Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2014, 01:30   #46
BHPian

Re: Coimbatore - Pondicherry Route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Looks like its worth taking SH75. It lets you bypass Tuticorin completely.
Checked that route on GM. Also shown is a cluster of coastal roads, including one that goes past Kundankulam. I suppose most of these would be narrow tracks with poor surface quality. Have seen quite a few of them while travelling between Kanyakumari & Trivandrum(by taxi) a few times. Might as well enquire with the local tourist taxi operators before leaving for Rameshwaram.

Mohan.
Old 19th April 2014, 06:47   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOHAN_99 View Post
Checked that route on GM. Also shown is a cluster of coastal roads, including one that goes past Kundankulam.
The road via Kundankulam is the same ECR. But in that region (KK-Tuticorin), I hear its not all that great. Hence the option to drive via Tirunelveli.
Old 19th April 2014, 19:44   #48
BHPian

Quote:
The road via Kundankulam is the same ECR. But in that region (KK-Tuticorin), I hear its not all that great. Hence the option to drive via Tirunelveli.
Tata motors claim the Safari to be an off-roader, so its tempting to try a little trade-off between distance and comfort.
Did the Trissur - Coimbatore stretch last May, returning from Munnar via Ooty & Mysore. It was like a swept mine field.
Hope ecr between K'kumari & T'corin is better.

Mohan.
Old 19th April 2014, 23:42   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tata motors claim the Safari to be an off-roader, so its tempting to try a little trade-off between distance and comfort.
Did the Trissur - Coimbatore stretch last May, returning from Munnar via Ooty & Mysore. It was like a swept mine field.
Hope ecr between K'kumari & T'corin is better.

Mohan.
Quite a miserable road - not only rough, but also narrow, very twisty & has lots of rumbler strips. Whichever car it is, I would hate to drive Tuticorin-Tiruchendur-Ovari-KK
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 23:53   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Quite a miserable road - not only rough, but also narrow, very twisty & has lots of rumbler strips. Whichever car it is, I would hate to drive Tuticorin-Tiruchendur-Ovari-KK
@HVKumar, it is a privilege to receive your comments. (I remember we have a mutual friend - U Mohandas.)
I did suspect that these were awful roads, but one always hopes for improvements. Thanks for your advice.

regards,

Mohan.
MOHAN_99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 23:06   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I did suspect that these were awful roads, but one always hopes for improvements. Thanks for your advice.
I think it may be worth trying the SH via Ottapidaram. If you don't want to take any risk on that front, then, take the regular NH7A.

KK-Tirunelveli-Tuticorin bypass - Sayalgudi - Ramnad - Rameshwaram.
Old 21st April 2014, 01:36   #52
BHPian

Quote:
I think it may be worth trying the SH via Ottapidaram. If you don't want to take any risk on that front, then, take the regular NH7A.

KK-Tirunelveli-Tuticorin bypass - Sayalgudi - Ramnad - Rameshwaram.
I was anyway thinking of opting for SH 75. It seems more direct and bypasses Tuticorin.

Also as seen on GM, it joins with ECR after Kulathoor. On the Tirunelveli end, the exit to SH 75 seems only about 3 - 4 kms beyond the NH 7A exit (on NH 7).

Mohan.
Old 6th November 2014, 20:10   #53
BHPian

One of the friend will be traveling to Pondi from Coimbatore this weekend. Wanted to check the best possible route.

Google shows below best possible route:
https://goo.gl/maps/L3sB7

Coimbatore - Pondicherry Route?-map.png
Old 6th November 2014, 20:33   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
One of the friend will be traveling to Pondi from Coimbatore this weekend. Wanted to check the best possible route.
Just follow the 4-lane end to end and thats it. Coimbattore-Salem-Ulundurpet-Tindivanam-Pondicherry.

Google would say get off GST (NH45) at Villupuram and take the road to Pondicherry. Instead if you go ahead all the way till Tindivanam bypass and take the NH66, you get 4-lane all the way. Its about 40km more, which he should munch in no time.

Last edited by ampere : 6th November 2014 at 20:48.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 20:47   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Just follow the 4-lane end to end thats it. Coimbattore-Salem-Ulundurpet-Tindivanam-Pondicherry.

Google would say get off GST (NH45) at Villupuram and take the road to Pondicherry. Instead if you go ahead the way till Tindivanam bypass and take the NH66, you get 4-lane all the way. Its about 40km more, which he should munch in no time.
Sure. I will pass it on.
Thanks!
Old 30th November 2019, 07:48   #56
BHPian

Hi All,

I will be driving from Pondicherry to Ooty on 19th Dec 2019 as a part of a 10 day road trip that I am starting from Mumbai.

Trip details:

Mumbai - Bangalore (1 night Stay)
Bangalore - Tindivanam (have to attend a wedding)
Tindivanam - Pondicherry (3 nights stay)
Pondicherry - Ooty (4 nights stay)
Ooty - Mysuru (1 night stay and explore whatever possible)
Mysuru - Mumbai (1 night stay in between)

The route from Mumbai to Pondicherry via Bangalore is clear to me as a lot of threads are available. However I could not find much information for route between Pondicherry to Ooty.

This is the thread I found which is a close match to my query. Since this thread looks dated , I am not sure whether the information available here are still valid (Road condition etc).

Any information regarding route, where to take break, fuel station etc would help.

Thanks
Old 30th November 2019, 09:40   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisissoumya View Post
I will be driving from Pondicherry to Ooty on 19th Dec 2019 as a part of a 10 day road trip that I am starting from Mumbai.
Pondicherry- Tindivanam - Villipuram - Ulundurpet - Salem - Avinashi - Annur - Mettupalaym - Kotagiri - Ooty.

1. Mettupalayam-Ooty can also happen via Conoor. But the one via Kotagiri is nicer.
2. You can directly go to 4-lane at Villupuram also from Pondicherry. I hear the road is narrrow. (Worth checking. Might not be that bad though). Instead you can stick to 4-lane via Tindivanam

Suggested route : link

Last edited by ampere : 2nd December 2019 at 06:54. Reason: typo fixed
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks