Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2023, 00:57   #136
BHPian

Re: Driving across Europe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
So any European country except UK, wont give you car without IDP. So there is no ban on Indians driving in Europe, as long as you have IDP. And IDP being made online process should help next time..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronford View Post
The stupid part on Rentalcars is that ...No word about IDP by Europecar. As mentioned by someone above, I think it was the location which was the reason for not giving me the car. Counters at airport or train stations give it away without IDP.
Quote:
But get an IDP to be safer. At least in Rome Airport Hertz counter he said IDP is compulsory for Indian License. Before going I checked in Hertz India call center and they said the same.
Well, to sum it all up, the rental car companies and representatives follow their company process to rent out a car which may or may not include checking for IDP. I got an IDP made online and collected it from Shimla RTO. However, when I travelled to Italy I somehow missed to carry it with me. I go to the Milan station and ask two different rental companies and they answer differently w.r.t. giving car without IDP. I then head out and ask a few Italian cops, who were near a curbside. They confirmed that an IDP, is indeed required and one can only drive for one year post landing in EU. Hence, I plan the Italy leg using trainItalia pass.
Thereafter, I used the IDP to drive to various cities/locations in France, Switzerland and Germany using short lease cars. If someone might be interested to understand options and details, please let me know so that I can share more information in future replies.

Last edited by aah78 : 12th April 2023 at 01:30. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 6th May 2023, 13:44   #137
BHPian

Hi All, Need your advice on car rentals in Europe.

We are a group of 6 adults and 1 child and planning to drive around Norway in June 2023 by renting a car from Oslo Airport for 4 days. I will be applying for an International Driving Permit once I get the Visa. Separately, 2 adults and 1 child will be driving around Switzerland by renting a car from Zurich Airport for 3 days.

In this background, kindly advise:

1. Which car rental company is recommended in terms of reliability and costs?

2. For Norway, is it advisable to rent a 7 seater SUV or two 4/5 seater considering the options are very limited for 7 seater and cost is significantly higher as compared to 4/5 seaters. Any other suggestion in this regard?

3. For Switzerland, can we consider taking a convertible just for the experience or a small car like Volkswagen Polo is better?

4. Is it better to book it in advance online or one can walk up to their airport counters and get a car?

5. Any recommendations on must have ad-ons like - GPS navigation, insurance coverage, etc.

6. I have always owned manual cars (and occasionally driven automatic cars for test drives/ short duration) and never driven outside India, so is it advisable to take a manual car considering it may anyway take some time to get used to left hand drive cars.
Old 6th May 2023, 18:10   #138
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Ive been driving in various countries in EU as well as the UK, US, Australia etc for quite a number of years now when on holiday and sometimes when on work.

I usually take an IDP before travel. However, on all these multiple occasions where I have always shown my IDP, I have just been waved away - always so far - my Indian DL written in English, along with my passport and credit card have been adjudged as sufficient.

I usually use Sixt and Avis in Europe, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium and all. Earlier I have used Europcar and Budget also. In the US it is usually Hertz or Alamo or National. In Australia Budget and Europcar. In the UK its usually Budget or Avis or Europcar. In Scotland and Ireland also Budget and Europcar work well.

All sorts of lovely cars are available and Ive been quite lucky to sample many of them, Mercs, Jeep Cherokees, Wranglers, Beemers, Mustangs, Dodge Chargers, Coopers, Fiat 500’s, Alfa Romeos, VW Golfs, Suzuki Vitara, Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia, Tesla, Fiat 124 Spider etc etc.

I have also used a number of smaller private local car rental companies at times especially when I was coming back after the road trip to the town I started at. This is in the UK and Australia/ Tasmania and Mauritius and all. These work out surprisingly good and inexpensive and have some great cars too.

All in all once you get used to the whole thing it becomes very ‘familiar territory’. One thing I always do is to take out Peace of Mind Insurance to cover all the potential headaches.

The other thing worth trying out is to rent an old classic for a shorter ‘experience’ rental. A different world entirely awaits you!

Sometimes, Im thinking, its probably best to have a normal regular commuter car or Jeepy thing here in India and forget about all the exotics.

And instead, invest in some good holiday travel once in a while and budget for such an experience of a nice car rental for an enjoyable road trip, on superb roads, amidst wonderful scenery, polite behaviour, following all road rules, just bowling along in a world without honking and with far less traffic.

For me it always brings to mind the wonderful world of films;

The Italian Job (original) and Rossano Brazzi (Beckerman) thrashing that Lambo Miura along the Saint Bernard Pass to the accompaniment of that lovely lovely song of Matt Monro’s.

I play this song all the time when on a road trip. Irrespective.

The Day of the Jackal and that wonderful Alfa Giulietta.

I retraced Le Chacal - Edward Fox’s drive along the Route Napoleon till the Bastide du TourTour some years ago. Couldn’t get an Alfa or a Fiat convertible but got a Cooper convertible instead.

Paris Can Wait and that lovely Peugeot and the lovely Diane Lane - and that leisurely road trip up through the gastronomic heart of France Cannes, Avignon, Arles and all up to Lyon - Le Voyage Gastronomique!

Two for the Road and that heavenly old MG TC and the ever lovely Audrey Hepburn. Henry Mancini’s Music.

Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan on The Trip to Italy.
With their lovely British Racing Green Mini Cooper S Convertible (R57)

Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara

Etc.

I think I must be just a dreamer in a world of make believe. A fantasist at heart. But I am happy this way.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 6th May 2023 at 18:37.
Old 15th May 2023, 12:35   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpanda View Post

Look no further than AutoEurope, it has most rental companies listed, and mostly you will get cars at least 50% less than rental companies, also look for Zero liability insurance including glass tyre protection,
example : Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) zero excess with Glass tyre and underbody & Theft Protection (TP) zero excess.

Don't go for Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) refundable excess, its complicated to get refund, with police compliant etc to get back refund from Autoeurope. If you dont get Zero Excess policy from Automeurope better to go for directly from Rental, we never know when can accident happen and huge sum might go for pay-out.

3. For Switzerland, can we consider taking a convertible just for the experience or a small car like Volkswagen Polo is better?

Its better to have small cars in europe, small roads are common, depends on where you drive, keep into highways or drive in cities with small road. Also parking of bigger cars not so easy in europe.

4. Is it better to book it in advance online or one can walk up to their airport counters and get a car?

its always better to book online, u might end up paying few times more if you walk and book.

5. Any recommendations on must have ad-ons like - GPS navigation, insurance coverage, etc.

Get your mobile with data, so Google maps is perfect. Most new cars will have andriod auto/carplay else get a mobile holder to AC panel, many countries dont allow mobile to stick to windshield.

As mentioned above, go for Zero excess liability even though it might be costlier, Its pretty cheap if offered in Autoeurope, rental companies will be costlier.

6. I have always owned manual cars (and occasionally driven automatic cars for test drives/ short duration) and never driven outside India, so is it advisable to take a manual car considering it may anyway take some time to get used to left hand drive cars.

I always prefer Automatic in Europe though costlier unlike US, since you get that little bit extra time to read road signs or no-entry signs or bus-lane, speed restrictions, speed camera notification etc and also to see and follow google map. Remeber ever single violation will make you poorer by 100 to 200 euros, so study different signs and traffic rules of country before driving.

Last edited by shamanth : 15th May 2023 at 12:38.
Old 22nd July 2023, 14:32   #140
BHPian

Quote:
I always prefer Automatic in Europe though costlier unlike US, since you get that little bit extra time to read road signs or no-entry signs or bus-lane, speed restrictions, speed camera notification etc and also to see and follow google map. Remeber ever single violation will make you poorer by 100 to 200 euros, so study different signs and traffic rules of country before driving. [/b]
Thank you, shamanth for your valuable suggestions. Very helpful. Sorry for replying late as I was travelling most of June.

Sharing my experience of renting an electric AT car and driving for the first time in Norway

So finally we did rent a car from the Oslo Airport by physically visiting the various outlets of car rental companies, comparing prices and managed to get a very good deal. We went ahead with Hertz and hired a Maxus Euniq 5 (Electric AT). Was asked for copy of Passport, International Driving License and pre-authorisation of NOK 6000 on my credit card. Took comprehensive insurance package for peace of mind and spent a total of NOK 6000 which is approximately INR 48,000 inclusive of all car charging costs, parking, toll, etc. Not a single violation/ fine and did not honk even once, which was very satisfying.

We were 5 of us and the 7 seater van was extremely comfortable with loads of leg space and boot space. The vehicle's range was about 300 - 330 Kms with one full charge and with ample charging stations around with varying capacities, it used to take anywhere between 45 mins to 2 hrs. The number of electric vehicles we saw (and particularly Teslas) was insane. We drove it for 5 days and did about 1100 Kms in total starting from Oslo through Haugastol, Voringsfossen, Geilo, Edjford, Dale and Bergen and return to Oslo.

I was driving an electric vehicle (other than some test drives which I had taken for friends) and an AT (I am a MT guy) for so long for the first time. The road discipline in terms of lane driving, patience shown by drivers and right of way practiced can only be dreamt of in India.

It was my first time driving experience in a foreign country and no better place to start than Norway, which made it a memorable experience. The beautiful roads, majestic mountains, natural waterfalls, crystal clear water and picturesque landscape were as beautiful as it gets with the nice weather (bright and sunny on most days) and apt temperatures (ranging from 6 degree celsius to 20 degree celsius) complimenting to it. We came across numerous caravans from various European countries driving with their families who were enjoying themselves with open air barbeques, fishing, videography with drones, etc. At some places there were dedicated parking spaces for caravans and some had parked at random isolated places beside beautiful waterfalls and lakes. We crossed innumerable tunnels across with the longest being around 11.8 Kms. The speed limits were generally around 80 Kmph on most of the stretches with gradual reduction around the city/ town area to about 20/30 Kmph and highest being 110 Kmph.

Would love to visit again soon! Sharing a few pictures from the trip and hope you enjoy them.

Happy to answer any specific queries.
Attached Thumbnails
Driving across Europe!-24.jpg  

Driving across Europe!-16.jpg  

Driving across Europe!-10.jpg  

Driving across Europe!-11.jpg  

Driving across Europe!-12.jpg  

Driving across Europe!-13.jpg  

Driving across Europe!-14.jpg  

Driving across Europe!-15.jpg  

Driving across Europe!-18.jpg  

Driving across Europe!-19.jpg