Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2008, 13:46   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
@hvkumar :sir ,I am not sure about that.but in newspapers in malayalam they said old aluva-munnar road via pooyamkutty.

There is a small waterfall there in Saadivayal near siruvani called "Kovai Kuttalam" which attracts all folks from coimbatore city.
Now - I researched about this route during those years but cannot visit siruvani dam as it needs special permission from Coimbatore collector etc.
Aluva-Pooyamkutty-Munnar road sounds exciting. We must research and find out more.

Been to Kovai Kuttalam, which is/was open to public but the road via Siruvani Dam AFAIK was always closed to public unless one gets forest department permission. That region is lovely. You are right about the route, it borders Silent Valley and goes to Mannarkad from Coimbatore like the other route via Attapady.
Old 3rd November 2008, 14:46   #62
Senior - BHPian

^yes.it is almost near to silent valley.in 2001 or so ,there was this rumor of "veerappan" hiding in boluvampatti forest range. .
--
2 months back .I entered "thavalam" enroute to Attapadi with my family in our M800.time was around 6.30 AM.and I neglected the warning of others about "koda"(thick fog) and proceeded after the chowka.then was the surprise!nothing can be seen zilch.and then the warning by some Muslim Ostad's in bike saying "beware of Elephents" .panic waves.somehow rode upto thavalam.The fog existed upto 10.30AM!.

PS:this is the route to Silent Valley.
Sorry if this turned offtopic.
EDIT:
@hvkumar: I found something in the line reg Kothamangalam-Pollachi route. it is a hill way if implemented for sure.
The route :
Kothamangalam-bhoothathankettu-Vazhachal-Parambikulam-valpara(true?)-Pollaci .
I will quote from the source :
Quote:
The development of Kakkanad
Thankalam road, Nedumbassery
Kodaikanal road, Kollam Sabarimala
road, Coimbatore Pollachi,
Parambikkulam vazhachal and
Bhoothathan kettu Sabarimala
will be
taken up this year.
The bold portion sounds like it is part of eastern hill way.
see the source:
http://www.kerala.gov.in/keralacallmay07/pg35-36.pdf

The so called Kakkanad-Thankalam(kothamangalam) road will suppose to reduce the distance between ernakulam city and kothamangalam as 35kms(too true to believe -current distance is 55kms !).

Last edited by deepclutch : 3rd November 2008 at 15:00.
Old 3rd November 2008, 14:54   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2 months back .I entered "thavalam" enroute to Attapadi with my family in our M800.time was around 6.30 AM.
PS:this is the route to Silent Valley.
Sorry if this turned offtopic.
Thadakam, I thought.
Old 3rd November 2008, 15:02   #64
Senior - BHPian

oh! I EDITED THE POST.please check the original post
Old 11th November 2008, 10:11   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv View Post
Have you tried the Cochin-Ankamaly-Ezhattumugham-Athirappally-Peringalkuthu-Valpara-Pollachi-Cbe route? It is a very scenic way throughout. And the distance also comparable to the trissur-palakkad route. I am not very sure about the road conditions now. The road till peringalkuthu was good 2 months before.
This is the most enchanting route among all - through Thick forests. Its risky to travel after 5PM (Valparai - Athirappilli), also be prepared some adventures (But would be interesting). Its a great road for bikers!
Old 11th November 2008, 22:32   #66
rippergeo

Quote:
So , There was this route from Kozhikode(calicut) to Coimbatore many years back via siruvani.

Anyone knows the reason why they closed this route?even rumors that there was bus services to calicut through this route decades back acc. to local tamil-kannadiga mixed lingo people.
I was told that this route was closed because of smuggling and other illegal activities.

now that I know there are 2 more routes to CBE, I feel like going on another drive, my brother has very helpfully left his Endy in my care
Cochin BHPians....anyone game?

Old 9th July 2015, 18:48   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cochin to Coimbatore- Road Condition

I will be travelling from Coimbatore to Cochin in a couple of days. Can someone please confirm the current road condition?
Old 9th July 2015, 21:41   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cochin to Coimbatore- Road Condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
I will be travelling from Coimbatore to Cochin in a couple of days. Can someone please confirm the current road condition?
Coimbatore to Wayalar is patchy/bad. Walayar to Vadakkanchery 4 Laning has been almost fully completed and is a smooth drive. Not sure from there to Thrissur. Was in decent condition, but not sure if it has gone bad with the rains. Thrissur-Cochin is again 4 Lane and will be a smooth drive. Traffic will be on the higher side.

The last few pages of the 'All Roads to Kerala' thread has some more info.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks