Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2009, 16:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
It will long and tiring route. Almost double the time and you might have to stop at some place.

from Chandigarh head towards Punjab side, from there take the route for Manali as that will be shorter i guess.

I went from there in 2007 when my friends car broke down. Reached in 3 hours flat, though Manali was around 90KM away from there.

You should have seen me drive. It was Fast and Furious in the making. I didn't even slot 4th gear all the way from Chandigarh to Manali.

Or you an take Chandigarh > Pinjore > Nalagarh > Bilaspur > Sundar Nagar > mandi > Bhuntar > Kullu > Manali

I have never been through the above way.
pinjore -nalagarh stretch is horrible and best avoided
and manali via jalori pass can be done in a day
Old 2nd May 2009, 11:40   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey Guys
I am getting a holiday on the 30th of April and as 1st May is a holiday I am am headed to Manali!!!

I have planned the trip as under
  • 29th Apr(Wed) : Leave Delhi around 5pm and night stay at Chandigarh (my mama's house)
  • 30th Apr(Thurs): Leave Chandigarh for Manali. Stay there for 2 nights 30th Apr & 1st May
  • 2nd May leave Manali towards the afternoon and night stay at Chandigarh
  • 3rd Leave Chandigarh for Delhi
Now I have been to Manali only once and that too 20 years back on bus.

What route should I take for Day II, Chandigarh to Manali and back to Chandigarh on Day 4.
Some have advised me to go via Shimla as the route is very nice and beautiful.

Is it doable in a day. We are 2 couples with my 3 yrs old boy. I dont want to try something which normally people do not do as I do not want to ruin the fun out of a vacation on the 2nd day itself.
Hi !
What are the current road conditions for Delhi- Chandigarh - Manali -Shimla - Delhi route ? I plan to take the route around 27th of may to 3rd june. Any latest updates on this route ? Thanks
Old 2nd May 2009, 11:59   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask77 View Post
Hi !
What are the current road conditions for Delhi- Chandigarh - Manali -Shimla - Delhi route ? I plan to take the route around 27th of may to 3rd june. Any latest updates on this route ? Thanks
The route is good. Delhi > Chandigarh is pure highway driving maintain a speed limit if 90-100, as highway patrol are on the look out for over speeders due to the new flyovers and highway.

From Chandigarh head towards Punjab from there take the Manali route. While coming back from Manali there are 2 ways one goes to Shimla and other one back to Punjab. Take the Shimla route.

The roads are good, you wont have any problems. Maybe due to certain time you might get stuck in traffic while coming back from Shimla.
Old 5th May 2009, 07:44   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask77 View Post
Hi !
As abhibh as already told you the roads are in good condition and get better after Sundernagar. I did the Del-Chd(overnight halt) Manali - Chd - Del

On the way to Manali I drove through Kullu, but on the way back I avoided the main highway and just before you reach Kullu there is a new bridge and takes you on the other side of the river. I took this road and a lovely road it is. You can easily cruise at 80 km/hr on this straight wide road and this takes you straight to Bhunter. This way you avoid the narrow road of Kullu and also as the road is too narrow sometimes they make it one way too.
Old 5th May 2009, 09:08   #35
BHPian

well thanks for all the feedback it is certainly most useful
@harjeev is the kullu bypass well marked ? can you tell me where to turnoff before kullu to take this route ? I have only been once to Kullu - manali and that too by air around 15 yrs ago

Last edited by ask77 : 5th May 2009 at 09:12.
Old 13th August 2012, 10:47   #36
BHPian

Delhi-Shimla - A small query!

Hello,

We are planning to hit the highway - from Delhi to Shimla on 15th Aug. The route is pretty much clear to me, except the following few doubts which have been raised by people known to me -

1. There are numerous speed radars on-route - is this true ? if yes, then what is the speed limit on NH1(Delhi to Ambala) + NH5(ambala to Dera Bassi) + NH22 (Dera Bassi to Shimla) ?

2. Which route is better in terms of potholes and drive condition - from Kumarhatti should we take the old NH22 or the newer road (MDR9 I think?) - both these roads reach Solan.

3. Most important - are private cars allowed to carry roof carriers ? Someone told me that they are not allowed in Punjab + Himachal, and only commercial vehicles are allowed to do so !! I found it very hard to believe!

Finally, let me know if this route is OK -
Delhi > Murthal > Panipat > Karnal > Shabad > Ambala > Dera Bassi > Zeerakpur > Panchkula > Pinjaur(using the new bypass toll road to avoid Kalka) > Solan > Shimla.

Thanks in advance !
Old 13th August 2012, 12:14   #37
BHPian

Re: Delhi-Shimla - A small query!

Shimla is hometown, used to drive up monthly. Not been for a while though- here are my inputs

1. There are numerous speed radars on-route - is this true ? if yes, then what is the speed limit on NH1(Delhi to Ambala) + NH5(ambala to Dera Bassi) + NH22 (Dera Bassi to Shimla) ?
Yes, there are a growing number of speed traps set up as you approach the bigger cities - Karnal, Ambala, Chandi/ Panchkula - keep your speed at 80/90 here

2. Which route is better in terms of potholes and drive condition - from Kumarhatti should we take the old NH22 or the newer road (MDR9 I think?) - both these roads reach Solan.
The new one is wider - not sure of the state of the road though as there was some repair work being done on it last time i used it. The older route is more scenic, but narrow - i prefer this.

3. Most important - are private cars allowed to carry roof carriers ? Someone told me that they are not allowed in Punjab + Himachal, and only commercial vehicles are allowed to do so !! I found it very hard to believe!
It's fine!

Finally, let me know if this route is OK -
Delhi > Murthal > Panipat > Karnal > Shabad > Ambala > Dera Bassi > Zeerakpur > Panchkula > Pinjaur(using the new bypass toll road to avoid Kalka) > Solan > Shimla.
This is fine.

Thanks in advance ![/quote]
wanderluster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 12:27   #38
Senior - BHPian

1)There will be many traps on Delhi-Ambala stretch,just keep the needle around 85-90,speed limit is 90,the overspeeding fine is 400 bucks,they dont even ask for documents,straightway,give you a reciept.
There are no speed traps between Ambala and Zirakpur(i use this stretch 5 days a week).

2)Stick to NH-22

3)Roof Carriers are legal
Old 13th August 2012, 12:49   #39
BHPian

Thanks a lot Wanderluster and Akshay !

Guess will have to stick to 80kms speed limit - on the other hand my wife will be governing the speed needle, so I am doubtful if I'll even get a chance to speed it over.
hmm..maybe while she is dozing off
Old 13th August 2012, 13:09   #40
BHPian

Also, while crossing Ambala be careful if taking any U-turn ( for tea/food/fuel break etc). Most of them are illegal without appropriate road-signs and the Ambala police will simply impound your RC; initiating a 1 month nightmare. I have been a victim of this.
BBR_SHR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 14:34   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Hello,

We are planning to hit the highway - from Delhi to Shimla on 15th Aug. The route is pretty much clear to me, except the following few doubts which have been raised by people known to me -

Thanks in advance !

Please read the details about speed guns on the following post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2850038

1. Apart from the above link, here are exact locations:
  • After crossing (1 km approx) Mukarba Chowk - Low chances
  • Just before (500 mtrs) Narela Red Light - High chances
  • Before Murthal (2 kms approx) flyover - High Chances
  • After Samalkha flyover - HIGHEST Chances - Be in speed limit as you reach on the top of the flyover because a Tata Sumo is watching you from the LHS bushes (500 mtrs away) on main NH1, just below the tallest billborad of Indian Oil petrol pump (on LHS service lane). And you will be stopped at barrier where the left service road joins the main NH1.
These speed guns depend upon the time and the weather of the day. There are no speed guns between Ambala and Zirakpur.

Speed Limits
  • NH1 - Mukarba Chowk till Delhi Border (Singhu border) Speed limit is 70 kmph
  • NH1 - Delhi till Ambala (Pb border) - 90 kmph outside city limits and 70 kmph within city limits
2. No idea about latest road conditions after monsoon.

3. Although haven't seen any such documentary evidence but the cops do stop such 'outstation' vehicles to harass the owners and make 'quick' money. PB is the most prone area but you won't travel much within PB limits. The cops tries to issue a court challan in order to get maximum from you.

Not only roof carriers, there are lot of other rules also which helps them to make quick money like black strip on head light, first aid box, tinted glasses (now it's a rule everywhere) etc.

4. The route is fine.

Suggestions: Please start early (before 6 AM) on the 15th Aug to avoid the long weekend rush at all the toll plazas (panipat, karnal, dera bassi). There might be tight security arrangements (Independence Day at The Ridge) at Simla too till the afternoon on 15th Aug. And hope that you have hotel bookings in place because there might be heavy tourist rush out there!

All the best!

Cheers!
Irish
Old 3rd October 2013, 17:09   #42
BHPian

re: Delhi - Shimla - Manali : Route Queries

I am planning a Lucknow - Delhi - Shimla trip in the next week. Can anyone tell me about the Delhi - Ambala road condition at present? Does it offer a smooth drive in the early morning? And what is the condition of Zirakpur bypass right now?

I hope, from Kalka to Shimla via Solan is still the traditional 2-lane highway only.

Are the speed limits displayed on the highway everywhere, between Delhi and Chandigarh?

Vipin.
Old 3rd October 2013, 19:52   #43
Senior - BHPian

1. Road is good to excellent with a few under construction patches in between, especially the Karnal-Ambala Stretch.
2. From Zirakpur to Parwanoo is the new Himlayan Expressway, a dream drive. But once you approach the Timber Trail resorts the road is the traditional dual carriageway.
3. Speed limits are displayed but why do you need them? Lol. FYI its 90 kmph.
Old 9th June 2014, 13:43   #44
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

I am going to Manali through Shimla and coming back directly from Manali. Going with my wife and 4 year old daughter.

Day-1 : Gurgaon-Timbertrail-Kasauli (Night stay Kasuali)
Day-2 : Kasuali - Chail - Shimla (Night stay Shimla)
Day-3 : Shimla (Night stay Shimla)
Day-4 : Shimla-Manali (Night stay Manali)
Day-5 : Manali (with a visit to Marhi / Rohtang) (Night stay Manali)
Day-6 : Manali-Gurgaon

1. Does the itinerary look fine?
2. Any suggestions about route.
3. Is it OK to do it a humble petrol Polo? I am planning to take cab for (Marhi/Rohtang) because of parking hassles, etc. or can it also be done in Polo?
Old 9th June 2014, 15:42   #45
Senior - BHPian

Check as to whether Rohtang pass is open these days. You will get the best information at Manali Taxi stand itself.
A Polo can certainly climb up to Rohtang pass, specially a Petrol one, Maruti Omni and Ambassadors used to go there, now the road is even better.

Last edited by desertfox : 9th June 2014 at 15:43.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks