Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2007, 15:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rain in TN, route to chennai from bangalore

Friends, Just had last minute plan for Chennai. Planing to leave tomorrow morning and take the hosur -> krishnagiri ->... route.
Since I heard its heavily raining in Tamilnadu, would like to know if this route is fine and safe to take. Else i may postpone my trip.
Thanks,
MJ
Old 19th December 2007, 16:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

It is a 4 lane highway. It is in perfect condition. It has been raining the whole day today in Bangalore also.
Old 19th December 2007, 16:05   #3
BHPian

Yep, it is raining heavily in chennai as of today. in case you are travelling, you can take the hosur-krishnagiri-vellore route. this is the new 4lane toll road, hence you need not worry about the road conditions, no sudden surprises will be there on the road

But since it is raining heavily, just see if you are used to drive thru havy rains and if you are travelling with family/kids, think again and decide.
Old 19th December 2007, 16:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Its raining.But, shouldn't be much of a hassle.
Old 19th December 2007, 16:11   #5
BHPian

This route shouldn't be an issue because of the rains.

Be cautious.

Maintain a decent speed, as visibility is a major factor on this road in the mornings (with or witout the rains). You need to be extra-careful driving in the rains.
Old 19th December 2007, 16:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

I've driven on the same chn-blr GQ in heavy rain and it can get very aqua-planey at the dips where water stagnates.
So, watch the speed and read the tarmac well.
Old 19th December 2007, 16:46   #7

Raining

Hi,

The four lane roads are fine and in condition but if there's going to be nonstop rain then entering into the city would be a problem.For sure all the roads in chennai will float in water if the rain does not stop for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Friends, Just had last minute plan for Chennai. Planing to leave tomorrow morning and take the hosur -> krishnagiri ->... route.
Since I heard its heavily raining in Tamilnadu, would like to know if this route is fine and safe to take. Else i may postpone my trip.
Thanks,
MJ
Old 19th December 2007, 17:03   #8
Team-BHP Support

Today it was very dull and cloudy here, no sun was seen whole day. I was told it was the cyclone effect from bay of bengal. To think I am on the other coast...
Old 19th December 2007, 19:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the quick response. But I just got a call from my Home in chennai. Seems there are still heavy rain and lots of water. So, not travelling tomorrow.
May be Vicra is right.
Old 20th December 2007, 00:46   #10
BANNED

the GQ route is absolutely fine. please stick to the left lane during and just after rain. As nitrous pointed out, there is a lot of water logging near the median. This is prominent in the Ambur - Ranipet - Sriperumbudur stretch.
Old 20th December 2007, 00:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. But I just got a call from my Home in chennai. Seems there are still heavy rain and lots of water. So, not travelling tomorrow.
May be Vicra is right.

Good news, the rain has just stopped the last 1 hour or so. maybe you can still make that trip this weekend.
Old 20th December 2007, 00:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Probably a wise decision.
Old 24th October 2008, 19:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Guys, same question again
Hows chennai after this rain. See most roads on water in this Sun news.
I am curious to know especially the route from Ponamalle - Koyambedu stretch and Koyambedu to Padi stretch. Any updates?
Planning for tomorrow morning from Bangalore. Taking the GQ.
Thanks
Old 24th October 2008, 20:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, same question again
Hows chennai after this rain. See most roads on water in this Sun news.
I am curious to know especially the route from Ponamalle - Koyambedu stretch and Koyambedu to Padi stretch. Any updates?
Planning for tomorrow morning from Bangalore. Taking the GQ.
Thanks
Poonamalee to koyambedu will not be flooded and is always manageable. Water drains off into the cooum canal running along the road , so no worries after poonamalee except for the potholes after maduravoyal. Take the road i suggested to you after maduravoyal and call me incase you have any trouble.

In case you want to go to Koyambedu and go to your home, E_L should be able to confirm the state of the roads after the Golden Eagle theatre junction on the PH road.
Old 24th October 2008, 20:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

MJ: Make up your mind. If you have to go to chennai, then rain or shine, it should not matter and stop you. You have to go.

If feel there should not be any hassels driving in rain. You need to be careful and stick to your lane while driving and not to cross the speed limit which you think is feasible. It may take some more time than normal, but it should be fine. Drive Safely...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks