Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2009, 22:45   #1
BHPian

Mumbai - Allahabad - Best route?

I am looking at doing Mumbai - Allahabad on 7th April.

I have the following options:

A) Mumbai - Surat - Ahmadabad - Udaipur - Kota - Shivpuri - Jhansi - Kanpur - Allahad

1800KM

Pros:
Recommended by highway bhagwan Hvkumar.
Will be mostly on GQ thus good roads.

Cons:
Too long.
Heard Shivpuri is a major dacoit area and should be completely avoided.

B) Mumbai - Nashik - Dhule - Indore - Bhopal - Sagar - Rewa - Allahabad

1400Km

Pros:
Shorter Distance.
Have checked with relatives living in Indore and they have confirmed road from Indore to Rewa is good.

Cons
Nasik Indore route not that great but drivable.
Rewa Allahabad has a 25km patch which is really terrible.

C) Mumbai - Pune - Ahmadnagar - Jalna - Akola - Nagpur - Seoni - Jabalpur - Murwara - Rewa - Allahabad

1600Km

Pros:
Have checked with relatives in Jabalpur and they have confirmed that a new road has recently been made between Nagpur and Seoni and is good and the route to Seoni Jabalpur is also excellent.

Cons:
Not sure of Pune Nagpur road conditions, heard they are not that great.
Longer than route B

Any suggestions on any part of the routes?

Please help me decide which route would be better.

Thanks for the help.
Old 26th March 2009, 09:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Pune-Nagpur via Ahmednagar, Aurangabad, Jalna, Mehekar, Wardha is good.
Nagpur-Jabalpur-Rewa is good.

Choice is between high-speed GQ roads and regular NH.

Avoid route via Indore and Sagar. Bad roads.

Shivpuri has no special dacoity problems, but avoidable at night. Been through those areas at night also, no problems faced.
Old 26th March 2009, 18:38   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Choice is between high-speed GQ roads and regular NH.
Well I'll add that as a Pro.
I think this could tilt the balance towards route A.
I believe the Surat Baroda 4 lane is also nearly complete as stated here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...updates-2.html .
Route A seems very tempting even given the longer distance.

Have given up on route B completely. The feedback on Dhulia to Indore road is terrible.
Old 27th March 2009, 11:41   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian1979 View Post
C) Mumbai - Pune - Ahmadnagar - Jalna - Akola - Nagpur - Seoni - Jabalpur - Murwara - Rewa - Allahabad

1600Km

Cons:
Not sure of Pune Nagpur road conditions, heard they are not that great.
Longer than route B
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Pune-Nagpur via Ahmednagar, Aurangabad, Jalna, Mehekar, Wardha is good.
As suggested by Kumar Sir, The route from Mumbai to Nagpur is good and easily completed with in 14-15 Hours. I did the same route in december started from mumbai at 10.30PM reached nagpur around 12.30AM. If you start early in the morning around 4 then you can reach nagpur by 6.00 PM.

Hope this hepls you
Old 17th June 2009, 14:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian1979 View Post
I am looking at doing Mumbai - Allahabad on 7th April.

B) Mumbai - Nashik - Dhule - Indore - Bhopal - Sagar - Rewa - Allahabad

Cons
Rewa Allahabad has a 25km patch which is really terrible.
Which route did you take finally?

Is Rewa -> ALD the only bad stretch on this route?

I am planning a drive with my family in Oct-Nov this year from Pune to Patna via Nagpur -> Jabalpur ->Rewa ->Varanasi (NH7) -> Patna (NH2).

Can you share your road experience in and around Rewa (and Varanasi, if possible).

Thanks,
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 17th June 2009 at 14:32.
Old 17th June 2009, 14:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Which route did you take finally?

Is Rewa -> ALD the only bad stretch on this route?

I am planning a drive with my family in Oct-Nov this year from Pune to Patna via Nagpur -> Jabalpur ->Rewa ->Varanasi (NH7) -> Patna (NH2).

Can you share your road experience in and around Rewa (and Varanasi, if possible).

Thanks,
-BJ
Have done this route till Nawada via Nagpur->Varanasi ->Gaya- Nawada in December 2008, hopefully you will take the same route, the only bad patch was between Rewa and Varanasi , I went via Mirzapur, not Allahabad. once you cross that bad path every thing else is in good condition.
Pune -> Nagpur too is good apart from few small bad path.

-Pramod
Old 18th June 2009, 11:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Have done this route till Nawada via Nagpur->Varanasi ->Gaya- Nawada in December 2008,
the only bad patch was between Rewa and Varanasi
Thanks Pramod. I was looking precisely for this info. How long does it take to drive from JBP -> VRN and whats the approx KMs of bad patch. What are the places to halt for night enroute with family.

I am contemplating to reach destination (about ~100kms away from Patna, beyond Muzaffarpur) on 3rd or may be 4th day of the journey, hence, planning enroute halts at Akola (or NGP), JBP (or Rewa) and may be somewher near Mughalsarai(?).

I have a small kid and can't possibly go beyong 500-600kms each day. Based on your experience, what alternative route(s) do you recommend? I have a 4x4 Safari and hence do not mind few stretches of bad roads- but, it should be safe for family and I intend to drive only during daylights.

Cheers,
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 18th June 2009 at 11:48.
Old 19th June 2009, 13:33   #8
BHPian

The complete route is safe for driving, I drove with my family[ wife and 8 year kid], I didn't wanted to cross UP in night, so started from Nagpur in evening and was in Varanasi next morning, but as you plan to just drive during day time, best option would be to halt at Varanasi, start early from Nagpur and you will be in Varanasi by evening, it 750 kms from Nagpur, but doable, bad road are 50+ kms after rewa for 20 kms, but with Safari you may even not feel it ;-), once you cross this patch the road are all good, NH2 is dream like and you cover all the lost time, so start in morning from Varanasi and you will be home before Sun goes down.

My suggestion, halt at Nagpur and then at Varanasi.
-Pramod
Old 19th June 2009, 14:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Avoid Jhansi-kanpur at all costs. I guess Shivpuri - Jhansi (110km) is equally bad (had alwys been bad) . Kanpur-Jhansi (and maybe Shivpuri) is in the process of being four laned. Taking six to seven hours for Jhansi-Kanpur (210km) is quite normal these days. I used to do it regularly in three hours and a bit. Kanpur - Allahabad being regular GQ (NH2) is excellent. You may even consider coming in via Agra.

I would have suggested take the AB Road (NH4) to Gwalior and then come in via Etawah on NH2. This would have added about 50km. However, Gwalior-Etawah (105km) is in a real mess. I sometimes joke that Kanpur-Etawah-Gwalior has always been five hours. Before the GQ it was about three hours to Etawah and two to Gwalior. Now it is two to Etawah and three to Gwalior.

Last edited by sgiitk : 19th June 2009 at 14:56.
Old 19th June 2009, 15:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Avoid Jhansi-kanpur at all costs. I guess Shivpuri - Jhansi (110km) is equally bad (had alwys been bad) . Kanpur-Jhansi (and maybe Shivpuri) is in the process of being four laned. Taking six to seven hours for Jhansi-Kanpur (210km) is quite normal these days. I used to do it regularly in three hours and a bit. Kanpur - Allahabad being regular GQ (NH2) is excellent. You may even consider coming in via Agra.

I would have suggested take the AB Road (NH4) to Gwalior and then come in via Etawah on NH2. This would have added about 50km. However, Gwalior-Etawah (105km) is in a real mess. I sometimes joke that Kanpur-Etawah-Gwalior has always been five hours. Before the GQ it was about three hours to Etawah and two to Gwalior. Now it is two to Etawah and three to Gwalior.
Took me only 4 hours to cover the 230 kms between Kanpur and Jhansi 1 month ago. NH2 which you have to take till Pukhrayan/ Bhognipur CRossing is super-fast, and once you turn into NH25, you can make decent pace despite that road widening is going on at a rapid pace. Some minor diversions here and there, but the road in general is good. Of the Bhognipur Crossing-Jhansi section, teh road from Aat onwards is almost fully complete.

FRom Jhansi to Shivpuri is one of India's fastest roads - teh 4-lane work is complete and I took 1 hour to cover 85 kms till the NH3/NH25/NH76 junction.
Old 19th June 2009, 15:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

@hvkumar: Thanks for updating me. Obviously my information is a bit old. Obviously the EW Corridor (NH25 part) is going great guns and is over the hump.

I travel Kanpur-Gwalior about four to five times a year and so keep track. Kanpur-Etawah-Gwalior is about 70km shorter than Kanpur-Jhansi-Gwalior. When the GQ four laning was on in Kanpur_Etawah we had switched to Jhansi. Then as that became bad we switched back to Etawah. However, ultimately Jhansi should turn out to be better as Kanpur-Jhansi is EW Corridor and Jhansi-Gwalior is NS Corridor, i.e. GQ all the way!

As for safety I will try and drive the badland stretches only in daytime.

Last edited by sgiitk : 19th June 2009 at 15:49.
Old 16th August 2009, 20:53   #12
BHPian

Hi Pramod,

I will be driving from Kolkata - Varanasi - Jabalpur during next month ,
could you please suggest the best route , time taken from Varanasi -
Jabalpur via rewa.

Any advise will be appreciated including the detailed route Varanasi - Jblpur
Sector.

Cheers

Last edited by Captdey : 16th August 2009 at 20:54.
Old 16th August 2009, 21:41   #13
BHPian

I believe the best route is to take NH7 from Varanasi till Jabalpur, just make sure you are on NH7, you just have to make a left turm from GQ[NH2] when you near to Varanasi before the big bridge, and once you are on NH7 you just have to follow that route till Jabalpur, you will byepass all the cities, the only problem you will face is once you cross the UP and enter MP, some 25+ KM road are bad, and then its all good.

You should be able to make it to Varanasi-Jabalpur comfortably within 10 hours at MAX
-Pramod
Old 16th August 2009, 22:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

One of our friends went on the Jabalpur-Varanasi-Calcutta sector last week and reported very good, except (as Pramod mentions) in and around Rewa-Mirzapur sector.
Old 6th December 2012, 10:24   #15
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Allahabad - Best route?

Dear road gurus, I have one query on behalf one of my my relatives. He would be travelling with his family from Mumbai to Varanasi this weekend. He has asked me about the best possible route.

From google map looks like there are two options.
1. (NH3) Mumbai -> Indore -> Bhopal -> Sagar -> Chhatarpur -> Mahoba -> Banda -> Baberu -> Rajapur -> Allahabad -> Varanasi
http://goo.gl/maps/PhT3Z
2. (NH7) Mumbai -> Nagpur -> Jabalpur -> Rewa -> Mirzapur -> Varanasi
http://goo.gl/maps/bYLIR

Part of the route 2 (Varanasi-> Nagpur) was covered by my inlaws last year. And, the feedback was that Maihar and Jabalpur road was quite bad.

Which route should be followed? Is there any other better route?

Thanks a lot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks