Team-BHP - Travelling to Europe. Need advice
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Travelling to Europe. Need advice (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/56810-travelling-europe-need-advice-10.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 3363129)
He said that costwise it won't make much of difference. What do people think?

I guess he may be right. Cost of train tickets especially if booked late is high. However that said if you have time you can opt for high speed trains for the sake of it. Travelling in a train doing 250 kmph+ is any day a better experience than a boring flight journey.

Since you are planning Paris one tip. As you get out of Paris main train station there is a small tourist help desk, you can get Paris sight seeing bus tickets (if you are opting for the same), city maps and museum tickets from here. This will save you time since museum ticket counter queues are real long.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 3363402)
Do you mean entire Europe including UK? If so, then I do not think there is such a thing. UK is still separate to Schengen for visas.

I meant a separate visa for UK and another one for Europe i.e. Schengen. I'm aware that a combined visa for both of them cannot be obtained:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sourabhzen (Post 3353975)
June end is good time. You can roam around in T shirts with not to much of rush there. 7-8 days is bit less.

I would suggest that you arrive in London, then Paris, Milan, Venice, Florence (only if you want to see Tower of Pisa), Rome and back. Can skip places based on your liking.

My plans have changed a bit. June end is not good for me. What about July end or early August - is that a good time for a trip to Italy, Paris and London - weather wise?

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 3372830)
What about July end or early August - is that a good time for a trip to Italy, Paris and London - weather wise?

July to August is a good time weather wise in Europe. It is also vacation time for many in France, Sweden, Italy, etc

Cheers!

Aug-Sep is the peak vacation time esp in the French Riviera. If you plan to visit Nice/Cannes/Antibe then you should book in advance.

July will be hot in Italy, but nothing unbearable.Rome was very hot when I went there in JULY last year. I don't know about Paris and London.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 3372830)
My plans have changed a bit. June end is not good for me. What about July end or early August - is that a good time for a trip to Italy, Paris and London - weather wise?

Its good time but as Volkman10 said, its crowded and expensive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrangeWizard (Post 3353977)
For the visa I recommend applying on your own. Just log on to the UK Border Agency website and fill up the visa form which is around 13 pages long. Take an appointment and visit the centre at Vile Parle East or any other branch. (There's one at Grant Road I think).

In the interview they'll ask basic stuff like your DOB etc. Easy enough and not worth taking the help of an agent.

Also, if you want to visit Paris, then take the visa for entire Europe and it takes just a few hours from London by train. That's the mistake I made in 2012 during my UK trip. I took only UK visa and hence missed out on visiting Paris.

Since I am visiting London, Paris & Italy, I would need a UK Visa and also a Schengen Visa, right?

I would be first going to London by air, then train from London to Paris & then from Paris to Italy by train.

I am spending more days in Italy than in Paris. I was told that in this case, I would have to get the Schengen Visa through the Italian Embassy rather than the French Embassy even though my port of European entry would be France. Is this correct? Even though it's just one Schengen Visa, do I have to pay 2 fees - one for France & one for Italy - will both destinations be mentioned in the Visa?

Also What do I need to do before apply for the Schengen Visa & the UK visa - does all my flight & train tickets need to be booked before applying for the Visa?

If tickets are necessary, then I guess for UK visa, I just need to take my flight ticket from India to London. However, for Schengen - what do I show - do I need to show my Flight ticket to London & also my train tickets from London to Paris & then from Paris to Italy?

Also can I apply for both Visas simultaneously or do I need to wait for one visa to come before I apply for other? Do they keep your passport and mail it back later - or do is the passport stamped on same day & returned?

Mod Note : Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post.

For the correct way to quote, please see this thread.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 3381562)
Since I am visiting London, Paris & Italy, I would need a UK Visa and also a Schengen Visa, right?

Yes both the visas

Quote:

I would be first going to London by air, then train from London to Paris & then from Paris to Italy by train.

I am spending more days in Italy than in Paris. I was told that in this case, I would have to get the Schengen Visa through the Italian Embassy rather than the French Embassy even though my port of European entry would be France. Is this correct? Even though it's just one Schengen Visa, do I have to pay 2 fees - one for France & one for Italy - will both destinations be mentioned in the Visa?
Not sure about this one.

Quote:

Also What do I need to do before apply for the Schengen Visa & the UK visa - does all my flight & train tickets need to be booked before applying for the Visa?

If tickets are necessary, then I guess for UK visa, I just need to take my flight ticket from India to London. However, for Schengen - what do I show - do I need to show my Flight ticket to London & also my train tickets from London to Paris & then from Paris to Italy?
Tickets are not necessary, at least for UK visa. In the application form there will be a box to fill out your approximate date of departure from India and approximate date of return to India.

Quote:

Also can I apply for both Visas simultaneously or do I need to wait for one visa to come before I apply for other? Do they keep your passport and mail it back later - or do is the passport stamped on same day & returned?
For UK visa they will keep your documents and passport with them and you will get everything back by courier once the visa is approved. Should take 10 days or so IIRC.

I think this might be helpful - UK Visa Website

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 3381562)

For Schengen visa, you would have to get it from the embassy where you are staying the longest. In your case, Italy. There is only one fee. Once you have the Schengen visa, you can go anywhere in Europe.

The port of entry matters if you are staying equal days in all countries. In that case you get the visa from the embassy, where you are entering Europe first.

Quote:

yes, for Schengen visa, you would have to have all the tickets and hotels booked. If you are not sure of where you are going to stay, book a hotel such as IBIS where you can usually cancel without any cancellation charge.

Quote:

It has to be sequential as you would have to submit your passport. Depending on the embassy, they might take more than a day or two.

I have having great difficulty creating a good itinerary for my Europe trip & all the travel agents (SOTC, C&K,TC etc) aren't really able to help - I was wondering if someone here can help.

I have a total of around 9 days. I want to visit Paris, Rome/Vatican, Venice & Leaning tower of Pisa. I am trying to plan a detailed itinerary (i.e. what time to reach what place & what time to take a train etc) and am getting thoroughly confused about it. If anyone is familiar enough with France and Italy to help me make an itinerary, please let me know.

I want to see Champs Elysees and Eiffel Tower in Paris.
I want to do a Gondola ride in Venice and wander around for a few hours
I want to spend a full day in Rome and a full day in Vatican
I want to see the leaning tower of Pisa.

Where should I start and what should be order of the cities (I am thinking to start in Italy & then go to Paris, but not sure what would be best order of cities inside Italy)

I am very scared that I will reach a place and I will not have enough time to do what I want to do. Also if anyone has suggestions as to at what locations I should request hotels at these places, that will also be very helpful.

Should I arrange for transfers to & from airports to hotel or is it something I can go there and figure out?

One tour guy told me flight would be cheaper to travel between Italy & Paris than a train. The other said train would be cheaper.

I am actually ready to pay the extra costs associated with these tour companies if they were experts at what they do, but atleast the reps I talk to don't seem to be.

Visiting Paris in the middle of July - the online tickets for Eiffel Tower are already booked out - so what's the best way to see the Eiffel Tower without standing in the line for many hours? There are some city towers which include the Tower tickets. Also do they allow you to the top? Are there different levels with different tickets?

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 3428280)
I have a total of around 9 days. I want to visit Paris, Rome/Vatican, Venice & Leaning tower of Pisa. I am trying to plan a detailed itinerary (i.e. what time to reach what place & what time to take a train etc) and am getting thoroughly confused about it. If anyone is familiar enough with France and Italy to help me make an itinerary, please let me know.

I want to see Champs Elysees and Eiffel Tower in Paris.
I want to do a Gondola ride in Venice and wander around for a few hours
I want to spend a full day in Rome and a full day in Vatican
I want to see the leaning tower of Pisa.

Where should I start and what should be order of the cities (I am thinking to start in Italy & then go to Paris, but not sure what would be best order of cities inside Italy)

I can help you with an itinerary. You need to confirm what is your port of entry and exit in Europe
If it were me, I would skip Venice and try probably Florence but thats your call

For Paris, check this short TL
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...itzerland.html

If you have 6 to 8 hours you can walk around the main areas of central Paris with reasonable fitness levels (indian standards)

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 3441583)
Visiting Paris in the middle of July - the online tickets for Eiffel Tower are already booked out - so what's the best way to see the Eiffel Tower without standing in the line for many hours? There are some city towers which include the Tower tickets. Also do they allow you to the top? Are there different levels with different tickets?

I am surprised online tickets are already sold out, even if it is peak month of July. if you are checking for the 14th July, forget it. it is national day and the eiffel tower is closed for fireworks, celebrations etc

My suggestion is to include 14th july in your itinerary if possible. you will get to see a nice national day parade with air force flypasts etc and also fireworks in the evening. but then you will need an extra day in Paris as you want to go up the tower.
There are different levels in the tower, for whic you get different tickets.

An alternative option (and a good one) is to walk up the Arc de Triomphe. The top terrace offers an amazing view of central Paris as it is located on one of the higher mounds of the city.

Any more questions, feel free to PM or quote me and reply in this thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by sourabhzen (Post 3442912)
No alternatives. Just stand in que and its is worth it.

There is :)
if you are enterprising enough you can walk up and down the stairs. I dont think there is a queue for that, for obvious reasons!

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 3441583)

No alternatives. Just stand in que and its is worth it.

You can buy tickets for different levels. Most tours include tickets upto lower levels only.

What's the best way to carry money for Italy and Paris? Should I carry travellers cheques, use my credit card, use a foreign exchange card or what? What is the currency in these 2 countries - is it Euro now or is it their local currency?