Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2008, 18:22   #1
BHPian

Mysore-HD Kote-Mananthavady - Any update?

I traveled this leg couple of years back and road was practically non-existent (especially the forest stretch). I heard many a times in the last couple of years that this road is being re-done.

Anybody has any update? I need to drive upto Manathavady on Saturday to visit a relative and have been taking the Gudlepet-Sulthan Bathery route during my previous trips. Want to try the HD Kote route if roads are good.

Regards
Rex
Old 21st October 2008, 18:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

The road upto the Nagarhole Park entrance is done, but beyond that has been stopped because of environmental objections (rightly so), last heard that road is practically non-existent after the check post beyond the Karapura turn-off. Better option if you would not mind the bad sections near Kutta is to take the Srirangapatna - Hunsur - Murkal - Nagarhole - Kutta - Tholpetty - Mananthavady route. The best option has to be Mysore - Gundlupet - Bathery - Mananthavady.

This post gives the latest update http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1013820

Cheers

Srikanth
Old 22nd October 2008, 14:22   #3
BHPian

Thanks Shrikanth!
From the recker_us tavelogue, it looks like the Bavali-Karapura stretch is still bad.

I think I will stick to the Bathery route for now.

Regards
Rex
Old 29th June 2009, 15:41   #4
BHPian

I travel between Bangalore-Manathavady at least once in a month. Except Kutta-Tholpetty 2KM strech, rest of the distance is pretty descent. Last Saturday, Reached Manathavady in flat 5 hrs with 20 Min break. Started at 5:15 Bangalore and 10:15 reached Manathawady. Route

BTM Layout-Kanakapura Road-NICE Road-Mysore Road-Srirangapatna(Take Right towards Ranganathittu) Staright to Hunsur Road-NagarHole-Kutta-Tholpetty-Manathawady. Only issue with this route is that it available between 6AM-6PM only.
Old 29th June 2009, 23:44   #5
BHPian

For the recent update on the Mysore - HD Kote - Manathawadi road, please see the post -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1347012-post248.html

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 30th June 2009, 06:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Rajesh KSRTC buses go via Karapura the left just before the gate goes to Karapura directly is that the deviation you are talking or is it a new deviation.
Old 30th June 2009, 11:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Today's Malayala Manorama in Bangalore talks about discussions between Kerala & Karanatake of opening Mysore - Mananthavady road after 6 PM for all except truck traffic (It is not the Bandipur road that was in highlight recentl). It is not clear from the report whether it is Nagerhole --> Kutta stretch or the non existent HD Kotte--> Bavelli road
Old 1st July 2009, 12:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Rajesh KSRTC buses go via Karapura the left just before the gate goes to Karapura directly is that the deviation you are talking or is it a new deviation.
@pypkmsrikanth, Looks this is a new deviation as the Gate is temporarily closed for completing the construction. Only construction vehicles are allowed in side through this gate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Today's Malayala Manorama in Bangalore talks about discussions between Kerala & Karanatake of opening Mysore - Mananthavady road after 6 PM for all except truck traffic (It is not the Bandipur road that was in highlight recentl). It is not clear from the report whether it is Nagerhole --> Kutta stretch or the non existent HD Kotte--> Bavelli road
@gadadhar, I think its regarding the HD Kote - Bavali road only. So once the construction is completed, we can start using this. Currently, the stretch close to Bavali is completely ruined.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 21st February 2014, 18:12   #9
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mysore-HD Kote-Mananthavady - Any update?

What is the state of Mysore-Mananthavady-Kalpetta route right now?
Old 22nd February 2014, 18:03   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Here are two pointers:

Aditya had driven on this route some time back.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3346961

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3345987

I myself drove till Handpost last weekend. Nice road till there.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 03:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Mysore-Mananthavady is about 95% good now. You only have a 5-8 km stretch of unfinished but levelled road between HD Kote and Bavalli, which is OK because there are not potholes on that stretch - its just a gravel track that is level.

Mananthavady - Kalpetta is excellent.

I travelled on this route in early February.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2014, 08:21   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I myself drove till Handpost last weekend. Nice road till there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Mysore-Mananthavady is about 95% good now. You only have a 5-8 km stretch of unfinished but levelled road between HD Kote and Bavalli, which is OK because there are not potholes on that stretch - its just a gravel track that is level.
Thanks guys, I was already in Wayanad by the time I read it. Therefore I took the Gundupet route when I went. However, based on these reports I could take the Mananthavady route on the way back.

I was at a resort in Pozhuthana, therefore this route saved me quite a distance.

In the Grand Vitara I could maintain 40-50kms even on the bad stretch. Here is the entire video of the stretch. If you want to see how sedans had to do this stretch, look at 10:00 position of the video.

Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 15:49   #13
BANNED

I am planning a bangalore - tirunelly temple trip. I have identified 4 routes. Need your help choosing which one -

(1) bangalore - mysore - hunsur - nagarhole - kutta - tholpetty - tirunelli
(2) bangalore - mysore - hunsur - gonikkoppa - kutta - tholpetty - tirunelli
(3) bangalore - mysore - handpost (near HD kote) - kattikulam (just before mananthavady) - tirunelli
(4) bangalore - mysore - gundlupet - bathery - kattikulam (just before mananthavady) - tirunelli

(1) and (3) are of roughly same distance , (2) is longer by 25-30 km, (4) is longer by 55-60 km.

Since I will be driving a sedan (rapid), MY ONLY PRIORITY IS KINDER ROAD SURFACE - where I am able to do 40-50 kmph with least amount of potholes.

regarding (3), any latest updates on the current road condition b/w "handpost" and "kattikulam" ?

Appreciate your help.
Old 8th May 2023, 09:04   #14
BHPian

Drove back from Wayanad to Bengaluru via Mananthavady-Kattikulam-Bavali-HD Kote-Mysuru.
Roads inside Kerala are smooth and awesome.

Bavali to Udbur checkpost - A distance of about 20kms. Roads are narrow and broken badly for about 16kms from Bavali. Large potholes, craters. Need to take many of them is very slow speeds. The shoulders are 5-6 inches below and rough. So getting one set of tyres off the road for giving way to opposite side vehicles is tricky. Only the last 3/4 kms to Udbur checkpost is good and smooth.

Udbur checkpost to HD Kote handpost junction is as usual wide and smooth.

Overall advice is to avoid this route due to the torturous stretch inside the forest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks