Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2013, 13:13   #46
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Periyar driving directions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sminni View Post
Did the trip per above on 23rd Dec 09 returned 28th dec 09.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
To get to Thekkady/Kumili, the Dindigul route is preferable, although teh Munnar-Thekkady route is more scenic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You may not be able to do this stretch in one shot (At least I cannot do ). You will need a break in between. From that point of view, I think Dindigul route is better, as there are more options available for stay.
Hi All,

Invaluable threads here oon TBHP. I wish to do Bangalore Periyar on 1st June and return a few days later.

Could you let me know the good route option? is it possible in 1 day (how many kms is it), any journey break options.

Also as i gathered Periyar house has been recommended, any comments given the situation today?

Thanks a lot for your help

Regards
Sid
Old 7th May 2013, 13:22   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarsiddhi View Post
Hi All,

Invaluable threads here oon TBHP. I wish to do Bangalore Periyar on 1st June and return a few days later.

Could you let me know the good route option? is it possible in 1 day (how many kms is it), any journey break options.

Also as i gathered Periyar house has been recommended, any comments given the situation today?

Thanks a lot for your help

Regards
Sid
Yes, you can do the Bangalore-Thekkady drive comfortably in 8-10 hours, with breaks.
KTDC Periyar House & KTDC Aranya Nivas are great places to stay in, the only ones inside the Park, right at the water's edge.
If you are staying for longer duration, maybe you can also check out their Lake Palace & jungle huts also.
Rains will also start during this time, so animal sightings may be subdued.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 13:25   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do note when I made that comment! That was almost 3.5 years back. Now after having driven to many places, I can say its easily possible! What a flip !

If you are not wanting to go to Munnar and are heading to Periyar house (Thekkady) directly you can do : Bangalore-Salem-Karur-Dindigul-Theni-Kumly-Periyar.

Its 4 lane all the way up to Dindigul, good 2-lane from there to Kumily.

Its about 500km. You can should be able to manage easily. 3 hours to Salem. 2.5 to Dindigul and another 2 to go past Kumily.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 14:32   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
If you are staying for longer duration, maybe you can also check out their Lake Palace & jungle huts also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its about 500km. You can should be able to manage easily. 3 hours to Salem. 2.5 to Dindigul and another 2 to go past Kumily.
Thanks a lot HV and Ampere. HV can you tell me about how to search Lake Palace and Jungle Huts? are they more luxurious and inside the sanctuary?

I will be going only for 3 nights

Sid
Old 7th May 2013, 15:11   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks a lot HV and Ampere. HV can you tell me about how to search Lake Palace and Jungle Huts? are they more luxurious and inside the sanctuary?

Sid
Last weekend we did a a Chennai-Thekkady-Megamalai-Chennai trip. We stayed at a place called Shalimar Garden Spice Resort, about 4 Kilometers from Kumily. It is a very nice resort and they gave an off season package for a cottage. It was Rs 5000 inclusive of tax and complimentary breakfast. I would highly recommend this place.
I am not sure but the guide on the Periyar boat ride told us that staying in the Lake Palace costs about 18000 per night. But it is right inside the jungle.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 15:14   #51
BHPian

Quote:

Sid
Lake Palace is also KTDC property and inside the sanctuary. You can find the details at http://www.lakepalacethekkady.com/index.php. Yes it is the most expensive property by KTDC in Thekkady.

I am not aware of Jungle Hut.
arindamray is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks