Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2015, 13:43   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car Rentals in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
My understanding is that Austria and Italy both now require IDP. Though you will not be asked for it when renting the vehicle and generally not stopped on the road needlessly. Even if you are stopped, some traffic cops will not insist on IDP, while others can get petty. If you are able to, then it's a good idea to get it. Take a look at this link:

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-ti...r-requirements
Aah, Austria now requires IDP for non EU licenses. I guess, its best to get an IDP from local RTO now!
Old 17th June 2015, 14:16   #92
BHPian

Re: Driving across Europe!

Guys, any idea about IDP requirements in France and Spain? I've rented a car and driven in Germany with my Indian licence but not sure about France and Spain. Planning a holiday in August so I have time to get an IDP if required.
Old 17th June 2015, 15:18   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Guys, any idea about IDP requirements in France and Spain? I've rented a car and driven in Germany with my Indian licence but not sure about France and Spain. Planning a holiday in August so I have time to get an IDP if required.
Technically, France does not require an IDP, as long as the Indian DL is accompanied by an official translation to French. In practice, I don't think they care unless you get stuck with the most pedantic cops or get involved in an accident or police matter.

Spain technically requires IDP. If you do get an IDP, that will serve your purpose in both countries.
reverse_gear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 14:38   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Technically, France does not require an IDP, as long as the Indian DL is accompanied by an official translation to French. In practice, I don't think they care unless you get stuck with the most pedantic cops or get involved in an accident or police matter.

Spain technically requires IDP. If you do get an IDP, that will serve your purpose in both countries.
Thanks, I guess I'll get the IDP then, should come in useful for both countries.
Old 30th June 2015, 14:38   #95
Senior - BHPian

If I'm getting a better car rental deal for 'Intermediate - Manual' and 'Full Size - Manual' compared to 'Compact - Manual' then is it advisable to book any of the above i.e. Intermediate or Full Size?

I understand that FE might take a hit when booking a bigger car but I was thinking more from a perspective that what if I go to the counter and instead of getting an Intermediate or Full Size car I ask them to downgrade me to the best available compact, wouldn't I have a better chance at landing a good discount or deal?
Old 30th June 2015, 14:42   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
If I'm getting a better car rental deal for 'Intermediate - Manual' and 'Full Size - Manual' compared to 'Compact - Manual' then is it advisable to book any of the above i.e. Intermediate or Full Size?

I understand that FE might take a hit when booking a bigger car but I was thinking more from a perspective that what if I go to the counter and instead of getting an Intermediate or Full Size car I ask them to downgrade me to the best available compact, wouldn't I have a better chance at landing a good discount or deal?
Book full size. In mid size luggage carrying capacity is less. I got a Fiat something for group of 4 Adults , 2 kids and 1 infant.

For short trip dont worry about FE.
Old 30th June 2015, 14:45   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
Book full size. In mid size luggage carrying capacity is less. I got a Fiat something for group of 4 Adults , 2 kids and 1 infant.

For short trip dont worry about FE.
The trip isn't really short, I'm guessing I'll do some 2500-3000 kms. Also, we're just two adults so can utilize the backseat for luggage besides the trunk.

I'm just skeptic of maneuvering a big car (I'll be first timer to LHD cars), especially if they have actually run out of compacts when I reach the counter.
Old 30th June 2015, 14:48   #98
BHPian

For 2 adults you dont need full size. Looks like mini van or sedan is way to go for you .

In 3k kms difference in fuel cost is not going to be very high. Dont have that criteria for selection.
Old 30th June 2015, 15:51   #99
BHPian

Quote:

Personally, I would prefer a more peppy intermediate/ compact (say a Merc A class or Bimmer or even a Golf) rather than a bigger sedan/ full size (say a Passat or Mondeo). Your luggage should fit in the boot and FE is generally quite good. Also, more fun to drive when only 2 of you, easy to park and (dare I say) makes you feel younger!
Old 14th July 2015, 17:02   #100
Senior - BHPian

Booked a CPMR through Sixt and sample models listed were BMW 1er, Merc A-class and VW Golf. Final Gross Price was 283 Euros (includes local tax). I know I didn't get a very cheap deal, not to mention that SCDW might make this rental cost me around 30k INR! I hope I didn't get ripped off or anything?

Two questions:

1) Sixt didn't charge anything for the booking. As per the email and confirmation everything looks confirmed and I only have to pay the amount at the counter while economycarrentals.com would've blocked some amount. Does all this sound normal?

2) What's the likelihood that I would actually get to drive either of the three listed as samples? Or is there a possiblity that I might land up with a less popular CPMR model?

EDIT: The only option I selected while booking the car was Navigation system. As suggested by Tanveer I'm going to try to land up an upgrade (if possible) by opting for their SCDW at the counter and of course, by showing my 32 not so white teeth!

Last edited by fine69 : 14th July 2015 at 17:04.
Old 14th July 2015, 17:24   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Booked a CPMR through Sixt and sample models listed were BMW 1er, Merc A-class and VW Golf. Final Gross Price was 283 Euros (includes local tax). I know I didn't get a very cheap deal, not to mention that SCDW might make this rental cost me around 30k INR! I hope I didn't get ripped off or anything?

Two questions:

1) Sixt didn't charge anything for the booking. As per the email and confirmation everything looks confirmed and I only have to pay the amount at the counter while economycarrentals.com would've blocked some amount. Does all this sound normal?

2) What's the likelihood that I would actually get to drive either of the three listed as samples? Or is there a possiblity that I might land up with a less popular CPMR model?

EDIT: The only option I selected while booking the car was Navigation system. As suggested by Tanveer I'm going to try to land up an upgrade (if possible) by opting for their SCDW at the counter and of course, by showing my 32 not so white teeth!
SIXT is a good renter. Usually they give you nice cars. If you have booked in the morning, reach at the opening time. Be nice and polite, and you will get a very nice car!
Old 26th August 2015, 14:55   #102
Senior - BHPian

All along I thought there was a significant difference in petrol and diesel price in Switzerland but I just searched for it and I'm a little surprised that the difference is absolutely insignificant.

http://www.fuel-prices-europe.info/index.php?sort=2

Is there anything that I'm missing here coz most of the people have always recommended to go for diesel rentals if possible due to the price difference.
Old 26th August 2015, 17:14   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Is there anything that I'm missing here coz most of the people have always recommended to go for diesel rentals if possible due to the price difference.

Not sure who told you this, but there is no price difference between diesel and petrol. This is across Europe, not just Switzerland. In fact, in many countries, diesel is marginally pricier.

However, on average, diesel cars of similar segment will give better fuel economy.
Old 26th August 2015, 18:12   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure who told you this, but there is no price difference between diesel and petrol. This is across Europe, not just Switzerland. In fact, in many countries, diesel is marginally pricier.
I think I read it on Tanveer's log that he wanted a diesel and got in touch with someone in Sixt over a forum.

My bad because I assumed he wanted a diesel as it would be cheaper. Never thought that folks might want a diesel for getting better fuel efficiency only.
Old 26th August 2015, 18:16   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Driving across Europe!

Quote:

However, on average, diesel cars of similar segment will give better fuel economy.

Not quite true, diesel is considerable cheaper then petrol in the Netherlands and so is for instance LPG. However, the road tax on diesel and LPG cars is considerable higher then on petrol cars. But as stated, diesel engines tend to be more fuel efficient then petrol engines. The net effect is that it becomes only more attractive, from a financial point of view, to drive a diesel or an LPG powered car with mileages above 30.000 km a year.

What is true, is that you should have no problem anywhere in Europe getting either diesel or petrol at just about any petrol station anywhere in Europe. LPG is much more of a problem and is slowly loosing traction even in the Netherlands where it was very popular some years ago, mainly due to the fact that it was even cheaper then diesel.

Here is a table showing the prices of diesel and petrol for all European countries and you will see that there is no universal absolute price, and many variations per country petrol versus diesel.

http://autotraveler.ru/en/spravka/fuel-price-in-europe.html#.Vd21Y8SXerU

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 26th August 2015 at 18:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks