Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2008, 08:17   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
To go to Krishnagiri is it mandatory that we have to drive thru Dharmapuri town?
As the road conditions and traffic inside Dharmapuri is not that bad i took this route. There is a road which leads to bangalore and one inside the dharmapuri town. Are you talking about the bangalore road?
Old 19th August 2008, 09:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

@ Mission

The road which Raj is referring is the one which veers left just before entering Dharmapuri (before the railway gate) when you come from Thoppur. This road indeed acts as a byepass for Dharmapuri but is taken only by Lorries, it joins the NH7 again after Dharmapuri, this is a much longer option. Since the road through the town is good and traffic congestion is not so high its always been better to take the road through the town rather than the byepass as it would certainly save you time as compared to the byepass. If you come from Krishnagiri side, as you are about to enter Dharmapuri, just before a small bridge you would find a Policeman directing lorries to take a right, this is the so called byepass to Dharmapuri, as lorries not allowed inside the town. But the route referred by Raj via Palacode to Krishnagiri is indeed an alternate route to Krishnagiri from Dharmapuri which is used by Private Omni bus whenever there is a traffic jam due to accidents between Dharmapuri & Krishnagiri.

@Raj

You dont need to go all the way to Bhavani and then back to Mettur while coming from Sathy, ask for directions to Bungalowpudhur when you are about to exit Sathy which is a very good double lane road, once on this road you have to continue till Athani, where a straight road takes you to Bhavani, while the left one takes you to Andhiyur, once you reach Andhiyur you would find a main road which goes left and right, left goes to Bargur and right goes to Ammapettai. Take the right, this would take you to Ammapettai, which is on the Mettur - Bhavani Road, take a left at Ammapettai you are on your way to Mettur. The total distance from Mettur to Sathyamangalam is about 75 kms if my memory serves correct. Its a peaceful drive all the way.
Old 19th February 2010, 21:23   #18
BHPian

Any latest updates on Chennai to Salem road conditions ? planning to take the Villupuram - Salem route instead of Krishnagiri next weekend. How many kms would i save taking the tambaram route ?

Thanks
Old 19th February 2010, 21:25   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
Any latest updates on Chennai to Salem road conditions ? planning to take the Villupuram - Salem route instead of Krishnagiri next weekend. How many kms would i save taking the tambaram route ?

Thanks
Just take the regular route (NH4-NH46-N7). Very nice and no hassles. Its butter on the road all the way.
Old 6th April 2010, 12:30   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Just take the regular route (NH4-NH46-N7). Very nice and no hassles. Its butter on the road all the way.
Just came up from Salem-Chennai on that route and it really is cool. Managed Salem to Krishnagiri in 90 minutes and Krishnagiri to Chennai in 3.5 hrs.

Have never done the NH45 via Tindivanam to Salem and am curious to know if it would be much different. I want to try it if it will take more or less the same time and if the experience won't be too bad. Any suggestions?
Old 6th April 2010, 12:51   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
Just came up from Salem-Chennai on that route and it really is cool. Managed Salem to Krishnagiri in 90 minutes and Krishnagiri to Chennai in 3.5 hrs.

Have never done the NH45 via Tindivanam to Salem and am curious to know if it would be much different. I want to try it if it will take more or less the same time and if the experience won't be too bad. Any suggestions?
NH68 is not on GQ. Hence you wont expect the same niceties. I have never tried though, but definitely will not come anywhere close to NH46/NH7.
Old 6th April 2010, 14:36   #22
BHPian

Hi Friends,

This week-end am going to do chennai-Erode trip by my Fiesta TDCI. And am taking the following route chennai-vellore-krishnagiri-Thoppur-Mechur-Mettur-Bhavani-Erode. Please put your suggestions on this?. Is it easy to identify the right turn to catch Mettur road from Thoppur section? Any landmarks before that? Also, am little scar about that 8 point speed-breakers in Thoppur Ghat section. I'm planning to start by 5-30 A.M in chennai, what is the approximate time to reach Erode with 30 mins break? Sorry for lot of questions... Since this will be my first long trip. Thanks in advance.
Old 6th April 2010, 14:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Hi Friends,

This week-end am going to do chennai-Erode trip by my Fiesta TDCI. And am taking the following route chennai-vellore-krishnagiri-Thoppur-Mechur-Mettur-Bhavani-Erode. Please put your suggestions on this?. Is it easy to identify the right turn to catch Mettur road from Thoppur section? Any landmarks before that? Also, am little scar about that 8 point speed-breakers in Thoppur Ghat section. I'm planning to start by 5-30 A.M in chennai, what is the approximate time to reach Erode with 30 mins break? Sorry for lot of questions... Since this will be my first long trip. Thanks in advance.
Its easier going via Salem to Erode than taking the Mettur-Bhavani road.The road is not in great shape,whereas the 4laning between Thoppur & Salem is complete now.If you do want to take the Mettur route,the turning to Mettur is well marked-nothing to worry.
Old 6th April 2010, 14:50   #24
BHPian

Hi ranjit,

Thanks man! Actually I am not sure about the difference btw taking salem route or Mettur-Bhavani road. I came to this conclusion after read through our threads only. What is the difference btw these two routes? Less traffic or Less distance. Kindly guide me.
Old 6th April 2010, 15:02   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi ranjit,

Thanks man! Actually I am not sure about the difference btw taking salem route or Mettur-Bhavani road. I came to this conclusion after read through our threads only. What is the difference btw these two routes? Less traffic or Less distance. Kindly guide me.
From Thoppur you go through a 2 line state highway via Mettur. This bypasses Salem and joins the NH47 at Bhavani.

Instead if you follow NH7 till Salem, and continue on NH47, its a smooth 4L all the way till Erode.
Old 6th April 2010, 17:25   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friends,

Hey Jebs,
These three different routes from Chennai to Salem but the best on is option 3 which is longer by 30 Kms but its safe, smooth and you will love to Cruze.

1) Chennai, Tindivanam, Villupuram, Ulundurpet, Attur salem - 340 kms
2) Chennai, sriperumbudur, vellore, Ambur, Tirupattur, Harur, Salem - 345 KMS
3) Chennai, sriperumbudur, vellore, Ambur, Krishnagiri, Dharmapuri, Salem - 370 KMS

Been born and brought up in Salem I you suggest you to take Dharmapuri, Salem and Erode (I bet you will love this road) rather than Thoppur-Mechur-Mettur-Bhavani-Erode due to following reason.

1) Some time there might be heavy traffic due to trucks, not always
2) 2 Lane Rds.
3) Very sharp turns, some patches inbetween until mettur.
4) Take the Salem route you will by by-pass Salem in the highway itself so no traffic in Salem as well as in Sankagiri.
Old 6th April 2010, 18:07   #27
BHPian

Hi Ranjith.rajaram and ampere,

Thanks for your valuable inputs. Am pretty much fine with Dharmapuri,Salem and Erode route since it is all the way 4L(Now only i got to know that).
Old 6th April 2010, 18:10   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Ranjith.rajaram and ampere,

Thanks for your valuable inputs. Am pretty much fine with Dharmapuri,Salem and Erode route since it is all the way 4L(Now only i got to know that).
Also note that there is an A2B near Thoppur. Buts its on the opposite side of the road while going towards Salem.
You have to take a U and come back, if you want to go there.

Last edited by ampere : 6th April 2010 at 18:11.
Old 7th April 2010, 10:25   #29
BHPian

As Ranjith said, I would recommend the same - option 3 is the best.
Old 7th April 2010, 14:31   #30
BHPian

I can vouch for NH4-NH46-NH7 as well. Drove to Bangalore 3 months back and the road is real pleasing. The only disappointment is the frequent stops at toll-booths - far too many of them and the tool is pretty expensive too.

I'm planning a Chennai-Ooty-Masinagudi-Coimbatore-Chennai trip over all of next week as well. After thinking about the Tambaram route for quite a while, I now feel the NH4-NH46-NH7 route is best even if its is a little longer.

On reaching NH7, we take a right to goto Bangalore and at this point we just need to take a left Salem per my understanding. Does anyone know how good the rest of the route is from Salem to Ooty?

A good option w.r.t. food is to stop by Saravana Bhavan at Vellore (which is no deviation at all). Anyone know of a good option for lunch in that route once we are on NH7?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks