Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2008, 16:46   #1
BHPian

Travel to Chennai - given the Hogenakkal issue)

Hi All,

I have to visit Chennai this long weekend and I am wondering whats the situation along line of actual control ;-) between KA and TN. Is driving via hosur - Krishnagiri recommended ? One plan B option is to travel to Chittor on NH-4, catch the Nellore highway and enter TN from AP (if on TN side there are protests in Vellore district, so that even NH-4 becomes risky) . Are there any other shorter routes possible ?

Also TN folks, whats the situation in Vellore and Chennai ? Any violent protests like the one we have had here in Bangalore ? My Baleno is KA registered. Any other suggestions are welcome as well

PS: I have to drive, other options not possible.

Thanks much in advance
Old 2nd April 2008, 17:52   #2
BHPian

I am also in same dilemma .

I am travelling to Ooty this weekend on 5th April with family. I have already booked hotel and my dad is somewhat worried to proceed with this trip. Just don't know what to do.
Old 2nd April 2008, 18:40   #3
BHPian

Having two number plates...one with TN and the other with KA might help.
I don't recommend this trip though..given the kind of levels these trouble makers can go.

-- Torqy
Old 2nd April 2008, 18:51   #4
BHPian

There aren't major problems in Chennai and Vellore AFAIK. Worst case if you are stopped in the middle talk in Tamil (assuming you know the language) when in TN and convince you are from TN which should ease out some pressure.
Old 2nd April 2008, 20:11   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the info Misson_Safari, my mother tongue is tamil. No issues talking to anyone in that language, but thats assuming I am allowed to talk.

Ok any recommendations on alternate routes or any other suggestion avoids arsonists ?
Old 2nd April 2008, 20:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

My feeling is there won't be any major problems. Hence you guys can go along with your trip as usual. It is the media hype that is being created for this issue.
Old 2nd April 2008, 20:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

I dont think the situation is going to worsen, although there is some sense of worriness in the air.

KRV is also holding peaceful and candle light demonstrations to project its image as a peaceful organization (elections on the head ??). Nothing much in tamil nadu though.

I have observed more problems in KA than in TN, based on similar earlier incidents.

But you have to take precautions,

- Stick to the major highways only.
- Dont stop at smaller joints for food/ tea/ coffee wherein the locals venture.

I too have plans for this weekend into TN but I am keeping my fingers crossed that it should'nt worsen than this.
Old 2nd April 2008, 20:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

seems like KA buses plying from TN are being smeared with tar and the likes. (hearsay from a friend i called)

when will these people learn - politicians are just there to play with the common man!!!
Old 2nd April 2008, 20:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

I am also planning for this weekend. My problem is mine is TN registered :( So, if I could reach hosur safe, I will make it easily. I am not sure if it is Hogenekkal effect, but I see cops getting all TN regsitered in Old madras road. Or may be coincidence or routine work...
Sorry guy, but i cant translate this...
"Arandavanukku irundadhelam payee" effecto?
Old 2nd April 2008, 20:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to visit Nagarhole next week i am in same delimma, when I checked few guys told me situation won't get worsen and people will cool down soon.

So I feel there won't be any issue. Go head with the trip.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 2nd April 2008 at 20:39.
Old 2nd April 2008, 22:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Sorry guy, but i cant translate this...
"Arandavanukku irundadhelam payee" effecto?
Just couldn't help attempting to translate this.. Here it goes
"He, who is already frightened, sees everything black and dark as a ghost"

PS: Shouldn't it be pei .. anyway payee gives a totally different meaning
Old 2nd April 2008, 23:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu
I have observed more problems in KA than in TN, based on similar earlier incidents.
CORRECT!
KA vehicles are never harassed around here. 99%,that is.
Old 3rd April 2008, 08:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
CORRECT!
KA vehicles are never harassed around here. 99%,that is.
In all previous cases yes. But now it seems not the case. After hearing the news about Sangeetha hotel attack, KSRTC bus attack, black-out kannada channel threat etc, this time it seems like they are ready too.
Ofcourse, this is based on my personal view after reading the daily news.
One thing is sure, Someone somewhere say something, and the people voted those someone is who are going to affected for anything....

And the rediff is other guy getting the warm from keeping this fire alive... If you happen to see the comments related to this issue in the site, man you will doubt that do we really have proffessinals in here... Its going like a fight between kanada language & tamil language, kanada people & tamil people etc... God save us.

So, in the end we will be the sufferers. So, think accordingly and act or plan the trips.
Old 3rd April 2008, 09:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

The tension seemed to have eased out, no blackout of Tamil channels in KA and Kannada In TN as per the cable TV association and various other parties involved.

Today I also saw private interstate TN buses on Hosur road which were plying normally(which I didnt see yesterday), infact I saw one with the route through hogenakkal

Hopefully its coming to rest and for peaceful protests only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
In all previous cases yes. But now it seems not the case. After hearing the news about Sangeetha hotel attack, KSRTC bus attack, black-out kannada channel threat etc, this time it seems like they are ready too.
Ofcourse, this is based on my personal view after reading the daily news.
One thing is sure, Someone somewhere say something, and the people voted those someone is who are going to affected for anything....
Old 3rd April 2008, 09:53   #15
BANNED

I'd recommend the Old Madras Road to be on the safer side.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks