Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2009, 16:13   #1

Nilgiris / Ooty Accommodation

Hi

I plan to spend 15 days in Ooty this summer on vacation, and plan to explore off beat locales in Nilgiris. I would like to have views of the group on the following

1. Listing of offbeat locales like Avalanche, Top Slip [in Valaparai Range] around 50 to 100 kms around Ooty
2. I plan to stay close to Ooty, and I am looking for very good quality Guest Houses / Bungalows with garden with attached cook [I want to avoid Hotels & Resorts] around Ooty, Lovedale, Wellington, or in some of the Tea Gardens in Nilgiris.

Shall appreciate receiving suggestions from the group

regards

KRISHNAN
Old 5th April 2009, 17:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskrishnan View Post
Hi

I plan to spend 15 days in Ooty this summer on vacation, and plan to explore off beat locales in Nilgiris. I would like to have views of the group on the following

1. Listing of offbeat locales like Avalanche, Top Slip [in Valaparai Range] around 50 to 100 kms around Ooty
2. I plan to stay close to Ooty, and I am looking for very good quality Guest Houses / Bungalows with garden with attached cook [I want to avoid Hotels & Resorts] around Ooty, Lovedale, Wellington, or in some of the Tea Gardens in Nilgiris.

Shall appreciate receiving suggestions from the group

regards

KRISHNAN
Wrt point 1)

1. Avalanche and Emerald lakes and dams - very beautiful and less crowded even in season. On my last trip in early Jan, I found the water level in these reservoirs/lakes is down by atleast 10-15ft (my guess from a distance) baring a border of mud before the greenery starts. Still scenic and beautiful though. If you want to enter the Avalanche forest, you need permission from Forest Office though.

2. Glenmorgan. Turn off right on the road to Pykara and onto Gudalur. Most amazing views where the Elec. Board has its post. Photography is 'officially' not allowed but the place is stunning.

3. Take the Ooty Gudalur route instead of Masinagudi one (atleast one way). Its beautifully tarred, proper markings, separators, boards, warning signs, highly scenic - heaven for car driving enthusiasts who like the twisty route. And various scenic spots on the way to admire nature.

Have a good trip :-)
lancer_rit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2009, 17:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

You can also try Mahindra resorts,if you know any members there.
Old 5th April 2009, 18:12   #4
BHPian

I would recommend Red Hills resort. Its near Avalanche about 25 kms from Ooty.

Its more of a home-stay than a resort. Mr VijayKumar plays a very enthusiastic host and organizes all sorts of treks and activities like fishing, cycling in and around the Avalanche town.
abhijitaparadh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2009, 18:25   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskrishnan View Post
Hi

I plan to spend 15 days in Ooty this summer on vacation, and plan to explore off beat locales in Nilgiris.
Krishnan- that's like half a month away from the usual life. wow! I envy you...

Well, may be instead of spending 15 days in Ooty, you can stay there for about 7 days and another 7 days in Kodai.

The route would be ; Ooty-Mettupalayam-Coimbatore-Udumalpet-Palani-Kodaikanal. Should not be more than 210 KMs. Just my two cents.

Cheers,
Jai
nevertouchme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2009, 18:35   #6
BHPian

Ooty resorts

Sterling resorts Fernhill is good if you are a member, or if you can use someone's membership. (There is another Sterling at Elkhill which is very bad).

Ask for 'RCI-Block' which is very good. You get an advanced kitchen and a big room with tennis courts before the room. You pay 400/- per day for the room as member.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2009, 11:41   #7
BHPian

Ooty Accomodation

Hey,

Even I am planning to visit Ooty for Four days in May last week. Have started a thread with my queries. But yet to receive info on Hotel/Resort and route.

Any recommendations on good Hotels/Resorts in and around Ooty? Budget is 4K per night for double room.
Old 28th April 2009, 14:03   #8
BHPian

There are lots of good hotels in Ooty.
Tamilnadu - Heritage Hotels, Plantation retreats, Farmstays and Resorts in Ooty, Coonoor, Kodaikanal, Metupalayam, Kotagiri

I have stayed in Lake View. Its a 3-star hotel and its good for my budget. There are also other hotels which are very good. For ex: Danish Villa.

King's Cliff is also supposed to be very good.
I think you can go through below link.(from akroy)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-nilgiris.html
Very good info regarding the route & places to visit.

BTW, I will be enjoying the Ooty weather for a week in the 2nd week of May. Already booked hotels.

Also, there are some homestays in Coonoor you can give a try. If you are fond of spotting animals.

Bison Country
Palaniappan Estate
and others as well.

Cheers..
Old 5th March 2012, 14:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nilgiris / Ooty Accommodation

Planning to visit Ooty in the first week of April 2012.

Please suggest some decent mid range hotels.

We are not taking our own car, hence would not prefer to stay in some resort away from the city centre.

Would prefer a hotel in the city centre so that the market/restaurants are easily accessible by walk in the evening.

Rohan
Old 5th March 2012, 14:59   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Planning to visit Ooty in the first week of April 2012.

Please suggest some decent mid range hotels.

We are not taking our own car, hence would not prefer to stay in some resort away from the city centre.

Would prefer a hotel in the city centre so that the market/restaurants are easily accessible by walk in the evening.

Rohan
Club Mahindra in Ooty is pretty good. I stayed there last May and its in the middle of the town. Very close to market and Ooty station as well as bus stop.

Cheers,
Old 12th March 2012, 13:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Stayed in Hotel Alakapuri Ooty for a night. AVOID this place. Pathetic and overpriced food, unclean rooms. Surpisingly, this hotel has good reviews.
pramodpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 14:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Nilgiris | Getoff Destinations some lovely options there. Santosh is a friend and I'd trust his picks and taste in this respect.

We're also planning to start a place in the area - and looking at an old bungalow a little away from the bustle that Coonoor is. Essentially - stay away from the towns (unless its a charming old place like the YWCA) and usual 'spots'.
Old 27th March 2012, 22:02   #13
BHPian

A group of 8-10 people are planning to go to Ooty this weekend. We are looking for a group accommodation. Since we have our own vehicle, outskirts of Ooty is not a concern. Please suggest some good place which is economical as well.
Old 27th March 2012, 22:42   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
A group of 8-10 people are planning to go to Ooty this weekend. We are looking for a group accommodation. Since we have our own vehicle, outskirts of Ooty is not a concern. Please suggest some good place which is economical as well.
Check I-India. It's an old bungalow renovated kind of place. They've 4-5 rooms so you can book the whole place.

The view is excellent and its economical (~1300 per room).

Food is really bad but if you've a car, Ooty town and some good restaurants are just 10 mins away.
Old 8th April 2013, 23:09   #15
BHPian

Please suggest on a better resort for couples in and around Ooty/Nilgiris. I am looking to gift 3-4 day package for newly weds.

Please advise!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks