Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2013, 14:50   #16
BHPian

All India drive on a bolero camper.

Fellow team bhpians , I am planning an all india drive on 17th of september 2013 , doing it on a mahindra camper .

Route : calicut - goa - bombay - ahmedabad - jaipur - chandigargh - shimla - delhi - lucknow - patna - calcutta - bhubaneswar - vishakapatnam - vijayawada - madras - rameshwaram - kanyakumari - cochin - calicut .

Total distance - 8700 k.m.

I've never done a long drive as this before and I would really appreciate suggestions from bhpians regarding all aspects of it - risk factors, do's and don'ts, essentials to carry, accomodation etc. I was wondering if any of you could suggest any clean, decent, budget hotels situated on highways in these stop overs mentioned above. Would you all recommed Ginger Hotels? Are there any rules and regulations that I must know of, in any of these states, like I heard that its a must to stick yellow stickers on the side of headlamps in Gujarat, is that true?
I'm really looking forward to this trip and would really appreciate all of your valuable suggestions and help on this.
Thank you.
Old 9th August 2013, 15:04   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All India drive on a bolero camper.

Do you have some company? Will pour in ideas once I compile them for you.
Old 9th August 2013, 15:36   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Do you have some company? Will pour in ideas once I compile them for you.
One of my friend is joining me for this trip, hes from calicut.
Old 9th August 2013, 15:40   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigNation View Post
Route : calicut - goa - bombay - ahmedabad - jaipur - chandigargh - shimla - delhi - lucknow - patna - calcutta - bhubaneswar - vishakapatnam - vijayawada - madras - rameshwaram - kanyakumari - cochin - calicut .
If you don't have much interest in Lucknow & Patna, Delhi to Kolkata via Varanasi would be a better option through NH-2.
Old 9th August 2013, 16:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
If you don't have much interest in Lucknow & Patna, Delhi to Kolkata via Varanasi would be a better option through NH-2.
Thank you so much saket77, your route makes much better sense.

Last edited by desigNation : 9th August 2013 at 16:02.
Old 9th August 2013, 16:50   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I'm really looking forward to this trip and would really appreciate all of your valuable suggestions and help on this.
Thank you.
Hi desigNation, the below link should answer most of your questions. This is a detailed T.Log about the beautiful trip our friend did. He will be the right person to answer all your questions including the route conditions.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...gonr-f10d.html
Old 9th August 2013, 16:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Questions 1st.

What is the purpose of your drive?? What specific goals are you looking at other than just enjoying the drive??

Are you looking to visit any places along the way?? Or just drive around the country?? How many days are you looking as your maximum target??

Also is the Bolero Camper the only vehicle choice?? As I doubt you will even be able to manage 500km/day in a vehicle like that, unless you have extensive experience as a truck driver.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2013, 00:57   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Questions 1st.

What is the purpose of your drive?? What specific goals are you looking at other than just enjoying the drive??

Are you looking to visit any places along the way?? Or just drive around the country?? How many days are you looking as your maximum target??

Also is the Bolero Camper the only vehicle choice?? As I doubt you will even be able to manage 500km/day in a vehicle like that, unless you have extensive experience as a truck driver.
No such specific goals , i always wanted to do an all india trip by road. so,hopefully would be able to complete it without any issues.and of course want to enjoy the drive .

Visiting and sight seeing is not the main priority in this trip, the drive is going to be given more importance here.

Bolero camper is the only choice because thats the only diesel vehicle i have .[other two are a corolla and an alto,which both are petrol vehicles] My bolero is fitted with an A/C and a power steering , which i assume would make my trip comfortable, my drive , is only on national high ways which again i assume are fantastic roads.i know bolero cant be compared with new gen veicles but i dont have a another vehicle. Hopefully, i am thinking of completing the drive in one month.
Old 10th August 2013, 07:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No such specific goals
Hopefully, i am thinking of completing the drive in one month.
Considering your comparatively long time period, and that you have no specific goals and if you are looking for a bit of a challenge. Take a look at the following route. Its about 9200kms, but you could do it at a leisurely pace in about 15-20days.

http://goo.gl/wrNxkH
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2013, 14:43   #25
BHPian

hello all, any information on budget hotels on mentioned stop overs?please do let me know.
Old 10th August 2013, 17:02   #26
BHPian

I will suggest you to include leh in your trip. Without going to kashmir, you are missing driver's paradise.
Old 11th August 2013, 09:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercool View Post
I will suggest you to include leh in your trip. Without going to kashmir, you are missing driver's paradise.
I really wanted to include leh in this trip but i heard ,that would really take another extra 10 to 13 days , which i wont be able to , because the maximum i can take a break is not more than a month . will do it one day, hopefully , but not with this trip.
Old 11th August 2013, 11:03   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I really wanted to include leh in this trip but i heard ,that would really take another extra 10 to 13 days , which i wont be able to , because the maximum i can take a break is not more than a month . will do it one day, hopefully , but not with this trip.
Hey

I ve driven to Srinagar twice in the past one year and can vouch that if the cars comfy and you've got good music and company you can do Chandigarh Srinagar in about 12 - 14 hours . Even if you keep a day and another day for leh a round trip could easily be done in 5 days . If you really want to do it you should .
Hope you have a safe drive . Just a little bit of advice . Whenever you feel tired just lock your doors keep your car on and take a nap. Don't push yourself . Or give it to the next person just see that they follow the same .
Best wishes
Imran
Imran Ahmad Ali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 15:33   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran Ahmad Ali View Post
Hey

I ve driven to Srinagar twice in the past one year and can vouch that if the cars comfy and you've got good music and company you can do Chandigarh Srinagar in about 12 - 14 hours . Even if you keep a day and another day for leh a round trip could easily be done in 5 days . If you really want to do it you should .
Hope you have a safe drive . Just a little bit of advice . Whenever you feel tired just lock your doors keep your car on and take a nap. Don't push yourself . Or give it to the next person just see that they follow the same .
Best wishes
Imran
Do you know any budget hotels on the high way near chandigarh?
Old 13th August 2013, 17:22   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Do you know any budget hotels on the high way near chandigarh?
Well I can surely check up . If you give me an approximate idea of what budget we're looking at ? And on which road ? What would be your route ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks