Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2009, 17:38   #31
Senior - BHPian

Most scenic route would be to come via Munnar.
Route would be:
Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Bhavani-Perunthurai-Gangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalaipet-Munnar-Thekkady
Old 5th December 2009, 22:07   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
Go through Salem - Karur - Dindigul - Vattalgundu - Theni - Kambam route. This is faster. (even though there are small stretches of construction zones).

Watchout for the directions to Vattalgundu from Dindigul. NH7 is a very good highway around Dindigul and you can easily miss the turn and end up at Madurai .
The road is so good, one easily misses most of the regular towns you see on the route. I missed my home town Virudhunagar and almost went to Sattur after madurai.

I am planning a trip to Thekkady on 23rd Dec. I have not yet decided whether to go via dindugal or via mettur / bhavani. But considering that the roads finished till karus and are almost good from karur to Dindugal, I may opt for 4 track luxury. Is the Mettur / Bhavani / Dharapuram stretch good now after the rain battering?
Best regards
Bala
Old 5th December 2009, 22:16   #33
BHPian

About boating though please check up whether boating has restarted in Thekkady after the recent boat mishap. Part of the fun of a visit to Thekkady was the boat ride in the lake. For any body venturing into boating here or anywhere else please consider investing in a life jacket of your own. Most of the boats being used now are fibre boats with suspect stability. A decent life jacket would cost only about Rs 1400 per head.
Old 5th December 2009, 22:35   #34
BHPian

Hi HVKumar, I know you are the guru of road routes in India. To reach Kodaikanal from Bangalore which of the following routes would your recommend now considering 4 laning is 100% complete between Bangalore and Dindugal through karur, Namakkal.

Route 1: Bangalore-Hosur-Thoppur- Mettur-Bhavani-Perunthurai-Gangeyam-Dharapuram-Palani-Kodai

Route2: Bangalore - Krishnagiri- Salem - Karur - Dindigul - Vattalgundu - Kodai

Thanks for your help
Old 5th December 2009, 23:24   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Most scenic route would be to come via Munnar.
Route would be:
Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Bhavani-Perunthurai-Gangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalaipet-Munnar-Thekkady
how long would this be with appx time. and how would the two suggestions compare i.e. above with

"Salem - Karur - Dindigul - Vattalgundu - Theni - Kambam"
Old 6th December 2009, 18:54   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Hi HVKumar, I know you are the guru of road routes in India. To reach Kodaikanal from Bangalore which of the following routes would your recommend now considering 4 laning is 100% complete between Bangalore and Dindugal through karur, Namakkal.

Route 1: Bangalore-Hosur-Thoppur- Mettur-Bhavani-Perunthurai-Gangeyam-Dharapuram-Palani-Kodai

Route2: Bangalore - Krishnagiri- Salem - Karur - Dindigul - Vattalgundu - Kodai

Thanks for your help
Hi
Unless you want to see the full stanley resoirvoir (Mettur dam) I suggest you take the 4 track luxury till Dindugal. Time saved will be more. If you want spectacular views Palani Kodaikanal route is the way to go. But you need good day light or atleast start climbing before 3 pm from palani. There is a water fall which falls from seven levels and there is palar dam view
Best regards
Bala
Best regards
Old 6th December 2009, 19:03   #37
Senior - BHPian

Distance comparison:
R1: Bangalore-Mettur-Dharapuram-Palani-Kodaikanal, 440 kms
R2: Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Kodaikanal, 460 kms

Not much of a choice, both have plains but for the last 50 kms or so.
Old 6th December 2009, 21:25   #38
BHPian

Hi Balan, hvkumar
Thank you so much. I had always traveled to Kodai only through the Batlagundu route before. Never did the Palani route. Your explanation about "spectacular views" in the palani kodai route and Mettur dam view is tilting the scale towards the mettur - palani route. I am doing this trip during the christmas weekend. Thanks guys and I will update the travelogue once the trip is done
Old 20th December 2009, 09:48   #39

Well, thanks, I will be driving down Bangalore-Thekkady/Periyar 24th Dec, starting early morning and as suggested would like to try

Pl help me with info on how long will this route be and expected time it would take. Are there any bad road patches or congestions.

How would this compare to
Bangalore - Salem - Karur - Dindigul - Vattalgundu - Theni - Kambam

Thanks
Old 20th December 2009, 11:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

To get to Thekkady/Kumili, the Dindigul route is preferable, although teh Munnar-Thekkady route is more scenic.
Old 21st December 2009, 07:58   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sminni View Post
Well, thanks, I will be driving down Bangalore-Thekkady/Periyar 24th Dec, starting early morning and as suggested would like to try

Pl help me with info on how long will this route be and expected time it would take. Are there any bad road patches or congestions.

How would this compare to
Bangalore - Salem - Karur - Dindigul - Vattalgundu - Theni - Kambam

Thanks
You may not be able to do this stretch in one shot (At least I cannot do ). You will need a break in between. From that point of view, I think Dindigul route is better, as there are more options available for stay.
Old 21st December 2009, 08:26   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You may not be able to do this stretch in one shot (At least I cannot do ). You will need a break in between. From that point of view, I think Dindigul route is better, as there are more options available for stay.
Bangalore periyar is easily doable as the distance is around 550-570. If you start by 6 AM, you should be reaching there comfortably by around 6 PM ( with no hard driving), even earlier if you speed up.
Old 22nd December 2009, 11:14   #43

Thanks for all the advice - and from googlemaps -
I see a possibility to go from Bangalore - Thekkady as

Bangalore - Salem - Dindigul NH7
Dindigul - Theni NH45
Theni - Kumily/Thekkady NH220

Ques: Should I take SH17 from Hosur - Dharmapuri / Jettahalli - will it be shorter that NH7 (via Krishnagiri)
Old 28th December 2009, 16:43   #44
BHPian

My thekkady trip seems to be jinxed year after year. This is the second year I am missing the trip after posting about my prospective trip on Team BHP. (Next year I am not posting about my prospective trip to Thekkady on Team BHP)
But I am at Kodaikanal now and I came via the 4 track road upto Dindugal and then vatlagundu, kodai. Started at 930 from Bangalore/ KR Puram, via Varthur lake, attibele, hosur, dindugal, vatlagundu, reached at 530 pm
Old 3rd January 2010, 09:18   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sminni View Post
[...]
Bangalore - Salem - Dindigul NH7
Dindigul - Theni NH45
Theni - Kumily/Thekkady NH220
Did the trip per above on 23rd Dec 09 returned 28th dec 09. Total 520km each way 8 - 1/2hrs with 1 stop.
Upto Dindigul 380km very good (& boring) road, touched 140-160km at placed, slight waiting / slowdown at Hosur, 1st toll plaza (total 5-6 tolls) & salem byepass , missed turnout at Dindigul, took the right one immediately after Dindigul toll thru KodaiRoad rly stn

Dindigul to thekkady / periyar 140km, fairly decent roads but patches of congestion. Bad road last 8km uphill. Fair amount of Sabarimala traffic

Only decent eatery was A2B before Thoppur toll plaza (nothing else after that

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks