Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2007, 18:49   #1
IMP
BHPian

Query: Pune -Surat, Which is the best route?

Hi,
I am planning to travel to Surat from Pune next week, which road is the best? I am getting mixed reports, such as
1) Pune - Nashik - Surat
2) Pune - Mumbai - Surat

interestingly, Yahoo maps has shown the route as here
whereas if i select lonavala(since it is just 40 min. away, thx to the Expressway) to surat it shows like here

Is it possible to do a return trip in one day with 5-6 hrs stay in surat?

TIA
Old 25th November 2007, 19:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

The best route is via Bombay. The Nashik route involves going through some bad ghat roads.

The road via Bombay to Surat is great all the way. Distance from Bombay is 280 kms. I am a very fast driver, have done this in 4 hours, but I would expect a moderately fast driver to take around 5-6 hours. Add 2 hours fpor Pune-Bombay and 1 hour to bypass Bombay, that makes 7-8 hours for teh Pune-Surat trip. Unless you are prepared to drive through the night 1 way, it is not possible to drive to and fro the same day.

To bypass BOmbay, take teh following route:
Kalamboli (NH4,expressway end)-Belapur-Nerul-Turbhe-Kopar Khairne-Airoli-Airoli Thane Creek Bridge-Eastern Expressway at Bhandup/Mulund-Mulund-Thane-Thane/Kapurwadi-Ghodbunder Road-Ghodbunder (NH8).

Ideally, leave early from Pune (say, 4-5 am) so that you can cross Bombay by 7 am before traffic intensifies. NH8 from Ghodbunder is in good condition via Manor, Charoti, Talasary, Vapi, Valsad, Navsari. Expect traffic jams approching Surat because of flyover construction work in the Surat bypass.
Old 25th November 2007, 20:13   #3
IMP
BHPian

Thanks for the comprehensive details, especially the mumbai bypass route.
I will opt the mumbai route now.

One more thing, i do 240 kms in 3.5 hrs from pune to kolhapur quiet regularly (100kph constant), so do you think this road should be any different? (I am assuming the NH-8 to be 4 lane all through)
Old 25th November 2007, 20:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

It is 4 lane all the way, and good road at that, but the Pune-Kolhapur is faster (I myself do the 400 kms from Bombay to Kolhapur in 4.5 hours). Traffic is very high on NH8, but you can keep cruising speeds of 100 kmph.
Old 27th November 2007, 12:08   #5
BHPian

Mods : Please redirect this page to the correct thread if I am deviating from the rules. Since Mr. HV Kumar is involved in answering this thread I am posting this.

Myself and my family would like to extend my sincere appreciation to Mr. H V Kumar for his excellent report on the Hyd-Goa route via Bijapur, which I recently used. Thanks to his reporting I could return to Hyd avoiding the longer and terrible road via Kolhapur.
IMO he's doing yeoman service by suggesting the best routes, including all details of petrol bunks, roadside restaurants etc. We are proud to have him in our midst.
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The best route is via Bombay. The Nashik route involves going through some bad ghat roads.
----------------------
Expect traffic jams approching Surat because of flyover construction work in the Surat bypass.
Dear HV, I'm planning for Surat-Lonavala-Surat. What route is better? My Zen runs on CNG too.
Old 3rd April 2009, 21:37   #7
BHPian

You should take the same route as suggested by HV for Surat-Pune. NH8 for Surat to Mumbai , bypass via Ghodbunder-Eastern Express Highway-Mulund-Airoli-Turbhe-Nerul-Expressway, take the lonavala cut from the expressway. Ideally, it should take 6-7 hours for the entire trip. 4-5 hrs for Surat-Mumbai, 1 hour in Mumbai, & 1 hour on the expressway.
Old 3rd April 2009, 22:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Same Vapi-manor-Thane-New Bombay route is best.
Old 4th April 2009, 06:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Same Vapi-manor-Thane-New Bombay route is best.
Thanks! After Vapi where is next CNG station? Any idea?
Old 4th April 2009, 21:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkhileshDalia View Post
Thanks! After Vapi where is next CNG station? Any idea?
I have seen a CNG station at Ankleshwar, on NH8 itself - to the left side, you can't miss it, it is a HPCL Club HP pump.
Old 6th April 2009, 19:50   #11

Ankleshwar does not come between Surat-Lonawala. Do you have any idea about Thane?
Old 6th April 2009, 20:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkhileshDalia View Post
Ankleshwar does not come between Surat-Lonawala. Do you have any idea about Thane?
Sorry, overlooked that!

Yes, there are CNG pumps in Thane.
The one which is on your way is at Majiwade (where Ghodbunder-Thane road ends in the flyover at the road to Nashik), but you will have to do a U-turn to get to the pump which is on the other side.

For further guidance,
As you coem to Thane from Ghodbunder (NH8 turn off point), you will cross (after 16 kms), the VijaySales showroom (left), Cine Wonder multiples (to teh right) and Ford showroom (to the left). You will cross a Club HP pump (to your left), then reach a round junction ( Big Bazaar to the left). Immediately after the round, you will see the BPCL petrol pump on your right, but to get to the other side of the road, you can take a U-turn 50 metres after crossing the petrol pump.

I am not sure whether the Shell petrol pump on Thane-Turbhe-Belapur road (near Dhirubhai Ambani Knowledge City) has CNG, but I think that and another BPCl pump nearby in that road also have CNG pumps - they are easier to access.
Old 7th April 2009, 20:12   #13

Great geographi mind!!

HV I have all papers ready with me. What RTO of MH demands?
Old 7th April 2009, 20:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

Carry all papers in original.

- R C Book
- Driving License
- Insurance
- PUC

Normally, private cars are not stopped unless there is a security check post (naka bandi).

Wear seat belts at all times.
No talking on mobile, you will be caught even if you are on hands-free.
In cities like Bombay, drunken driving attracts imprisonment/ heavy fines.

Don't stop at any check post, no need for private cars.
Hopefully, your number plates are both in English.
Very dark sun film is not permitted (but I don't know what thickness/ transparency is permissible).
Ensure lane discipline at signals in cities.
Old 8th April 2009, 07:12   #15

HV, Big Thank You!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks