Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2014, 22:12   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyderabad to Ooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Thats a good news. I am new to this route and need to traverse with just the help of google maps. Is that ok or need to take any other precautions/apps?
And my City has just clocked 7.5k kms being 2.5 yrs old. Distance driven should be under 1k from my last service which happened 1 year back. Is a service now for this trip mandatory?
I do understand your anxiety. Do note the road from Doddaballapur-Nelamangala can be a bit rough, but I still firmly believe you will save quite some by not getting into the city. Just get the basic thing done.

Where to exit the Bangalore-Hassan 4-lane?
- Just after the Belur cross toll booth at Nelligere.
- Google maps is accurate in these regions. But I do hope you have a car charger.
Old 26th September 2014, 22:22   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And my City has just clocked 7.5k kms being 2.5 yrs old. Distance driven should be under 1k from my last service which happened 1 year back. Is a service now for this trip mandatory?
Whoa, 7.5 K kms on 2.5 years?? I've finally met a guy who's worse than me!

If you've not crossed 5 K from the last service, you have the liberty to get it serviced on your return.
Old 27th September 2014, 09:08   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- Google maps is accurate in these regions. But I do hope you have a car charger.
Dont have one, but will get one before this trip. Hope Google maps doesnt let me down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Whoa, 7.5 K kms on 2.5 years?? I've finally met a guy who's worse than me!

If you've not crossed 5 K from the last service, you have the liberty to get it serviced on your return.
Yep. After moved into the city and closer to my office, the need of City has tremendously come down, except for some local shopping, sight seeing. This trip is indeed planned to cross 10k by this year. And once wifey gets confident, need to plan more road trips.

I am sure I havent crossed 5k from my last service. But will do the basic checks like you mentioned.
Old 27th September 2014, 13:53   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dont have one, but will get one before this trip. Hope Google maps doesnt let me down.
Google wont let you down. Its mapped all these locations correctly. I just hope, data connection does not let you down. Thats the bigger problem, outside cities. One of the main reasons why I rely on dedicated devices with maps on an SD card on the device.
Old 29th September 2014, 05:51   #65

I just did they Hyderabad - Mysore trip a couple of days back and I regularly use the Devanahalli -> Hebbal Circle -> Tumkur Road -> HMT road -> Take flyover after U turn on Bangalore-Mangalore road -> NICE and then to Kengeri; I have clocked 3 hrs regularly between Devanahalli to Mysore. Caution: I generally avoid Gorguntepalaya railway crossing as it can get nightmarish crossing it with tons of heavy trucks lined up there (hence I take the HMT road or Jalhalli road to avoid this under construction flyover.
Old 29th September 2014, 15:11   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I do understand your anxiety. Do note the road from Doddaballapur-Nelamangala can be a bit rough, but I still firmly believe you will save quite some by not getting into the city. Just get the basic thing done.

Should i take the 36 hair pin bend route or the alternate. I have done the yercaud ghat road once and this would be my second ghat drive. If to avoid, what is the route.
Old 29th September 2014, 15:19   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Should i take the 36 hair pin bend route or the alternate.
The 36 hairpin - Masinagudi route is in good shape and shorter in distance. However the initial few KM's (till Masinagudi) roads are not that good.

The alternative is via Gudalur, this route is broken at many places. However the gradient is less compared to Masinagudi route. You can try this route if you are not sure of taking the Masinagudi route.

However do note that the hairpins though bit steep is easily doable. I had done the same in my Alto 800 with 4 on-board + luggage without any issues.
Old 29th September 2014, 15:27   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
However do note that the hairpins though bit steep is easily doable. I had done the same in my Alto 800 with 4 on-board + luggage without any issues.
This gives me enough confidence. Yercaud ghat was done in an SX4 in which the steering is quite heavy. Believe it would be a breeze in the City, with light weight steering. Will do it slow and steady.
Old 29th September 2014, 15:54   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This gives me enough confidence. Yercaud ghat was done in an SX4 in which the steering is quite heavy. Believe it would be a breeze in the City, with light weight steering. Will do it slow and steady.
Just dont be fooled by the gradient,to the naked eye it looks like a normal road,but in reality its a very steep gradient and engine/gear braking as far as possible.
Old 29th September 2014, 15:59   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Just dont be fooled by the gradient,to the naked eye it looks like a normal road,but in reality its a very steep gradient and engine/gear braking as far as possible.
Point noted. Will do it as advised. BTW, how many KMs is this stretch?
Old 29th September 2014, 21:50   #71
BHPian

So this is the final chalked out plan for my road trip on Oct. 1st

Hyd-Devanahalli-Doddaballapur-Nelamangalam-Neligere-Pandavpura-Srirangapatna-Mysore-Gundlupet-Masinagudi-Ooty-Coonoor

Start time: 3AM Tentative

There is a slight change in the itinerary. We are skipping home packed foods. So will there be any good family friendly food joints in the above route.
Old 30th September 2014, 14:36   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Point noted. Will do it as advised. BTW, how many KMs is this stretch?
Quote:
So this is the final chalked out plan for my road trip on Oct. 1st

Hyd-Devanahalli-Doddaballapur-Nelamangalam-Neligere-Pandavpura-Srirangapatna-Mysore-Gundlupet-Masinagudi-Ooty-Coonoor

Start time: 3AM Tentative

There is a slight change in the itinerary. We are skipping home packed foods. So will there be any good family friendly food joints in the above route.
The Kalhatty ghat is for 18kms.

With a 3am start,you would be at Devanahalli by 10am.If there is no particular reason to take the Pandavapura Srirangaptna route,I would suggest sticking to the standard NICE Road-Kengeri-Mysore road,plenty of places to stop and eat..Afaik there are no eating options on the Pandavpura route.
Old 30th September 2014, 14:48   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
With a 3am start,you would be at Devanahalli by 10am.Afaik there are no eating options on the Pandavpura route.
Pandavpura route was suggested by ampere to skip bangalore and mysore enroute traffic since its a vacation weekend. Rather than considering the rush, which route has good/better roads?
Old 1st October 2014, 22:28   #74
BHPian

Update:
Started at 0405 and reached coonoor by 2130
Delay courtesy Google Maps.
Took the 36 hair pin bend road by 1915 and completed by 2030
Total KM: 873

More updates on my travelogue.

Thanks for all people who helped me in completing this journey successfully.
Old 1st October 2014, 23:18   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Update:
Started at 0405 and reached coonoor by 2130
Delay courtesy Google Maps.
Took the 36 hair pin bend road by 1915 and completed by 2030
Total KM: 873

More updates on my travelogue.

Thanks for all people who helped me in completing this journey successfully.
Congratulations on completing the journey successfully. Delay due to Google maps? Which part of the journey confused you?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks