Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2008, 18:50   #1

Bangalore to Aurangabad (Ajanta - Ellora - Lonar - Daulatabad) : Route Queries

I am planning for a road trip from Bangalore to Aurangabad with an intention of covering Ajanta-Ellora-Daulatabad and Lonar during the xmas long weekend.

1. I am aware of the route to take up until Bijapur (Blore-Chitradurga-Bijapur). Beyond Bijapur, I plan to continue to Solapur (NH 13) and then on the NH 211 up to Aurangabad. Can anyone confirm that this is the ideal option available in terms of route / state of the roads, etc.

2. I have checked out MTDC website to book for accommodation in Aurangabad. But they seem to be full already. Can anyone provide alternate options?

3. Can anyone provide me with the route from Aurangabad to Lonar if it's any different from what the maps have to offer. I plan to have Aurangabad as the base but would like to spend a night in Lonar.

3. Any other info about Daulatabad, Ajanta, Ellora to keep in mind that can be shared will be most welcome.

- Kishor
Old 16th December 2008, 22:58   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishor_narayan View Post
I am planning for a road trip from Bangalore to Aurangabad with an intention of covering Ajanta-Ellora-Daulatabad and Lonar during the xmas long weekend.

1. I am aware of the route to take up until Bijapur (Blore-Chitradurga-Bijapur). Beyond Bijapur, I plan to continue to Solapur (NH 13) and then on the NH 211 up to Aurangabad. Can anyone confirm that this is the ideal option available in terms of route / state of the roads, etc.

2. I have checked out MTDC website to book for accommodation in Aurangabad. But they seem to be full already. Can anyone provide alternate options?

3. Can anyone provide me with the route from Aurangabad to Lonar if it's any different from what the maps have to offer. I plan to have Aurangabad as the base but would like to spend a night in Lonar.

3. Any other info about Daulatabad, Ajanta, Ellora to keep in mind that can be shared will be most welcome.

- Kishor
Kishore when are you reaching there i am also planning to be there (Aurangabad) from mumbai.
Old 17th December 2008, 09:56   #3
manukale

Pls refer "Around aurangabad- by magiceye"

Hi,

Please refer the travelogues posted by magiceye - "around Aurangabad Part 1 & Part 2". The best ever detailed write-up regarding the Aurangabad is given there.

PLEASE NOTE: he has travelled TWICE to Ellora within the same stay. Please AVOID. Reading the travelogues will explain why I am saying so.

Though I am presently in Mumbai (since last 3 weeks only), but had been there for over 10 years. Please let me know, if I could be of any further help.

Old 16th April 2009, 18:03   #4
BHPian

Hi Kishor,

Did you make the trip to Aurangabad? If yes would appreciate your feeddback on the road, time taken etc as I might be going on April 20th.

Thanks
Old 16th April 2009, 19:21   #5
BHPian

Please bear in mind that Ellora caves are closed on Tuesday. I learnt it the hard way :(
Old 17th April 2009, 09:50   #6

Travelogue

Here is a brief travelogue written from whatever I can remember now!

Travel Dates: 23rd December 2008 5PM (TUE) - 28th December 2008 12 PM(SUN)
Number of people: 4
Car: Hyundai Santro

Started out on Dec 23rd evening at 5 PM and after picking up the other 3 at 7PM (the last one boarded at Hebbal), started off. Took the Hebbal-Yelahanka-Doddaballapur-Dobbaspet route to connect to Tumkur road. This was basically to avoid the clogged Tumkur road. Drove all night (with few breaks) and reached Bijapur in the morning at about 8 AM. Route taken: Bangalore(Hebbal)-Yelahanka-Doddaballapur-Dobbaspet-Tumkur-Chitradurga-Hospet-Hunagund-Almatti-Bijapur (distance of 550 kms). The NH13 highway from Chitradurga - Almatti is average.

Dec 24th:
Rested for a while and visited the Gol Gumbaz and started out again at about 2 PM. Reached Solapur (100 kms) by 3.30 and continued to Aurangabad on NH211 (290 kms) by night. Stayed at MTDC Aurangabad situated near railway station. The phone number is available in Lonely Planet India book and in MTDC website.

Dec 25th:
Visited Ellora (20 kms) in the morning before the place got too crowded as it was a holiday. Came back to Aurangabad (20 kms) and after lunch proceded to Lonar (via Jalna - Deolgaon - Lonar total dist of 120 kms). Stayed at MTDC as we weren't given permission to pitch a tent inside the crater in the dark. MTDC phone number is available in Lonely Planet India book and in MTDC website. MTDC guest house is situated next to the crater.

Dec 26th:
Watched the sunrise from across the crater and explored the vast stretch inside the crater. Stayed at Lonar until afternoon. Proceded back towards Aurangabad.
Visited Daulatabad fort (10 kms from Aurangabad) in the evening and Bibi-Ka-Maqbara - also known as Poor Man's Taj - (within Aurangabad) at 8 PM (open till 9PM). Rested at MTDC Aurangabad.

Dec 27th:
Started the return journey from Aurangabad at 6 AM. (Route taken: Aurangabad - Osmanabad - Solapur - Bijapur - Almatti - Hospet). Watched sunset at the huge Almatti dam. Rested at a private hotel in Hospet.

Dec 28th:
Left Hospet in the morning and reached Bangalore by noon.

Points to note:
1. Total distance travelled: 2450 kms
2. Average / Bad Roads: Stretch between Chitradurga to Almatti on NH 13
3. Doing this trip in 5 days isn't fun for many people as u end up spending most of the time on the road. Do this only if u are in some serious mood to burn rubber!
4. I would recommend MTDC guest house in Lonar as it is situated next to the crater and can give u a panoramic view of the crater. In general staff in both guest houses were courteous and helpful. Food served was also good.

Additional suggestions:
1. Can visit other historical monuments in Bijapur.
2. Ajanta should be visited (Sadly we cudn't cover that).
3. Typical north-karnataka meals (also known as 'khanavali oota' in kannada)
4. MTDC has guest houses in Ajanta and Ellora too apart from many other private lodgings. U can suit your needs accordingly.
5. Can additionally visit Shirdi and Tulja Bhavani Mandir (in Tuljapur) (if you are religious / spiritual)
6. You seem to be traveling during the election season. Be aware of any travel or other type of restrictions.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you need any more information, feel free to ask.
Drive safe and have fun!

Cheers,
Kishor
kishor_narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2009, 00:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishor_narayan View Post

- Kishor
Hi Kishore

I had lived in Aurangabad for brief period. SUMMER (April-May-June) is not the right period to visit Aurangabad. It would be very hot and dry weather. If any kids are travelling with you, they would be uncomfortable for sure. the best period to visit Aurangabad/Ajanta/Ellora would be Aug-Feb.

MTDC website shows the BED & Break fast offering homestays. i have tried such home stays in coastal Maharastra, they are very affordable and reasonably good value for money. Biggest advantage is home cooked fresh food as per your request.
Old 18th April 2009, 07:35   #8

@ StarVegabond,

U are replying to an earlier post of mine. I visited Aurangabad during the xmas break. I wrote the travelogue now for the benefit of indianrunner.

I agree that weather will be a factor to consider anywhere in India during these 2-3 months.

- Kishor
Old 20th April 2009, 10:43   #9
BHPian

Thanks Kishor for the updates.... Given the elections etc the trip is postponed... but this is on the 'to do' list for the immediate future.

warm regards
Old 16th August 2011, 10:52   #10
BHPian

Recommendation for a good hotel in Aurangabad and Ahmednagar

Hi,

I and my family (wife + kid) are travelling to Aurangabad during the last week of September and plan to stay there for about 4 days. Can anyone recommend a decent hotel, which is clean and conveniently located in the city?

I chanced upon Hotel Panchvati which seems to fulfill most of the criteria, but please let me know if anyone thinks otherwise about this hotel.

Here's the link to the hotel site - Hotel Panchavati | Hotels in Aurangabad | where to stay in Aurangabad | Living in Aurangabad | Tourism in Aurangabad | Best hotels in Aurangabad for living | Best Hotels in Aurangabad for Stay | Hotels in Aurangabad for hault | Best holiday resorts i

We shall be catching the return train from Ahmednagar, and we plan to spend a day there visiting the Ahmednagar fort and couple of other locations in town. For this we plan to come down a day in advance and spend the night in town and visit the places next morning.
Any recommended hotels in Ahmednagar? Same criteria as above remains.
I dug up a couple of links from the net -

Welcome to Hotel Udayanraje Palace ! Hotel in Ahmednagar ! - seems a bit pricey for a night's stay.

Yash Palace Hotel, Ahmednagar - seems to fit criteria. But not much information on the net.

Hotel Sanket - Reviews, Photos - honesty level - 5 star - TripAdvisor - Single review. Not very convincing.

And yes, any recommendations for any hotel with a similar criteria close to the Secunderabad station as well?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by aryasanyal : 16th August 2011 at 10:56. Reason: Adding the Secunderabad query
Old 16th August 2011, 11:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Recommendation for a good hotel in Aurangabad and Ahmednagar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal
Any recommended hotels in Ahmednagar?
[URL="http://www.holidayiq.com/Yash-Palace-Hotel-Ahmednagar-hotel-10159.html"
Yash Palace Hotel, Ahmednagar[/url] - seems to fit criteria. But not much information on the net.
Take my word, blindly go for Yash palace, its near train station, nice restaurant and bang on main road.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 16th August 2011 at 11:07.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 12:04   #12
BHPian

Called up Yash Palace. They are quoting Rs.2,500/- for a day. That seems a bit on the higher side. :(
Old 16th August 2011, 12:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post
We shall be catching the return train from Ahmednagar, and we plan to spend a day there visiting the Ahmednagar fort and couple of other locations in town. For this we plan to come down a day in advance and spend the night in town and visit the places next morning.
Whats train time from nagar?
Do you really want to explore nagar attractions?
Old 16th August 2011, 12:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I and my family (wife + kid) are travelling to Aurangabad during the last week of September and plan to stay there for about 4 days. Can anyone recommend a decent hotel, which is clean and conveniently located in the city?

And yes, any recommendations for any hotel with a similar criteria close to the Secunderabad station as well?

Thanks in advance.
Hotel Janaki exective.Have stayed here few times, decent place with a roof top restaurant.

Hotels In Aurangabad,Aurangabad Hotels,hotel tariff, Hotels In Aurangabad,Aurangabad Hotels

Whats your budget for Secunderabad.?
SILVERWOOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 12:21   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I chanced upon Hotel Panchvati which seems to fulfill most of the criteria, but please let me know if anyone thinks otherwise about this hotel.

Here's the link to the hotel site - Hotel Panchavati | Hotels in Aurangabad | where to stay in Aurangabad | Living in Aurangabad | Tourism in Aurangabad | Best hotels in Aurangabad for living | Best Hotels in Aurangabad for Stay | Hotels in Aurangabad for hault | Best holiday resorts i

Any recommended hotels in Ahmednagar? Same criteria as above remains.
I dug up a couple of links from the net -

Welcome to Hotel Udayanraje Palace ! Hotel in Ahmednagar ! - seems a bit pricey for a night's stay.

Yash Palace Hotel, Ahmednagar - seems to fit criteria. But not much information on the net.

Hotel Sanket - Reviews, Photos - honesty level - 5 star - TripAdvisor - Single review. Not very convincing.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Arya, i have just returned from yesterday from a road trip to Aurangabad and nearby places and was going to put up my travelogue and route info by weekend.

I drove to Aurangabad with my wife+mother and couple of friends and stayed at the Panchavati Hotel.

About your first query, Hotel Panchavati is strictly a budget hotel. The room that reserved for us had very obviously not been used for some time. So there was a distinct musky smell from moisture and stale cigarette smell in the room. The sheets too had not been changed for some time and were somewhat dirty. Also our rooms were facing the road so felt the traffic noise was a bit much, but again that can be rectified quickly, though we chose not to change rooms.

However, the staff is very helpful and once these things were bought to their attention things improved quickly, fresh sheets were laid out and an hour of airing the room by opening the doors and running the AC put the dank odour right.

Location of the hotel is very amazingly good, especially if you are driving into the city from Pune/Mumbai.

Also the travel desk on the ground floor if FANTASTIC. They have a good fleet of cars, which you can rent and at reasonable rates, staff is very helpful, very knowledgeable about places to visit, distances, route info, road conditions etc. If you want i can give you the contact number of the person in charge.

Panchvati Hotel is a good hotel but as i said it is a Budget no frills Hotel. Do not expect that you can spend time lounging in here.
If you are looking ONLY for some place to sleep at night, i think Panchvati is the place for you, which is also why they have a lot of foreign backpackers throughout the hotel and even the Menu is translated in Korean.

I assume you are coming by train, so why don't you book yourself at the MTDC resort, which is bang opposite the Railway Station and is also in good condition, clean and large rooms.

If you can stretch your budget Hotel Vits, Aurangabad is also walking distance from the Station.

Hope the above helps, pls do get in touch with me for any further info about Aurangabad, Hotel, places to see.. or you can refer to my travelogue later this week.
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks