you all shall recall in Rampur on New Year's a terrorist attack took place on the CISF camp killing few people. UP CM came visitng and all our schedule went haywire. All traffic was stopped just before the town as the CM was scheduled to leave. We waited for more than 2 hours before the green signal was given.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/9853/img7885mx3.jpg

Anubhav, AG's bro was in our car and Anil/Smita were in SS's as they had parked their car in his place. SS had asked his maid to prepare food for folks in his car as AG had organised dinner for us at his place.

Without any further event we reached Gurgaon at 10 pm. Thus ends our Dudhwa trip. I hope it was quite detailed with the route conditons. I feel this would be of great help to those who would like to visit Dudhwa in future.

Amen
Old 15th January 2008, 22:02   #25
BHPian

Excellent travelogue GD sir! Perfect virtual trip. There's one gripe though - Picture size. There are some excellent photos there and I can hardly see anything due to the size. Please do upload larger versions and provide the links. Am sure others would also want to see the fantastic railway track pic in its full glory
Old 15th January 2008, 23:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Mohit. Tried my best to compile as succinctly as possible. The photographs are in 380 x 420 size automatically done by imageshack.

Otherwise I do not know how to embed pics in the text like others do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Excellent travelogue GD sir! Perfect virtual trip. There's one gripe though - Picture size. There are some excellent photos there and I can hardly see anything due to the size. Please do upload larger versions and provide the links. Am sure others would also want to see the fantastic railway track pic in its full glory
Old 15th January 2008, 23:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Dudhwa - credits

My apologies for not including this bit of information in my concluding narration.

Credit where due, should be and must be given. I shall be failing in my duty if I don't do so. I shall also by lying if I say that the entire narration is mine.

This travelogue in such minute details with humour and satire thrown in, would not have been possible if the inputs from Ashish, Roshun, Subhashish and Anil had not come/taken. While majority of the pictures have been taken by me, some from the private collection of the above fellow Scorpers have been also taken.

My sincere thanks to all the four for this and also making this trip a memorable one.
Old 15th January 2008, 23:22   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Thank you Mohit. Tried my best to compile as succinctly as possible. The photographs are in 380 x 420 size automatically done by imageshack.

Otherwise I do not know how to embed pics in the text like others do.
Can you confirm if you have the "resize image?" box checked on the imageshack.us page? You can uncheck it or select the appropriate size from the dropdown.
Old 15th January 2008, 23:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the "resize image?" box is checked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Can you confirm if you have the "resize image?" box checked on the imageshack.us page? You can uncheck it or select the appropriate size from the dropdown.
Old 15th January 2008, 23:52   #30
BHPian

Sir then either uncheck it or select a bigger size from the selection box to the right of resize box. That way your images should come out bigger.
See below:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks