Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2008, 08:45   #1
BHPian

Guwahati to Delhi : Route Queries

Hi guys

I am planning burn some tarmac during this diwali (if i find decent tarmac on that route), just last month i drove from Hyderabad to Guwahati, now i am planning to take a trip to Delhi from Guwahati, the road distance says around 1800km, but can someone guide me as to how the road condition is and where to expect what and which all places to halt. I feel this should be a 3 day trip (of course depending on the road condition).
Old 16th October 2008, 09:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

I guess North Bihar route (NH31 ??) is washed away. It is better you come on NH34 till Moregram. Turn right on NH60 for Darjeeling More and onto NH2
1) Guwahati - Siliguri - Malda - Moregram
2) Moregram - Siuri - Panagarh (DarjeelingMore)
3) Panagarh - Durgapur - NH2 - Delhi

I guess hvkumar will soon come up with a better plan.

BTW, How was from Hyd - Guwahati trip? How about sharing a travelogue and some pics? I am really eager to know the timelines you executed the trip

Abhi
Old 16th October 2008, 10:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think Abhi's plan is the best - no point in taking the shortest route via Dalkola, Purnea, Begusarai, etc. I would stick to the NH34 till Moregram (although there are some bad sections, it is finite and safe), and take the fabulous NH2 all the way to Delhi from Panagarh.

Looks like a 3-4-day drive, since you may have to halt at some place in North Bengal (Malda?) and somewhere after Varanasi (Allahabad)
Old 21st October 2008, 10:30   #4
BHPian

Thanks guys for the info, so it means the bad roads are only till i reach NH2

Abhi, i will be posting the travelogue from Hyderabad- Guwahati in about few days time, just not able to find time, it is interesting trust me, can you believe we drove continuously for 35 hours, well b'cause of a traffic jam, that was gruelling, more about it in the thread
Old 20th November 2015, 13:54   #5
BHPian

re: Guwahati to Delhi : Route Queries

Note from Support: Please do not cross-post the same queries between threads. All your posts have been moved here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I think Abhi's plan is the best - no point in taking the shortest route via Dalkola, Purnea, Begusarai, etc. I would stick to the NH34 till Moregram (although there are some bad sections, it is finite and safe), and take the fabulous NH2 all the way to Delhi from Panagarh.

Looks like a 3-4-day drive, since you may have to halt at some place in North Bengal (Malda?) and somewhere after Varanasi (Allahabad)
Dear all,

I am shifting my base from Guwahati to Delhi (Gurgaon).
I am planning to take my car, basically do a drive from Guwahati to Delhi.
Two reasons for this - One I love my car too much to sell it off here, plus its only two years old (Ford Figo old gen, diesel Titanium ) and second, I will be taking along my dog with me.
This also means I don't trust any movers and packers for my car and I dont like the idea of dogs being kept into the cargo bay, with a lot of horror stories already documented on the world wide web.

Tentative date is 20th January 2016, for the departure.
From what i understand, It will be a 3 day trip.
I will have my dog and our driver with me.

I would like an update on the route, quickest and safest and maybe if possible the best hotels, preferably on the highway to spend the night.

Thanks a lot in advance for helping me out.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th January 2016 at 06:48. Reason: See note. Post edited. Please run a spell-check & use proper grammar for better readability.
Old 20th November 2015, 14:36   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurust View Post
Dear all,

I am shifting my base from Guwahati to Delhi(gurgaon).
I am planning to take my car.
From what i understand, It will be a 3 day trip.
I will have my dog and our driver with me.

I would like an update on the route, quickest and safest and maybe if possible the best hotels, preferably on the highway to spend the night.

Thanks a lot in advance for helping me out.
I think your main worry is till you get on to the NH2.
After that it is smooth sailing, also there is a detailed thread regarding NH2 travel in this forum, road, hotels etc. Go through that.
Now, getting to NH2- there are numerous options here. On my drive from guwahati to kolkota and back in tata nano a couple weeks back, I used the following route:
guwahati-NH31-31c/srirampur gate/ hasimara/chalsa/coronation bridge/sevoke/siliguri/kishanganj/ dalkhola/ purnea ( leave NH31 here) / bhagalpur/ amarpur/ banka/ deoghar/ dumka/ bolpur/ burdwan.
Got up onto NH2 in burdwan, at around 5 pm of day2.
Roads are ok, except between purnea and bhagalpur( after exiting NH31) and around banka.
On return journey , took the same route and halted at purnea. Purnea to guwahati took us 16 hours ( but then a figo is a lot faster than a nano
All the best for your drive.
pyrodrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 15:39   #7
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 21st November 2015 at 11:56.
SX4LOVER is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th January 2016, 22:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

^^^
E-W highway from Dalkhola/ Purnea, via Gorakhpur.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 6th January 2016, 22:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

No need to go to NH 2. E-W highway is complete and fun to drive. Stick to the North Bank all the way.
Old 7th January 2016, 09:32   #10
Team-BHP Support

Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 in Full Detail

Quote:
I am travelling with my wife and our dog.
Mostly looking at hotels right on the highway.
I don't plan to travel at night.
Please advise if this route is okay for day travelling with a lady and hotels are safe or not?
I would appreciate the help a lot.
Thanks.
Hi!

I do not think there are issues with travelling with females on-board just that you need to exercise some caution associated with travelling with females.

Few links which might be of help

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ays-ghats.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...tte-rules.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...t-driving.html

I have traveled with a lady from Lucknow to Purnia. Had started at 12 noon from Lucknow and managed to reach Purnia late at night because had to take too many breaks.

I am more worried about your pet, I do not think hotels are going to accommodate your pet. Please verify this prior to proceeding.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 09:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi!

I do not think there are issues with travelling with females on-board just that you need to exercise some caution associated with travelling with females.

Few links which might be of help

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ays-ghats.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...tte-rules.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...t-driving.html

I have traveled with a lady from Lucknow to Purnia. Had started at 12 noon from Lucknow and managed to reach Purnia late at night because had to take too many breaks.

I am more worried about your pet, I do not think hotels are going to accommodate your pet. Please verify this prior to proceeding.

Hi Sheel,

Thanks for the reply.
I have already checked with two hotels.
Hotel golden park at Malda and hotel saket as recommended by GTO here in civil lines Allahabad.
They said it's fine by them
I just hope the roads are decent for my figo so that we can reach our set destinations on the decided dates.
I just need someone here, who can probably let me know the current road conditions of this route and possibly the best route. It will be a huge help.
Old 7th January 2016, 09:54   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Sheel,

Thanks for the reply.
I have already checked with two hotels.
Hotel golden park at Malda and hotel saket as recommended by GTO here in civil lines Allahabad.
They said it's fine by them
I just hope the roads are decent for my figo so that we can reach our set destinations on the decided dates.
I just need someone here, who can probably let me know the current road conditions of this route and possibly the best route. It will be a huge help.
I am sorry, but why are you taking the Malda route as well as Allahabad?

The straight & simple route would be Guwahati - Siliguri [4 lanes start, unsure of road conditions earlier] - Purnia - Muzaffarpur - Gopalgunj - Gorakhpur - Lucknow - Kanpur - Agra - YEW - Delhi

But if there are other interests than taking the Malda/Allahabad route is understandable. But be prepared for not very good roads.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 10:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I am sorry, but why are you taking the Malda route as well as Allahabad?

The straight & simple route would be Guwahati - Siliguri [4 lanes start, unsure of road conditions earlier] - Purnia - Muzaffarpur - Gopalgunj - Gorakhpur - Lucknow - Kanpur - Agra - YEW - Delhi

But if there are other interests than taking the Malda/Allahabad route is understandable. But be prepared for not very good roads.
I don't know and hence this route, no interest in Malda and Allahabad as such.
I'm shifting base from Guwahati to gurgaon and my primary motive is to get me baby(pet) safely home.
Is it all four lane ??
Old 7th January 2016, 17:59   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is it all four lane ??
I have done close to 1000kms on the EW corridor. Save for Gopalgunj's bad roads, most of the roads are good.

Have done Siliguri - Lucknow. Siliguri - Purnia & further Purnia - Muz is home run. I keep doing these route/s.
Old 7th January 2016, 23:19   #15
BHPian

Note from Support: Please do not cross-post the same queries between threads. All your posts have been moved here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
No need to go to NH 2. E-W highway is complete and fun to drive. Stick to the North Bank all the way.
Thanks a lot sir, Sir is it completed now.. Even on Wikipedia.. Gopalganj is mention as the ditch pitch.
Is it okay now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
E-W highway from Dalkhola/ Purnea, via Gorakhpur.

Regards
Sutripta
Thanks sutripta sir, when I Google this route it shows some construction work near narpatganj.. Also I heard Gopalganj is pretty bad generally, any news about this part. If it has craters my Figo can't handle I might have to take a detour if available. Please guide Sir.
Also sir any idea about the Guwahati-Siliguri road conditions via NH 31?

Quote:
I have done close to 1000kms on the EW corridor. Save for Gopalgunj's bad roads, most of the roads are good.

Have done Siliguri - Lucknow. Siliguri - Purnia & further Purnia - Muz is home run. I keep doing these route/s.
Thank you Sheel Sir, I appreciate the help.

So if everyone is suggesting this corridor
My itinerary (new) will be

Day 1) Guwahati - Siliguri
Day 2) Siliguri - Gorakhpur
Day 3) Gorakhpur - Gurgaon

Is it too farfetched??

Last edited by aah78 : 8th January 2016 at 06:49. Reason: See note.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks