Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2009, 13:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Trip to Goa: Suggestions please?

Hey, a group of 6 of us (guys) plan to go to Goa next week. Just wanted to ask the following questions:

1. Best mode of transport? Trains are all on waiting list, so dont want to dabble there. 2 options remain: Volvo or my friend's Ford Endeavour. Did the Endeavour drive to Goa last year and stopped at a place called Kankavli. WOuld prefer not to drive again. Volvo is a 12 hour journey at night. Sounds good. what say?

2. Place to stay: 6 Guys, 3 nights. No preference of luxury but a clean place near the most happening area (baga, calangute, vagator) will do. Budget about 1200 bucks per night for 2 ppl so 600 bucks a head. Food we will take care off. so No need to have food included! we will eat from the sea :-P

3. Transport in Goa: Since this is the first time we are going without our own transport, what is the best thing? No bikes please. I was thinking of a self driven gypsy for 3-4 days. Whats the cost? Any pointers?
Any other info??

Please provide any more inputs, like special places to eat and go. we are going on a leisure trip and all of us have been there atleast 3-4 times. The usual titos-mambos routine is now passe for us

ALSO, there's a stop scheduled at a place called Kolad for white water rafting and rappeling. Is it the best time for that? Also, is it a good time to go to Goa? Will most places be shut? Since its off season!? Any pointers on a good place on the Mumbai Goa route just in case we wanna make a stop?
cheers!!!!!!!

Last edited by frankmehta : 9th March 2009 at 13:26.
Old 9th March 2009, 13:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Have been to Goa a lot of times and you have too many options of staying there with different budgets, it would be difficult to recommend any one place, I'll leave that to the other members out here ! To answer your point no.3, you can get self driven cars in Goa for around Rs.500/- a day, you need to pay for the fuel of course. Gypsy's too are available as are open top jeeps. You get self driven cars from official agencies too but these come a little costly at between Rs.800/- to Rs.1,000/- per day. Guess the agencies have to pay their taxes and meet other establishments costs which are passed on to their customers - you and me !
Old 9th March 2009, 13:38   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post

ALSO, there's a stop scheduled at a place called Kolad for white water rafting and rappeling. Is it the best time for that?
kolad is the one which falls after 'pen' on the goa highway?

if yes ,this aint the best time to do white water rafting there ,the river would have no rapids at all.

the best season is the rains buddy!

i would suggest you skip kolad.

if you still want to go there ,check out doctor and/or sai farms which offer place to stay right next to the river bed.

you can book them through nivalink( i think they have their office in deonar)
Old 9th March 2009, 13:41   #4
BHPian

Hey Frank,

I have been there only last November and was lucky to get a real nice place to stay at. That was the start of teh season and now this would be off season, I am sure the lodging charges would come down. I know of a place called Raman cottage which is bang on Waga beach and near to calangute as well.

This fits your budget, has a pool right in front of cottages, got a cafe as well. nice beachy surroundings, you will love it.

I am sure there is no harm in posting the details as we have a dedicated thread for such informations on various places. So here you go:

Raman Cottage
Behind Barbreshwar temple
Khobrawaddoo
Calangute Bardez
Goa 403516
Phone: 00919822180133
0832-2277797
email: manoj996@hotmail.com
Old 9th March 2009, 14:07   #5
BHPian

SEE MY REPLIES IN CAPITALS

Hey, a group of 6 of us (guys) plan to go to Goa next week. Just wanted to ask the following questions:

1. Best mode of transport? Trains are all on waiting list, so dont want to dabble there. 2 options remain: Volvo or my friend's Ford Endeavour. Did the Endeavour drive to Goa last year and stopped at a place called Kankavli. WOuld prefer not to drive again. Volvo is a 12 hour journey at night. Sounds good. what say?

My first choice would be flying, Driving would be my next option as you can stop where you like and do goa locally in your own car. But Volvo is cool too.

2. Place to stay: 6 Guys, 3 nights. No preference of luxury but a clean place near the most happening area (baga, calangute, vagator) will do. Budget about 1200 bucks per night for 2 ppl so 600 bucks a head. Food we will take care off. so No need to have food included! we will eat from the sea :-P

Cheap Places hmmm... Paradise Village Beach Resort, Calangute, else you can find innumerous homestays at Candolim, presume you reach Goa in the Morning; so you have a good hour or 2 to decide. See most places will be shut as this year was pretty bad tourism wise, so most small homestays shut down for renovation, etc. Vagator you can try Sterling Resort, reasonably clean. You can find a lot of small hotels in Baga Calangute and bargaining on the spot will be your best bet for good deals.

3. Transport in Goa: Since this is the first time we are going without our own transport, what is the best thing? No bikes please. I was thinking of a self driven gypsy for 3-4 days. Whats the cost? Any pointers?
Any other info??

gypsy would be anywhere between 1500-2000 bucks, depends on your bargaining acumen. A guy called Pratap has a Maruti Zen (850 bucks/day), 0-98235-36837 (a year ago so i dunno if its still actice), he can get you a vehicle through his contacts. Or else you can find many Taxi drivers at Calangute or outside La Calypso who will get you a Gypsy.

Please provide any more inputs, like special places to eat and go. we are going on a leisure trip and all of us have been there atleast 3-4 times. The usual titos-mambos routine is now passe for us.

Britto's - Baga
Souza Lobo - Right on Calangute Beach
Martin's Corner - Betal Batim-Majorda
Infantaria - Junction of Calangute Baga Road
Cavala Beach Resort's Restaurant (Baga Calangute Road; Very good jazz music on wednesdays)
Bean Me Up - Veg.; Good food for Only Veggies! (Near Petrol Pump; Anjuna)
Bombay (Dunno if its the right name; near Alankar Theatre; u get good fish thali's there)- Mapusa

Pricey:
Republic of Noodles (Excellent Pan Asian Cuisine) - Part of Hotel Lemon Tree Amarante, Candolim
Banyan Tree (Thai) - Taj Holiday Village

Last edited by anilkalvani : 9th March 2009 at 14:08.
Old 9th March 2009, 14:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

LOVELY!! guys, team bhp is the best!! cheers! more suggestions please! thank you!

@anil and rodie: that was BRILLIANT! thank you very much for the details!

Last edited by frankmehta : 9th March 2009 at 14:11.
Old 9th March 2009, 14:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Another really good restaurant you might want to try out is Fiesta which is just opposite Tito's. I was really impressed with the food the last time I was there.
Old 9th March 2009, 14:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

ALSO, there's a stop scheduled at a place called Kolad for white water rafting and rappeling. Is it the best time for that?
As Rajesh Rawal said,
This is not good time for rafting in Kundalika river near Kolad.
September will be the best time.
I am also inspired for rafting at this place reading rafting experience by mr samurai.
Old 9th March 2009, 14:26   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

frank why don't you take a catamaran?
Old 9th March 2009, 14:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Might I add: The last time, the food at Brittos was so amazing, we sat there for lunch and moved from there after dinner!
the titos restaurant is also great.
my FAV place there is a mango tree at the mouth of the slope that goes to Sterling Vagatore. We lived at Sterling and this place MANGO TREE has awesome continental stuff. their breakfast and their chicken ala kiev are like heaven. there are a lot of mango trees in Goa and the easiest way to find this one is the MAMMOTH tv (projection TV) it has in the left corner. there is a bar with stools there too!

@tejas: some details will be appreciated: READ: very keen to take it!
Old 9th March 2009, 14:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Frank, I do Mum-Goa very office, the latest being this Feb (21-23). My answers to the best of my knowledge:
Quote:
Train is generally the best (Konkan Kanya - board at Dadar/CST at 2330 and get down at Thivim around 0930). Since these are full (as always), Volvos are my next preferred option. I travelled via Raj National Express this time. Very punctual and clean service. Boarded at Kalanagar (Bandra E) at 2145 hrs and reached Panjim at 0930 hrs. Fare for semi sleeper (leather seats!) Rs 600 per person. Carry a light quilt/blanket as their ACs are super powerful!

Sleeper Volvo buses charge around Rs 1000 pr person but non experience of travelling in them.

I generally avoid Paulo Travels (AC has problems) and Neeta Volvo (never on time). Modern/Modern Chandini Volvo runs a service from Town (starts at Bombay Central IIRC).

Quote:
There are a couple of homestays in and around Baga/Calangute (where I usually prefer to stay). I would recommend Cavala Resort at Baga. You can get their cheapest room at around Rs 1000 per night (twin sharing). However it is generally full all througout the year so booking in advance is sensible. Other options in the vicinity are: Estrela De Mar, Ronil Royale and if you are lucky GTDC Resort at Calangute.

Quote:
Any other info??
I always take a bike/Activa/Dio, so sorry, I cant help much here.

Quote:
Please provide any more inputs, like special places to eat and go. we are going on a leisure trip and all of us have been there atleast 3-4 times. The usual titos-mambos routine is now passe for us
I avoid Titos/Mambos completely.

1. Go to Paradiso nightclub (Anjuna). The owner told me that they are re-opening in March.
2. Infantria - Calangute (the best breakfast in Goa)
3. Brittos - breakfast, lunch, dinner - whatever!
4. Souza Lobo - dinner
5. Butter (Candolim). I could not visit this place, but heard its much better than Titos.
6. Taj Aguada for the best seafood! Of course, at the pricier side!
7. Curlies shack at Anjuna (ask anyone the directions for the Flea Market at Anjuna)
8. Another relatively lesser known shack - Squeeze. Its the last shack on Baga but serves very good food and juices. I am a regular here.
Old 9th March 2009, 14:59   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Cheap Places hmmm... Paradise Village Beach Resort, Calangute,
This is a good one. I stayed there a couple of times. 1K range hotel and has a swimming pool too.

Another one i suggest and personally like is a place called " Molly's Malone" which is right opposite to Paradise Village resort and these places are pretty close ( right on the crossroad which leads to Calangute and Baga).
Old 9th March 2009, 15:00   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

@tejas: some details will be appreciated: READ: very keen to take it!
See Welcome to SAMLINK CRUISES

They have contact number for bookings on the website.

"Catamaran between Mumbai and Goa

An air-conditioned catamaran with places for 400 passengers runs between Mumbai and Goa. It leaves from the New Ferry Wharf / Bhaucha Dhakka in Mumbai.
Mumbai- Goa Timetable:
Tuesday & Thursday
Dep. Mumbai 2230 Hours Arr. Panaji 0600 Hours

Goa- Mumbai:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday
Dep. Panaji 1000 Hours Arr. Mumbai 1730 Hours
(Passengers are requested to board the ship 2 hours before departure.)"

These are old timings and days. May have changed now. Contact them. Or go to Gateway of India and do enquiries.

EDIT: I think it costs 1400 bucks per head. A section for 6people can be booked for 9000approx.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 9th March 2009 at 15:04.
Old 9th March 2009, 15:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Train is generally the best (Konkan Kanya - board at Dadar/CST at 2330 and get down at Thivim around 0930). Since these are full (as always), Volvos are my next preferred option. I travelled via Raj National Express this time. Very punctual and clean service. Boarded at Kalanagar (Bandra E) at 2145 hrs and reached Panjim at 0930 hrs. Fare for semi sleeper (leather seats!) Rs 600 per person. Carry a light quilt/blanket as their ACs are super powerful!
semi-sleeper from Raj/Nita sound convincing! LEATHER SEATS????? Now im going by bus for sure.. lol! Kidding!

Quote:
Sleeper Volvo buses charge around Rs 1000 pr person but non experience of travelling in them.
yep, but ive heard them sleeper buses are claustrophobic and hence plan to not go the sleeper route.

Quote:
I generally avoid Paulo Travels (AC has problems) and Neeta Volvo (never on time). Modern/Modern Chandini Volvo runs a service from Town (starts at Bombay Central IIRC).
points taken. Might go out myself tomorrow and book a service from Dadar TT since most of my friends who I am leaving with stay there.
Quote:
There are a couple of homestays in and around Baga/Calangute (where I usually prefer to stay). I would recommend Cavala Resort at Baga. You can get their cheapest room at around Rs 1000 per night (twin sharing). However it is generally full all througout the year so booking in advance is sensible. Other options in the vicinity are: Estrela De Mar, Ronil Royale and if you are lucky GTDC Resort at Calangute.
is booking before going a necessity at this time? You know the gypsy nature of a trip when guys alone go out. Sometimes you might wanna stop somewhere you like before reaching Goa!
Quote:
I always take a bike/Activa/Dio, so sorry, I cant help much here.
i have a cousin who has been in a coma since 4 years, after he had a bike accident in Goa. I just cant take a risk. Its a sad thing and I know its safer to drive a car there.

Quote:
I avoid Titos/Mambos completely.

1. Go to Paradiso nightclub (Anjuna). The owner told me that they are re-opening in March.
2. Infantria - Calangute (the best breakfast in Goa)
3. Brittos - breakfast, lunch, dinner - whatever!
4. Souza Lobo - dinner
5. Butter (Candolim). I could not visit this place, but heard its much better than Titos.
6. Taj Aguada for the best seafood! Of course, at the pricier side!
7. Curlies shack at Anjuna (ask anyone the directions for the Flea Market at Anjuna)
8. Another relatively lesser known shack - Squeeze. Its the last shack on Baga but serves very good food and juices. I am a regular here.
will the flea market be on this time around????? and I looooove brittos and Curlies!
Quote:
This is a good one. I stayed there a couple of times. 1K range hotel and has a swimming pool too.
looking at paradise seriously now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
See Welcome to SAMLINK CRUISES

They have contact number for bookings on the website.

"Catamaran between Mumbai and Goa

An air-conditioned catamaran with places for 400 passengers runs between Mumbai and Goa. It leaves from the New Ferry Wharf / Bhaucha Dhakka in Mumbai.
Mumbai- Goa Timetable:
Tuesday & Thursday
Dep. Mumbai 2230 Hours Arr. Panaji 0600 Hours

Goa- Mumbai:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday
Dep. Panaji 1000 Hours Arr. Mumbai 1730 Hours
(Passengers are requested to board the ship 2 hours before departure.)"

These are old timings and days. May have changed now. Contact them. Or go to Gateway of India and do enquiries.

EDIT: I think it costs 1400 bucks per head. A section for 6people can be booked for 9000approx.
tejas, volvo will work out cheaper. 1400 is just not worth spending if you're just saving 3-4 hours.
Old 9th March 2009, 15:16   #15
BHPian

@tejas
I think it costs 1400 bucks per head. A section for 6people can be booked for 9000approx.

Instead of 1400 bucks by sea, right now Air fares are at 1,600 one way per person, so put in 200 bucks more and travel by air, gives you more time to spend in Goa. BTW booked myself on Go Air - bom goi & KF Red - goi to bom 28 apr - 2nd may, 6,400 for a couple return airfare. I do Goa atleast twice or thrice a year but for time constaints prefer to fly down.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks