Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2013, 20:48   #16
BHPian

Re: Query: Pune -Surat, Which is the best route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Same Vapi-manor-Thane-New Bombay route is best.
Bumping up this old thread as I need latest info and advice as I may travel to Surat from Pune. Is this the best route today for travelling between Pune to Surat. How are the road conditions.

What are other precautions I need to take if I am taking a MH registered car to Gujarat, I heard from somebody that one needs to put a yellow strip on the headlights as this is required in Gujarat.
Old 27th April 2013, 21:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
Bumping up this old thread as I need latest info and advice as I may travel to Surat from Pune. Is this the best route today for travelling between Pune to Surat. How are the road conditions.

What are other precautions I need to take if I am taking a MH registered car to Gujarat, I heard from somebody that one needs to put a yellow strip on the headlights as this is required in Gujarat.
Yes, road is superb.
To go through Bombay/Thane, take the Expressway-Belapur-New Bombay Turbhe-Airoli Bridge-Mulund EEH-Thane EEH-Ghodbunder route.
Yes, you have to put a yellow strip on your right side headlamp
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 22:05   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Yes, road is superb.
To go through Bombay/Thane, take the Expressway-Belapur-New Bombay Turbhe-Airoli Bridge-Mulund EEH-Thane EEH-Ghodbunder route.
Yes, you have to put a yellow strip on your right side headlamp
Wow, I post a question and get an reply half an hour. Thank you HVK, appreciate. As somebody mentioned in this thread earlier, really appreciate the great service you are providing on this forum.

One more question though, is it ok if I put any yellow strip (I am actually referring to insulating tape you usually get in a roadside electrical shop)
deepaktpatil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 22:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
Wow, I post a question and get an reply half an hour. Thank you HVK, appreciate. As somebody mentioned in this thread earlier, really appreciate the great service you are providing on this forum.

One more question though, is it ok if I put any yellow strip (I am actually referring to insulating tape you usually get in a roadside electrical shop)
Yes, the yellow insulation tape is best, that is what I use too
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2014, 08:44   #20

I am planning a week end : Mumbai - Nasik - Daman - Mumbai. I have done Mumbai-Nasik and Mumbai-Daman numerous times. I was looking for some way to Daman directly from Nasik or should I include Saputara?
Old 18th November 2020, 22:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Brief about NH 848: an alternative to NH48 to travel from Surat to Pune.

I frequently travel Pune - Surat - Ankleshwar - Pune by car for business purpose. The route I normally take is Pune - Nerul - Turbhe - Airoli bridge - Ghodbundar - NH48 to Ankleshwar.

On last two trips in last two months, I noticed more than pre-covid traffic on the road. Even when I started from Pune at 4 am to avoid traffic in Mumbai, around half an hour was still wasted immediately after crossing Vasai creek because of the traffic jam created by the vehicles coming from the opposite (wrong) side of the road. On the way back, there was long queue with bumper to bumper traffic waiting to cross the Vasai creek. Besides this, the construction work (Metro, I think) is going on at Ghodbunder road as well as Mulund. All this wastes a lot of time.

To avoid this, I used to choose odd time to pass through Thane, like reaching Thane after 11 pm or reaching Vasai creek before 6 am. But all this either creates a considerable fatigue (late night driving) or longer time (if you take halts to avoid fatigue). Besides these hassles of crossing Thane / Vasai, maneuvering through the heavy truck traffic occupying all the 3 lanes all along the NH48 is another factor which reduces the driving pleasure.

So, while returning from Ankleshwar last time, I took the following route:
Ankleshwar - Valsad - Killa Pardi - Nana Pondha - Peint - Nasik - Alephata - Pune. Killa Pardi to Nasik road is being developed as NH 848 as an alternative to NH48 between Surat and Mumbai / Pune.

Normally, the people would advise Killa Pardi to Nasik to be driven during the daytime considering that this is an odd / lonely rote, passing through ghat and jungle. I found that this route is convenient especially during the night. I started from Ankleshwar at 4:45 pm and passed Killa Pardi at 7:15 pm. It was already dark, I was alone. But my well-maintained, lovely, reliable SX4 with new tyres maintained my confidence. I reached Nasik in 4 and half hours + break time. This was with relaxed driving at 60-70 kmph. Though the road passes through ghat and jungle, it is not at all lonely. All the way from Killa Pardi till Nasik, I always had a company of trucks and tempos, Sumos and Scorpios. I found clean well-lit petrol pumps at every few kms. I found many dhabas too. So I can say with confidence that this route is safe from loneliness point of view.

The road is single lane. Since I crossed Killa Pardi at 7:30 pm, I encountered hardly any two wheeler or three wheeler traffic. It made my journey fast and fatigue free. What took me 4.5 hours in the night might have taken 5 or 5.5 hours in the daytime. But still it is quicker and more enjoying than NH48.

Another thing: this route is scenic. You will enjoy the nature and the clean air. Since I travelled in the night, I could not take pictures. But this was the second time I travelled on this route and I had seen the beauty of the nature during my first trip in daytime, in 2019. That time, I had taken 5.5 hours. The time taken was due to road work in progress and innumerable diversions. Compared to 2019, road work has progressed a lot. But after crossing GJ border and entering MH, the roads aren't that good. The road work is still in progress on MH side and there are a few diversions too. But with all this, I could manage Ankleshwar - Peint - Nasik - Pune quicker than Ankleshwar - Thane - Pune. And with less fatigue.

Total time taken was 8 hours + time for breaks with relaxed driving. The speeds maintained were as follows:
  • Ankleshwar - Killa Pardi: 60 - 80 kmph owing to heavy truck traffic occupying all 3 lanes on NH48.
  • Killa Pardi - Nasik: 60 - 70 kmph owing to night driving on single lane road passing through ghat and jungle.
  • Nasik - Pune: 80 - 90 kmph. Hardly crossed 90 kmph though the road was empty most of the time because it was very late in the night.
Attached Thumbnails
Query: Pune -Surat, Which is the best route?-untitled.png  

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 18th November 2020 at 22:22.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 11:32   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

What's the current condition of Nashik Surat road? I am driving to Ahmedabad from Pune tomorrow. Any route suggestions?
Old 15th October 2022, 14:59   #23

Anyone who has done Pune - Surat recently, could you please share if it is better via Mumbai or Nashik?
Old 15th October 2022, 16:18   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupneelay View Post
Anyone who has done Pune - Surat recently, could you please share if it is better via Mumbai or Nashik?
Just completed Surat - Pune via Mumbai on the 10 Oct and return on 13 Oct Pune - Surat via Thane(Ghodbunder). The road condition has vastly improved to good as can get speeds upto 90 kmph but the traffic density is high. Currently takes about 9 hrs. Was contemplating taking the Pune - Nasik - Surat route but google maps showed it as about 1.5 - 2 hrs more hence did not take it. So left Pune at 10.00 hrs and reached Surat at 19.30 hrs. Traffic was heavy on the stretch from Ghodbunder to Vasai bridge till the Bhiwandi bypass on NH 48. Then again from Gujarat border to Surat.
so wish you happy and safe journey.
ACMerchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 16:23   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMerchant View Post
Just completed Surat - Pune via Mumbai on the 10 Oct and return on 13 Oct Pune - Surat via Thane(Ghodbunder). The road condition has vastly improved to good as can get speeds upto 90 kmph but the traffic density is high. Currently takes about 9 hrs. Was contemplating taking the Pune - Nasik - Surat route but google maps showed it as about 1.5 - 2 hrs more hence did not take it. So left Pune at 10.00 hrs and reached Surat at 19.30 hrs. Traffic was heavy on the stretch from Ghodbunder to Vasai bridge till the Bhiwandi bypass on NH 48. Then again from Gujarat border to Surat.
so wish you happy and safe journey.
For me it is showing almost the same time via Mumbai and via Nashik. Via Nashik its 20-30.kms more still. FYI - I stay in Kharadi so maps is showing me the Nashik route via Shikrapur - Sangamner.
anupneelay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 17:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupneelay View Post
For me it is showing almost the same time via Mumbai and via Nashik. Via Nashik its 20-30.kms more still. FYI - I stay in Kharadi so maps is showing me the Nashik route via Shikrapur - Sangamner.
I started from Ghorpadi which I believe is near Kharadi in Pune. Also I use Google maps so most of the routes and approximate travel time has always been accurate.

Last edited by ACMerchant : 15th October 2022 at 17:34. Reason: Remembered some more points
ACMerchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 15:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

Drove from Pun to Surat - Ahmedabad last week and returned today.

I took the usual route: Nasik - Peint - Kaparada - Nana Pondha - Killa Pardi. A 7 km stretch starting from Kaparada towards Nana Pondha is in very bad shape. After this 7 km stretch, there are few big potholes offering surprises till Killa Pardi. Otherwise the roads are good.

I covered Nasik - Killa Pardi during the night both ways and felt safe. There are enough petrol pumps, few dhabas and enough company of other vehicles on the roads, though mostly the trucks and tempos.

There is no mobile signal between Peint and Nana Pondha though GPS location shows up correctly on the map. The locals told me that only the Jio has some coverage there.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks