Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2008, 17:02   #1
BHPian

Info needed : Gooty-Hampi-Chikmaglur-Mangalore

I would like to know the present road conditions of NH 63 and NH 13 from Gooty to Mangalore via Bellary-Chitradurga-Hosdurga-Chikmaglur-Mudigere-Mangalore.
Thanks.
Old 23rd May 2008, 10:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitindangoria View Post
I would like to know the present road conditions of NH 63 and NH 13 from Gooty to Mangalore via Bellary-Chitradurga-Hosdurga-Chikmaglur-Mudigere-Mangalore.
Thanks.
Nitin,

Last week, I went on NH13 between Chitradurga and Kudligi (halfway to Hospet), and the road is under repair, and not very exciting. But since you are coming from Bellary, you can ideally take the state highway from Bellary to Hiriyur via Ramapura and Challakere, which is an outstanding road (150 kmph road), except for the humps in every village you go through.

Once you reach Hiriyur, I would suggest you take NH4 all the way to Tumkur and Nelamangala (very good road), and switch to NH48 from Nelamangala and proceed via Kunigal, Channarayapatna and Hassan to Mangalore. At Hassan, you have the choice of going via Belur and Kotigehara to Mangalore (road is in good condition, 10 days ago update). ]

If you do not want to go via Nelamanagala, you can continue on NH13 via Chanagiri and Hollalkere (good road) to Shimoga and proceed to Managlore via Tirthahalli and Karkala. The Chitradurga-Shimoga section of NH13 is not the best, but not normally bad (no current update). If you want to touch Chickmagalur for any reason, then you can turn off NH13 40 kms before Shimoga and go directly to Bhadravathi, Tarikere and Chickmagalur.

I heard in Bellary that NH63 from Gooty to Bellary continues to be terrible (unless they have patched up for election time, which is unlikely).

Please avoid Hosadurga section, supposed to be very bad.
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

If you want to go to Mangalore then I suggest you to take Hiriyur - Neelamangala - Mangalore route as explained by Kumar ji. Taking Shimoga route can take more time. Take Shimoga route only when you have to reach Northwards of Udupi.

Abhi
Old 25th May 2008, 09:19   #4
BHPian

Mr. Kumar and Mr. Roy : Many thanks for your replies.

I find that lot of stretches like Gooty-Bellary and Shimoga/Chitradurga/Hosdurga are not that good.

An alternate route exists : Hyd-Raichur-Hubli-Ankola-Udupi.

Can you please update me on the road conditions of Raichur-Hubli-Ankola-Udupi ? Hubli-Ankola-Udupi section consists of NH 63 and NH 17 and should be good. Raichur-Hubli is a worrying factor.
Old 25th May 2008, 18:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

I was told that Raichur-Bellary road is in fantastic condition now. he Bellaryy-Hospet-Hubli road is supposed o be in bad condition now. No idea about Raichur-Hubli. You could also come from Raichur to NH13 via Mudgal to Hungund.
Old 26th May 2008, 13:35   #6
BHPian

Mr. Kumar,
Thanks for your reply.
Will let you know what route I've taken finally.
Old 26th May 2008, 13:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please update me on the road conditions of Raichur-Hubli-Ankola-Udupi ? Hubli-Ankola-Udupi section consists of NH 63 and NH 17 and should be good. Raichur-Hubli is a worrying factor.
No idea about Raichur-Hubli stretch. A couple of travelogues and my cousin who did the Hubli-Ankola-Udupi stretch recently (2 weeks ago) confirmed that the road is in decent shape.
Old 26th May 2008, 14:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An alternate route exists : Hyd-Raichur-Hubli-Ankola-Udupi.

Hubli-Ankola NH63 is in good condition (last week's update), but please plan properly - night truck traffic is very high, but morning and afternoon traffic is reasonable.
Old 2nd June 2008, 23:37   #9

Hampi-Hospet-Chitradurga-Shimoga-Agumbe-Mangalore(NH13) ... alternatives?

I am planning trip (on Alto) during 12-19 Jul 2008 from Hyderabad - Hampi - Mangalore. Hyderbad-Hampi route alternatives was pretty much clear and we have decided to take the following route:

Hyderabad – (20Km) - Shamshabad –(30km)- Shadnagar –(33km) Jadcherla –(16km) Mahboobnagar –(104km)- Raichur –(135km)- Gangavati –(25km)- Hampi (Hippie Island)

However, no luck with Hampi-Mangalore route. I am seeing a lot of bad reviews about NH13 (which seemed to be the obvious choice from the map.

Is there anybody who knows the present condition of the road (NH13) and also what are the alternative routes one could consider to make this trip?

This is my first long distance drive and so want to make a safe and enjoyable one.

Help !!
Old 8th June 2008, 10:04   #10
BHPian

Ajay

My friend has left this morning for Mangalore via Gooty and Bellary. Will let you know the road conditions after he returns in a week's time.
He was ready for the Hyd-Raichur-Davangere-Shimoga route but suddenly decided to opt for the NH route.
Old 10th June 2008, 15:17   #11
BHPian

Ajay :

The FIR coming from my friend after reaching Udupi is this : Avoid Gooty-Guntakal-Bellary-Hampi at all costs.
Will let you know the other details soon. But I advise you to try to get some info on Raichur-Hubli-Ankola-Udupi-Mangalore route.
Hubli-Ankola is NH 63 while Ankola-Mangalore is NH 17. Both should be good unless recent rains have created some havoc.

nitin
Old 11th June 2008, 14:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hubli - Ankola - udupi - Mangalore is better than before most of the stretch is with new tarr surface.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 13th June 2008, 07:26   #13
BHPian

Ajay :

Here's the info I promised you.

Avoid Gooty-Guntakal-Bellary at all costs.

Instead, Opt for either Hyd-Raichur-Davangere-Shimoga-Mangalore or as Ravi Bhat suggests, Raichur-Hubli-Ankola-Mangalore.

Let us know the latest road conditions after your trip.

Have a safe trip !!
Old 13th June 2008, 12:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

I am travelling from Pune to Beltangadi (Karnataka) this month end. Any other routes recommended other than via NH63 (Ankola) ? Yahoo maps says go straight down from Hubli towards Tirthahalli-Koppa. But I guess these are all state highways and best avoided.

Also, is there a way to get to NH63 without going all the way to Hubli-Dharwad?
Old 13th June 2008, 13:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Yahoo maps says go straight down from Hubli towards Tirthahalli-Koppa. But I guess these are all state highways and best avoided.

?
I just recently did a trip to shimoga n theerthally
The road between shimoga n theerthally is really good ..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks