Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2022, 16:18   #31
BHPian

Re: Mumbai-Alibaug! Route and Accommodation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Bumping up an old thread. We are planning to travel for a weekend to Alibaug / Kashid / Murud from Navi Mumbai and while the onward travel is definitely going to be via the Ferry due to popular demand, i was wondering whether it makes sense to travel back by road to Navi Mumbai via Pen and Vadhkal Naka.

It will surely be a shorter trip by road, but any inputs from members who may have recently travelled in this direction and can shed light on the road conditions would be very useful.
Just last week I did the one way RO RO ferry trip from Bhaucha Dhakka to Mandva and returned back to Mumbai by road. RO Ro ferry trip is ok for one of its kind experience. Within an hour you reach at Mandva where you can enjoy boat deck bar in the middle of sea. Other than this nothing great about it. The road condition is improved a lot now.
sandeepsc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 22:44   #32
BHPian

Bumping this thread again. I live in Borivali and we (wife insisting) are planning a weekend (single night) to Alibaug. I did check the RoRo but feel it is expensive and also I am not keen on traveling to SoBo. Most importantly, we are new drivers and my 2 week old car (Grand i10 Nios) has only run about 60 Kms till now in Borivali area.

For someone like us (myself, wife and 2 Kids), should we do a Alibaug drive? How are the roads for newbies like me? I personally feel confident driving car but asking from perspective of someone who hasn't travelled on WEH still.

I personally have insisted my wife to let us first drive around Mumbai, like go to Ikea Navi Mumbai or so and such to get feel of driving around and when I feel more confident, I can drive further. I am not sure if driving 3+ hours one way is something I can do.

PS: I have driven straight 6-8 Hours (small halts) in US but that is a different ball game and all driving there is on Interstate.
Old 3rd April 2022, 13:26   #33
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I am not sure if driving 3+ hours one way is something I can do.
Since its an overnight stay, suggest you take the Ro-Ro ferry while coming back if its a Sunday. I drove back from Alibaug to Malad last February on a weekday. Roads were much better than I thought, though there were quite a few speed breakers. You only encounter traffic in Mumbai. For people from western suburbs, I feel Ro-Ro ferry is convenient if one wants to avoid the stress of driving close to 4hrs!
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 18:26   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Bumping this thread again. I live in Borivali and we (wife insisting) are planning a weekend (single night) to Alibaug. I did check the RoRo but feel it is expensive and also I am not keen on traveling to SoBo. Most importantly, we are new drivers and my 2 week old car (Grand i10 Nios) has only run about 60 Kms till now in Borivali area.

For someone like us (myself, wife and 2 Kids), should we do a Alibaug drive? How are the roads for newbies like me? I personally feel confident driving car but asking from perspective of someone who hasn't travelled on WEH still.
We traveled to Alibaug a few weeks back and took the road from Navi Mumbai to Alibaug, but took the M2M ferry on the way back. The way I see it, going by the ferry is a no brainer, even for us folks who are from Navi Mumbai! While the majority of the roads are good, we faced the following issues, the turn off to Alibaug after Pen from the highway is poorly marked and easily missed, traffic at the Vadhkal Naka was bad and extremely unruly and congested till we crossed the JSW Dolvi Plant and the roads leading from Vadhkal Naka to the Plant were being resurfaced and were in a pathetic condition. Though this was a small section, about 4-5 kms before and after which roads are good, I feel travelling by the ferry is a much better option, especially if you are in any case apprehensive driving for long hours.

Last edited by PGNarain : 3rd April 2022 at 18:27.
PGNarain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 15:14   #35
Senior - BHPian

Planning to drive to Alibaug coming weekend. I have heard traffic gets bad at Vadhkal Naka when there is a shift change at JSW plant.

Any idea at what approx time is the shift change at JSW plant??

So I can plan my drive accordingly.
Old 22nd September 2022, 23:14   #36
BHPian

Mumbai To Alibaugh

I am travelling from Mumbai to Alibaug on the 29th so which is better ferry from Bhaucha Dhakka to Mandva jetty or driving. What is the road condition after the rainy season? Suggestions please.

* One way trip in ferry by car with us two people the cost is @ Rs1980/-.
Old 23rd September 2022, 00:19   #37
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mumbai To Alibaugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMerchant View Post
I am travelling from Mumbai to Alibaug on the 29th so which is better ferry from Bhaucha Dhakka to Mandva jetty or driving. What is the road condition after the rainy season? Suggestions please.
I think this would also depend greatly on where in Mumbai you're leaving from, and where in Alibaug your final destination is -- in terms of the additional time you have to factor in.

If you haven't taken the RoRo before, it's an interesting experience.

Just try not to be in the last 20% of cars to go onboard, as if the car deck is full, they send you & your car to the lower-deck, which is very cramped.
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 07:53   #38
BHPian

Re: Mumbai To Alibaugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I think this would also depend greatly on where in Mumbai you're leaving from, and where in Alibaug your final destination is -- in terms of the additional time you have to factor in.

If you haven't taken the RoRo before, it's an interesting experience.

Just try not to be in the last 20% of cars to go onboard, as if the car deck is full, they send you & your car to the lower-deck, which is very cramped.
Leaving from Khar(W) and final destination is Mirana Resort. About 110 Kms so with my car giving FE of about 14kmpl in city driving the petrol cost works out to @ Rs1100.00.
As per Google Maps if I leave at 07.00 hrs mostly time to reach is about 2 hrs 40 mins.

As for the RoRo have done Bhavnagar to Surat.
ACMerchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 19:03   #39
BHPian

So finally after asking my query one year back (Mumbai-Alibaug! Route and Accommodation?), I made the trip to Alibag last weekend and here are few points from my end.
  • Travelled from Borivali to a hotel on the Alibaug-Revas Road. Left home at 8:30 AM and reached by 12 PM. No halts in between but I drive sedated as we are new drivers.
  • My brother had warned me about it that there is a small and surprising cut on the highway that one needs to take to get off the highway and take a small road. To make sure I don't get lost, I put this location in google maps first and then added a stop for my final destination / hotel.
  • Majority of the road, except the one from the above mentioned location to hotel was comparatively bad as it is single lane (with no divider) which scares me a little to be honest as we are not very experienced drivers.
  • JNPT road was so awesome to drive on. Very very wide and 80 Kmph speed.
  • Internal roads of Alibag are bad as expected. None of the speed breakers are marked and all of them are small and of substantial height so if you went fast, your car will literally fly off. People will walk on road like they own it so have to make sure I don't crash in them.
raksrules is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks