Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2008, 11:15   #1
BHPian

Help decide non-crowded destination close to Delhi !!

Hey Guys,

Please suggest destination close to Delhi for a short trip. I'll start on Oct 4, Sat morning ( 6 am ) and have to return on Monday Eve by 4 pm.

1. I want to know about a place which is away from the crowded tourist destinations like Shimla, Nainital, Mussoorie, etc.

2. It shouldn't be too far away. It should be doable in max of 7 hrs.

3. Roads should be decent. I don't expect them to great this time of the year but it should be ok.

I was deciding on for Mukteshwar. Please suggest how is the place and what is a good hotel to stay there. I'm looking at 2N/3D package in range of 4.5-5K or room only ranging from 1.5-2K/ night.

Any suggestions about the other destination that you all think is worth a visit in this scenario is welcome.

Naman
Old 22nd September 2008, 11:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Lansdowne. Book the KMVN TRH in advance.

What you would get are decent views, good environs, PEACE, and quiet. It is devoid of tourists - so devoid it can get a bit boring!

It only has some 25-30 hotel rooms in all in the town!
Old 22nd September 2008, 18:37   #3
BHPian

Hmm, Lansdowne is a nice option as well.

Hey NCR guys, where are you all. Need inputs .

Naman
Old 22nd September 2008, 19:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

Chakrata? Its 100kms from Dehradun and pretty isolated. Should not take more than 8 hours I think.
Other than that you can go to Nahan(Renuka lake).

Other option is Chamba near Mussourie. Its a 1 hour drive from Mussourie, but since its on a different route travel time is same as Mussourie.
you can stay at classic hilltop resort there, pretty isolated and hardly any crowds.
Old 22nd September 2008, 19:26   #5
BHPian

Re:

Lansdowne. you can check out Fairydale. quite decent and not expensive either.
But do enquire about the weather in the hills. its been raining and landslides are common.
Old 22nd September 2008, 19:31   #6
BHPian

What abt Chail, small hill station and very less crowded.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...eethearts.html
Old 22nd September 2008, 22:42   #7
BHPian

Guys, nice suggestions.

@tsk : Don't you think Chakrata would be a little too far off. IMO 8 hrs would be min, if I don't encounter any jams and all. Otherwise, it seems to be a really worth it place.

This time around want to drive less and want it to be a little more relaxed drive ( Moderate speeds enjoying the scenery and roads ). Please let me know what all is there in Chamba and how are the roads.

@phamilyman,maven : With Lansdowne, the roads are not good ( me thinks ).

@shakensoul : Already have been to Chail couple of times.

Again what you guys think of Mukteshwar.

1. I heard its a scenic spot with good forests and views of the Himalayas.
2. I guess Oct start will be clear enough for panoramic views of the great mountains.
3. Roads are also very good till Hapur and after Moradabad. Via the Kaladhungi should take at max 7 hrs.

Pour in your suggestions.

Last edited by naman : 22nd September 2008 at 22:43.
Old 23rd September 2008, 04:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naman View Post
Again what you guys think of Mukteshwar.

1. I heard its a scenic spot with good forests and views of the Himalayas.
2. I guess Oct start will be clear enough for panoramic views of the great mountains.
3. Roads are also very good till Hapur and after Moradabad. Via the Kaladhungi should take at max 7 hrs.

Pour in your suggestions.
Best place you can visit close to Nainital region :-) Also visit Gagar/Ramgarh, and do take the road from Gagar to reach Mukteshwar - that is truly grand (steep valleys), beautiful scenery and if the weather is right and you are going before 12PM, you'll suddenly see the snow peaks appearing as you climb up the ghat roads.
@ Mukteshwar - 150 deg panorama of the Greater Himalayan snow peaks starting from 0 deg (peaks across the border in Nepal).

In Gagar, I stayed many years back in Hotel Roop Kumaon also with great view of the snow peaks right from your cottage :-)

~6-7 hours sounds right. When we drove back starting early in the morning at 6AM, reached before noon @ East Delhi.

Cheers
Old 23rd September 2008, 07:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

try kanatal (terraces) - do a google.

lansdowne wasnt bad at all last dec. now god knows!
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:09   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Chakrata?
I doubt whether roads will be open at this time. Last 30 KMs pass through a national park, and during rainy season these roads are closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Other option is Chamba near Mussourie. Its a 1 hour drive from Mussourie, but since its on a different route travel time is same as Mussourie.
you can stay at classic hilltop resort there, pretty isolated and hardly any crowds.
IMO, Kanatal and Dhanaulti are better options. Chamba is a crowded town, and is not recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Lansdowne. you can check out Fairydale. quite decent and not expensive either.
But do enquire about the weather in the hills. its been raining and landslides are common.
Lansdowne is a little, beautiful hill town. But accommodation is very limited due to Garhwal regimental laws. Fairydale is a good option, confirm with them before going there.

Mukteshwar is also a nice little place. The best place to stay is PWD guest house, GMVN guest house comes a close second.

\N
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:20   #11
Team-BHP Support

Another place I recommend is Binsar. Its just 2 hours drive from Nainital.
But book in advance. Great place if your idea of fun is lonelyness. It does not get lonlier than binsar. No electricity at night, only candlelight
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:48   #12
BHPian

If you are looking at Mukteshwar check out Himalayan Village Sonapani. I have stayed there a few time and have found it to be one of the most hospitable places in the hills not to mention a beautiful vista view of the Himalayas. Its about 20kms short of Mukteshwar. URL is himalayan village sonapani
Old 23rd September 2008, 14:10   #13
BHPian

Hmm, so many options in the great Himalayas. So this time have finalized on Mukteshwar.

Reason : Never been to that place before, known and better roads w.r.t Mussoorie side ( been to nainital ) meaning faster travel and good weather in first week of Oct. Maybe by then the rain would have receded and weather would be clear as well. Am on a time crunch and want to make it as relaxed as possible.

@ tsk : No electricity, that's scary . Will plan for that place sometime later.

@ ntomer : Kanatal is for next time as well. Want to stay in Kanatal Spa and resorts.

@rmonie : Sonapani looks nice. What discounts can I get on the rates mentioned on the website. Site says no phone in the room. Does Airtel Network work or not ??

I generally don't like booking in advance because sometimes program changes last minute and also sometimes the place turns out to be not to the liking ( however, this gets ruled out this time as you have been there )

What are the other decent options to stay in and around Mukteshwar for 2 nights and what sorts of discount can I expect this time of the year.

Naman

Last edited by naman : 23rd September 2008 at 14:12.
Old 24th September 2008, 12:10   #14
BHPian

People, more hotels around Mukteshwar !! Hasn't anyone been there recently.
Old 24th September 2008, 12:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naman View Post
What are the other decent options to stay in and around Mukteshwar for 2 nights and what sorts of discount can I expect this time of the year.
Montain trail and Red roof are good options. The time you are planning to go is a long week-end and half of Delhi will be there, so you can forget about any discounts :-(

When you are there, do visit the PWD guest house, it's a beautiful old bungalow with magnificent views. GMVN guest house is located bang opposite PWD bungalow and is a good option. You can book it from GMVN web site.

\N

Last edited by ntomer : 24th September 2008 at 12:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks