Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2014, 16:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyderabad - Rajamundry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingWheels View Post
Hi,
Could you please tell me more about the road condition from Suryapet to Vizag using Khammam Route. Last I heard was that this route was not that recommended. Has there been a change. Someone in my family plans to take this route tomorrow. Thanks
Avoid. After entering AP, roads are terrible. Moreover, you have to enter Rajahmundry town to get to NH5.

Stick to the NH9 via Vijaywada and NH5 from there.
Old 26th October 2014, 09:45   #32
BHPian

Thanks HV Kumar Sir. Appreciate your quick revert. Will advise my cousin accordingly.
Old 26th October 2014, 21:40   #33
BHPian

Hi,
Need some advice on whether this is the right time to go to Araku valley? Also any suggestions on places to stay overnight with family. Thanks
Old 26th October 2014, 22:47   #34
Senior - BHPian

@RollingWheels---we have no reports if cyclone Hudhud has caused damage to Araku region, though it devastated Vizag city. But if you do get to travel to Araku, you have options of staying at the Haritha Resort there run by AP Tourism.

I'd prefer to stay at Ananthagiri instead of Araku because it is located higher and has a great view of the valley below.It is around 15 to 20 kms nearer on the route to Araku. Another option is to stay at Jungle Bells in Tyda, which comes around 35 kms before Araku on the same route. This resort has tents and cottages on the side of a cliff amidst forest, and the Tyda railway station is a short walk away. The sounds of animals at night and trains passing through tunnels is something to be experienced.

The only flip side of Araku is the quality of food. Was never upto expectations, but then you don't have a choice.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 09:27   #35
BHPian

Thanks a lot for this input vnabhi
Old 27th October 2014, 18:32   #36
BHPian

My BIL who is already on the route wants to know if there is any hotel to stay in Tuni? He was planning to hit Vizag but there was some farmers unrest leading to NH5 blockade.
Old 4th December 2014, 23:24   #37

Road conditions Hyderabad - Kakinada

For an upcoming trip to Kakinada, I'm considering the following two routes

497Km
Hyderabad- Vijayawada- Eluru- Kovvuru- Rajahmundry- Peddapuram- Samarlakota- Kakinada

524Km
Hyderabad- Vijayawada- Eluru- Ravulapalem (NH5)- Kadiyam- Samarlakota- Kakinada

Option 1 takes one on the road-cum-rail bridge on Godavari but one needs to go through Kovvuru and Rajahmundry urban areas.
Option 2 is longer (from maps) but could be faster.

Could a kind soul share recent road conditions Vijayawada- Kakinada? Special concern is of Eluru- Kovvuru stretch. I was thinking of a lunch break around Rajahmundry, thus driving through the city is somewhat acceptable
Old 16th December 2014, 21:45   #38

December, 2014

Transiting through Vijayawada (from Hyderabad to Eluru and back) is painful owing to road closures and diversions through narrow streets. One passes through a tunnel too. Apparently Hyderabad highway access is blocked due to a religious fest. Several instances of vehicles losing their way only to be guided by "go straight", is a familiar sight these days

Eluru (Gundugolanu on NH5, to be precise) - Kovvur - Rajahmundry, road is quite wide but patchy. Gundugolanu-Devarapalli (48Km) is reasonable and 50-60Kmph seems apt. Devarapalli-Kovvur (20Km) is a challenge. 25-35Kmph may be the right pace due to potholes and trucks carrying stone crushing output.

Kovvur-Rajahmundry (14Km) over the rail cum road bridge has a speed limit of 20Kmph and I doubt if anyone can match it. The surface has buckled/ sagged every 5-10 meters.

Rajahmundry-Ravulapalem-Tanuku-Tadepalligudem (90Km). This stretch has patchy road surface which forces to throttle down to 50-60Kmph and the traffic is quite heavy. Coupled with prevalent attitude of driving on the wrong side of road, you are the champion if you're able to maintain speed.

Tadepalligudem-Eluru-Hanuman Junction (67Km) is quite decent and 90-110 speeds are quite common.

Vijayawada traffic extends influence to Gannavaram and it's prudent to budget time for challenging traffic guidance till Ibrahimpatnam
Old 16th December 2014, 22:26   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsksnt View Post
December, 2014

Transiting through Vijayawada (from Hyderabad to Eluru and back) is painful owing to road closures and diversions through narrow streets. One passes through a tunnel too. Apparently Hyderabad highway access is blocked due to a religious fest.
I am not aware of any religious fest that happens in the month of December in Vijayawada.I know that there were diversions only for the Durga festival. Can you please throw some light on it?
Old 17th December 2014, 09:11   #40

We saw pilgrims in red/ orange attire and the police who guided us at intersections told us of the event. Don't quite know how long it is to last. Following is the route we took. We took to the tunnel on the way out to Eluru and skipped it on the return. The map shows the return path.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad - Rajamundry : Route Queries-bzadiversion.jpg  

Old 17th December 2014, 11:16   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsksnt View Post
We saw pilgrims in red/ orange attire and the police who guided us at intersections told us of the event. Don't quite know how long it is to last. Following is the route we took. We took to the tunnel on the way out to Eluru and skipped it on the return. The map shows the return path.
That route that you took in Vijayawada city was very long. Should have tried going through Eluru Road instead of Bander Road (BENZ Circle).
Old 17th December 2014, 11:33   #42

Your assessment is right on. However, at the junction of Bandar Rd and Eluru Rd, they blocked our access to Hyderabad and suggested we reroute. It was the traffic police who suggested the new route, given the temporary jams in the city. Anyway we delightedly got lost and experienced a different Vijayawada
Old 31st December 2014, 23:36   #43
BHPian

Guys, we're in Rajahmundry right now and plan to leave for Hyderabad tomorrow. What route do we take, how is the Khammam road until Suryapet? Papa wants to go via Vijayawada but I'm not very happy going the long way.
Old 1st January 2015, 11:30   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Guys, we're in Rajahmundry right now and plan to leave for Hyderabad tomorrow. What route do we take, how is the Khammam road until Suryapet? Papa wants to go via Vijayawada but I'm not very happy going the long way.
I would definitely encourage you to take the Vijayawada route (NH5-NH9), i.e. Rajahmundry-Kadiam-Ravulapalem-Tanuku-Eluru Bypass-Vijayawada-Suryapet-Hyderabad. At Vijayawada you can take the Eluru Road to bypass Benz Circle & Kanak Durga Temple rush. It will take approx. 7 hrs. to reach Hyderabad, but this is a much faster & smoother drive than the Khammam route. Four-lane highways throughout and Vijayawada to Hyderabad is extremely good.
penpusher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 06:52   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by penpusher View Post
I would definitely encourage you to take the Vijayawada route (NH5-NH9), i.e. Rajahmundry-Kadiam-Ravulapalem-Tanuku-Eluru Bypass-Vijayawada-Suryapet-Hyderabad. At Vijayawada you can take the Eluru Road to bypass Benz Circle & Kanak Durga Temple rush. It will take approx. 7 hrs. to reach Hyderabad, but this is a much faster & smoother drive than the Khammam route. Four-lane highways throughout and Vijayawada to Hyderabad is extremely good.
+1 to what penpusher has suggested. Taking a longer route but the best road is always better than taking a short and bad road. And finally, please update on the road you took. BTW, what is the road condition between Vijayawada and Rajahmundry? There have been reports in the past that the road was full of pot holes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks