BHPian

re: Guwahati to Delhi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurust View Post
Day 1) Guwahati - Siliguri
Day 2) Siliguri - Gorakhpur
Day 3) Gorakhpur - Gurgaon

Is it too farfetched??
If you depart early from Siliguri, you can easily reach Lucknow rather than halting at Gorakhpur. From Lucknow/Gorakhpur, go via Kanpur and get on the NH2 and enjoy the mighty YEW. It's an experience in itself especially for us, lesser mortals, from the North East. Keep in mind though that if you cross Kanpur post 9AM, you'll be stuck for longer periods in traffic. I would leave/cross Lucknow in the wee hours (3AM) to be able to cross Kanpur by 5AM and get on the elevated bypass.

Which route would you be taking for Guwahati-Siliguri? Which vehicle (sorry if I missed you mentioning the vehicle you would be using for this journey)?

Last edited by SumitB : 8th January 2016 at 05:37.
Old 8th January 2016, 07:54   #17
J.Ravi

Quote:
any idea about the Guwahati-Siliguri road conditions via NH 31?
Here was my experience in April 2015. I found the route via Goalpara bypass>Abhayapuri> Bongaigaon>Shrirampur> Hasimara>PowerGrid Vidyutnagar>Bagdogra was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Which vehicle
Quote:
my Figo

Last edited by J.Ravi : 8th January 2016 at 08:08.

Old 8th January 2016, 08:29   #18
BHPian

Many people here and elsewhere suggest that the Bongaigaon-Srirampur route be taken. Surprisingly, my experience on this route has been so bad that I shudder to even think about it. To each, his own.

However, if I were to do Guwahati-Siliguri, I would take Goalpara Bypass-North Sialmara-Abhyapuri-Chapar-Gauripur and enter WB via Tufanganj. Then take Cooch Behar Bypass-Falakata-Birpara-Malbazar-Sevoke and then enter Siliguri. Agreed, one does come across a small bad stretch around Cooch Behar but that is nothing compared to the uncertainty in the BLT areas around Bongaigaon.

I have personally taken the route I have mentioned above n number of times and on many occasions, have done this route in the middle of the night without any untoward incident. However, as I said above, to each, his own.
SumitB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 10:29   #19
BHPian

Guwahati- siliguri is a piece of cake. Good roads all the way.Stick to nh31C . When I drove down in november, I started from guwahati at 6 and reached siliguri at 2.30 for lunch. Was in a nano.
you can stop at kishenganj or purnea for the night as well instead of siliguri if you like.
pyrodrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 11:15   #20
BHPian

Thanks pyrodrive, could you elaborate the route?
Old 8th January 2016, 12:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks pyrodrive, could you elaborate the route?
Guwahati-rangiya-nalbari-barpeta-bongaigaon, kokrajhar- gossaigaon- srirampur gate -uttar kamakhyaguri- hashimara- binnaguri- chalsa, malbazar- damdim- coronation bridge- sevoke- siliguri- islampur- kishenganj- dalkhola- purnea.

This was possible in a day's drive that too in nano. ( We did it in return leg from kolkata)
About the road to siliguri, except few culverts and small patches at barpeta and kokrajhar, road is excellant.
There are two right turns to be taken..one is somewhere after barpeta, and another is near binnaguri. Rest of the road is pretty straight and you just follow the road.
I have crossed srirampur gate a dozen times but never got stuck in any bad jams, partly because I always reach there around midday. Trick is to avoid the truck lanes and follow local cars or lorries for the quickest way out.
All the best !
pyrodrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 20:22   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
Guwahati-rangiya-nalbari-barpeta-bongaigaon, kokrajhar- gossaigaon- srirampur gate -uttar kamakhyaguri- hashimara- binnaguri- chalsa, malbazar- damdim- coronation bridge- sevoke- siliguri- islampur- kishenganj- dalkhola- purnea.

This was possible in a day's drive that too in nano. ( We did it in return leg from kolkata)
About the road to siliguri, except few culverts and small patches at barpeta and kokrajhar, road is excellant.
Pyrodrive, thanks again.
When was the last time you visited this section of road ? just to get an idea ?
Old 8th January 2016, 21:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Pyrodrive, thanks again.
When was the last time you visited this section of road ? just to get an idea ?
Less than two months ago.
Old 9th January 2016, 09:09   #24
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 9th January 2016 at 10:40.
blurust is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd August 2017, 22:54   #25
BHPian

I am planning a trip from Delhi to Guwahati mid August 2017 by Etios. I am wel aware of the route till Lucknow. Beyond Siliguri / Jalpaiguri till Guwahati I am comfortable. My doubt revolves around route and road condition from Lucknow to Gorakhpur to Siliguri / Jalpaiguri. Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 4th September 2017, 14:15   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrodrive View Post
Guwahati- siliguri is a piece of cake. Good roads all the way.Stick to nh31C . When I drove down in november, I started from guwahati at 6 and reached siliguri at 2.30 for lunch. Was in a nano.
you can stop at kishenganj or purnea for the night as well instead of siliguri if you like.
Hi there, I am planing to drive to Shillong sometime in November from Darjeeling. So I just wanted your advice. I have driven to Bhutan last year so basically I have driven upto Hasimara in W.B via Coronation Bridge(Sevoke) route. Can you give me a route suggestion from then on please till Guwahati/Shillong.

Also is it possible to say reach Shillong in one day if I start early from Siliguri?
Any suggestion and advice would be of great help. Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 08:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Hi there, I am planing to drive to Shillong sometime in November from Darjeeling. So I just wanted your advice. I have driven to Bhutan last year so basically I have driven upto Hasimara in W.B via Coronation Bridge(Sevoke) route. Can you give me a route suggestion from then on please till Guwahati/Shillong.

Also is it possible to say reach Shillong in one day if I start early from Siliguri?
Any suggestion and advice would be of great help. Thanks

Sorry for the late reply.
If you have driven to hashimara, you dont need any road suggestion, just follow the NH31 all the way to guwahati. Anyway I will give you a practical outline: The 4 lane highway will start from around 50-60 kms after hashimara and will continue all the way till guwahati and shillong.
Srirampur gate will take you 1-1.5 hrs from hashimara, but no hassles there now after GST. After you enter Assam it is almost straight road, except for one left turn( you will come to a large junction about 100 kms after crossing srirampur) ,take the left turn there. From here to guwahati is around 200 kms. After you cross the saraighat bridge in guwahati outskirts, keep on the NH( dont enter guwahati city) and keep going till you reach zorabat where you take the right turn and hit the shillong road, it is a toll road now and is just 80kms to your destination.
Siliguri to shillong is a good one day drive. Will be approx 12-13 hours including stops.
Old 2nd April 2019, 12:20   #28
BHPian

What is the best route for Lucknow to Siliguri? I am aware of conditions up to Kushinagar. But beyond that, I have no clues. Is it wise to take the East-West corridor all the way or is it longer? Is there any better alternative?
Old 2nd April 2019, 12:58   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
What is the best route for Lucknow to Siliguri? Is it wise to take the East-West corridor all the way or is it longer? Is there any better alternative?
It is the only sane option as far as I know. Stick with E-W corridor, has good roads, has presence of fuel pumps and is safe in general.
Old 2nd April 2019, 22:48   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
It is the only sane option as far as I know. Stick with E-W corridor, has good roads, has presence of fuel pumps and is safe in general.
Thanks! So, after Muzaffarpur, will it be touching Darbhanga, Purnea and Kishanganj? Is that the route? The Google maps show this route to Siliguri.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks