Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2007, 08:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Bahrampur to Krishnangar in West Bengal.
Infact the stretch between Moregram and Ballalpur before Farakka was notorious for dacoity (also they used to kill the driver). Things are changing now. It is not like it was in early 90s. Those fellows sell litchis in the daytime and do dacoity in the nighttime.

I remember Truckers assemble at baharampur and used to go in a group till past Farakka barrage to avoid getting killed by dacoits.

Abhi
Old 13th December 2007, 10:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

I was told that the roads out of Kharagpur on NH6 (approaching Jharkhand and Orissa border) are also bad.
Old 13th December 2007, 10:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I would disagree with you too, my hometown is Moradabad & I travel this route atleast twice every week! Majority of the incidents happen in the Gajraula-Moradabad stretch where fog cover is the heaviest and police presence which you claim as heavy is actually patchy. I personally have had close misses & know of quite a few incidents that have happened to people known to me including one where a friend's Son-in-Law to be was murdered after being robbed along with his father hours before his marriage was to take place in Moradabad. They were travelling from Ghaziabad to Moradabad for the wedding.

Way back in 1994, whe I travelled by bus from Naintial to Delhi, vehicles were bunched together in convoys for the Gajraula stretch to prevent dacoity.

After that incident, I drove through this stretch only by day.
Old 14th December 2007, 06:07   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I would disagree with you too, my hometown is Moradabad & I travel this route atleast twice every week! Majority of the incidents happen in the Gajraula-Moradabad stretch where fog cover is the heaviest and police presence which you claim as heavy is actually patchy. I personally have had close misses & know of quite a few incidents that have happened to people known to me including one where a friend's Son-in-Law to be was murdered after being robbed along with his father hours before his marriage was to take place in Moradabad. They were travelling from Ghaziabad to Moradabad for the wedding.

P.S. And Gajraula is not midway, that would be Simbhaoli about 80-odd kms from Moradabad & Delhi. Gajraula is 56kms from Moradabad & about 110kms from Delhi.

Yes you are right about the distance. i did not think the location of Gajraula was the point under consideration so was generalizing. But now i guess it will become a credibility issue. Also am sorry about your friend's loss.

Anyways a couple of points. My parents shifted there 3years ago and so that is the time for which i have a record. Also company cars make daily trips to Hapur, Moradabad, Rampur and Delhi. Never heard any such incident happening to them. The police presence i was talking about is at designated spots all along the route. And they are nearly always there in their jeeps along the road.

Also there are just two points i would like to make,
1) With 4 laning of the highway i think the incidents should reduce drastically.

2) It is a matter of timeline cause i have information over last 3 years only but you have it for a longer time.

It is a very futile point to argue about as this a warning thread. You recommend caution or no driving during foggy winter nights and my recommendation is that there is no problem.
Old 14th December 2007, 17:43   #20
BHPian

State highway between Piduguraalla and Addanki has been really bad in recent past. Speed bumps and craters. Imagine a crater appearing within 20 meters while cruising at speeds of 100 KMPH.
Old 14th December 2007, 17:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

On the Mumbai Agra Highway(NH3 ?), this section in MP called Sendhwa is dacoit prone zone & police forms Convoys at nights for safety. So beware & try not to travel at night from this route.

Great Thread Hvkumar
Old 14th December 2007, 18:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
On the Mumbai Agra Highway(NH3 ?), this section in MP called Sendhwa is dacoit prone zone & police forms Convoys at nights for safety. So beware & try not to travel at night from this route.
True. About 3-4 years back, I was travelling from Indore to Pune with my family and the bus that had gone first was looted. So the remaining trucks and buses spent the whole night in the ghats and travelled only after daylight. Police also had come and camped in the night. It was scary. That was the last time I travelled by road on that route.
Old 15th December 2007, 01:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_raiser View Post
Also there are just two points i would like to make,
1) With 4 laning of the highway i think the incidents should reduce drastically.
Hopefully yes, but with the higher speeds & utter lack of driver training in these areas, number of fatal/serious accidents is shooting up many fold. It'll only become worse from here.

Quote:
2) It is a matter of timeline cause i have information over last 3 years only but you have it for a longer time.
My timeline for this is over 18 years & counting.

Quote:
It is a very futile point to argue about as this a warning thread. You recommend caution or no driving during foggy winter nights and my recommendation is that there is no problem.
Fair enough, to each his own.
Old 19th December 2007, 18:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

After reading several reports of road travellers being waylaid in the night, I switched over to day driving, though there were other reasons too.

But going through these posts here it seems, daytime too is unsafe. Any suggestions?
Old 19th December 2007, 20:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Please post better details.

Dear all,

"Road between X and Y is unsafe" is not very informative.

"The stretch between X and Y on State/National Highway No. N (or A-B road) is unsafe due to ...." is more useful.

This is important because a person seeking to go from C to D and intending to use the AB Road (or SH/NH No. N) may not have the idea that (s)he is going to pass the X to Y section.

Kindly post info in such a format with required details so that others
Old 21st June 2008, 13:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Please follow this thread, about dacoity threat in Pandharpur-Sangli road in Maharashtra:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...tml#post874764
Old 21st June 2008, 13:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

Please read Message #2 in the following thread of how tirthankarbasu escaped a mad man trying to stone his car on Hyderabad-Solapur NH9 near Zahirabad:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...or-thrill.html
Old 22nd June 2008, 11:32   #28
BHPian

All the posts have one thing in common:

AVOID NIGHT DRIVING, IF POSSIBLE!!
Old 22nd June 2008, 15:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitindangoria View Post
All the posts have one thing in common:

AVOID NIGHT DRIVING, IF POSSIBLE!!
To reinforce what Nitin said, I was witth HellStar at yesterday's Team-BHP party and he mentioned a scary story, this one from Kerala:

Driving on NH47, between Nagercoil and Trivandrum (Kanyakumari route), cars are stoned at night!

Personally, I have not had any one throw stones on this stretch, but I have been stopped by guys claiming to be police men (without proper uniforms), wanting to check the car's boot and so on. These guys hail you to stop in the middle of the road and if you are not alert, you may run them over.
Old 22nd June 2008, 20:21   #30
BANNED

These incidents are scary ! They look similar to the dreaded 'thugs' system abolished by Bristish centuries ago !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks