Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2008, 19:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

You can go to Kadampuzha from Perinthalmanna if you take the Gundulpet-Gudalur-Nilambur route.

As Rex has observed, turn off NH47 at Angamali (after Chalakudy, before Aluva) and go via Kalady, Perumbavoor and Muvattupuzha to Thodupuzha.

I presume you will halt at Guruvayoor en route, in which case post-darshan, it will be difficult to reach Thodupuzha the same day. If you go through non-stop, reaching Thodupuzha should be OK, assuming you leave eraly in the morning and drive on till late evening.

I think Srikanth had reported post-rains that the Chamarajnagar-Gunduplet route is in good condition, but I would prefer to take the Mysore road and go via Mysore to Gundulpet, which will be faster.

I would ideally plan my trip as follows:

5 am - leave Bangalore
8 am - cross Mysore bypass
930 am - Gundulpet, Pug Marks restaurant for breakfast
11 am - Gudalur
12 noon - Nilambur
1 pm - Perinthalmanna
2 pm - Edappal, KTDC reataurant for lunch (roads between Perinthalmanna and Edappal-Kunnamkulam were in bad condition a few weeks ago)
330 pm - Cross Trissur town, assuming you skip Guruvayoor
500 pm - Turn off NH47 at Angamali
700 pm - Reach Thodupuzha

Be prepared for some twisty ghat roads in Gudalur-Nilambur section
Navigate Trissur town with care, keep asking to go to Ernakulam/ Cochin road, when going through town. Coming from Kunnamkulam, there is no Trissur bypass.
Roads are narrow between Angamali and Perumbavoor.
Old 23rd October 2008, 21:06   #17

Thank You Mr.Kumar

Dear Mr.Kumar,
Your knowledge is encyclopedic . You seem to know every single nook and corner of India. Thanks for your expertise and your posts are the main reason for my taking interest in this forum[Could you please answer my query in my Adilbad-VSKP post?]. How much more time will it take to go via Bangalore[Koramangala] to Silk Board-Banashankari bus stand-Kanakapura-Chamarajanagara-Gundulpeta with and following your route as compared to Bangalore-Mysore bypass-Gundulpet and the route you have given with the same 500AM start? Is the road so bad that it is unnavigable via the location described to skip TCR from Perithamanila? This is to take a chance at darshan at Guruvayoor?
How can one head to TDPZA via Kadampuhza from Nilambur with the 500AM departure plan outlined?
Thanks again
Best Regads
Hathras_Jhansi
Old 24th October 2008, 09:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

I think the fastest route is via the Mysore road, it being a good 4-lane road. I am not sure how much longer it will take if you go via Kanakapura and Kollegala, but may fair guess would be at least 1 hour more. Keeping in view the long journey you have to make, I would go on the Mysore road.

The road from Perinthalmanna to Edappal-Kunnamkulam is bad, but you can go to Trissur direct via Pattambi. Your reaching THodupuzha the same day hinges on whether there are crowds there (possibilities that there will be heavy crowds).

My suggestion would be that you cover Guruvayoor on your way back, by taking either NH47 to Trissur (via Angamali, Chalakudy) and then direct to Guruvayoor, or alternatively if you are coming from Thodupuzha via Ernakula, come via Paravur, Kodungallur (opportunity to have darshan at the Bhagavathi Temple there) and Chavakkad to Guruvayoor, and then taking the Edappal, Kuttipuram, Calicut road to return to Bangalore via Kalpetta, Sultan's Battery and Gunduplet.

From Nilambur, you can connect to Kadampuzha via Perinthalmanna, but remember that Kerala temples are closed in the afternoon and if you reach there after 12, the temple is likely to be closed till 4-5.
Old 24th October 2008, 10:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

guruvayoor to thodupuzha distance via thrissur is ~125kms.
north paravur to thodupuzha - 69kms.
Old 24th October 2008, 13:17   #20

Thanks so much I remain fascinated by knowledge of members. Just for the record what is the route from Mysore-Hunsur-Irupu Falls-.....-TDPZA? Thanks
Old 24th October 2008, 13:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hathras_jhansi View Post
Thanks so much I remain fascinated by knowledge of members. Just for the record what is the route from Mysore-Hunsur-Irupu Falls-.....-TDPZA? Thanks
The ideal route from there would be to go from Iruppu Falls to Kutta and cross over to Kerala. Go via Kartikulam, Mananthavady and join the Bangalore-Gundulpet-Calicut road at Kalpetta. From there you can proceed to Calicut and take NH17 via Edappal. On the other hand, if you wish to go to Nilambur, from Kalpetta take the road to Meppadi and join the Gudalur-Nilambur road 11 kms short of Gudalur.
Old 24th October 2008, 14:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hathras_jhansi View Post
. If we left Bangalore [Koramaabgala to be precise and reached the Banashankari temple in 45 minutes when could we reach TDPZA with the above route in mind and taking the Kanakapura-Chamarajanagar -Gundulpet route? How is the Chamarajanagara Gundulpet route? .
The road between Kanakapura to Chamrajnagar are bad in most places, especially between Malavali & Kollegal. I would suggest you stick to the Mysore road, what you could do is, take the Kanakapura road from Banashankari temple until you reach the NICE Corridor intersection, from here you switch over to the NICE Corridor which will take you to Mysore road straight and would save you a lot of time. Once you are on Mysore Road its a breeze.
Old 4th April 2009, 23:22   #23
BHPian

Hello hathras,

Which route did you finally take? I have to visit a hospital in Edappal, Mallapuram..
Please give me an update on the present condition of the roads, total distance etc.,

Will be very grateful,
Warm regards and Thanks in advance..
Old 12th June 2009, 16:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
The road between Kanakapura to Chamrajnagar are bad in most places, especially between Malavali & Kollegal. I would suggest you stick to the Mysore road, what you could do is, take the Kanakapura road from Banashankari temple until you reach the NICE Corridor intersection, from here you switch over to the NICE Corridor which will take you to Mysore road straight and would save you a lot of time. Once you are on Mysore Road its a breeze.

Wanted to travel kollegal. Which is the best route from Bangalore? Do I need to take left turn as I go from Chennai on Silk Board Junction or I need to go over the fly over?
Old 3rd June 2013, 22:36   #25
BHPian

Aternate Route between Gundulpet and Bangalore

Hi Friends,

My recent trips back on the Mysore-Bangalore SH17 (especially on Sunday evenings ) has been quite painful, with jams/accidents/town traffic etc spoiling the last leg of (otherwise) enjoyable holidays.

Gundulpet-Chamarajnagar-Kollegal-Kanakpura-Bangalore, seems to be a good alternate option, to beat the above torture !

Can someone please update the forum , on the current condition of the Guldulpet-Chamarajnagar stretch ? I am sure the NH 209 from Chamarajnagar to Bangalore will be decent.

Regards,

Venu
Old 4th June 2013, 03:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: Aternate Route between Gundulpet and Bangalore

The stretch between Gundlupet and Chamarajanagar is in reasonable condition and driveable. Sometimes it is easy to get stuck behind trucks and auto's which will be irritating.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 07:24   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPVEN View Post
Gundulpet-Chamarajnagar-Kollegal-Kanakpura-Bangalore, seems to be a good alternate option, to beat the above torture !

Here are the threads for you. This topic has been discussed in great detail. Just to answer, NH209 and Chamarajnagar-Gundlupet is seen as the alternative to Mysore road for people heading to Ooty/Waynad; if they are OK forgoing the hotels on Mysore road.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-query-16.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...re-sunday.html
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 09:38   #28
BHPian

The easier alternative is Mysore-Bannur-Malavalli-Kanakpura route. I did this route yesterday, and except for a few potholes, it is a smooth drive.

Shyam
shyamk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 09:42   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamk View Post
The easier alternative is Mysore-Bannur-Malavalli-Kanakpura route. I did this route yesterday, and except for a few potholes, it is a smooth drive.

Shyam
I think he is looking to bypass Mysore. Thats why the reference to Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 09:51   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think he is looking to bypass Mysore. Thats why the reference to Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet.
Yes, the road to Bannur starts from the ring road in Mysore. He would have to cross Nanjangud however !

Here is the link - https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=Ka...OzH45cizJ1keDQ

Shyam

PS: Somehow, google maps would'nt shorten the link for me !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks