Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2013, 08:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Vizag - Tatanagar/Ranchi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Frankly I have no idea about roads in that region. I was just looking at Google maps, I notice : Raipur-Raigad-Sambhalpur-Ranchi.

Hence my questions.
Unless you area actually travelling to these areas, I suggest staying away from these reason. Unless you are a fan of Volvo, Scania and Prima trucks. Such high end trucks are common in these areas with which are filled with large mines. But these heavily loaded trucks also leave the roads in complete tatters.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 12:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

From Bhubaneswar to Ranchi,isnt this a good route-?ofcourse goes without saying-daytime travel most definitely: Bhubaneswar-Baleswar-Baripada-Bisoi-Rairangpur-Hata-Bistupur-Ranchi.A friend recently travelled this route and reports very good roads.

http://goo.gl/maps/IwaF0
Old 5th July 2013, 12:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
From Bhubaneswar to Ranchi,isnt this a good route-?ofcourse goes without saying-daytime travel most definitely: Bhubaneswar-Baleswar-Baripada-Bisoi-Rairangpur-Hata-Bistupur-Ranchi.A friend recently travelled this route and reports very good roads.

http://goo.gl/maps/IwaF0
This is actually the best route to go to Jamshedpur, and has much better roads as well. But the issue will be crossing Jamshedpur town itself. Traffic in Jamshedpur town is very erratic and has some pretty narrow sections which can get jammed up pretty badly. The main NH takes you right outside Jamshedpur town without having to enter into it.

Overall on the journey to Ranchi, you may as well take the main NH33. Though this is probably an option none the less.

Also though this route has pretty good roads, the Jharkhand side has quite a few pretty nasty speed breakers.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 13:56   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
This is actually the best route to go to Jamshedpur, and has much better roads as well. But the issue will be crossing Jamshedpur town itself. Traffic in Jamshedpur town is very erratic and has some pretty narrow sections which can get jammed up pretty badly. The main NH takes you right outside Jamshedpur town without having to enter into it.

Overall on the journey to Ranchi, you may as well take the main NH33. Though this is probably an option none the less.

Also though this route has pretty good roads, the Jharkhand side has quite a few pretty nasty speed breakers.
The traffic inside Jamshedpur city is nothing in comparison to Dhanbad. Apart from just a few stretches, if given a choice, Jamshedpur option is much preferred.
However, do know that the roads just after Jamshedpur (when going towards Ranchi-NH/33) is in pretty sorry state for about 7-8 kms. Agreed that there is not too many options here, but the key is to watch for those lunar scapes there, keep patience and drive accordingly. The road ahead is more or less okay but narrow with high shoulders off the ground. Hence, best driven sedately in this stretch at most parts.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 5th July 2013 at 14:03.
Old 28th July 2013, 23:39   #20
BHPian

I too would be driving to Ranchi next month. Till now, my planning is to follow BLR-HYD-NGP-RAI-RNC. Here much have been discussed about the other route. I am not sure about roads in and after Orissa. I have heard that police at state border create problem (Orissa police). Is that true?
And road from Kharagpur to Tata was full of potholes, about 5-6 years back. How is the present condition.
In Nagpur route, roads upto Nagpur are good. No idea about roads from Nagpur to Raipur. But after that, roads are narrow. Road condition at Chhatisgarh Jharkhand border are very bad sometimes.
As per my plan, I would like to cover the journey in 3 days.
Day 1- Bangalore to Hyderabad(stay at any hotel in Hyderabad)
Day 2- Hyderabad to Raipur (Hotel stay at Raipur for a night)
Day 3- Raipur to Ranchi
And to make things complex, I am travelling with my pet dog. So getting a hotel wont be an easy task.
Old 29th July 2013, 06:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozzlering View Post
As per my plan, I would like to cover the journey in 3 days.
Day 1- Bangalore to Hyderabad(stay at any hotel in Hyderabad)
Day 2- Hyderabad to Raipur (Hotel stay at Raipur for a night)
Day 3- Raipur to Ranchi
In this plan, roads upto Raipur are good. Please elaborate on the route of Raipur-Ranchi. Whatever it be, I am not sure there is any route where you are likely to get predominantly good roads.

By going via Nagpur and Raipur instead of via Vizag and Bhubaneswar, I think you will end up substituting 200kms of by roads with 500kms of equally bad roads.

And the so called "issues" at Odisha border posts is pretty much a thing of the past. And anyway, that was happening only at the Laxmannath WB-OD border and nowhere else, but you wont need to go via that border post at all.
Old 29th July 2013, 07:47   #22
BHPian

Roads from Raipur to Ranchi are mostly bad. If the roads have been repaired recently, they would be good, Else not good, as mostly would be 2 lane at max.
Can you help me with Bhubaneshwar Ranchi route, if you have any idea about that.
I should be able to finalise by today, as I need to arrange for hotels too.
I feel roads upto Bhubaneshwar should be good.
In case I chose to take this new route, my itinerary should be
Day 1 Bangalore to Rajamundry (hotel stay)
Day 2 Rajamundry to Bhubaneshwar (hotel stay)
Day 3 Bhubaneshwar to Ranchi

Any idea about hotel at theses places. As I mentioned before, getting hotel wont be easy, as I am travelling with my pet dog.

Last edited by nozzlering : 29th July 2013 at 07:54.
Old 29th July 2013, 08:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozzlering View Post
Roads from Raipur to Ranchi are mostly bad. If the roads have been repaired recently, they would be good, Else not good, as mostly would be 2 lane at max.
Can you help me with Bhubaneshwar Ranchi route, if you have any idea about that.
I should be able to finalise by today, as I need to arrange for hotels too.
I feel roads upto Bhubaneshwar should be good.
In case I chose to take this new route, my itinerary should be
Day 1 Bangalore to Rajamundry (hotel stay)
Day 2 Rajamundry to Bhubaneshwar (hotel stay)
Day 3 Bhubaneshwar to Ranchi

Any idea about hotel at theses places. As I mentioned before, getting hotel wont be easy, as I am travelling with my pet dog.
There are two routes you may take from Bhubaneswar to Ranchi.

1. http://goo.gl/maps/xK0Mj

This is the standard route between the two towns.

Bhubaneswar to Balasore is part of GQ. Though six laning work is going on for the first 60kms, roads are very good in this section, it should take you about 2.5-3hours.

After Balasore you take the non-GQ part of NH5 and hit NH6 before the WB-OD-JH border checkpost at Jamsola before leaving NH6 onto NH33 towards Ranchi. NH5 is in very good condition though still 2-lane. NH33 on the other hand is still pretty bad. Some sections of this road has pretty big potholes. This last 200 odd kms you have to do carefully, and should take you about 4 to 4.5 hours time.

Overall driving time between Bhubaneswar to Ranchi is about 8-9 hours.

2. http://goo.gl/maps/oHbCq

This is the alternate route via Rairangpur. Its pretty much the same, but avoids a part of NH33 between Baharagora and Jamshedpur. But this route will also need you to drive right through Jamshedpur town. The after Balasore, and upto Jamshedpur you will see pretty decent 2-lane highways. But dont expect to find any decent places to stop and eat anywhere on this route, as it passes thorough only rural areas, and is not a major highway. Travel times should be largely similar in this route as well.

In both cases, you should leave Bhubaneswar early enough so as to reach Ranchi by 5-6pm.

As for hotels in Bhubaneswar, there are many good hotels in Bhubaneswar, but I have no idea regarding their pet policy.

Last edited by julupani : 29th July 2013 at 08:18.
Old 28th September 2013, 13:40   #24
BHPian

Bangalore-Jamshedpur

Am reviving an old thread. A colleague of mine is planning to do a bangalore to jamshedpur starting 20th november. He has requested me to post this on his behalf. Am posting his mail to me:
If any one from TeamBHP is also doing the same time then we can sync up and move together.
I will starting on 20 Nov.
-->I will be travelling in my Jeep
--> as per plan is
Day1-- 20 nov start from office 3:00pm stay near tirupati
Day2-21 nov start 3:30 AM to sirkakulam(with breaks)
Day3-22 nov Srikakulam to Jamshedpur via balasore.

If anyone is interested, please PM me.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 21st February 2014, 12:17   #25
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Planning of doing a road trip to my home town for a long time. So here it is I want to do it during the holi time and there is a wedding to be attended in Patna around the same time. I would be driving from Bangalore to Ranchi via Vizag & Bhubaneshwar/Puri (starting March 1st). And then head on to Patna after few days (March 6th). Make a short trip to Muzzafarpur on 8th March. I will be back to Ranchi on March 10th. Then head on to Dhanbad on March 18th. Then head back to Bangalore (via Kharagpur if its safe).

Please let me know if this is doable. Best route options; stay option enroute any good eateries.

I know there are few travelogues on similar route and I will try to go through them this weekend. But any initial pointers will go a long way in planning this trip in a comparatively shorter time. My ride will be my XUV and co riders will be my wife and 1 yr old kid.

Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 14:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Hi Guys,

Planning of doing a road trip to my home town for a long time. So here it is I want to do it during the holi time and there is a wedding to be attended in Patna around the same time. I would be driving from Bangalore to Ranchi via Vizag & Bhubaneshwar/Puri (starting March 1st). And then head on to Patna after few days (March 6th). Make a short trip to Muzzafarpur on 8th March. I will be back to Ranchi on March 10th. Then head on to Dhanbad on March 18th. Then head back to Bangalore (via Kharagpur if its safe).

Thanks
I have traveled Bangalore - Tata - Giridih - Patna - Benaras - Nagpur - Banagalore back in 2012.
My next trip is in end of April may be. Still deciding.

Your trip is completely doable provided you take ample breaks in-between. You can plan first day break at Vizag. Second day at Puri(if you want to visit temple) or Bhubneshwar and third day you will reach Ranchi.

But, the road in Jharkhand post Bahragora is very bad and even. It has got big craters. It took 3.5 hours for me to reach Adityapur from Bahragora last time. Also, I got mugged by Orrisa Traffic department for Rs. 1000 as state tax at OR - JH border. Beware of them at border.

Yes, your return journey plan is good, if you stick to GQ. Dhanbad -> Kolkata -> Bangalore (or Dhanbad-> Raniganj -> NH 60 -> Kharagpur -> Bangalore).

There are not much eateries available along the route. There is BP Ghar dhaba at Ongole. Keep ample food & water for contingencies in car. However, there are smaller dhabas are there in between mostly for truck drivers.

My plan is little aggressive to reach Giridih in as fast as possible.
Start Bangalore around 8 PM -> Halt at Vizag (12 PM next day) -> Start again 8 PM -> Reach Giridih 12 PM next day.

Also, your travel plan within JH and BR is fine and there is no issue with roads.

Last edited by anujmishra : 21st February 2014 at 14:26.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 22:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Hi Guys,

Please let me know if this is doable. Best route options; stay option enroute any good eateries.

I know there are few travelogues on similar route and I will try to go through them this weekend. But any initial pointers will go a long way in planning this trip in a comparatively shorter time. My ride will be my XUV and co riders will be my wife and 1 yr old kid.

Thanks
I would suggest a different route from Cuttack - take the NH42 via Dhenkenal, Talcher, Pallahara, Barkote & Banki to Rourkela & then from there via Simdega & Khunti to Ranchi, good roads all along. But do not expect any facilities beyond petrol pumps.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 13:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I would suggest a different route from Cuttack - take the NH42 via Dhenkenal, Talcher, Pallahara, Barkote & Banki to Rourkela & then from there via Simdega & Khunti to Ranchi, good roads all along. But do not expect any facilities beyond petrol pumps.
I have traveled this route in 2012 when we went to Rourkela for some official work. We did not get reservation in trains to Bhubneshwar and hired Scorpios instead to reach Bhubneshwar.

Yes, roads are good, less traffic, but there are absolutely no facility. You cannot maintain high speed in these roads. As I remember this road crosses some forest also some big power plant in between.
Old 8th March 2015, 12:50   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Sir, what is the present road condition of the above quoted route? Would you be able to guide me please?
I need to make a quick road trip to Patna, and my usual route of NH5 & NH2 might be a tad too long since I do not have enough leaves. Also, the NH7 route updates dissuade me from taking it beyond Nagpur. Had taken this route in 2011, and it was a bad experience. Also, I do not see much progress as per the posts thereafter.
Looking forward to your advise - My start date from Bangalore is 2nd April.

Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 18:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingWheels View Post
Sir, what is the present road condition of the above quoted route? Would you be able to guide me please?
I need to make a quick road trip to Patna, and my usual route of NH5 & NH2 might be a tad too long since I do not have enough leaves. Also, the NH7 route updates dissuade me from taking it beyond Nagpur. Had taken this route in 2011, and it was a bad experience. Also, I do not see much progress as per the posts thereafter.
Looking forward to your advise - My start date from Bangalore is 2nd April.

Thanks
Last update was that the road continued to be good
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks