Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2008, 10:02   #1
BHPian

Need Help for my trip to Mahabaleshwar from Hyderabad

Hello everybody,
Iam planning a trip to mahabaleshwar from Hyderabad,I would request you all to help me out with the route,Road condition & few other tips to make my trip a succesful one
which car would u sugget us to coz we have innova,Swift,& Lancer.wanted to finalize on swift,I would also need help on how to go about the accomodation,the expenses,HotSpots.

Please help me making my trip a great one..

Thanks in advance
Old 20th June 2008, 14:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Come on NH9 till Solapur via Pattancheru, Sangareddi, Zahirabad, Homnabad and Naldurg.

From Solapur, continue on NH9 (towards Pune, bypassing Solapur City), till Shetfal.

At Shetfal, turn towards Pandharpur.

Go via Pandharpur to Sangli and Kolhapur.

Join NH4 near Kolhapur, but do not go into Kolhapur. Instead, turn towards Karad/ Satara.

Go on NH4 via Karad and Satara. After Satara, turn left at Mahabaleshwar/Wai Phata and reach Mahabaleshwar via Wai, Panchgani.

If you leave eraly enough, you can do this journey in tthe same day.
Old 20th June 2008, 15:13   #3
BHPian

Mr. Kumar

I know this is akin to a torch showing light to the sun.

This has been my own experience, as well as two of my friends, about the Pandharpur-Satara road. It seemed as it was the loneliest road on the planet, the road condition was the worst I have ever travelled on. There is not a single soul to be seen for miles together.One friend had a bad experience when a few motorbikers tried to stop his car with the intention of looting him and followed at high speed for a long distance, till my friend in an Innova managed to get away.
I don't know what the present condition of the road is. But my sincere advice is to avoid this road. Instead, how about proceeding further after Solapur and going via Baramati? Maybe the roads should be better in Mr. Pawar's stronghold.
Mr. Kumar, please update us on the Pandharpur-Satara road conditions.
Old 20th June 2008, 15:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitindangoria View Post
Mr. Kumar

I know this is akin to a torch showing light to the sun.

This has been my own experience, as well as two of my friends, about the Pandharpur-Satara road. It seemed as it was the loneliest road on the planet, the road condition was the worst I have ever travelled on. There is not a single soul to be seen for miles together.One friend had a bad experience when a few motorbikers tried to stop his car with the intention of looting him and followed at high speed for a long distance, till my friend in an Innova managed to get away.
I don't know what the present condition of the road is. But my sincere advice is to avoid this road. Instead, how about proceeding further after Solapur and going via Baramati? Maybe the roads should be better in Mr. Pawar's stronghold.
Mr. Kumar, please update us on the Pandharpur-Satara road conditions.

Yes, I agree that Pandharpur-Sangli is a lonely road but I am surprised about the dacoity experience. Our member tirthankarbasu has gone on this road twice in the last 3 months (once in the middle of the night) and happily, did not have any problems. Travel at night is best avoided in any case.

Road condition is good currently.

Yes, he can also go on NH9 all the way till Kurukumbh and then via Baramati to Shirwal and connect to NH4.
Old 21st June 2008, 11:50   #5
BHPian

thanks for the information Mr.Kumar & nitin.How much time will it take?I came to know from my frienz that its around 700Km from hyderabad,non-stop driving might help us to reach there in 8 hrs???taking Baramati route makes trip long??seriously guys none of us have ever been there.Can you all give a clear picture about the route, NH9 all the way till Kurukumbh and then via Baramati to Shirwal and connect to NH4,i think this route will be safe.More suggestions required pls..
Old 21st June 2008, 12:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hyderabad-Solapur, 320 kms, NH9 all the way, 6 hours

Good, fast drive, via Patancheru, Sangareddi (58 kms from Hyderabad), Sadshivpet (15), Zahirabad (40), Homnabad (55), Umarga (61), Naldurg (42) to Solapur (47).

Solapur-Mohol-Pandharpur, 71 kms, NH9 till Mohol, 2 hours
Continue on NH9 on Solapur bypass, till Mohol (31 kms from Solapur), where you turn left to Pandharpur (40).

Pandharpur-Sangli-Peth Naka, 187 kms, 5 hours
Pandharpur-Sangole (33), Nagaj (24), Miraj (71), Sangli (10)
From Sangli, instead of going via Kolhapur, you can go directly to NH4 via Aastha (25), Islampur (21) to Peth Naka (3), which is on NH4.

Peth Naka-Mahabaleswar, 116, 3 hours
Turn right at Peth Naka onto NH4 (towards Karad/Pune), Karad (26), Umbraj (19), Satara (37) till Mahabaleswar Phata (34).
At the Mahabaleswar Phata, you leave NH4 and go to Mahabaleswar (45) via Panchgani.

Total distance on the Hyderabd-Solapur-Pandharpur-Sangli-Karad-Satara-Mahabaleswar route is just short of 700 kms. Time estimate is 16 hours. Add on extra time for halts, if any. You can be very fast on NH9 till Solapur (can save you at least 1 hour), but you could lose ime navigating Miraj and Sangli towns. Overall, if you are very fast, take minimal breaks, you could be 2 hours faster, or 14 hours.

NH9 is great all the way. Boring landscapes, poor facilities. Luckily, you can bypass Solapur. Road is good till Mohol too. From MOhol to Pandharpur, road is good, being the main road to the pilgrim centre. After Pandharpur, road narrows down, has poor facilities and has no bypasses.

From Sangli, turn off the Kolhapur road and go on the route indicated. Please note to follow signboards, there are a few turn offs.

From Peth Naka, NH4 is a great double road. Watch out for wrong side traffic riders. The final leg to Mahableshwar has some ghat roads.
Old 21st June 2008, 12:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Now to discuss the route via Baramati.

Hyderabad-Solapur, 320 kms, NH9
As discussed in earlier mail

Solapur-Indapur, NH9, 105 kms, on NH9
Mohol (31 kms), Shetpal (27), Tembhurni (25), Indapur (22).

Indapur-Mahableswar, 158 kms
Leave NH9 at Indapur. Turn left.
Indapur-Baramati (50), Phaltan (23), Mahableswar Phata/Wai(40) , Mahableswar (45)

This route turns out to be shorter, around 600 kms.

I am not sure about the road from Baramati onwards, but you also have the option of going from Baramati to Shirwal and coming back to Mahableswar Phata/Wai on NH4. Please decide which route you wish to take after reaching Baramati.
Old 21st June 2008, 13:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Instead, how about proceeding further after Solapur and going via Baramati? Maybe the roads should be better in Mr. Pawar's stronghold.
Nitin, thanks for the re-routing tip. I think the Baramti route is not only shorter but may also be better thanks to Pawar and the higher level of industrialisation in that route. Saves nearly 100 kms instead of going via Pandharpur, Sangli, Karad and Satara to Mahableswar.
Old 21st June 2008, 13:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Dont come anywhere close to Pune or Pandharpur around the July 5th-11th time period. There is a procession taken out during this period by deciples of Sant Tukaram from Dehu Road Pune to Pandharpur.

Last year, it was absolute mayhem with almost all roads in and around Pune jam packed with trucks, tractor trailers and what not carrying all the people along the procession route. I had to drop my sis in law at the airport and it normally takes 30 mins max. We ended up being stuck on the way for 3 hours and flight missed as well.
Old 22nd June 2008, 04:37   #10
BHPian

Mr.Kumar you know what? you are no doubt, awsome,Just awsome,Now i got a clear picture about the track,

spadival thanks for the info on 5th,we are going on 4th July,I overheard that its raining heavily these days at mahabaleshwar,is it true?No matter what,The plan is conformed,

Please keep me posted about the updates..Thanks

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd June 2008 at 05:20. Reason: u no = you know. Please type in full words and not SMS language as per the Team-BHP rules.
Old 22nd June 2008, 11:27   #11
BHPian

True. Mahabaleshwar has one of the highest rainfalls in the region. It would be better to stay in Panchgani, which is just a few kms from Mahabaleshwar, but receives very less rainfall and is pleasant to stay.

I too agree that Kumar's experience and knowledge is just fantastic. I utilised his knowledge while returning from Goa to Hyd via Bijapur and we all so thankful to him.
Old 22nd June 2008, 18:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
True. Mahabaleshwar has one of the highest rainfalls in the region. It would be better to stay in Panchgani, which is just a few kms from Mahabaleshwar, but receives very less rainfall and is pleasant to stay.

I too agree that Kumar's experience and knowledge is just fantastic. I utilised his knowledge while returning from Goa to Hyd via Bijapur and we all so thankful to him.
Nitin so stay at panchgani is better,how about the accomidation??do we have good rooms to stay in panchgani?

U would suggest that a raincoat is a must,just kidding.
Old 22nd June 2008, 20:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Panchgani has lots of hotels too.

Yes, carrying rain coats is a sensible thing to do, umbrellas get blown away.

Mahableswar is great during the rains, rains buckets. Aquaplaning is a very common thing, make sure your tyres are in top form.
Old 22nd June 2008, 21:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Panchgani has lots of hotels too.

Yes, carrying rain coats is a sensible thing to do, umbrellas get blown away.

Mahableswar is great during the rains, rains buckets. Aquaplaning is a very common thing, make sure your tyres are in top form.
Mr.Kumar thanks a lot for tonns of information,

Would expect more & mor in future.
Old 26th June 2008, 12:47   #15
BHPian

Joshua,

Let us have your trip review after your return. Please include details like the route, good hotels/restaurants enroute, road conditions etc.

It will help myself and others who are planning a trip soon.
thanks.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks