Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2023, 21:29   #76
BHPian

Mumbai to Coimbatore drive plan in July ‘23

My wife, working in an International School gets vacations in the month of July. We therefore plan all our vacations in that month. The last 5 odd years we’ve been travelling out of the country, but this year we have no plans on hand. I’ve decided to use this opportunity to venture out on a long dream, which comprises a long distance drive. As the game parks all close from June 30th, the options of driving to MP or Tadoba have been obviated. I therefore am thinking of driving south. Oh yes, I live in Mumbai and am retired. My plan is to drive to Coimbatore - No there is no reason apart from it being a nice long drive away from Mumbai and I’d like to drive around the Hassan region. I had been on a school trip down those roads some 50 or so years back and I still have wonderful memories of that region

Anyway to cut a long story short, I’ve made up a small itinerary using google maps for distance estimates and would be grateful if any of the learned and experienced friends here could either outright shoot this idea down as a bad one or offer tips and corrections. The most important feedback would be on how heavy the rains would be along this stretch for the approximate period June 25 - July 20

Pune - Hubli 450km 9 hrs - 1 night
Hubli - Mysuru 450km 9.5 hrs - 2 nights
Mysuru - Coimbatore 275km 6.5 hrs - 2 nights
Coimbatore - Kozhikode 185 km 5 hrs - 1 night
Kozhikode- Mangaluru 250km 6.5 hrs - 2 nights
Mangaluru - North Goa - 400km 8 hrs - 4 nights
North Goa - Mumbai 600 km 12 hours

All inputs eagerly to be welcomed. Thanks for your time friends
armumbai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 15:42   #77
BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Coimbatore drive plan in July ‘23

Quote:
Originally Posted by armumbai View Post
Coimbatore - Kozhikode 185 km 5 hrs - 1 night
Kozhikode- Mangaluru 250km 6.5 hrs - 2 nights
Mangaluru - North Goa - 400km 8 hrs - 4 nights
North Goa - Mumbai 600 km 12 hours

All inputs eagerly to be welcomed. Thanks for your time friends
Return stretch will be in Rain and is very much landslide/flood prone. Maybe a return via BLR-Hassan-Chikmagalur-Shimoga will be better. Jog falls may be in full glory and its absolute bliss to drive in rain in Malnad region
W@SIM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 20:12   #78
BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Coimbatore drive plan in July ‘23

Quote:
Originally Posted by W@SIM View Post
Return stretch will be in Rain and is very much landslide/flood prone. Maybe a return via BLR-Hassan-Chikmagalur-Shimoga will be better. Jog falls may be in full glory and its absolute bliss to drive in rain in Malnad region
Thank you for replying and your pointer. I’ve been told the Chikmagalur-Shimoga stretch is very hilly, won’t it be facing heavy rain and flooding around this stretch too. If it does then that could be a challenge to traverse.

The Mangaluru to Goa stretch I hear is now fully 4 landed and the Tarmac is good to drive on even in a heavy downpour
Old 29th April 2023, 20:34   #79
BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Coimbatore - Best route options

I just yesterday noticed this is a chain that stretches over 10 years and that’s probably and supposedly enough to use as a database. Unfortunately the thread ceases to have any updated information after 2015. The last 8 years, as we all are aware roads in India have got substantial upgrades. A lot of information in those early posts may or not be relevant or current and that includes road and traffic conditions and food stops/malls. I apologise if I am unable to couch my query in a proper answerable template and taking cognisance of that I have noted points made in those early and illuminating posts.

Frankly I’m not the hell for leather type of a driver and I also have a failing of being unable to beat the sun getting up over the horizon. I can leave earliest by 7am on any given day, ie unless I have specific plans of driving on autopilot mode whilst catching a nap at the wheel. With these peculiarities I was wondering on how to break up the drive into night halt objective stretches

Thanks all, I think I have my answers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks