Team-BHP - Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Mumbai to Goa : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/33195-mumbai-goa-route-queries.html)

Hi guys,

We are planning to make a trip down down the Mumbai - Goa highway ( NH 17) in the first week of Sept.

But before that was interested in knowing the condition of the road especially after those torrential rains which lashed parts of Konkan last month.

So awaiting reports on road conditions from tbhpians who've made trips on this highway recently. Are the roads motorable to take your own car? or should be hire a private vehicle for this purpose ?

~A

Hi I took the bus to Goa last week. The roads were not so bad, though at a couple of stretches there were rough patches. Funny thing is, the worst stretches were along the outskirts of Mumbai. Once you get on the highway, the roads are pretty good.

Happy driving.

thanx guys.... for the feedback..

~A

hi all,

Pl suggest the best road, and points inbetween.
How are the roads from Mumbai to Goa?
2lane or 4 lane?

1. What to not miss in Goa.
2. Where to stay (i mean best location for best reach)
3. How long would be the travel?

any one who has been to Goa form Mumbai recently please do throw in your experience.

thanks
MS

Hey Guys,

I am taking my car to Goa on Friday morning.

After speaking to my friends, I am a little confused on which route should I take. There are two options:

1) NH4 (Via Pune)
2) NH 17 (Via Ratnagiri, Ganpatipule)

Which of the above two roads do you guys recommend? Any reasons?

Also, any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashishy (Post 1280384)
Hey Guys,
I am taking my car to Goa on Friday morning.
Which of the above two roads do you guys recommend? Any reasons?
:)

NH 4 to sankeshwar and then right to amboli and sawantwadi. Because it's a better road, safer. Read http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...hapur-goa.html
Perhaps you should have asked the question in that thread. I might be leaving on Friday itself
Nigel

go by NH4 (ie via pune) for safe and fast straight line drive. Peace of Mind and many decent Dhabas. 4 lane highway with proper dividers and lane markings.
Cons are Boring drive if u don't like straight line driving, heat and toll costs.

NH17 is narrower, full of traffic, full of corners and ghats and very difficult to keep driving fast as one doesn't get a chance to overtake tose long trucks. I mean u can do it, but ur family won't allow yo u to take the risk. This makes the drive much more tiring for u and the car too, esp if fully loaded. u need power for the ghats.
But again NH17 is more fun to drive and has awesom scenery with small local hotels with gr8 malwani food.

My suggestion is, if you r going with ur family then take NH4 o/w NH17. I do the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motionfreak (Post 1280932)

My suggestion is, if you r going with ur family then take NH4 o/w NH17. I do the same.

I'm going with my friends. And we are kinda adventure lovers. So, i think I would take the NH-17.

Can you guys suggest good petrol pumps on this highway where I can refuel?

ashish you can fill up fuel at Mahad and have breakfast there (Visava) if I remember correct, and then at Sangameshwar (pump and restaurant next to each other) so fuel and lunch there too.

Nigel

Alright.. Thanks a lot bro

back from Goa!!

the trip was good.. traveled via NH 17. takes 11-12 hours easily on this road.

P.S. This road is a pain during night i feel.

congrats...yes, the road is little difficult at night. But awesome curves, right?
post some pics

Quote:

Originally Posted by motionfreak (Post 1293502)
congrats...yes, the road is little difficult at night. But awesome curves, right?
post some pics

True! the curves were good and the tarmac was good too. no pot holes. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashishy (Post 1281638)
I'm going with my friends. And we are kinda adventure lovers. So, i think I would take the NH-17.

Can you guys suggest good petrol pumps on this highway where I can refuel?

Navi Mumbai (Vashi) to Panaji is about 550KM. one can add another 40+KM from Mumbai = total 600KM

If your vehicel has good fuel economy, you can refuel near savantwadi
i remember, i had refueled some where 20KM from Goa border when i had driven to Goa from Mumbai.

There are good fuel stations near Ratnagiri which is midway in your journey.

hey guys,
driving down with the wife to Goa on the 23rd. needed some feedback on the road conditions. the obvious options are
NH4: Mumbai-Pune-Kolhapur-Nipani-Amboli-Savantwadi-Goa
and my favorite NH17.
Not sure on the road condition of NH17 specially considering the rain over the last few weeks. NH4 is pretty straight forward till Nipani, but then again it starts deteriorating once u off the highway.
so if anyone can help me with an update i'd greatly appreciate it.
just for information, using my Mitsubishi Cedia for the same.
thanks