Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2012, 13:22   #16
BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Coimbatore - best route options

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
One of the most scenic drives in the region. For those looking for coordinates:

Kalpetta -Vythiri 15 kms-Meppadi 10- Cherambadi 25- Pandalur 13-Devala 6-Nadugani 5-Guddalur 11.

From Nadugani, you can turn right and go to Nilambur (and from there Palakkad, Trissur or NH17). From GUdalur, you can proceed to Sultan's Battery, Ooty or Mysore.
HVK sirji, do you have any recent trip log of Mumbai-Coimbatore via NH4 Bangalore-NH7 Salem-NH47 Coimbatore.

How much time will it take,without break considering early morning departure from Mumbai.
Old 8th August 2012, 13:47   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay387 View Post
HVK sirji, do you have any recent trip log of Mumbai-Coimbatore via NH4 Bangalore-NH7 Salem-NH47 Coimbatore.

How much time will it take,without break considering early morning departure from Mumbai.
Its about 1350km of pure 4-lane bliss. But for:

- 6-lane work between Chitradurga and Tumkur.
- No issues though. Diversions are marked
- Last mile problem. Avinashi-CBE

Timing:
- Mumbai-Pune: 2-3 hours (Check with others. depends on starting point)
- Pune bypass-Kolhapur: 5-6 hours (Check with others. depends on traffic)
- Kolhapur-Hubli : 2.5 - 3 hours
- Hubli-Bangalore : 5-6 hours
- Bangalore-CBE : 5.5 hours
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 14:43   #18
BHPian

Hi all, I am reviving a quiescent thread. I plan to drive from Coimbatore to mumbai in the third week of may in my duster with yours truly at wheel and my parents. I mapped out the route with google maps and this is what I got.

1. The shortest route as suggested by google is Coimbatore - Bangalore - tumkur - kolapur - Pune - mumbai (approx 1350 Kms)

2. But on adjusting the route and taking it through Mysore and joining NH4 at Sira which is just beyond Tumkur. This way

a. I save around 120 Kms
b. The trouble of wading through Bangalore traffic

The only thing which is unclear is the status of road between Mysore and Sira which is around 180 Kms.

I need help with choosing the route

Thanks in advance
Old 11th March 2013, 15:44   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead1981 View Post
There is another way to bypass Bangalore traffic (more specifically Krishnagiri-Hosur).

Salem-Dharmapuri-Palacode-Rayakottai-Kelamangalam-Attebele-Nice-Nelamangala-Tumkur.

This way you get the best of 4-lane.
Route Link

To go via Mysore the option is :

CBE-Chamarajanagar-Mysore-Srirangapatna-Nagamangala-Huliyar-Hiriyur.

Ref : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...te-option.html

Route Link

I would prefer the first one.

Last edited by ampere : 11th March 2013 at 15:50.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 18:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all, I am reviving a quiescent thread. I plan to drive from Coimbatore to mumbai in the third week of may in my duster with yours truly at wheel and my parents. I mapped out the route with google maps and this is what I got.

1. The shortest route as suggested by google is Coimbatore - Bangalore - tumkur - kolapur - Pune - mumbai (approx 1350 Kms)

2. But on adjusting the route and taking it through Mysore and joining NH4 at Sira which is just beyond Tumkur. This way

a. I save around 120 Kms
b. The trouble of wading through Bangalore traffic

The only thing which is unclear is the status of road between Mysore and Sira which is around 180 Kms.

Thanks in advance
I did this route last week:

Coimbatore - Salem - Hossur - Bangalore - Tumkur - Kolhapur - Pune

You need not enter Bangalore city. You can take the NICE road and exit through and through. I suggest you stay away from the Mysore road.

The NH7 route is absolutely fantastic. The only part i dont like is paying te tolls
ishotmydog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 19:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As ampere has indicated, the Srirangapatna-Hiriyur route can be taken to reduce distance from Mysore & avoid Bangalore, especially on a weekend. Road is excellent. However, avoid the Bellur-Sira route because it has some bad sections.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 01:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There is another way to bypass Bangalore traffic (more specifically Krishnagiri-Hosur).

Salem-Dharmapuri-Palacode-Rayakottai-Kelamangalam-Attebele-Nice-Nelamangala-Tumkur.

This way you get the best of 4-lane.

To go via Mysore the option is :

CBE-Chamarajanagar-Mysore-Srirangapatna-Nagamangala-Huliyar-Hiriyur.

I would prefer the first one.
My feeling is that the route via Palacode-Rayakottai will probably take more time than the route via Mysore. I've travelled only once via Palacode (Didn't go till Attibele that time, but joined NH7 at Hosur), but the feeling I got back then was that the multitude of villages on the way do slow you down considerably. Yes, the stretch between E-City and Hiriyur on NICE road / NH7 would be much faster, but since you save about 100kms when going via Srirangapatna-Nagamangala-Hiriyur, it would probably compensate for having to drive longer on the slower State Highways.

My suggestion would be :

Coimbatore-Chamarajanagar-T.Narasipur-Bannur-Baburayanakoppal(near Srirangapatna)-Nagamangala-Huliyar-Hiriyur.

Route link

By going via T.Narsipur you avoid touching Mysore altogether, and these roads (at least till Srirangapatna) were all pretty good when I travelled on them last except for small stretches of 2-3 kms around T.Narasipur and Bannur towns. I haven't travelled the Srirangapatna-Hiriyur sector via Nagamangala-Huliyar, but remember reading here that the roads on this stretch are quite good as well (also confirmed by HVK in a previous message)
Old 12th March 2013, 07:00   #23
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
However, avoid the Bellur-Sira route because it has some bad sections.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
My suggestion would be :

Coimbatore-Chamarajanagar-T.Narasipur-Bannur-Baburayanakoppal(near Srirangapatna)-Nagamangala-Huliyar-Hiriyur.

Route link
@kala - the route link you mentioned here takes Bellur-Sira which HVK has asked to avoid due to bad sections. Instead, one should take the Huliyar-Hiriyur route, so would it be Bellur-Turuvekere-Chikanayakanahalli-Huliyar-Hiriyur ?
Old 12th March 2013, 08:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
@kala - the route link you mentioned here takes Bellur-Sira which HVK has asked to avoid due to bad sections. Instead, one should take the Huliyar-Hiriyur route, so would it be Bellur-Turuvekere-Chikanayakanahalli-Huliyar-Hiriyur ?
Yes, the Huliyar route is good condition throughout, that is to be preferred.
Old 12th March 2013, 08:33   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
My feeling is that the route via Palacode-Rayakottai will probably take more time than the route via Mysore. I've travelled only once via Palacode (Didn't go till Attibele that time, but joined NH7 at Hosur), but the feeling I got back then was that the multitude of villages on the way do slow you down considerably. Yes, the stretch between E-City and Hiriyur on NICE road / NH7 would be much faster, but since you save about 100kms when going via Srirangapatna-Nagamangala-Hiriyur, it would probably compensate for having to drive longer on the slower State Highways.
Agree on the distance part that option via Mysore may be faster. But the amount of roads, one needs to know, in terms of where to turn, I thought the other one would be better. For example north of Nagamangala, its very easy to get diverted Gubbi rather than Huliyar. Other than that, I agree that surely this is a better option.

Also Palacode-Rayakottai section I thought is faster. It only slows down towards Hosur. If you turn towards Kelamangalam at Ratakottai, it would be easier I guess (need to confirm though), with the road slowly down only towards Attebele. But by then you are close to NICE.
Old 12th March 2013, 10:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Ah - sorry about that. Failed to notice that GM had routed Belur-Hiriyur via Sira. YOu're right. Huiyar-Hiriyur is supposed to be the better route.
Old 11th May 2013, 21:31   #27
BHPian

hi all

It is finally time to take my trip to Mumbai from coimbatore. I plan to start on the 17th by around 4 am. I have decided to take the route via mysore as advised since i save 120 km and drive through bengaluru. Plan to reach Kholapur for dinner and sleep over. start early the next day to reach Mumbai by noon. I will be the sole driver with my parents as passengers. Please advise regarding fuel stops along NH4 as i will be joining the same at hiriyur. kindly let me know if timelines are doable and any suggestions are welcome
Old 11th May 2013, 22:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hi all

It is finally time to take my trip to Mumbai from coimbatore. I plan to start on the 17th by around 4 am. I have decided to take the route via mysore as advised since i save 120 km and drive through bengaluru. Plan to reach Kholapur for dinner and sleep over. start early the next day to reach Mumbai by noon. I will be the sole driver with my parents as passengers. Please advise regarding fuel stops along NH4 as i will be joining the same at hiriyur. kindly let me know if timelines are doable and any suggestions are welcome
You can easily do the drive in one day, no need to halt in Kolhapur.

Lots of excellent fuel pumps in NH4.
Old 12th May 2013, 08:50   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar

You can easily do the drive in one day, no need to halt in Kolhapur.

Lots of excellent fuel pumps in NH4.
Thanks HVK sir. I am a little skeptical about doing it in one day because the max I have done in a day till now is around 600 kilometres. I will try to do it in a day but will have stay in kolapur as an option. Do any of the eateries along the way have facilities for taking a short nap or is it best to do it by the road side ?
Old 12th May 2013, 08:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks HVK sir. I am a little skeptical about doing it in one day because the max I have done in a day till now is around 600 kilometres. I will try to do it in a day but will have stay in kolapur as an option. Do any of the eateries along the way have facilities for taking a short nap or is it best to do it by the road side ?
Plenty of facilities on NH4.
In KOlhapur, you can stay at Hotel Opal, just inside the city from the Pune-side entry point.
However, to avoid going into the city, you can also stay on NH4 itself some 20 kms beyond Kolhapur at Sai Resort

You can also follow this detailed route plan of mine for the details of route & stopovers
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzW9...it?usp=sharing

Last edited by hvkumar : 12th May 2013 at 08:55.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks