Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2017, 09:04   #16
BHPian

re: Mumbai-Alibaug! Route and Accommodation?

Dear Friends,

Have booked Sans Souci Villa, Awas Saswane Road, near Kihim Beach from 19th Oct to 21st October through AirBNB.

I'll be travelling with my wife, in-laws and doggie in my Honda BRV CVT. Kindly suggest best route from Mumbai. Google Maps suggest 3 1/2 hrs for the 104 Kms distance.
Old 16th December 2017, 12:11   #17

Mumbai-Alibag Road Condition

Bhp-ians, I am driving with family from Mumbai to Alibag at the end of the month with family. On account of back pain, wanted to know the road condition - I'd heard that the roads were rutted and murder for the back. Any recent experiences? Any alternate routes that are suggested?
Old 26th April 2018, 13:01   #18
BHPian

Re: Mumbai-Alibaug! Route and Accommodation?

I am planning to do Ahmedabad-Alibaug this weekend. Can anyone please suggest the preferred route & condition of the roads?
Old 1st May 2018, 08:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
I am planning to do Ahmedabad-Alibaug this weekend. Can anyone please suggest the preferred route & condition of the roads?

Ahmedabad -- Vadodara -- Surat -- Mumbai -- Khalapur -- Pen -- Alibaug.

Butter smooth roads with lot of truck till Mumbai.

Bypassing Mumbai via Thane.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/19.0...!4e1!3e0?hl=en

Once you leave expressway at Khalapur, its a 2 lane road till Alibaug. Road condition is good but you will face heavy truck traffic and rash driving.
Who_are_you is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 21:04   #20
BHPian

Hello all,

Just did a Bombay - Alibaug - Bombay trip on the 26/27 of May. I had taken the NH 48 and NH66 out of Bombay.

As far as the widening work of the NH66 is concerned, things are okish till the NH66 meets the Pen bypass. Till that point one would be transitioning a lot from dual carriage-ways to single carriage-ways. But the journey is smooth, as long as there is no major accident or diversion. However, once the NH66 meets the Pen bypass, its a complete mess; literally a free for all. Poor lane discipline results in complete chaos. All these traffic conditions in this area are somehow not visible in Google Maps. Things look deceptively calm.

A suggestion, be careful if you decide to go 'off roading' in your 2WDs by choosing a shortcut through the lanes that are still being built around this area. Lots of loose gravel results in extremely poor traction. The situation becomes even worse if there is an incline or some very deep ruts.

Cheers!

Last edited by Flanker99 : 27th May 2018 at 21:06.
Flanker99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 19:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hey everyone,

Will be driving down to Alibaug for a 02 night stay with family. Last post above by Flanker99 was in May 2018.

Anyone travelled recently who can update on current road conditions?
Old 26th November 2019, 17:04   #22
BHPian

I am driving to Kashid beach this weekend.

Google maps shows two routes, one via NH66 to Pen and another route, though little longer, via Expressway- Khapoli Exit to Pen

Can anybody provide the latest update regarding route conditions?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 26th November 2019 at 17:18. Reason: line spacing
Old 26th November 2019, 17:37   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTitan47 View Post
Google maps shows two routes, one via NH66 to Pen and another route, though little longer, via Expressway- Khapoli Exit to Pen
Both roads merge just before Pen on NH17(66)
Till Pen, roads are awesome. Expect traffic on NH66 though. However, it more than makes up for the additional road one encounters from khalapur exit till NH66.

Coming to the main section, Pen to Wadkhal is riddled with lots of potholes and huge amount of traffic. So, it's irritating to say the least. About 10-15kms takes almost an hour on most days. The road is improving every week though. Beyond Wadkhal, it's smooth sailing as far as the road condition goes, expect heavy traffic, albeit moving one.
Old 7th December 2019, 10:08   #24
BHPian

Anyone know when the RoRo ferry service is starting?
Old 3rd January 2020, 17:33   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTitan47 View Post
I am driving to Kashid beach this weekend.

Can anybody provide the latest update regarding route conditions?
Did you finally travel? Please update us on which route you took and your experience with road conditions, traffic, etc.
Old 5th January 2020, 15:22   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
Did you finally travel? Please update us on which route you took and your experience with road conditions, traffic, etc.
Unfortunately I could not go, however my friend did travel.

He took NH66 route and had nothing to complain about. He found most of the road stretch decent and some stretches manageable. No advantage in expressway route, paying toll and driving extra.
Old 8th February 2021, 21:06   #27
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Has anybody taken this route recently? While going will be taking the Ro-Ro ferry & while coming back on Tuesday there are no ferries, so will have no choice but to drive back! Will be starting from Alibaug at around 4pm.
Old 16th July 2021, 18:56   #28
BHPian

Hi,
We went to Alibaug from Andheri (Mumbai) on 8th of July and came back on 11th.
We had booked Roro ferry for the onwards as well as the return journey.

Onwards Journey to Alibaug: Took Roro, it was on time and dropped us at Mandwa jetty by 1.00pm. Had some small eats at the Flamboyant. Roro was good but the fun element of a drive was clearly missing.

Stay: We stayed at the Radisson. As this was meant to be a very relaxed holiday and with Covid restrictions we avoided Air BNBs . Stay was pleasant and relaxing.

Return Journey: We weren't sure of the road conditions but while having our breakfast on a heavily clouded morning of 11th we checked the map for Andheri from Alibaug. It showed just 2.5hrs and we decided to take the plunge and ditched Roro. Road condition was superb and with minimal traffic till Navi Mumbai.

Point to be noted: I think Police was checking vehicles entering Alibaug for Covid reports hence a long que of vehicles while the way going towards Mumbai was clear. Hence wid suggest going by Roro and coming back by road if the same conditions prevail.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai-Alibaug! Route and Accommodation?-img_20210710_193907.jpg  

Mumbai-Alibaug! Route and Accommodation?-img_20210709_183904.jpg  

Shanks_Jazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 11:38   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks_Jazz View Post
Hi,
....We weren't sure of the road conditions but while having our breakfast on a heavily clouded morning of 11th we checked the map for Andheri from Alibaug. It showed just 2.5hrs and we decided to take the plunge and ditched Roro. Road condition was superb and with minimal traffic till Navi Mumbai.....Hence wid suggest going by Roro and coming back by road if the same conditions prevail.
Bumping up an old thread. We are planning to travel for a weekend to Alibaug / Kashid / Murud from Navi Mumbai and while the onward travel is definitely going to be via the Ferry due to popular demand, i was wondering whether it makes sense to travel back by road to Navi Mumbai via Pen and Vadhkal Naka.

It will surely be a shorter trip by road, but any inputs from members who may have recently travelled in this direction and can shed light on the road conditions would be very useful.
Old 28th February 2022, 11:43   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Bumping up an old thread. We are planning to travel for a weekend to Alibaug / Kashid / Murud from Navi Mumbai and while the onward travel is definitely going to be via the Ferry due to popular demand, i was wondering whether it makes sense to travel back by road to Navi Mumbai via Pen and Vadhkal Naka.

It will surely be a shorter trip by road, but any inputs from members who may have recently travelled in this direction and can shed light on the road conditions would be very useful.
IMO going by the Ferry for the experience of it and coming back by Road makes sense as Roads are in decent condition and SoBo to Suburbs anyway takes a lot of time in traffic which can be well spent otherwise on roads lined up with trees.
Shanks_Jazz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks