Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2008, 15:34   #1
BHPian

Blr to Chennai and back in 14 hours?

I have a need to go to Chennai in the coming weekend, pickup relatives from Chennai Central station (MAS) and then again come back to B'lore.

I will be taking the GQ. I need to reach MAS by 5.00 PM.

So, is it OK if I start from B'lore by 11 AM ? I mean is 6 hours enough? I will be taking the direct road to Attibele via Varthur and then proceed towards Krishnagiri. So, I dont expect to spend more than 1 hour in crossing Hosur.

Also, I need directions for reaching MAS quickly from the NH and again coming back to the NH (Incase routes are different due to oneways). I am not at all familiar with Chennai roads.

I am planning to start back from Chennai around 6 PM and reach B'lore by midnight.

I have mentioned the timelines, so that I get suggestions incase you find them too optimistic.

Thanks in Advance,
Rajat
Old 15th December 2008, 17:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yes 11AM start is ideal. You should reach Central before your time. Take the Sarjapur - Attibele road as you said, you will be past Hosur in one hour. Home - Poonamalle should not take you more than 4 hours (of nonstop driving).

I straight road from Poonamallee will take you to MAS. Dont know how much time it will take but I suggest you to send a PM to hrag and get the exact road conditions once inside Chennai city limits?

Abhi
Old 15th December 2008, 17:29   #3
BHPian

Thanks

Thanks Abhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
I suggest you to send a PM to hrag and get the exact road conditions once inside Chennai city limits?

Abhi
Sure.

I checked in Yahoo maps. See the picture attached below. It looks pretty straight forward. I need to verify it with Chennai members.

I need to service my car before this trip. I spoke to Lokesh (Surakshaa) a few hours ago and he gave me an appointment for tomorrow morning 8.30 AM.
This will be for the 20K service plus the long pending clutch replacement. He says that it will take a little more than a day.

Rajat
Attached Thumbnails
Blr to Chennai and back in 14 hours?-chennai_mas.jpg  

Old 15th December 2008, 17:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

@Rajat While the straight road via Poonamallee, Maduravayol, Koyambedu is the straight foward route to Chennai central, you might be stuck between Poonamallee & Koyambedu, so keep some buffer in mind. You could take anywhere between 1 hour to 2 hours to reach Chennai Central from Poonamallee, so your plan to reach by 5 PM after starting at 11 AM from your home could be tight depending on traffic at both ends. The return is by the same road (Poonamallee High Road) without any deviations you step out of the Chennai Central Parking lot come to the road take a U turn at the Jn. opposite the station and then continue straight without taking any turn anywhere you will reach the NH. Cheers
Old 15th December 2008, 17:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Actually Koyambedy to CENTRAL station may not take 1 hour since its weekend. But still better to factor in some margin. Anyway - Chennai railway station is a decent place where your relatives can wait if you are late. in fact its among the cleanest metro stations i have seen
Old 15th December 2008, 17:55   #6
BHPian

If it is Sunday evening then traffic between Koyambedu to Central should be ok. In case it is saturday evening be prepared to spend 1 hour for this stretch.

If your relatives are familiar with the city, they can board one of the A/C buses from Central to Airport and get down at Guindy. You can then take the Poonamalee-Mount-Guindy route to pick them up. This will prevent you from being stuck in the traffic from poonamalee to Koyambedu and also save your car from the bad roads in this stretch.
Old 15th December 2008, 18:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Take the Poonamallee bypass and then head straight as everyone suggested. The road till Koyambedu junction would be 2 lane for some parts with heavy traffic. There would be around 15 signals between Koyambedu and Central station. This is a 4 lane right through but traffic can be heavy.

I suggest you leave a little bit earlier as you don't want to rush or drive too fast to make it in time. The earlier you enter Chennai the lesser would be the amount of traffic.

You have a couple of decent eatouts inside Central station and you can take a nice break there before you head back.
Old 15th December 2008, 19:21   #8
BANNED

Where in Bangalore are you starting from? I'm assuming somewhere near Maratahalli / Whitefield since you are optimistic about reaching Hosur in 1 hour.

Mission_Safari's idea is very good provided your relatives don't have much luggage. My only other question is: how familiar are you with Chennai? My advice will depend on the answer to that.
Old 15th December 2008, 19:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

in chennai - heading to central by 5 would be fine- but are you planning on heading straight back to bangalore?
Inside the station there are several areas where you relative can wait- there are a few restaurants inside the station.

Also, if you are coming from bangalore - as suggestd take the ponamalee road, and proceed straight on ponamalee highroad which leads directly to the station.

I might also suggest a break for you if you are looking at driving back to bangalore. I suggest a relaxed drive to chennai, thus leaving you relaxed to drive back as well.
Old 15th December 2008, 20:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Where in Bangalore are you starting from? I'm assuming somewhere near Maratahalli / Whitefield since you are optimistic about reaching Hosur in 1 hour.
Hrishi, he stays in Marathahalli, hence he can do Hosur in one hour via Varthur - Sarjapur.

Abhi
Old 16th December 2008, 13:14   #11
BHPian

Thanks Guys

Thanks everyone for your prompt and detailed responses.

I plan to sit with a chennai map and understand the route that you all advised. I will mark my understanding in the map and post it here for you all to approve.

I will infact be travelling on Saturday. So, I cant really avoid the heavy traffic.

I am planning to start a bit early (around 10.30 AM) as per your advices. However, I do not plan to race against time incase there is heavy traffic beyond Poonamalee. In that case, my relatives will wait at MAS.

@Mission Safari - Unfortunately my relatives are coming to Chennai for the first time. So, they will not be comfortable in coming till Guindy.

@csentil - Thanks. I have travelled through MAS many times earlier while travelling to & fro from Howrah. So, I am a bit familiar.

@hrag - I have never ventured inside Chennai city. I only use to spend a few transit hours in MAS while travelling to Howrah. Regarding my location in B'lore, your guess is perfect.

@madan80 - My Brother-in-law will share the driving with me. So, it should not be a problem. Anyway, while returning back, it will be a relaxed drive. It doesn't matter even if we reach very late in the night.

Regards,
Rajat
Old 16th December 2008, 13:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

well ,Isnt it possible for your relatives to get down at some stations in madras outer? I visited only a handful of times madras ,and I think taambaram station is fine?
Old 16th December 2008, 14:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

98% of all trains that come to Chennai Central don't come through Tambaram. Tambaram route is for all the south bound trains. Central is for mostly north, west and north east bound trains.
Old 16th December 2008, 14:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

^thanks for the info
Old 16th December 2008, 14:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
well ,Isnt it possible for your relatives to get down at some stations in madras outer? I visited only a handful of times madras ,and I think taambaram station is fine?
Since the relatives are coming from Howrah (Coromondel Exp I guess?) which is from North, the southern most station is Chennai (MAS), and it is the best to get down.

Moreover Coromondel Exp doesnt stop anywhere between Vijayawada - Madras (atleast that was the case when I last travelled in 2002)

Rajat, I suggest you start by 12noon. It will be better for them to rest at the station rather than you reach early and wait. I really liked waiting room of Chennai (I used to wait there to catch the late bangalore train and enjoy the chennai traffic, buildings etc)
In that case you need not have to think of parking (as it get very congusted outside central), they can come at the main gate, load them in the car and drive outside the city. Then stop by at some food joint for some rest and tea etc.

Abhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks