Team-BHP - Travelling to Europe. Need advice
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Travelling to Europe. Need advice (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/56810-travelling-europe-need-advice.html)

Guys im planning to travel to Switzerland-Paris-London and back. Its scheduled roughly from the 1st-16th of May. My wife and two sons, aged 12 and 8, will be accompanying me.

I have travelled to all these places before but its the first time for my Children in these parts of the world.

I have certain plans which i need to stick to for certain reasons.

Route:

Bombay-Frankfurt and then rent a car to Interlaken. Stay for four nights in Interlaken and drive down to Zurich via the Black Forest mountains to catch a flight to Paris. Does anyone have information on whether i can drop off a car in another country (as it was not possible from US to Canada when i visited last)

I would want to avoid coming back to Frankfurt toboard a flight from there.

Then which is a better car rental company to get a good deal.

Then Paris for 3-4 days (Hotel in Champs de Elysees or Opera/Haussman area)

Then from Paris to London by either Euro Star or to cross using the waterway.

London for a week. Need an apartment in Central London area (Zone one) preferably Hyde Park/Knightsbridge) I am told they are around 400-500 GBP/week. I am told recession is worst in Europe.

As i have two kids travelling with me im not very comfortable getting two separate rooms. Id rather have a larger kind of a room or a suite (inexpensive of course)

The areas i specify have been chosen as when one travels with kids, its best to stick to central areas as thats where you will be going anyways. Its like going to Singapore and not staying at Orchard Street.

Rooms not to be overtly expensive.

Appartment in London due to the food requirements of my kids.

I checked out the makemytrip.com site. They have a good deal for Switzerland.

So all you travel bugs there i need advice and tips and urgently too.
Thanks

Wow gogi sirjee. Have a happy trip.

In Central London, you should be able to get apartment easily -- try various online websites.

Make sure you visit (apart from central london/oxford/regent streets):

- Camden Town (For seeing/experiencing alternate/hippie culture)
- Portobello Market (For antiques)

Cheers,

Do try some options via expedia.co.in or travelocity.com.

Also, try to do some research on tripadvisor on the hotels you shortlist.

Apart from that, I'll wait for the Yeti's advice! Good luck!!

Thanks Guys.

Yes Shah i would agree with you on the must visit Camden and Portobello. I always land up there during my visits, especially Portobello.
Which sites would you recommend and what would an apartment cost for a week?

I would love some advice on the places to stay if anyone has used such an apartment.

Did you try these & similar sites:

Central London/Zone 1 vacation apartments - Vacation rentals in Central London/Zone 1, UK England

London apartments and London flats self catering and serviced vacation rentals

London Serviced apartments London short let apartments

London Serviced Apartments: Apartments - City of London

London Apartments, Serviced Apartments in London and the UK

Cheers,

Boss, you can rent a car in Europe and do a cross country drop. The cross country drop would cost anywhere between 60 to 200 Euros depending on which hub you drop the car.
I would suggest to try Budget / Sixt / Europcar / Avis+ Hertz in that
order.

Car Rentals from Budget
Rent a Car:*rental cars, vans & limousine service*- SIXT
Rent a car with Europcar, Europe's Leading Car Rental Company

Can be easily booked online and the cheaper ones will have cars with more Bang for the buck :)( You could pick up a Beemer for a Ford Focus Price)
You can book through their sites directly mentioning as accurate pickup and drop off times as possible.
Go to their sites, put in drop in drop off dates and compare prices. Book. Should be a quick one.

Enjoy your journey..:thumbs up

Gogi

try the following and talk to them,usually a bit of negotiation can get you a superb deal.
Brentford Dock Apartment - Quality holiday and short-term apartments for rent - Wright Apartments

this is close to picadilly like which takes you directly to oxford/picadilly circus.

and its close to docs as well.and the aprtment look gud.

Quote:

Originally Posted by V-16 (Post 1260576)
Bombay-Frankfurt and then rent a car to Interlaken. Stay for four nights in Interlaken and drive down to Zurich via the Black Forest mountains to catch a flight to Paris. Does anyone have information on whether i can drop off a car in another country (as it was not possible from US to Canada when i visited last)

Then Paris for 3-4 days (Hotel in Champs de Elysees or Opera/Haussman area)

1. you intend to land in FRA and drive to Interlaken on the same day? Your kids will be tired. Better check with the car companies (Hertz, Avis, Eurocar, etc..) if they will allow a FRA pickup and a Paris drop off I doubt this.

2. Paris - why not left bank?
Are you looking at Marriott, Raddison, Hilton or Sofitel?
If your kids get tired go on the Segway tour. I have not tried it but friends enjoyed it.
I have used Napolean but it is about Euro 200 per night (ok for a business trip for expensive for a holiday). Why not try the Novotel? I believe they are part of the Dorint group now or maybe the Best Western.

I called up Bradford Elysées (a Best Western Hotel) but they are looking at Euro 150 per night for a 4 night minimum for that price the Amarante Champs-Elysées is a better buy.

have you tried using hotels.com?
LINK

Sorry I cant help more. Since you got so many BHPians working on London I'll try and work on Paris.

You could use hrs.com for Hotel rooms and take your pick.

Thanks guys. Shah your inks really helped. Im still deciding so if anyone knows of any more places, please keep me filled in. Thanks. Awaiting more inputs please.

Citadines Service Apartments at Trafalgar Square. A bit expensive than the others but EVERYTHING is within walking distance so you save on your commuting costs. They have a few others at other locations as well.
Otherwise try the TravelLodge at Covent Garden/Holborn. Its close to the 2 tube stations making commuting really easy. They again have hotels at other locations but this is the best located. Family hotel with amazing rooms. I paid 60GBP a night for a double room around Christmas/New Years time last year.

If you are not comfortable with driving, then you can get a Eurorail pass for like 21 days. But I guess for 4 people driving works out cheaper and more flexible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by V-16 (Post 1266366)
Thanks guys. Shah your inks really helped. Im still deciding so if anyone knows of any more places, please keep me filled in. Thanks. Awaiting more inputs please.

Update? have you booked your rooms yet. if you are in Paris you gotta do something like this
4 Night River Seine Cruise from Paris to the Normandy coast

Normandy + Saint Malo + Mont Saint Michel + Chateau country - 4 days / 3 nights - Summer Only - Tour Paris

Try these for service apartments

London Apartments - All London Apartments in Safe London Areas

Serviced Apartments in London, Edinburgh, Birmingham, New York, Paris, Dubai - SilverDoor

Serviced, Short Stay & Short Let Flats, Studio & Apartments around the UK & in Central London

For something cheaper try
SACO - The Worldwide Serviced Apartment Network
only problem with the last link is, the cheaper aparments tend to be a bit further away from the westend, ie CanaryWarf etc...

No i have not even booked my tickets. Awaiting my Swiss visa and then i get cracking. I have found a lot of good options courtesy you guys. Thanks. Will inform my route and stay details. Maybe it might help someone in the future.