Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2008, 20:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay2233 View Post
The road from tindivanam to pondycherrry is pothole ridden , narrow and lots of villages. Cannot reach good speeds.Watch out for cattle!.No Idea how the roads are after these rains . any updates after the rains???
What's the condition of the ECR post the rains? We will be making the journey during the day (- Kids love the sea) - so guess visibility will not be an issue.
Old 12th December 2008, 20:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

yeah, the road from tindivanam to pondy is quite pot hole ridden, i agree.but chennai to tindivanam is really very good.

ECR shouldnt be in a much damaged condition because there are not many places where water runs over the road in the ECR. One more thing regarding the ECR is the sea will not be visible throughout but only in some select patchs.

Last edited by badboyscad : 12th December 2008 at 21:02.
Old 13th December 2008, 13:23   #18
BHPian

Ecr

ECR is in good condition! Went to pondycherry only this morning and am back! good road ! one must watch out for the bends and turns ! the road is a scenic beauty when you drive in medium speeds say between 70 and 90!
the stretch from pondycherry toll gate to pondycherry state entrance is nearly a straight road with less habitation and can do oversppeding there !

once after pondycherry the road looks like 4 lane but vehicles coming from pondycherry use this side of road as some patchwork is on!
also the road narrows down suddenly !

Chennai to mahabalipuram will be heavy traffic in weekdays ! watchout for traffic police men between city tollgate and muttukadu boathouse!
after that you can accelerate till then maintain normal speeds.

chennai to mahabs is beach view and from mahabs to pondy there is plenty of greenery and a backwater before marakkanam! simply breathtaking view during evening sunset when the creek brims with water!

happy driving!!!!
Old 13th December 2008, 14:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay2233 View Post
ECR is in good condition!.... happy driving!!!!

Thanks a lot Ajay! So that part of the journey is taken care of!

Now to figure out how to get back to Cbe from Pondy - Any views on what would be the best route to take - post the rains that is!
Old 15th December 2008, 14:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Best route is Pondy - Thiruvanamalai - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Thoppur - Mettur - Ammapettai - Sathy - Coimbatore.

I'm not very sure about Uthangarai - Salem. Also Salem - Erode - Coimbatore is being 4 laned so that would make it very irritiating for driving.
Old 2nd January 2009, 17:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

I just did Pondy - Cudalore - Trichy - Karur - Cbe... 395kms door to door!

The stretch from Pondy thru Cudalore and Panruti till you reach the Chennai-Trichy highway is quite bumpy .. but managable. The last 5 kms stretch was totally shot up - strictly 1st/2nd gear territory. This dissuaded us from taking the Attur road. The Road to Trichy on the other hand was a fourlaned beauty (except a few places where they were bridge work was going on). We went right into Trichy - and took a right after the second longish bridge - this took us directly to the Karur road. The 75km Trichy- Karur stretch was bad - the rains had taken its toll on the roads. One could still maintain some speed (60-70 tops) - though it was like playing a video game!

The Karur- Cbe stretch was again brilliant and butter smooth!

All-in-all, its just some 30 ood kms more than the Attur - Salem- Cbe route. Just being able to avoid all the traffic on the NH47 was priceless!

Thanks everyone for all inputs!!
Old 1st October 2009, 18:14   #22
BHPian

family drive to pondy

guys planning this month to drive upto pondy and move on to chennai,

can anyone provide latest updates , how are the roads from cbe to salem , is the 4 lane done up.

i dont mind taking few extra kms not interested in adventures in this trip.

my last trip to pondy from cbe is 2 and half years back.

that was simple salem, attur, villupuram, pondy.

any good foodie places on the way opened up.
Old 21st December 2009, 09:54   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Coimbatore-Avinashi-Perunthurai-Bhavani-Salem on NH47, approximately 150 kms
Salem-Athur road for 10 kms
Salem-Harur-Uttangarai on state roads, approximately 70 kms
Uttangarai-Tiruvannamalai-Gingee-Tindivanam-Pondy, on Nh66, approximately 175 kms
Total distance approximately 400 kms

Budget for a drive time of 8-10 hours, depending on your speed and stops.
I am planning to drive this weekend to Coimbatore Via Villupuram-Salem route. Some few years back i had very bad experience with this route especially after Athur-Salem and usually avoid this route and take Krishnagiri-Thoppur route instead. But wanted to check if anyone has done a recent trip on this route (Chennai-Villupuram-Athur-Salem). Will my M800 withstand the road conditions or should i still go for my usual route (Krishnagiri-Thoppur) route. Need help
Old 21st December 2009, 12:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssengo View Post
I am planning to drive this weekend to Coimbatore Via Villupuram-Salem route. Some few years back i had very bad experience with this route especially after Athur-Salem and usually avoid this route and take Krishnagiri-Thoppur route instead. But wanted to check if anyone has done a recent trip on this route (Chennai-Villupuram-Athur-Salem). Will my M800 withstand the road conditions or should i still go for my usual route (Krishnagiri-Thoppur) route. Need help
On any day the Krishnagiri - Thoppur route is better as compared to via Salem & Athur. May be you could try coming via Sathy to save you the trouble of Coimabtore - Avinashi stretch.
Old 21st December 2009, 13:49   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
On any day the Krishnagiri - Thoppur route is better as compared to via Salem & Athur. May be you could try coming via Sathy to save you the trouble of Coimabtore - Avinashi stretch.
Yes, I agree. But i have driven 10+ times via Krishnagiri route and getting so bored as i had to do driving myself all the way till coimbatore. My plan is to explore the route via Villupuram as i heard that 4 laning has been completed in this route till salem.

Is the four laning done all the way from Villupuram to Salem? or is it only part of the stretch?
Old 21st December 2009, 17:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssengo View Post
Yes, I agree. But i have driven 10+ times via Krishnagiri route and getting so bored as i had to do driving myself all the way till coimbatore.
If that is the case I could possibly give you an alternate route which could be interesting atleast initially is Chennai - Villlupuram - Perambalur - Thuraiyur - Musiri - Karur - Coimbatore. Upto Perambalur is 4 lane after which you have some good 2 lane roads. Only problematic stretch is between Musiri & Karur where some road widening work is happening
Old 22nd December 2009, 00:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

What is the condition of the road via Attur to Salem? Any updates?
Old 30th May 2011, 22:46   #28
BHPian

re: Coimbatore - Pondicherry Route?

Guys any update on the route from coimbatore to Pondi? Am planning for a lone drive by June 2nd week. Is the attur kallakurichi stretch still miserable?
Old 30th May 2011, 22:48   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Guys any update on the route from coimbatore to Pondi? Am planning for a lone drive by June 2nd week. Is the attur kallakurichi stretch still miserable?
Check this:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2368208

Its I think fine to take that route in daytime.

CBE-Salem-Uludrupet-Villupuram-Pondy.

Last edited by ampere : 30th May 2011 at 22:49.
Old 30th May 2011, 22:53   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Check this:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2368208

Its I think fine to take that route in daytime.

CBE-Salem-Uludrupet-Tindivanam-Pondy.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed