Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2011, 14:01   #16
BHPian

Re: Recommendation for a good hotel in Aurangabad and Ahmednagar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Whats train time from nagar?
Do you really want to explore nagar attractions?
I am catching the Karnataka Express from Ahmednagar. The scheduled departure of the train is 6:30PM in the evening.

Yes, I want to visit the Ahmednagar fort. Am a fan of Nehru's Discovery of India - hence the wish to visit. That apart I want to see the Tank Museum - seems one of a kind in India with rare Nazi tanks on display.
It might interest my 3.5 year old kid as well.

Do you have any reservations regarding visiting these places?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Hotel Janaki exective.Have stayed here few times, decent place with a roof top restaurant.

Hotels In Aurangabad,Aurangabad Hotels,hotel tariff, Hotels In Aurangabad,Aurangabad Hotels

Whats your budget for Secunderabad.?
That's very helpful, Silverwood. Thanks! How far is Janaki Executive from the railway station?

For Secunderabad, I wish to stay for a night and hence my limit is Rs.2000/- for a clean double AC room.
I have zeroed down Hotel Annapoorna Residency. How is this one?
Is it close enough to the station and Paradise hotel (biryani place)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Hi Arya, i have just returned from yesterday from a road trip to Aurangabad and nearby places and was going to put up my travelogue and route info by weekend.

About your first query, Hotel Panchavati is strictly a budget hotel.
Yes, the price indicates that it's budget. But there are recommendations of this place both on T-BHP and tripadvisor. Hence, I shortlisted this one.

Quote:
Location of the hotel is very amazingly good, especially if you are driving into the city from Pune/Mumbai.
This helps since I shall not be driving down. So location is of importance.

Quote:
Also the travel desk on the ground floor if FANTASTIC. They have a good fleet of cars, which you can rent and at reasonable rates, staff is very helpful, very knowledgeable about places to visit, distances, route info, road conditions etc. If you want i can give you the contact number of the person in charge.
This is the common refrain from all visitors to this hotel - that the travel desk is awesome. Plus they have free pick-up/drop from the railway station. I shall be reaching at 4:00AM in the morning and this becomes an important criteria in that case.

Quote:
Do not expect that you can spend time lounging in here.
If you are looking ONLY for some place to sleep at night, i think Panchvati is the place for you, ...
I shall be staying for about 4 nights and want to visit all the places - Ajanta, Ellora, Lonar, Daulatabad, etc. - at leisure. Hence, won't need to spend much time at the hotel.
Lounging around can be done at a superior funky resort with nothing else to do. What say?

Quote:
I assume you are coming by train, so why don't you book yourself at the MTDC resort, which is bang opposite the Railway Station and is also in good condition, clean and large rooms.

If you can stretch your budget Hotel Vits, Aurangabad is also walking distance from the Station.
I heard/read that the MTDC place is not that clean and AC rooms are missing/don't work, staff have the typical sarkari approach. Also I don't plan to take the MTDC package tours. But if you really vouch for the cleanliness and utility of this place, I can try it out.

Regarding Hotel Vits - is it really good and clean? How about the travel desk?

Quote:
Hope the above helps, pls do get in touch with me for any further info about Aurangabad, Hotel, places to see.. or you can refer to my travelogue later this week.
Your detailed post has been of great help in getting some perspective. Thanks a ton for that!

Some regular queries -
1. Is it possible to stay at another hotel and avail the travel desk of Panchvati?
2. How long does it take to go to Ajanta from Aurangabad? Road condition?
3. How long does it take to go to Lonar from Aurangabad? Road condition? I plan to do a day trip - will it be very hectic?

Finally, looking eagerly to your travelogue.

Last edited by aryasanyal : 16th August 2011 at 14:03.
Old 16th August 2011, 14:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post
Do you have any reservations regarding visiting these places?
No problem, go ahead with your plan.
Tank museum is on karmala road, bit away from city.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 14:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That's very helpful, Silverwood. Thanks! How far is Janaki Executive from the railway station?

For Secunderabad, I wish to stay for a night and hence my limit is Rs.2000/- for a clean double AC room.
I have zeroed down Hotel Annapoorna Residency. How is this one?
Is it close enough to the station and Paradise hotel (biryani place)?
Janaki Executive is 4-5 kms from railway station, its near seven hills flyover.Pretty decent hotel for this tariff.You can negotiate on the tariff as well.

Hotel Annapoorna Residency is a very good choice, just a stones throw away from Paradise hotel and 3-4 kms from Secunderabad railway station as well.

For sightseeing, your can visit mtdc resort and book their bus service for Ajanta and Ellora.These buses start early morning and give you ample time to visit important places.

BTW-The Ajanta caves are closed on Mondays and Ellora caves on Tuesdays.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 16th August 2011 at 14:30.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 14:44   #19
BHPian

You are most welcome Arya, always here to help.

Most of the things you have asked i am going to include in my travelogue but please see the answers below for your reference.

1. Is it possible to stay at another hotel and avail the travel desk of Panchvati? - I dont think so but it is best you talk to Mr. Ashok, Mob: +91 9890340816, he is the person in charge of the travel desk and a very helpful person. You will get all the information you are looking for straight from the horses' mouth.

2. How long does it take to go to Ajanta from Aurangabad? Road condition? - Ajanta to Aurangabad is abt 100Kms. Road is single carriageway throughout and it is in a fairly good condition as of now but with the odd bad patches in between. The last 30 odd kms from Aurangabad towards Ajanta are bad/below average. Roads have deteriorated after the rains and most places the top coat of tar has washed off to reveal the stone / gravel underbelly. Highways are generally in good condition with roads deteriorating in the approaches / exits to villages/towns en route.

3. How long does it take to go to Lonar from Aurangabad? Road condition? I plan to do a day trip - will it be very hectic? - The road from Aurangabad to Lonar is again single carriageway throughout but is good condition. You will only experience bad to very bad to pathetic to no roads / 4x4 type tracks in Jalna. Again, highways are generally in good condition with roads deteriorating in the approaches / exits to villages/towns en route but this route is very scenic, especially after the monsoons. If you are driving, other than Jalna town you will thoroughly enjoy the ride.
You can do the Aurangabad - Lonar - Aurangabad in one day, provided you start early, and be back before sunset. It will be a little tight, but definitely doable and i anticipate that you will want to stop midway many times just enjoy the bounty of nature. Word of caution - DO NOT attempt the Lonar - Ajanta stretch via Buldhana - Roads are either very good or non existent.

Other than that, would like to add the following pointers.

- Do visit the Ahmednagar Fort and Cavalry Tank Museum, i missed both due to ime constraints but they should not be missed.

- Panchvati is a nice place to stay, no doubt, but do not expect too much. Location is good even if you are coming via Train. Panchvati is very close to the station, thought not walking distance abt 2-2.5kms straight down on station road just before Baba Petrol Station, also they will arrange pick-up any time of the day/night, free of charge.

- Aurangabad, i think that though a nice city does not afford 4 days at all. you will get bored, you can comprehensively cover all the points of interest you mentioned and more within a maximum of 3 days. I would suggest that you talk to Mr. Ashok, and plan your Aurangabad leg in consultation with him. He will be able to give you a clear and accurate picture of how much time you will need and where.

- Hotel Vits - VITS 4 star Business Hotel in Aurangabad - 100 Rooms Luxury Hotels in Aurangabad Near the railway station, offers luxury Accommodation India near domestic airport - It is a proper 3 or 4 star hotel. Do not know about the travel desk, i just saw the place from outside when visiting the MTDC resort to book our rooms for our forward journey.
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 14:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
For sightseeing, your can visit mtdc resort and book their bus service for Ajanta and Ellora.These buses start early morning and give you ample time to visit important places.

BTW-The Ajanta caves are closed on Mondays and Ellora caves on Tuesdays.
Thanks for the info.
I'd love to take the MTDC tours, but my main grouse with such tours is the guide:tourist ratio. Add the hanger-ons and passers-by to it and you have a huge number of tourists being serviced by a single guide.

Ajanta and Ellora are places where there are lot of finer things to see and learn from the guide and the guidebooks that I'll be referencing.
I'd rather take my own guide and visit the place at my pace.

Also the Ellora tour, if I am correct, bundles Bibi Ka Maqbara, Daulatabad fort, etc. This would leave very little time to see the caves.
I'd rather do the fort and the maqbara on another day.
Old 16th August 2011, 16:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I dont think so but it is best you talk to Mr. Ashok
Thanks for the details. I shall talk to him.

Quote:
route is very scenic, especially after the monsoons.

Word of caution - DO NOT attempt the Lonar - Ajanta stretch via Buldhana - Roads are either very good or non existent.
That's the reason I love travelling after the monsoons.

You know what, I was planning to do the Ajanta-Lonar stretch and spend the night at the MTDC Lonar. But reviews on the hygienic condition of the resort put us off. Now there's more than that reason to not do the same.

Quote:
Other than that, would like to add the following pointers.

- Do visit the Ahmednagar Fort and Cavalry Tank Museum, i missed both due to time constraints but they should not be missed.
These exact places are already in my itinerary. Thanks for reiterating the same.

Question - is it possible to arrive at Ahmednagar in the morning and cover both these places in a day before catching the train in the evening 6:30PM?
Or do you recommend arriving a day earlier and spending the night at Ahmednagar?

The rates seem to be on par with the Taj and Lemon Tree hotels. Beyond my budget allocation for this trip.
Old 16th August 2011, 16:41   #22
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Aurangabad (Ajanta - Ellora - Lonar - Daulatabad) : Route Queries

Further to your queries Arya..

There is news here. The MTDC Resort at Lonar, when we visited on this saturday past, i.e. 13th Aug 2011, was in good condition. The resort is being spruced up and renovated as we speak/type. Though we did not stay at Lonar, and since i was aware of the negative publicity surrounding the MTDC Resort, Lonar, i decided to check out the rooms and was very pleasantly surprised. The rooms/toilet condition are on par, maybe even better than what you will find at Panchvati Hotel in Aurangabad. I will be posting the review / pics of the same alongwith my travelogue.

Also, we were really famished after the trek to and from the crater, and the food / Tea / Coffee served to us at the MTDC Resort was in my personal opinion FANTASTIC. Very wholesome, fresh and exactly like home food.The staff, which i gather was from the nearby village, were very hospitable, and eager to please, though the service was slow and typically laid back.

You also have the option to stay at the PWD Guest House, just behind the MTDC Resort.

But as i said, do not attempt the Lonar - Ajanta stretch anytime soon. Road though very scenic, is badly cratered in places and the last 30kms to Ajanta are pratically non existent.

Around Ahmednagar, yes, i don't think it should be a problem, but start early and keep an eye on your watch. Allow plenty of leeway for evening traffic that you will encounter within the city.
Old 17th August 2011, 15:38   #23
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Aurangabad (Ajanta - Ellora - Lonar - Daulatabad) : Route Queries

Quote:
Further to your queries Arya..

There is news here. The MTDC Resort at Lonar, when we visited on this saturday past, i.e. 13th Aug 2011, was in good condition. The resort is being spruced up and renovated as we speak/type. Though we did not stay at Lonar, and since i was aware of the negative publicity surrounding the MTDC Resort, Lonar, i decided to check out the rooms and was very pleasantly surprised. The rooms/toilet condition are on par, maybe even better than what you will find at Panchvati Hotel in Aurangabad. I will be posting the review / pics of the same alongwith my travelogue.
This is indeed good news for folks planning to stay at Lonar. Finally the MTDC wakes up from it's slumber. I don't plan to stay at Lonar, given the condition of the Ajanta-Lonar stretch.

Quote:
Also, we were really famished after the trek to and from the crater, and the food / Tea / Coffee served to us at the MTDC Resort was in my personal opinion FANTASTIC. Very wholesome, fresh and exactly like home food.The staff, which i gather was from the nearby village, were very hospitable, and eager to please, though the service was slow and typically laid back.

You also have the option to stay at the PWD Guest House, just behind the MTDC Resort.
This is a great update as we also plan to take our lunch there.

Quote:
But as i said, do not attempt the Lonar - Ajanta stretch anytime soon. Road though very scenic, is badly cratered in places and the last 30kms to Ajanta are pratically non existent.

Around Ahmednagar, yes, i don't think it should be a problem, but start early and keep an eye on your watch. Allow plenty of leeway for evening traffic that you will encounter within the city.
Thanks for all the information, again. Appreciate it very much.
Old 17th August 2011, 17:00   #24
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for all the information, again. Appreciate it very much.
No problem Arya, i am in the process of building up my travelogue, though have not started building the thread yet, need to select/re-size photographs, collate route information etc but will have it up and running by next week for sure, do check it out you may find more info that i may have skipped inadvertently.
Old 18th August 2011, 12:20   #25
BHPian

Quote:
...it is best you talk to Mr. Ashok, Mob: +91 9890340816, he is the person in charge of the travel desk and a very helpful person. You will get all the information you are looking for straight from the horses' mouth.
Spoke to Ashok and these are the rates quoted by him on the phone without any negotiations for an Indica -

Ellora tour (including other 3-4 places) - Rs. 1050/-
Ajanta tour - Rs. 1450/1850 (non AC/AC)
Lonar tour - Rs. 2200/2450 (non AC/AC)

And other out-of-town trips will be charged @ 7/km for AC and 6/km for non-AC.

Since I don't have any idea, are these the standard and reasonable rates around that area?

Should I talk to other operators as well to get a better deal or do these rates sound good enough?
Old 18th August 2011, 12:34   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Spoke to Ashok and these are the rates quoted by him on the phone without any negotiations for an Indica -

Ellora tour (including other 3-4 places) - Rs. 1050/-
Ajanta tour - Rs. 1450/1850 (non AC/AC)
Lonar tour - Rs. 2200/2450 (non AC/AC)

And other out-of-town trips will be charged @ 7/km for AC and 6/km for non-AC.

Since I don't have any idea, are these the standard and reasonable rates around that area?

Should I talk to other operators as well to get a better deal or do these rates sound good enough?
Hi Arya, the rates quoted are more or less what you will find in Aurangabad.
We did try another tour/taxi operator once we were there and he did quote a little lower, however Ashok came across as a very reliable person and since we were staying at Panchvati Hotel we just decided to go ahead with him.

We had hired an Innova for the Ellora + Inter City Aurangabad Tour, the car was very clean and the driver well informed and courteous.

It is really your call, you are more than welcome and can try looking at other tour operators but I unfortunately will not be much help there since we just stuck to the more or less the first option that came our way and you will have to search around for that on the net etc.
Old 18th August 2011, 17:53   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Arya, the rates quoted are more or less what you will find in Aurangabad.
We did try another tour/taxi operator once we were there and he did quote a little lower, however Ashok came across as a very reliable person and since we were staying at Panchvati Hotel we just decided to go ahead with him.
Thanks again, PGNarain!
Even I think I shall stick to tried and tested Ashok.

Lets see how it goes. I shall update this thread with my experiences.
Old 5th November 2011, 18:52   #28
BHPian

We had a fantastic tour of the Marathwada region thanks to all the folks who responded to my queries.
We couldn't do the Hyderabad part as our train got cancelled due to the Telangana agitation.

Here's my quick take on the places we stayed in (which are discussed in the thread) -

1. Hotel Panchavati - As has been discussed, it's strictly a one-night stopover place. Though the staff are helpful, but I have certain reservations on the hygiene part. We stayed for 4 nights though.

Mr. Ashok, of the travel desk fame, was helpful - but not too much by my experiences. Any other travel desk would have been the same. For the Ajanta trip, we got a ramshackle Sumo which resulted in a bad backache. And to top it off, we got a very very discourteous and unhelpful driver. Bad luck I should say!

2. Hotel Yash Palace - really good choice. The front desk is not very helpful but the staff are. The food is good and the rooms are clean and large.

The surprising thing is how non-touristy Ahmednagar is. Folks there didn't even know that one can visit the Tank Museum throughout the year. The auto, I took to go there, was very excited and told that he'd get his family there over the weekend.

A bit held-up with the Andaman travelogue, will start a travelogue on this trip shortly.

Last edited by aryasanyal : 5th November 2011 at 18:56.
aryasanyal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 15:16   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Digging up an old thread.

Route plan: To do a circular route of Bangalore -Aurangabad - Ellora - Ajanta - Lonar - Hyderabad - Bangalore.

When: Yet to finalize dates. Hope to plan it before summer peaks.

Query

Specifically, Satara - Aurangabad. With an early morning start I am hoping of reaching Satara around 02:30 PM. From there which is the best route to Aurangabad?

1. The route I am looking at is Satara - Lonad - Supe - Shirur -Ahmednagar - Aurangabad.
2. I remember some mention about taking road via Phaltan any update on the same?
3. I am aware that from Satara its mostly 2 lane road and that I will be driving in dark. However, apart from that is there any safety aspect to be considered?
4. From NH 4 turn off at Satara, till Aurangabad is it doable in around 6 hours?
5. If its tough to achieve, planning of staying over at Pune for night (will meet few friends there) and start from Pune the next day.

As per current plan, it will just be myself & wife.
Old 17th January 2018, 15:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Digging up an old thread.

1. The route I am looking at is Satara - Lonad - Supe - Shirur -Ahmednagar - Aurangabad.
2. I remember some mention about taking road via Phaltan any update on the same?
3. I am aware that from Satara its mostly 2 lane road and that I will be driving in dark. However, apart from that is there any safety aspect to be considered?
4. From NH 4 turn off at Satara, till Aurangabad is it doable in around 6 hours?
5. If its tough to achieve, planning of staying over at Pune for night (will meet few friends there) and start from Pune the next day.

As per current plan, it will just be myself & wife.
I recommend, take Satara- Pune- Nagar Aurangabad road.

1) Nira- moragaon_ supe- shirur is in bad condition.
2) The route is not good for non localite driving after sunset.
3) Absolutely nil facilities from Vathar station till shirur on this route.
4) Satara-pune- nagar is currently faster route than satara-supe_shirur route.
5) Don't even think about Phaltan- Baramati route. Its in very very bad condition. 25 km will cost you 1.5 hrs.

Take my advice seriously as i am based somewhere near along this satara- nira- shirur route.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 17th January 2018 at 15:33.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks