Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2008, 11:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Delhi - Saharanpur : Route Queries

I will be heading saharanpur,UP tomorrow morning for attending a marriage. I know two routes for reaching saharanpur

1. Via panipat
2. Via mujjafarnagar

Which route is the better one to avoid traffic, any in-way food points and other helpful pointers which might be helpful ?

Cheers
Old 21st April 2008, 11:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

Panipat route is slightly longer and NHAI have made a mess of the NH1 crossing near Delhi border.
Even the Panipat flyover is not open, and the road via Shamli may not be good.
I suggest if you are traveling at night, go via Panipat, otherwise take the shorter Meerut route.
You can go via Roorkee instead of Deoband and this way stay on NH for more time. This route till roorkie is pretty okay.
Old 21st April 2008, 11:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

I will be leaving by 9 am in morning tomm, however, as i am residing in north delhi i think the most appropriate route will be via panipat.

However, different suggestions as of now are

a) Gujranwalan town (near model town) -> Azadpur -> Panipat -> Shamli -> Saharanpur (Though panipat-shamli is a single way road but is clean during daytime as truck traffic is in night usually)
b) Gujranwalan town (near model town) -> Azadpur -> Panipat -> Karnal -> Yamuna nagar -> Saharanpur (Longest route, but cleanest route)
c) Gujranwalan town (near model town) -> Gaziabad -> Meerut -> Mujjafarnagar -> Saharanpur

Expected travel time - 4-5 Hrs

Any inputs ??
Old 21st April 2008, 12:10   #4
BHPian

I agree with suggestions of mod. If you want cleaner yet longer, take panipat, yamunanagar one. Else stick to Delhi-Loni-Shamli one. I have heard the shamli route roads have also improved a lot lately.
Old 21st April 2008, 12:13   #5
Team-BHP Support

North Delhi? Then the Panipat route is a No Brainer.
Go via that only.
Old 21st April 2008, 12:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
North Delhi? Then the Panipat route is a No Brainer.
Go via that only.
Thankx for suggestion tanveer, however i am bit confused between via yamuna nagar or via shamli routing. though yamuna nagar is the best as far as i know but during day time shamli route isn't too much bad.

What's you take ?
Old 21st April 2008, 12:51   #7
Team-BHP Support

I have never gone on either routes, but gone till Roorkee and beyond on the normal route.
As for Panipat route, you can reach Kurukshetra in an hour from Panipat. I have no idea about the roads after that.
I suggest in the day you go via the shorter shamli route(40kms shorter), and ask there whether it makes sense to go via Kurukshetra.
Note that you will pay toll also at Karnal.
Old 21st April 2008, 17:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the help tanveer, will surely post my report on shamli route.
Old 23rd April 2008, 21:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Came back today from saharanpur, went to and fro from shamli road only. Shamli road till saharnpur is great, not much traffic during the day. Though lots of villages fell in between, but never found the road boring. Kudos to NHAI

Small stretches for say 1-2 km were under construction, but still traffic blockage wasn't problem their on the route as very less traffic travels due to this road.

GPS did its work, but may be i haven't got the latest maps with me.

Thankx tanveer and gd for encouraging me to explore the road.

Cheers
Old 24th April 2008, 02:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

time kitna laga maalik? And safety?
Old 25th July 2011, 22:42   #11
BHPian

re: Delhi - Saharanpur : Route Queries

Took this road last week from saharanpur to Delhi via Shamli, Baghpat (The highway via rourkee was blocked for the kavadi yatris).

It was a hell ... the road was practically non-existent for 60% of the time .... full of ditches.
And it's supposed to be a state highway. Increased our travel time by 4-5 hours.

Found only one decent hotel on the way at saharanpur. Nothing else.
Old 23rd May 2012, 12:55   #12

Went to Shakumbari Devi Temple near Saharanpur from Delhi. While going from Delhi to Saharanpur took rout via Modinagar-Meerut-Muzaffarnagar-Deoband - Saharanpur - Jasmaur. Roads till Muzaffarnagar were bearable. Beyond that stretch roads were non existent.

A stretch of road, about 50%, from Saharanpur to Shakumbari Devi Temple was very good.

Return via Roorkee to avoid Saharanpur - Muzaffarnagar stretch. At least the road was existing. To reach Roorkee @ 60 Kms, I had to travel 20 Kms of non existent UP roads.

Hope this helps fellow travellers doing this stretch
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rysk View Post
Went to Shakumbari Devi Temple near Saharanpur from Delhi. While going from Delhi to Saharanpur took rout via Modinagar-Meerut-Muzaffarnagar-Deoband - Saharanpur - Jasmaur. Roads till Muzaffarnagar were bearable. Beyond that stretch roads were non existent.

A stretch of road, about 50%, from Saharanpur to Shakumbari Devi Temple was very good.

Return via Roorkee to avoid Saharanpur - Muzaffarnagar stretch. At least the road was existing. To reach Roorkee @ 60 Kms, I had to travel 20 Kms of non existent UP roads.

Hope this helps fellow travellers doing this stretch
Thanks for the road condition update. Looks like in this sector, roads never improve! How much time did you take for the drive, either way?
Old 9th June 2013, 14:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

What is the current road condition between Muzaffarnagar to Saharanpur? Is the Deoband route safe and OK or what is the alternative?
Old 14th June 2013, 08:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

Muzaffarnagar - Saharanpur Route (via Deoband) is best avoided. Review here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/118188-skoda-superb-tryst-destiny-29.html#post3148699

Although to be fair, route is bad for just 5~6 kms between Deoband and Saharanpur. It is the Saharanpur-Jagadhari route which is to be avoided at all costs. If anyone needs to go to Jagadhari (Yamunanagar) from Delhi/Meerut, take the GT Road at all costs via Karnal.

Last edited by dkaile : 14th June 2013 at 08:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks