Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2010, 10:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

Well, I'd a whole lot typed initially that included the time to be spent on Tiruppur & Erode. But, what I'd in mind was, how much time can I spend at both the places? So let me put it this way
04:00 Am - Chennai
11:00 Am - Erode
13:30 - Start towards Thiruppur, after the work & lunch
15:00 - Tiruppur
16:00 - Start towards Chennai
Say probably by 01:00 Am or 01:00 Am+ we reach Chennai?

PS - When I thought about the possibility of using a public/private bus, I'm sure I cannot return on the same day which means, spend on accomodation. So Bus fare + Accomodation = Fuel + Toll + 1K + Convenience + Time save + Driving pleasure. What's your thought on this?

Last edited by aargee : 12th May 2010 at 10:44.
Old 12th May 2010, 10:54   #32
Senior - BHPian

If you are going to start around 4 PM then you could reach Chennai around 11:00 / 11:30 comfortably, from Avinashi its 4 lane all the way, if your friend could also drive then I think you should drive down, even otherwise you could still drive it should be 900 kms up and down.
Old 12th May 2010, 11:09   #33
Team-BHP Support

The key word is : biking
Be careful. I not a major fan of biking on the highways.
Its not that safe. Plus you are adding night driving.
Old 12th May 2010, 11:19   #34
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
When I thought about the possibility of using a public/private bus, I'm sure I cannot return on the same day which means, spend on accomodation. So Bus fare + Accomodation = Fuel + Toll + 1K + Convenience + Time save + Driving pleasure. What's your thought on this?
Chennai-Tirupur-Chennai measures about 800 km. Two months back, I did Pune-Bangalore of 875 km in 15 hours including food+fuel breaks. But, please ensure that you take adequate rest, vehicle is in good condition and drive carefully. One can easily do 1000 km/day. I meant this venture by a good car, but not a motorcycle.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 12th May 2010 at 11:24.

Old 12th May 2010, 11:23   #35
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Srikanth. From what you say, I think, the return way should be different I guess. The route I assume you're saying...
Chennai - Krishnagiri - Salem - Erode - Thiruppur - Avinashi - Perundurai - Bhavani - Thoppur - Krishnagiri - Chennai
Or is it the same way back? - Chennai - Krishnagiri - Salem - Erode - Thiruppur - Erode - Salem - Krishnagiri - Chennai

@Ampere, @Ravi - accepted your advices on motorcycle

EDIT - On a second view, how about not touching Salem at all? I could make something like this
Chennai - Krishnagiri - Thoppur - Bhavani - Erode - Thiruppur?

And the same route when coming back - Thiruppur - Avinashi - Perundurai - Bhavani - Thoppur - Krishnagiri - Chennai?

Last edited by aargee : 12th May 2010 at 11:36.
Old 12th May 2010, 11:26   #36
BHPian

Did you check about the weather at Topslip, when I went sometime back I didnt like anything there.
Old 12th May 2010, 12:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
EDIT - On a second view, how about not touching Salem at all? I could make something like this
Chennai - Krishnagiri - Thoppur - Bhavani - Erode - Thiruppur?

And the same route when coming back - Thiruppur - Avinashi - Perundurai - Bhavani - Thoppur - Krishnagiri - Chennai?
The Bangy - Kerala regulars seem to suggest going via Salem now that its 4 laned and possibly quicker as well.

While going to Erode I suggest its better to go via Salem instead of Bhavani. May be as a change you can return via Avinashi - Bhavani - Mettur - Thoppur.
Old 12th May 2010, 12:51   #38
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @Srikanth; I'll prefer doing the Thoppur - Bhavani - Erode during the onward journey because I feel I wouldn't be tired to do this way in the morning. While coming back, I guess I would be tired & in the anxiety of reaching home soon, I prefer the 4 laned good highway via Salem.

Can someone tell me if Thoppur-Perundurai road is that bad? If I can manage somewhere in 70-80's is fine with me.
Old 12th May 2010, 15:04   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks @Srikanth; I'll prefer doing the Thoppur - Bhavani - Erode during the onward journey because I feel I wouldn't be tired to do this way in the morning. While coming back, I guess I would be tired & in the anxiety of reaching home soon, I prefer the 4 laned good highway via Salem.

Can someone tell me if Thoppur-Perundurai road is that bad? If I can manage somewhere in 70-80's is fine with me.
Aargee,

Also note that Thoppur/Bhavani is a 2L road, with vehicles coming against you.
Need to be careful on that front.

Is it for pure fun that you want to try a bike on the highway?
Old 13th May 2010, 08:35   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Also note that Thoppur/Bhavani is a 2L road, with vehicles coming against you
Need to be careful on that front.
Ok, I'll avoid this road. We're running little tight on financials & hence looking for all possibilities to cut short things. Anyway, I'll take the long, good highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Is it for pure fun that you want to try a bike on the highway?
No words to describe the fun of riding a motorcycle, but the ride should be a mix of highways & countryside; anyway, I'm expecting for a Chennai-Bangalore trip on a motorcycle sometimes during this month & I'll keep you posted on the fun.

Last edited by aargee : 13th May 2010 at 08:36.
Old 17th May 2010, 10:45   #41
Senior - BHPian

Update
- Started Chennai at 04:30 AM
- Thoppur around 09:00 with 15-20 minutes somwhere break after Vellore; refuelled & carried breakfast from AAB & had somewhere before Salem for about 30 minutes
- Salem around 10:15
- Erode around 11:45
- Work left us stumbled until 14:20 & had to ditch the Thiruppur visit; had lunch at Trichy cafe near to Erode govt bus stand & the meals was VFM for 42 Rs including curd.
- Started from Erode around 15:45
- Thoppur around 18:00; had dinner & started again by 18:40
- Krishnagiri around 19:45
- Ambur around 20:30
- Home by 23:15

Witnessed an accident near Avadi between Indica & a two wheeler; mistake was with two-wheeler who jumped in front of Indica without helmet. This guy fell down & lost concious immediately. Called up 100 & no one picked up; then called up 108 & by then the crowd carried the injured to Indica & hence I Thanked EMRI & cut the line. But then for some reason the Indica was delaying. So I moved from the place & later spotted a highway patrol. I informed this incident & the SI was very cool & said "pls contact Ponamalle division" (not my job kinda response). This was the only disappointement in the entire journey.

Last edited by aargee : 17th May 2010 at 10:47.
Old 18th August 2010, 12:34   #42
BHPian

Hi

Planning a trip to Pollachi this weekend. Starting at 6 AM from Chennai and since I will start from Arcot road will prefer NH 4. Will be doing Nh4-NH46-NH7-NH47 to reach Perundurai. Would need directions from here.
Preference: Good roads, avoid Coimbatore (longer), Tirupur (crowded, no bye-pass)
Can members advise on best posible option?
1. Perundurai - Kangeyam - Dharapuram - Pollachi. Is this longer road?
2. Perundurai-Avinashi-Palladam - Pollachi. Not sure of Avinashi Palladam road as 2 years back it was bad. Avinashi(is it now part of Tirupur city?) - Tirupur -Palladam road is very congested. Got lost in Tirupur city.
3. Perundurai-Avinashi-Karumathampatti-Somanur (recall there was a small railway underpass here suitable for cars) - Kamanikkenpalyam -Pollachi. Not sure of the road and congestion.

Please advise. Is it worthwhile to go via Thoppur, Mettur, Bhavani way now that the NH7 road and NH 47 is completed.
Old 18th August 2010, 18:59   #43
Team-BHP Support

Avinashi Palladam route is good as per one of threads on Munnar. (I think it was Xotiq who mentioned it. A freshly tarred road). For Pollachi, it is better to go all the way till Avinashi and drive to Palladam and from their straight to Pollachi.
Old 2nd September 2010, 21:34   #44
BHPian

All, planning trip to Salem next mid-week. I've seen earlier in the thread that Ulundurpet - Salem road is pathetic ( thats in May). Is it the same state. I saw elsehwere a photograph of neat 4 lane road of this sector.
Old 3rd September 2010, 10:31   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshA View Post
I saw elsehwere a photograph of neat 4 lane road of this sector.
Ulundurpet-Salem is not part of GQ/NS Corridor project and is not on NHAI priority list, so it is highly unlikely that it has been made 4 lane. Would suggest that you stick to NH4-NH46-NH7 combo to save on time and fuel (Yes! I got a mileage of 16 kmpl on my Verna going at steady 120 kmph). As always, be careful to slow down below three digit speeds in the overbridges between Pallikonda and Vaniyambadi tolls and the ghat section between Dharmapuri and Thoppur

Last edited by DWind : 3rd September 2010 at 10:32.

Most Viewed